Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

but then again in this `highlight of everything he did against Swansea' video you perhaps get a truer picture. He reminds me of de Ridder in this one, but with worse passing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oInCBB7WhEw

I guess some days wingers look the nuts and in others things don't work out.

That's the way with wingers though I guess, sometimes you have to accept their frustrations in order to see their true quality. Even Robben had one of those games in the CL...

Can't see us getting Green. I also really hope we don't get Green. If we did sign Green it would be ironic as Kelvin could of left us to sit on the bench in the premier league for west ham while Green played. But he stayed loyal and more than played his part to get us back to the premier league

Now he could possibly end up bench warming for Green, for us in the premier league. Its just totally wrong in my opinion.

if loyalty was the only criteria, we'd have a real shock to see a team made up purely of such players.

I think KD has done a great job, and been loyal, too but this is the Premier League and many clubs have two international goalies on their books and no-one has a guarantee of top spot. Loyal or not, if KD flops .....or gets injured - we need a quality alternative. Green would provide that.

It's not so long ago we had both Paul Jones AND Antti Niemi on the books - they got along OK ...and we changed them about from time to time.

Naldo from Werder Bremen - 6ft 6 centre back - the Daily Mail have linked us to him, Scott Dann, Matthew Upson and Zat Knight.

Not sure he fits the profile of the kind of player we are supposed to be after - a bit too old with a fairly serious recent injury.

Of those 4 I'd prefer Scott Dann if truth be told

And so it begins!!!....... The euros is always a killer, most of the names people have mentioned may be new to some people on here but they are well kown to football pros. Dzageov for example is very highly rated, paid more now than we ever could and top clubs keep looking at him, just because you have not heard of him before today does not mean he would join us.

Remember how good poborsky was and how that turned out for united. Be wary of good players at the Euro's

Same could be said of Douif at the world cup in 2002.

If clubs have their wits about them, they'd identify who is worth it before hand. Buying players on the back of a 4 week tournament is desperate.

And so it begins!!!....... The euros is always a killer, most of the names people have mentioned may be new to some people on here but they are well kown to football pros. Dzageov for example is very highly rated, paid more now than we ever could and top clubs keep looking at him, just because you have not heard of him before today does not mean he would join us.

This.

The idea that Dzageov, Pizscek or Selassie have been suddenly discovered tonight on this forum is funny but not as funny as the idea that they would join us.

I thought Zhirkov looked decent again. Chelsea certainly didn't get the best out of him but these guys are miles out of our league. The question is, are there players at the Euros that would be willing to come to us? Butland?

Alan Dzageov from the Russia game on now. 21 years old, has said he wants to play in the Premiership - GIVE HIM ALL OUR MONEY - he has been class.

You realise his club rate him at around £40m don't you? The likes of Real, Barca and Man Utd have been tracking him for some time.

Fifa licensed agent tweeted this, in response to the question ''how many signings/how ambitious will we be..."

expect a few Shrewd signings. As for ambition £7mil on a striker of JR quality, plenty of ambition

I could have told you that.

If JR turns us down (for whatever reason) should I expect lots of people on here doubting our ambition?

Not at all. At least not unless we "know the full reasons" quoted from Adkins or cortese or JR or a combination!!

I think the time to judge the so-called ambition is at the end of this transfer window. You never know we may miss out on JR (for whatever reason) and then spend £10 million on someone the week after!

I am hopeful, not just because of my emotional attachment to the club but from a logical perspective. Everything Cortese has done and is doing suggests that there is now more ambition than ever, or at least ambition that is planned in every detail, considering all outcomes and more importantly properly funded.

Why would you buy a club just to become a yo-yo club and flirt with the bottom echelons of the Premier League. It's not the prudent thing to do. A certain level of investment (of course unknown) is designed to ensure that the club can survive "on its own merits" in the future...probably in 5 to 8 years time.

I think there is no doubt regardless of the JR outcome that this club has serious ambition. For once we are are very lucky.................even if it does cost us a little bit more....it's a brilliant time to support Saints after the Askham and Lowe years!!!

Fifa licensed agent tweeted this, in response to the question ''how many signings/how ambitious will we be..."

expect a few Shrewd signings. As for ambition £7mil on a striker of JR quality, plenty of ambition

If we look at the squad and keep a bit conservative (we aren't having any more full backs for example) then we will by 2 goalkeepers (forget Forecast); 1-2 centrebacks (how highly do we rate Seaborn?); 1 midfielder and one striker. Even that amount to 5-6 new signings! When did we see that the last time. The idea that we are in the market for every position in the team is naive.

If we look at the squad and keep a bit conservative (we aren't having any more full backs for example) then we will by 2 goalkeepers (forget Forecast); 1-2 centrebacks (how highly do we rate Seaborn?); 1 midfielder and one striker. Even that amount to 5-6 new signings! When did we see that the last time. The idea that we are in the market for every position in the team is naive.

I know that was only used as an example, but I'd be surprised if we did not bring in another rb at leaset

I would expect 2 new centrebacks as Martin has gone out on loan to get games - and as he's over 21 he would count as one of the 25 - and Seabourne is unproven at Championship level let alone Premiership - plus I think he will be on his way partly because of this.

I'm expecting 2 new fullbacks!

I would also expect at least 1 new rightback and either Richardson or Butterfield wil leave - and 1 new left back as I suspect both Dickson and Harding will be on their way.

That's on top of 1 if not 2 new strikers, 2 goalkeepers, at least 1 central midfielder and 1 winger.

I think we'll see quite a few players come and go this summer.

I would expect 2 new centrebacks as Martin has gone out on loan to get games - and as he's over 21 he would count as one of the 25 - and Seabourne is unproven at Championship level let alone Premiership - plus I think he will be on his way partly because of this.

