Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

For £1m that's a bit of a steal to be honest.

Not sure we'd go for Rodriguez and Yakubu though.

I think at £1 million we could but would he want first team football and would he get it?

In addition are four strikers going to be enough?

I guess Guly can play up top if needed but wouldn't be surprised if we went for a loan signing possibly in addition.

If Chaplow goes we would really need to bring in two new centre mids. If Chaplow stays then one new face, who would go straight in the starting 11 is all we need there.

As much as Chaplow dissappointed a little when back from injury, before it he was arguably our best player.

If Chaplow goes we would really need to bring in two new centre mids. If Chaplow stays then one new face, who would go straight in the starting 11 is all we need there.

As much as Chaplow dissappointed a little when back from injury, before it he was arguably our best player.

Someone on the Jay Rod thread has said the rumour he's heard is that it's actually Deano Burnley want not Chappers (which would be the obvious link to make). Could explain Chaplow's Twitter comment too.

If Jrod signs I'm not sure where this leaves Guly. He wont get a look in up front unless injury befouls 2 or 3 strikers at the same time. He will get murdered by a few Prem teams in midfield, I certainly don't want to see him playing RM again.

If Jrod signs I'm not sure where this leaves Guly. He wont get a look in up front unless injury befouls 2 or 3 strikers at the same time. He will get murdered by a few Prem teams in midfield, I certainly don't want to see him playing RM again.

He'd still make a decent squad player. Despite what a lot of our clueless fans think he is a good player. Hes not first choice material at PL level but definitely one who can come in and do a job in a number of positions.

Someone on the Jay Rod thread has said the rumour he's heard is that it's actually Deano Burnley want not Chappers (which would be the obvious link to make). Could explain Chaplow's Twitter comment too.

I think we could be making a mistake if we let Hammond leave. His distribution admittedly isn't the best, but he's been a really key part of our success over the last three years. I think he deserves a chance to play at the highest level, and he could be good enough.

He'd still make a decent squad player. Despite what a lot of our clueless fans think he is a good player. Hes not first choice material at PL level but definitely one who can come in and do a job in a number of positions.

Totally agree, he's unfairly jumped on too many times. He's got a good touch and could quite easily do well in the PL. I just hope he plays in the hole when he gets his chance not on the wing where his positioning can sometimes be a little suspect whilst defending (although he did get much better towards the end of the season).

I think we could be making a mistake if we let Hammond leave. His distribution admittedly isn't the best, but he's been a really key part of our success over the last three years. I think he deserves a chance to play at the highest level, and he could be good enough.

Not if we sign Seedorf to play instead of Hammond lol

Apologies if this has been posted but there is an article in Teh Grauniad about Premiership targets: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/may/28/premier-league-transfer-targets.

Their comments on us show they must be reading here; they've certainly identified some of our needs accurately..:

Southampton

_Managerial situation_ Six years ago, Nigel Adkins was S****horpe United's physiotherapist. Now, he is a Premier League manager, after masterminding successive promotions. He has credit in the bank at the club.

_Money to spend_ The executive chairman, Nicola Cortese, said he wanted the club to become self-financing in the Premier League and reliant on homegrown players.

_What they need _ Pace out wide, support up front and extra quality in centre-midfield; top‑level experience and a few more numbers. They may face a fight to keep Adam Lallana, the skilful midfielder. They must win it.

_What they will realistically get_ In the words of Adkins 'a certain calibre of player … players that are better than we've got'.

Targets Matt Jarvis (Wolves), Jay Rodriguez (Burnley), Scott Dann (Blackburn), Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Thomas Ince (Blackpool).

On SSN breaking news about jay rod

SSN Breaking News: 'Southampton in talks with Burnley over a deal to sign Jay Rodriguez which could be worth up to £7m'

So the BBC and Mirror and others are saying that we've already had a bid of up to 7mn accepted, yet Sky are saying we're only in talksbwith Burnley about a 7mn bid? Seems Sky may be slightly off-key...

Just about the bid being accepted?

'in talks'

This will be an excellent signing if it goes through and with chaplow tweeting he wants to stay at the club for a long time earlier also very positive. I'm glad adkins has gone for JR over hooper tbh. He would of cost more and in my opinion JR has much more potential. In 5 years time I think £7 million for him will seem a bargain.

A fight to keep hold of Lallana? Yes if we'd not been promoted. Can't see him being tempted before he's played for us in the top flight. If he does well next season, it could be tough to keep hold of him, but not right now. Big clubs are obsessed with pace rather than players like Adam.

Still don't understand the need for premier league experience either. Don't get me wrong, great players who've proven to be great premier league players are very welcome, but that's never what it means. It seems to mean overpaid players who've played in the top flights lots but proven to not be that good, like Doyle.

Think they have said we face a fight to Keep hold of Adam cause they don't really know anything about the clubs finances much like us. I reckon they think we have to sell our top players to survive, purely because Adkins mentioned that our youth will play a part next season. Unlike 2009, the year of our relegation from the championship when it was because we had to use the youth and they weren't ready to step up as first team players. This time its because we want to play them, not because we are broke. This time it looks like the youth coming through could well be ready but they will have the luxury of not being rushed like before.

I'd be pleased with Dann, he's got PL class, it's just unfortunate that last year he was in a depleted team which lost both quality centre backs. What about Ryan Nelson, free transfer?

