Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I see sigurdsson is about to sign for spurs. cracking signing for them. probably a replacement for Van Der Vaart or Modric

I still LOL at people saying he could come to us.

To be fair the argument was that we should be looking to sign that kind of player, because as mentioned he was interested in joining Swansea. Either way, it'd be very strange for him to sign for Spurs when they don't currently have a manager. Very risky if it happens (which I doubt it will). Seems Liverpool aren't interested now, looks like Sigurdsson isn't considered good enough now Rogers has joined Liverpool.

and you spend your spare time on this forum ?

:lol:

Yeah to be honest I can't really say anything to that, ha ha.

Maybe it's the entertainment value - I'm also eyeing up an offer for Turkish, I want a job lot of those foam hands.

Oh hang on, er... Right, let's sign someone from some club at some point. Phew, back on topic.

Mackie signed a contract extension at QPR at the end of the season did he not?

He did, He scored about 1 in 4 which is very good for a winger who defends as well as he does.

Not one person on our forums thought we should sell so if gives you an idea of how silly we thought it was.

Maybe the rumour monger got him mixed up with Barton! Saints are 4th favs to sign him.

It's a shame he seems to like money so much more than football. Could have scored some goals the last few years. Wonder if he'll continue in his role as Man Utd twitter mascot.

Everyone berates player principles but would you not do the same? Football is a passion but when it's your job and you have grueling, long term injuries, your views may change. You're still paid but have to find some outlet. Would you stay in your job and not go to a rival company and relocate if you you had a 150% pay rise? Or the location suited your passion?

Footballers do earn big money but many live to their means. Footballers get shed loads, too much, but have a short shelf life. For me, I would clamber for every penny I could in the key years since there is no guarantee you'll get a job as a condescending, questionable sway BBC sports pundit with a bad haircut or inept ITV commentator. In rarefied money circles that Owen is lucky enough to circulate, he may be very shrewd in combing his career/boosting his wealth through a passion or business deals that can take over as his football career ends rather than the stereotypical route. Or he just loves horses and has enough money not to worry. Whichever, he doesn't have to be of an obsessed, loyal and die hard, dedicated footballer mentality as fans expect. He may have got bored and fallen out of love with the game and constant training. It takes its toll. Yes, we're jealous we don't earn that but no harm in preparing for retirement or your next new venture/investment. When you have money but no more assured large income, you make new plans. Maybe Owen just doing that...or he is just money hungry but I am too. I'd rather earn 5 times what I earn. Who wouldn't. Just cos you earn loads, doesn't mean it's immoral to want more. Bit greedy possibly since he's minted and actually, Owen is a bad example. I do think he acts like football owes him something like many big names or their talent deserves such riches, if that isn't unfair. Arrogance I am unsure although it's the staple for millionaires and footballer on the stage they are on, particularly attacking players, have that in abundance. Maybe that's what killed our international pride. Fame rather than pride. Sad modern attitude but I'm not here for social rehab. Britain is already broken.

I always love the stories of Balotelli - buying an entire fore-court of a petrol station fuel, helping the kid being bullied, homeless man given a grand and the police pulling him over and asking why he had tens of grand lying on his seat....."Cos I am rich!" if that figure accurate. Wayne Bridge was out drinking with a rucksack with thousands in. Bit silly as people know what they earn and only takes one person to see to get you mugged (esp. at the mo) but got to laugh at their attitude. I'd probably sp*nk money and chuck it around like Marcus Tandy if I earned it but put it to good use too (I like to think, in these times more than ever since corporations running the world don't seem so fussed about the common man - what does power breed? Greedy megalomaniacs intent on more power).

I sadly, earn in a year what many PL players do in a week. Lucky feckers!! I want more players like Balotelli - Spread the love and the cash...just cos it's cool and very amusing.

Edited by Gordon Mockles

I knwo it's ambitious, but Fulham are interested in him...Aaron Ramsey? He would fit in well here I think.

Would be amazing but I don't think we could afford him nor would he want to come. He'd want medals and we have a way to build to consolidated PL team again. Small steps but think that's a bit too wishful thinking. Would be amazing, don't get me wrong but the wage structure won't be smashed and no amount of agent grovelling will change that. Hard cash talks!

Even though Ince has developed brilliantly over the last year, I just feel the PL would be too much too quick. As an investment, yes go get him, but for a regular RM spot, no way not yet.

Id prefer Matt Phillips out of the 2. Has more about his game and gets in, around and beyond the strikers to chip in with goals (similar to Guly) and I think those 2 (Phillips & Guly) would be good options for RM next season.

Edited by itchen_dan

No I wouldn't do the same. If I had the chance to play I wouldn't spend it wasting away in reserves or going off to some oil rich country with no decent leagues. It's not like you can't still play and make a fortune. Can't stand balotelli but can't fault him as he's clearly keen to play every week. It's a stupid sport that pays someone that much but he's not exactly going to turn it down. But he'd get that mega money anywhere, so ultimately is more likely to make decisions on a football basis. Owen is still just chasing money. Up to him, no rule that players have to be passionate about playing, just puts me off some of them.