I'm expecting 2 new fullbacks!

I would also expect at least 1 new rightback as either Richardson or Butterfield wil leave - and 1 new left back as I suspect both Dickson and Harding will be on their way.

That's on top of 1 if not 2 new strikers, 2 goalkeepers, at least 1 central midfielder and 1 winger.

I think we'll see quite a few players come and go this summer.

Richardson and Butterfield won't leave, I think that's one position which will remain untouched. We also have Stephens coming through there.

Left back is another one which I can see staying the same, Fox will be first choice and we now have young Shaw - and we don't want to block his pathway by signing another LB.

We'll get 1 GK, not 2.

Would only expect to see GK, CB (possibly 2 now), RW, 1 Striker and maybe a CM. - but let's not forget we also have Ward-Prowse coming up to play there. The alst thing the club will want to do is sign ''squad'' players in positions we already have cover in, thereby blocking the youth.

I think we'll see 6 max in this summer to add to the spine of the side. Not many out, maybe a few loans.

'Maybe' a CM?! That's the most important position, we're very weak there. Cork and Morgan don't seem that suited to playing together, Hammond despite his effort probably isn't good enough, and Ward-Prowse has hardly had any game time. Surely the youth having to be better to break in is a good thing? Rather than relying on them because we didn't sign anyone? Screw squad players, we need a CM to go straight in there and partner Morgan or Cork.

Diame would've been quality but he's apparently off to Liverpool or United.

Diame would've been quality but he's apparently off to Liverpool or United.

Shame we've missed out on him. No idea how good he is, but would have been no problem finding a song for him .."There ain't nothing like a Diame.."

Richardson and Butterfield won't leave, I think that's one position which will remain untouched. We also have Stephens coming through there.

Left back is another one which I can see staying the same, Fox will be first choice and we now have young Shaw - and we don't want to block his pathway by signing another LB.

We'll get 1 GK, not 2.

Would only expect to see GK, CB (possibly 2 now), RW, 1 Striker and maybe a CM. - but let's not forget we also have Ward-Prowse coming up to play there. The alst thing the club will want to do is sign ''squad'' players in positions we already have cover in, thereby blocking the youth.

I think we'll see 6 max in this summer to add to the spine of the side. Not many out, maybe a few loans.

I think your being very optimistic about the ability of our players to step up to the Premier League - and also how soon our youth players will step into the first team.

We won't be signing squad players - we will be signing players for the first 11 - if anything I can see players like Fox and Richardson becoming second choice and not starters. Shaw, Stephens and Ward-Prowse will become the squad players. We certainly need to replace either Butterfield or Richardson with a first choice right back who can defend.

If we sign Jay Rodriguez I expect him to start over Sharp or Lee - and expect Barnard to be moved on - at least on loan for a season in the Championship if nothing else as he basically missed last season. Seabourne the same.

latest round up on the rumour sites..

the usual of

J-rod signing imminent

Guthrie

Green

T Ince (with puncheon going the other way)

De Bruyne

Butland

also

Whitbread

Dirk Michelles

Scott Dann

Seb Coates (loan)

clyne (with butterfield going the other way)

There is an awful lot of suggestions made from wishes and dreams here, and precious little based on any analysis of what NC and NA is trying to do. I, for instance, fancy a 4-3-3 way of playing, but based on all the evidence, that is how that matter will end: As my wish, whilst we are playing 4-4-2. No point in discussing it at the moment, is there?

With 3 LBs and 2 RBs in the senior squad, one of which (Butterfield) who has just been given an extended contract, PLUS 2 highly rated youngsters, which it is our policy to bring on, I am struggling to find any evidence to back up the wishes and dreams in that department.

I would welcome a discussion about whether we will have 2 or 3 GKs in our permitted 25. We haven't got any young GKs elevated to the senior squad, which makes it too thin to rely entirely on somebody like Butland, however talented, but he needs to be in the first team squad to advance into a no 1 keeper. The evidence seem to say 2 GKs on their way in, one experienced and one a young talent. (Discuss)

I think 5 or 6 signings is most likely. GK, DC, DC, MC, AMR, SC.

But if Clyne/Trippier etc became available, and Nige felt they'd improve us, then it wouldn't surprise me if moved to strengthen the full-back positions. Pace is our biggest weakness at the moment.

We'll get 1 GK, not 2

I 100% agree with your point about not blocking the youth breaking in to the 1st team! Jack Stephens is currently a RB, but he will be a CB in the future,

I also think there is a good chance of us signing either Clyne or Zaha from Crystal Palace now that we have loaned them Aaron Martin, fingers crossed!

how good would it be if we actually signed.....

J-rod

Jarvis

Guthrie

C. Davies

Butland/Green

Clyne

A N Other CB

would probably mean...out going would also be

Butterfield

Barnard

Forte

it would be excellent. I'm still very confused why Butterfield would get another contract if we didn't feel he could play a part next season.

Very likely to go to Villa, IMO.

Lambert worked with him before according to reports.

We tend to overlook this left hand side. Lallana is a shoe in, but where is the competition and the replacement? Chaplow did well there I suppose when Adam was out.

Geoff Cameron American CB, know very little about him, name came up during a conversation with a friend in Texas, he heard we are looking at him.

This would make me very happy. Have seen a lot of him in the MLS, has been called up to the national team by Klinsmann recently.

I think he'd do well.

would have to pay mega wages for that one if we ever had a sniff

Don't you think that the Financial Fair Play Regulations will have a moderating affect on the wages of players like this?

I'm hoping that the environment has shifted, making it harder for the big clubs to pad out their squads with players that the smaller clubs would love to have.