Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

How reliable even is this? At the end of the day it's coming out from a newspaper.

I'd say rumours from Alan Nixon have legs. He spends quite a lot of time on us and I believe has contacts close to the club. He's got things right in the past, i.e the revealing the Sharp transfer a few days before it happened.

If it's not Del Piero and Seedorf I'll cry.

Hopefully we've set up a new surgery which will enable us to stick Seedorf's brain in Forecast.

Not sure what we'd do with Forecast's brain, stick it in a llama or something for a giggle.

And there we go boys....

Jay Rod fee agreed and Chaplow going the other way

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-agree-a-fee-for-jay-rodriguez-851590

Sounds good, but makes this PR article on the OS about Chaplow looking forward to the Prem with us (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2788214,00.html) look a little strange.

Chaplow seems to love it here so I'm not convinced he'll go and frankly I think he's a good player to keep still we'll see really hope Jay Rod joins us though!

According to his latest tweets he's back at home in Lancashire at the moment so could well be something to this.

There was a rumour I heard a while back stating that one of our midfielders would be going the other way, couldn't quite work out who at the time - but it was always likley to be Chaplow due to his burnley connections.

Jay Rod would be a stunning signing. I really, really, really rate him so much as a player. Top top class, will be an England international at some point. Hopefully with us.

Bridge/Le Saux and Jones/John are 2 that stick in my mind. I think the later was technically 2 seperate deals, but it was basically a swap.

Wasn't the deal that got us Chaplow (first time) onloan from WBA the same deal that took Quashie the other way?

Sounds good, but makes this PR article on the OS about Chaplow looking forward to the Prem with us (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2788214,00.html) look a little strange.

To be fair the interview was old as it was on another website a few days ago. I think a lot of the player interviews were done before they broke off for summer. That said strange to post it today knowing potential deal in place. Maybe used as a smokescreen? Chappers up north currently adds fuel to the fire.

You don't bust a wage structure, you change it. I imagine with promotion clauses our top earners all went beyond the existing wage 'limit' anyway. The key is spending well and not gambling the club's financial future. That doesn't rule out 1 or 2 high earners.

I'd rather have a team of decent young lads putting in maximum effort and playing football for a half sensible salary, but sadly that isn't football anymore.

I imagine that most of our existing squad had promotion clauses in their contracts, and they deserve the wage increases because they earned them by getting the club promoted to the Premier League. I doubt they would be very happy if the club signed a so called big name who was immediately put on double their money though, I know I wouldn't be very happy with that! I'm not saying we shouldn't look to improve the squad with better players, but not at the cost of damaging what we have achieved already.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) We won't get promoted signing players like Gleeson - How do you get promoted from the Premier League?; &

2) I'd rather have a team of decent young lads putting in maximum effort and playing football for a half sensible salary - Do Seedorf & Del Piero fit in to this category?

How are players like Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Ben Reeves, Jack Stephens & Calum Chambers ever going to break in to the 1st team if we sign players like Seedorf & Del Piero? Do you really think that we would have seen the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott & Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain come through the ranks if we took that approach to our transfer dealings?

The club is 100% being run in the correct way, and nothing should be done to jeopardise that! People need to start living in the real world and stop hoping that Saints will fulfill their fantasies by signing their favourite players!

Keep up the excellent work Saints!

Wasn't the deal that got us Chaplow (first time) onloan from WBA the same deal that took Quashie the other way?

You could be right.

There's also Bale/Forecast, sort of but not really.

Davies/Beattie and then a year later Egil/Davies

There was a rumour I heard a while back stating that one of our midfielders would be going the other way, couldn't quite work out who at the time - but it was always likley to be Chaplow due to his burnley connections.

Jay Rod would be a stunning signing. I really, really, really rate him so much as a player. Top top class, will be an England international at some point. Hopefully with us.

Yep agree with this. Really hope this is true.

He is a quality player and future England International

From the reporter at the Lancashire Telegraph who broke the Jay Rod transfer last week:

@LT_Suzanne: My Jay Rodriguez/Saints story from last week bit.ly/MrVWRm Can confirm bid is £7m & has been agreed. Update to appear online shortly

MLT seems to want us to sign Owen. Rodriquez would be infinitely better and obviously have a resale value going up all the time. I used to like Owen but his time at MU has just shown him to be content with getting paid. He's not even been injured half the time there, just sat about not playing, which is never going to help fitness. Really think he could have been playing at least 25 games a season for some top flight side the last 2 years and he's completely wasted it. If we go for any established experienced players, he is exactly the type you don't want.

Rodriguez is exactly the type of transfer we'd make. Young, Hungry and British. I'd be stunned if we signed any old has-beens this year.

Surely at least one of Lambert, Sharp, Rodriguez and Lee would take the top flight by storm?? All have the potential.

Good variety too. Target man (Lambert), Poacher (Sharp), Pacy striker (Lee) and Rodriguez seems to have a bit of everything.

I was thinking that too! If this is true it has been very bad timing to release Chaplows latest interview on the OS. I think chaplow could be a great player for us next season, if he can get back his form to before he was out injuried last December. I would like to see him have a chance in the premier league with us, to see what he can do. Can't we give them puncheon instead :) ?

View from the top said about a month ago that we were looking to do a deal which meant taking one of our midfielders the other way

This would be a brilliant signing too

And adrians. You are right. One of the four strikers would surely come very good next season

Jay Rod would be quality. However, I really do not want to lose Chaplow. £7m plus a player is too much anyway. I think it will just be a straight transfer of £7m

I don't think it's a pure swap deal. Once we complete the Rodriguez deal Burnley can then talk to Chaplow, but they have to also pay a fee for him.

I don't think it's a pure swap deal. Once we complete the Rodriguez deal Burnley can then talk to Chaplow, but they have to also pay a fee for him.

Ah I see. Well that makes sense I guess