Money aside, I miss proper characters in the game who were vaguely likeable, funny or just plain hard. Now we have people mistaking being c-unts for interesting characters, play actors rather than hard men, shouting and getting defensive rather than banter. Glad saints seem to have a fairly decent bunch of lads at the club these days it's refreshing. Puncheon and that 'keeper' I'm not allowed to mention aside.

That's a good post and I'm inclined to agree with you. I thought had an issue with wanting to earn money. We all do. But, the money they earn is mental and Owen - on reflection - does seem to have this new age footballer mentality which is awful. Like the world owes them something cos of their talent but I guess that's what happens when you earn in one week what the average UK worker takes 3 or 4 years to earn and are surrounded by yes men, coaches bigging you up and clubs wrapping you in cotton wool to protect your sensitive feelings from doubt which could lead to a bad performance. They must eventually believe the hype...then there's agents stirring matters up even more. Oh well, it's fun to watch. I agree, footballers should want to play. In retrospect, it's like turning up to work and doing the bare min, leaving on time and refusing any overtime. No commitment or care. Contracts should be honoured and I do think companies would happily have us work countless, free overtime hours (unpaid) yet would they allow us the odd impromptu day off? Or course not but we should have a mentality of care which too many, in and out of football or in our arena (middle classes), don't have these days. In that respect, we'll never be like footballers - they get paid whether they play or not but it's all the training and coaching the bulk of their work. It's the matches that are the scrutiny and platform for all.

I've digressed massively, I apologise. As you say, we have a great mentality built up and an unusually good team spirit for which I am proud of Nigel and his team. Only bring in those of the right mental capacity (unlike Puncheon and the actions spell it out as a good lesson to those bad boy/ego types who like to draw attention and ignore the rules - no place at Southampton). Great football article (SHOCK) by Le Saux in The Echo. Sums it up well, hence why Hammond shouldn't not be near the squad. Creates very little, slow, reads the game a little slow yet doesn't really defend that much. Nullifies his use and he'll get sent off like a shot with some of his clumsy, reckless challenges. Interested to see how Morgan Fares and Chaplow works hard but does he have the quality for PL? Maybe good as back up. Would love to see a few quality additions spread across the squad, excluding forwards.

Lots of rumours and talk but not much yet. Now the Euros are over, hoping it hots up.

Even though Ince has developed brilliantly over the last year, I just feel the PL would be too much too quick. As an investment, yes go get him, but for a regular RM spot, no way not yet.

Id prefer Maa Phillips out of the 2. Has more about his game and gets in, around and beyond the strikers to chip in with goals (similar to Guly) and I think those 2 (Phillips & Guly) would be good options for RM next season.

Matt Phillips would be good but I am very unsure as to Guly in the PL. He may improve with the space but I have a feeling his lack of jumping for headers, showing too much of the ball and hesitating will get punished in the PL with the pace and physical nature of the league. It's more intense.

Matt Phillips would be good but I am very unsure as to Guly in the PL. He may improve with the space but I have a feeling his lack of jumping for headers, showing too much of the ball and hesitating will get punished in the PL with the pace and physical nature of the league. It's more intense.

I think the key to Guly is very much a mental issue. When he is up for it and is on his game, at times he is superb and lots of teams cannot track him or stop him. However, this is not often enough. I feel he gets slated too often and too harshly for a poor touch or misplaced pass but I can remember numerous times last season when Lambert or Lallana mistouched it or played a wrong pass but gets applauded for the idea whereas Guly gets slaughtered from all parts of the ground. But, when he is in the right frame of mind and often when on the right wing, it gives him a freedom to drift in, link up with the RB and Lambert and run the channels and often see quite a bit of the ball. We know he can score goals (as proven last year and in L1) and this is where he suits the position of the RM role.

He is definitely a confidence player and when you get grumbles and murmurs of discontent around the game, you can see he gets frustrated and tries to do things that when he's on his game, he can do but when he's ****ed off because of , it all goes wrong.

Guly was very average in L1, awful in the championship but will be awesome in the Prem?

I don't know how you can say he was average in L1 and awful in the Championship?! Numerous times in L1 he looked a class above with his little touches and flair play but didn't score many goals i agree. Maybe this was something to do with the fact he couldn't speak English and may have found it slightly hard settling in. In the Championship, he simplified his game but scored goals and he still gets slated? I must be mad because I'm sure I can remember him scoring some good goals, creating chances, assisting in attacks? At the start of last season, he was a KEY player to our system and a lot of the time, caused the opposition plenty of problems. I never said he'd be awesome in the Prem but I just feel like many other players, who have stepped up the levels over the years that people didn't think would make it, he would suit it better as games are much more stretched and open and he's a clever player. He'll find the space, get in the holes but he'll definitely be a very good member of the 25 man squad.

