Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Another Euro suggestion, Ivan Strinic. 24 year old Croatia LB seems to have a bit of pace and one heck of a cross on him. Plays for Dnipro in Ukraine so would be a realistic target IMO.

Do we need a LB ?

I do accept the 'improve' and signing 'better than we already have' policy of course but there are other more important areas to recruit for.

Do we need a LB ?

I do accept the 'improve' and signing 'better than we already have' policy of course but there are other more important areas to recruit for.

Dickson is a mid-table League 1 player

Harding is a mid-table Championship player

Fox is a very good Championship player.

Are any of them Premier League quality? Fox possibly and he'd be a decent player to have in the squad, but definitely not the other 2.

As Adrian says, signing players on the back of a decent tournament is a risky and often silly business. It's just an internet HCDAJFU discussion so what the heck, I've no idea how good Strinic is. Hang on, I'll ask some Ukrainians.

Are any of them Premier League quality? Fox possibly and he'd be a decent player to have in the squad, but definitely not the other 2.

They may settle with Fox and Harding for a year, although not ideal, they may not want to obstruct Luke Shaw's progression into the side.

They may settle with Fox and Harding for a year, although not ideal, they may not want to obstruct Luke Shaw's progression into the side.

If Shaw is to progress into the side, he will have to prove he is worthy of a place in a Premier League team. He shouldn't get in just because Harding isn't that good. Clearly Shaw wasn't ready for the first team last year and he is even further from the Premier League. I think if anything he should be loaned out a team in League 1 or 2.

In the mean time, I fail to see the point in hanging on to Harding if he clearly is not good enough.

Another Euro suggestion, Ivan Strinic. 24 year old Croatia LB seems to have a bit of pace and one heck of a cross on him. Plays for Dnipro in Ukraine so would be a realistic target IMO.

Would not all be surprised if he ended up at Everton, if it sells Leighton Baines to Man Utd.

As Adrian says, signing players on the back of a decent tournament is a risky and often silly business. It's just an internet HCDAJFU discussion so what the heck, I've no idea how good Strinic is. Hang on, I'll ask some Ukrainians.

Probably a fair summary of our LB options.

With defenders people will have to accept that just about every defence in the top flight was ripped to pieces a couple of times or more last season. It will happen, there are some superb attackers up there and not as many great defenders as there used to be. Getting destroyed by Bale, Nani, Mata or whoever doesn't mean a player isn't up to it. Fox will probably be a half decent top flight full back over the season. He'll need to improve a bit, and I don't think he'll ever be outstanding in that league, but he seems good enough for a lower mid-table side.

I just hope we can avoid the predictable 'sign 11 new players' stuff if/when we get stuffed. Worth remembering the last 2 seasons a side has won 4-0 away on the opening day and been relegated. The 2 sides they beat 4-0 both stayed up. A stuffing could happen first day, last day, whenever. It's how a team responds and whether it can pick up points that matters. Bet we dish out at least 1 stuffing too.

I dont disagree with that Adrian. Bale tore Maicon a new one last season, one of the worlds bet right backs. If the top players turn up then few can live with them. Are Richardson and Fox good enough to stop the likes of Surman, Etherington, Pilkington, Sinclair and Dyer? Probably and that is going to be more important.

Apparantly Shalke and Liverpool want him as well. Would be amazing but unlikely.

do you realise how big we are these days..?

Sorry, was slipping back into the Dell sized mentality i've been working so hard to shake off. YES GO GET HIM NICOLA!!!!!

Well, if you want to use that line of logic, the media said Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Everton wanted Jay Rodriguez. Where did he end up...

Well, if you want to use that line of logic, the media said Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Everton wanted Jay Rodriguez. Where did he end up...

Shut up you wierdo and go and answer my question on the £14m thread.

A couple of opinions on Strinic FWIW.

Croatian fan: "Strinic is one of the more criticized players on the Croatian NT. He is decent going forward and does have a good cross, but at times clumsy in defense. I think at Dnipro they sometimes use him as a midfielder."

Ukrainian fan: "On Strinic - I've seen him a few times this year - often looked one of Dnipro's best players despite their bad year. He's consistently been a good attacking left back"

I dont disagree with that Adrian. Bale tore Maicon a new one last season, one of the worlds bet right backs. If the top players turn up then few can live with them. Are Richardson and Fox good enough to stop the likes of Surman, Etherington, Pilkington, Sinclair and Dyer? Probably and that is going to be more important.

This is exactly right.

We will concede goals to players like Rooney and Bale. Because everyone does, on their day.

Our job is to do our best against them - that's all anyone can do. But we have to be realistic about finding players to cope with the best attackers in the world on form. You can't because no-one can...

I'd like to see this so that during the "Has he signed??, I've got strong ketchups that say..." saga leading up to it, the Echo would have the guts to print the headline "Dann's Syndrome".

On a more serious note I wouldn't pay 6 million quid for him. Infact I wouldn't pay a lot more than 3 million. We're better off looking abroad if they won't sell for 3 million.

I'd like to see this so that during the "Has he signed??, I've got strong ketchups that say..." saga leading up to it, the Echo would have the guts to print the headline "Dann's Syndrome".

On a more serious note I wouldn't pay 6 million quid for him. Infact I wouldn't pay a lot more than 3 million. We're better off looking abroad if they won't sell for 3 million.

Agreed. £6m is a ridiculous fee considering we've been linked with Curtis Davies for half that price.

Obviously just a rumour I guess but anyone got any info on Alessandro Crescenzi? Italian under 21 player attacking right back?

Sounds like something saints could pull off and the type off player that would fit in with NC?

Don't believe anything you read on this site...

http://www.southamptonrumours.co.uk/

Any idiot can post a "rumour" on it, and they certainly do...

Big time bottler as well. I'm not a massive fan of Corluka tbh, as you can tell. It'd be like having Mikael Nilsson at RB again ;)

Likewise, he is far too causal. Not good enough at right back or centre half. Not sure how he makes the Croatian national side.

Obviously just a rumour I guess but anyone got any info on Alessandro Crescenzi? Italian under 21 player attacking right back?

Sounds like something saints could pull off and the type off player that would fit in with NC?

Nothing in the italian press although I suspect he'll leaving Bari (2nd div) soon: there was already talk last season and now Bari are in the s**t with the betting scandal, and Ultras (I nearly wrote fans there...) threatening players.

One name in the frame (and remember folks, foreign rumours are no more reliable than UK rumours) is Dani Benitez from Udinese [now where have we heard that name..], but as he's been on loan in Spain where he's had a 3 month ban for throwing a [plastic] bottle at the ref I'm not sure there'd be a place on the bus for him..

I'd like to send a message to whoever it is that keeps making Twitter accounts, claiming to be a transfer rumours website or an agent.

The message is as follows: Stop it. Get a life.

I'd like to say the same to the idiots who actually believe these accounts. Agents will NOT disclose details on twitter except on very rare occasions when it's already in the public domain.