Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Zaha depending on whether he improves his temperament. He is a bit of a 'Taarabt' at the moment.

I'm sure Baldock will probably be good for Palace as well though.

He maybe would, but his end product is shocking. Plus they have Vaz Te who is a LOT better than Zaha

Offering Murphy a one year deal wouldn't be a bad idea. Bags of experience and a decent guy as well. Still has a lot to offer IMO.

Would be a huge asset - probably not a full 90 mins every week but, as you say, lots of experience at the top level and not a prima donna.

Alan Nixon of the Daily Mirror thinks Saints will spend between "£20-£25m this window".

He adds... "Ambition is very real. U will spend. More than most in your 'sector.' "

He defines Southampton's "sector" as... "From last season's middle down. Swansea and south in the table."

If true, some of you need to reassess your ambitions for the transfer window!

Edited by Matthew Le God

Well I thought it was worth pointing out as Saints did have their own chairman who liked to join in with training sessions, like I said not much point starting a new thread on it, but thought it might have been worth a chuckle!

Fair point.I cant stop laughing.

SOUTHAMPTON are ready to offer Craig Gordon a Premier League lifeline.

Scotland keeper Gordon, 29, has been released by Sunderland only five years after they paid Hearts £9million for him.

Didnt we sign some other keeper who had a 'mare at Sunderland?

Butland over Gordon for me, younger, lower wages, more potential, no injury record.

I'm expecting us to sign TWO keepers.

We need an experienced back-up/ rival / call him what you will to be on the bench whilst KD has the No.1 spot.

Despite all that said about Butland, his playing experience at senior level was on loan to Cheltenham in League 2.

IF ....we signed him? I'd hate to have to depend on his form in the Prem. in the event of KD getting seriously injured.

I think we should look to sign Butland & Gordon - not one or the other.

As David In Sweden said, Gordon can be the experienced backup / rival ready to step in if called upon as Kelvin will probably retire in 2/3 years and by that point, Gordon will be 31/32 so he'll be first choice for a few more years with Butland learning and being the backup / rival ready to step in for him if necessary. By that point, we'll have another younger keeper in and the cycle continues etc.

Butland over Gordon for me, younger, lower wages, more potential, no injury record.

Gordon represents more value for money though I think. Free transfer so no huge fees to worry about, only signing on bonus, agents fees etc which probably wouldn't total more than about 100k. The prices being quoted for Butland are in the millions though. If we're looking at this purely from a financial perspective then Gordon is the obvious choice to sign ahead of Butland. Obviously JB has bags of potential but given that we're being quoted £7m for Jay Rod (which it seems that we're paying!) what would we be quoted for an 18 year old goalkeeper who's going to the Euros?

My Brum mate is saying now that Carson Yeung's assets and businesses have been unfrozen (meaning Brum have the disposal of his cash) they won't be rushed into selling. He has a serious chance of being a #1 keeper for a potentially promotion-winning team next season. I would take that over a transfer to be the 3rd choice keeper at a club which is of a similar size.

Like somebody said above me, we'll probably sign 2 keepers anyway. I would feel uneasy even having Forecast as 3rd choice... If we sign Gordon to battle KD for that starting berth and then a young keeper to cover them and be the future #1 then I will be very happy.

Why are people so keen on Gordon? If Sunderland's physios had been confident he would be able to get fit and stay fit, given his obvious talent, they would have offered him a new deal.

I think its more to do with Mignolet's form and the fact they asked Gordon to take a pay cut.

Butland has a serious chance of being a #1 keeper for a potentially promotion-winning team next season. I would take that over a transfer to be the 3rd choice keeper at a club which is of a similar size.

What makes Birmingham a "similar size" and better bet to stay with than moving to Saints? They have smaller attendances, poorer academy, poorer stadium, poorer training ground and most significantly ownership/money problems galore.

What makes you think Butland would be 3rd choice at Saints? At the moment we only have Davis as a senior keeper (if you ignore Forecast). I'd imagine Butland would be 2nd choice to start and relatively quickly become 1st choice with Davis becoming his cover/mentor. Especially if Saints shell out £3m+ on him and he wants to be in England contention next season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Butland in and send him out on loan perhaps? He's 19 and a long way off the normal peak age for a goalkeeper. Can't personally see Schmeichel leaving Leicester and I think Gordon wouldn't want to drop out of the Prem. If wages allow then get both in, Gordon for now/backup and Butland as a very bright future prospect.