What point are you trying to make MLG?

You said Hooiveld only played "half a season" yet managed nearly as many goals as Guly, I pointed out he played in 85% (39 out of 46 games) of Saints Championship games. He actually started more games than Guly Do Prado last season. Is that "half a season" as you said?

Plus as I also said Hooiveld's goals were also a very different type of goal to that of Guly - a centre back coming up for set pieces type goals.

It's a matter of statistics over what you actually see with your own eyes with Guly. Yes he scored goals for us last season and got the assists, but at times the guy didn't know what a football was. He would walk back from offside positions, give up when he was being tightly marked, complain when it wasn't going right for him.

I always remember the Hull game, which first kicked off one or two of the Guly Defence League on here with threads like 'Lay off Guly'. The first half he was worse than awful, second half he got the equaliser - at the second time of asking, it must be said. I'd like to think as a Premier League club we would have invested to the extent where we have strength in depth, so that if he does put in a **** poor performance, someone else can come in with no problems.

Unforunately a lot of people refuse to comment on Guly in such a way. Why? There are people that can't stand one of their boys getting criticised, or don't like to hear a different opinion expressed, and so immediately intervene and berate them.

Overall Guly has scored 22 goals in 85 appearances for Saints. For a wide midfielder who rarely plays through the middle, that is a pretty decent return.

Last year 9 of his 11 goals came from playing up front with Lambert. Once Sharp and Lee came in and Guly moved to midfield the goals completely dried up. He hasn't scored any since they signed.

I went for a jog this morning past St Marys and there was a unusual Sports Car in the Car Park (something like a Mustange or Firebird or AlfaRomeo - sorry I'm not very good with cars).

Anyhow the Reg No was "SCO7T TJ" and the plates had a "Scottish Flag" on the left and "Scotland" under the Reg no (SCO7T TJ).

Are any of the Rangers players called "Scott" ? or have an Agent with that name ?

(It was parked a row away from what I believe to be Nicola's car)

Think Guly would have scored double that if up front all season. At times he was excellent last season. But when in L1 I said I thought he'd be the same player regardless of league, i.e. anonymous at times, awful other times, brilliant sometimes and requiring better players on his wavelength sometimes. He'll try things other players don't, so risk making mistakes more.

If he plays top flight, I can see him having plenty of good and bad games as always.

Exactly the point i'm trying to get across. Sort of consistently inconsistent.

Think Guly would have scored double that if up front all season.

Quite a bold statement. I think you've already mentioned what would have stood in the way of him achieving that given the opportunity - one game he might score two and look like getting a hat-trick (Boro) but the next game his first touch would desert him and he'd be huffing and puffing, throwing his hands about because he couldn't escape his marker.

Just 20 goals in the championship. I don't think you need to be that consistent to do it. He'd definitely be a Beattie like player scoring in bursts, but he's also capable of a wide range of goals. Not sure how many games he did play for us up front but he did pretty well. I think the best we played all season was with him and Lambert up front. Not that Sharp and Lee didn't do well.

20 goals doesn't sound a great deal - I think Rasiak managed that before Christmas in 06/07, but better players than Guly have failed to do it.

Despite the fact we continued to win games and score enough goals, I always felt we looked far, far better when Lee was in the side. He really added something a bit special, I'm really looking forward to his return.

20 goals doesn't sound a great deal - I think Rasiak managed that before Christmas in 06/07, but better players than Guly have failed to do it.

Despite the fact we continued to win games and score enough goals, I always felt we looked far, far better when Lee was in the side. He really added something a bit special, I'm really looking forward to his return.

This

I went for a jog this morning past St Marys and there was a unusual Sports Car in the Car Park (something like a Mustange or Firebird or AlfaRomeo - sorry I'm not very good with cars).

Anyhow the Reg No was "SCO7T TJ" and the plates had a "Scottish Flag" on the left and "Scotland" under the Reg no (SCO7T TJ).

Are any of the Rangers players called "Scott" ? or have an Agent with that name ?

(It was parked a row away from what I believe to be Nicola's car)

:suspicious:

Just 20 goals in the championship. I don't think you need to be that consistent to do it.

20 goals doesn't sound a great deal

20 goals last season would make you the Championship's 3rd top scorer.

I think Rasiak managed that before Christmas in 06/07.

He had 15 on Christmas day 2006.

My main concern apart from a back up centre back right now is the back up goal keeper. Would we really of let Bart go if we hadn't definitely got someone ready to sign in his place? Seems pretty risky if the answer is yes.

Whilst I'd hope that we do have someone lined up (and I'm convinced that is the case - scouts will have identified someone and it's a case of getting them), is there any point in keeping someone who wants first team football whose abilities we have doubts over? No, I don't think so. For that reason I'd say letting him go and leaving us with one goalkeeper isn't such a terrible idea - especially when there are still two months until the season starts, which is plenty of time to bring someone in.