I saw the link to Lodeiro, although he's out of contract so we could maybe tempt him for next to nothing

Jay Rod would be quality. However, I really do not want to lose Chaplow. £7m plus a player is too much anyway. I think it will just be a straight transfer of £7m

This. Chaplow won't want to leave now we're back in the Premier League, and could rightly say no, which would put the whole deal in jeopardy. I can't see Cortese and Adkins risking a target like this. I would think it'll end up being a straight £7million transfer, with a sneaky wink if they wish to buy Chaplow afterwards.

I hope we keep Chaplow though. Keep him fit and he would be a useful battler in the Premier League.

This. Chaplow won't want to leave now we're back in the Premier League, and could rightly say no, which would put the whole deal in jeopardy. I can't see Cortese and Adkins risking a target like this. I would think it'll end up being a straight £7million transfer, with a sneaky wink if they wish to buy Chaplow afterwards.

I hope we keep Chaplow though. Keep him fit and he would be a useful battler in the Premier League.

Chaplow said today on twitter:

Rchap04: Morning,a lot of RUMOURS flying around on my future,I am still a saints player and it's somewhere I want to stay 4 a long time! #saintsfc

So he isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Might be a risk but I'd like to see Martin still involved, so if we signed Dann perhaps those 4 CBs would be enough? Decent competition anyway. We'll clearly sign a CB even if not Dann.

After Rodriguez is he signs, we still need a CM and entire right side! Those are the key areas. A strong CM is the biggest signing IMO, as Cork and Morgan might have the quality, but need a better partner than each other, if that makes sense.

If we keep up the young and English theme, Rodriguez, Dann, Clyne, Jarvis, Trippier? Tough to complain with that, but I struggle to think of many decent CM targets.

I agree with your point that a CM is needed. If he could be creative & weigh in with a few goals then all the better! We need a couple of quick tricky wingers who are direct, have a trick and can score a few goals (sort of what we hoped De Ridder would be last year). Matt Phillips and Wilfred Zaha are 2 examples of what I'm talking about.

I don't really know about RB thou. I personally rate Frazer Richardson, but Im not sure how Danny Butterfield will fare in the Premier League. I am a fan of Nathaniel Clyne, but I think he will move to 1 of the bigger clubs like Man Utd.

Jay Rodriguez would be a quality signing IMO! I would just like to see us add to the creative options behind our strikers in order for them to realise their true potential. We can't just rely on Adam Lallana to be the main source of ammunition for our strikers. Morgan Schneiderlin definitely has the ability to create chances for our strikers, but he does tend to be played a bit deep in midfield to create enough chances for Rickie & co.

Dann would be an ideal choice - like Jos at Celtic, he has not been given a good chance in a progressive team and his age is right to develop with the squad. Is he left or right footed - anyone?

Hopefully 2-footed as all Professional footballers should be.. but are not.

More important is 'does he have pace' as NC/NA must have realised that the next Central defender bought to our ranks MUST be quick.

Richardson is fine, but I think that's about it. While he's done nothing wrong, I'd say he's quite a way behind Dodd's quality. I say Dodd because he's honestly the only top flight right back I can remember actually being any good. Perhaps Kenna but he wasn't here long. After that we really struggled at RB. No-one would mind Richardson as competition in the squad, but I think we can improve on that position. I wouldn't want Harding being relied on much if/when Fox gets suspended too.

Despite all the names mentioned, some crazy some not, I'm not sure any have been CMs! Who would compliment Schneiderlin best? Someone fairly powerful with a decent shot? Basically a cheap version of Yaya Toure! Can someone go find one please?

Moussa Sissoko or the like

Richardson is fine, but I think that's about it. While he's done nothing wrong, I'd say he's quite a way behind Dodd's quality. I say Dodd because he's honestly the only top flight right back I can remember actually being any good. Perhaps Kenna

Paul Telford was pretty decent during his time here under Strachan

Rodriguez, 22, will get a four-year contract with the Premier League new boys.

Boss Nigel Adkins, who has spent six months battling to sign the striker, said: “We are looking to sign young, talented and promising British players.”

Adkins may also offer a similar sum for Celtic striker Gary Hooper.

Rodriguez, 22, will get a four-year contract with the Premier League new boys.

Boss Nigel Adkins, who has spent six months battling to sign the striker, said: “We are looking to sign young, talented and promising British players.”

Adkins may also offer a similar sum for Celtic striker Gary Hooper.

Where's that from Pilch?

Yeah, he was kind've like Claus without Killer next to him.

To be fair to Claus, he played well with Richards and Williams next to him as well, it was the other muppets that he couldn't play with!! The name Davenport still brings me out in a cold sweat!! I like Dann think he is a good solid CB and so is Johnson we could do worse than bidding for either of those!!

Think he said he wanted to stay on at Hull' date=' where he ended last season. Think we're a better option if we were to be interested though.[/quote']

Ah that's cool, didn't think Hull had that much money free for this season. He's the right sort of age (and qualifies as home grown from being at Arsenal from 18-21), wouldn't be a bad understudy to Davis.

Another suggestion would be Marco Verratti who set Seria B alight last season, really doubt we'd get him but would be worth a go for... (was talking to a friend who's big into Italian football who say's he's the new Pirlo)

Anyone else really not bothered about seeing Yakubu here ?

He'd be the most proven scorer we'd have at this level and I'd say he guarantee goals, but he'd probably smash the wage structure.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at West Ham.