Butland in and send him out on loan perhaps? He's 19 and a long way off the normal peak age for a goalkeeper. Can't personally see Schmeichel leaving Leicester and I think Gordon wouldn't want to drop out of the Prem. If wages allow then get both in, Gordon for now/backup and Butland as a very bright future prospect.

Butland would only come to us with the expectation to be first choice by end of season, probably by about November.

If he's just going to get loaned out he might as well join Man United.

Butland would only come to us with the expectation to be first choice by end of season, probably by about November.

If he's just going to get loaned out he might as well join Man United.

He's not first choice for Birmingham at the moment and spent a few months on loan at Cheltenham recently where he did ok covering for Scott Brown. He's been picked as 3rd choice keeper as the FA see him as a potentially good player, why not? You have to pick 3 keepers. They're looking to the future. Most Cheltenham fans were delighted to see Scott Brown back for the last few games and the play off final as he's currently a better keeper.

He's not first choice for Birmingham at the moment and spent a few months on loan at Cheltenham recently where he did ok covering for Scott Brown. He's been picked as 3rd choice keeper as the FA see him as a potentially good player, why not? You have to pick 3 keepers. They're looking to the future. Most Cheltenham fans were delighted to see Scott Brown back for the last few games and the play off final as he's currently a better keeper.

Not entirely sure what you are getting at. My point is there is clearly lots of interest in him. If all his potential suitors (including us) all plan to loan him to a lower league club then from Butland's point of view he might as well join Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea. He's getting loaned whatever so do it as a Man U player.

The only way we can get him to SMS would be to tell him we plan to use him in our first team this season. That's the only thing that would swing it for us.

And anyway, what might happen is he joins a top six club and they loan him to us.

Why are people so keen on Gordon? If Sunderland's physios had been confident he would be able to get fit and stay fit, given his obvious talent, they would have offered him a new deal.

The phrase "Scottish" and "Goalkeeper" has never gone together well IMHO

With the possible exception of Campbell Forsyth. (I never rated Eric Martin as a good keeper)

People saying about Gordon wouldn't be fit could Sunderland released him.. really? Not the fact that Gordon was probably on high wages, wanted first team football rather than being stuck behind Mignolet and Westwood in Martin O'Neil's plans?[/QUOTE]

Can you hazard a guess as to WHY he is THIRD choice ? .... Not because he's Kr*p by any chance ?

Regarding the CM choice what happened to the Steven Davis from Rangers rumour?

Was going to comment yesterday, release clause is £1.65m according to the papers, which would be great value

The phrase "Scottish" and "Goalkeeper" has never gone together well IMHO

With the possible exception of Campbell Forsyth. (I never rated Eric Martin as a good keeper)

Great, nothing like a sweeping generalisation to help things along. Joe Hart aside, England aren't exactly flush with great goalie's at the moment are we? And I take it that you've not seen Andy Goram in his prime & Allan McGregor is also a decent goalkeeper (not convinced about him off the field hence wouldn't want Saints to go for him).

People saying about Gordon wouldn't be fit could Sunderland released him.. really? Not the fact that Gordon was probably on high wages, wanted first team football rather than being stuck behind Mignolet and Westwood in Martin O'Neil's plans?[/QUOTE]

Can you hazard a guess as to WHY he is THIRD choice ? .... Not because he's Kr*p by any chance ?

He is a very good goalkeeper, that's why Sunderland stumped up £9m for him. He is injury prone, largely due to his physique IMO. I've said previously that I think he needs to bulk up a bit to avoid some of the injuries he's suffered. For the right wages, he is worth a shout and would get a very good goalkeeper for their money if they can keep him fit.

Sky Sports sources understands West Ham have made a £4million bid for Norwich striker Grant Holt. More on site soon...

Well I think that confirms the sort of football they'll be continuing this year.

No surprise. They'd have probably gone for Lambert if we didn't go up IMO.

I still reckon Holt will either stay at Norwich or follow Paul Lambert to Villa.

No surprise. They'd have probably gone for Lambert if we didn't go up IMO.

I still reckon Holt will either stay at Norwich or follow Paul Lambert to Villa.

I can't see him staying at Norwich, he's burnt his bridges there. The club has kind of fallen apart over the summer, good for us though. But seeing as we kind of ''follow'' Norwich in league terms, let's hope this isn't us in a year!

I can't see him staying at Norwich, he's burnt his bridges there. The club has kind of fallen apart over the summer, good for us though. But seeing as we kind of ''follow'' Norwich in league terms, let's hope this isn't us in a year!

bet we don't hear...."look at norwich" much now lol