Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Just saw Iain Dowie at Southamptin Airport. Backup for Lambert?

He played for the ex saints XI at the Solent Uni game at Test Park, and was absolutely useless. Funny seeing him and Le Tiss up front together again.

All this about Adkins getting sacked, but what if he left? There is a growing number of PL jobs going, most are at big, if not massive clubs and there is bound to be interest.

Fortunately he is pretty committed to us. He said "I have the best job in the world." But yes, I do share your concern. His CV is impressive and could attract suitors.

In other news ... Torres speaking out at his role at Chelsea? Worth a cheeky bid and a PAYP deal? ;)

All this about Adkins getting sacked, but what if he left? There is a growing number of PL jobs going, most are at big, if not massive clubs and there is bound to be interest.

PLEASE STOP IT! All this about Adkins?!?!? What if pigs end up not flying? What if there really are more stars than grains of sand on every beach in the World? What if the World was to stop spinning? FFS - this is worse than reading the Sun!

I think you're just farting in the wind here, it's a none starter.

Liverpool and Chelsea will both go for big name managers with European experience, coming 2nd in the Championship just isn't going to excite them. West Brom and Villa are hardly a step forwards either, now that we're in the Premier League.

In other news ... Torres speaking out at his role at Chelsea? Worth a cheeky bid and a PAYP deal? ;)

Another one. Hilarious.I love the the summer break. Maybe we should get Alex Ferguson to take over from Adkins.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Would it upset Ian Holloway if Southampton were to make a bid for Tom Ince?

[Wurzel] Well personally I think they're 'aving a laafff. He's our player and if he's going anywhere it'll be someone a lot bigger than Sa'ampton and for foive toimes thaaat amount. [/Wurzel]

Re Tom Ince - upsetting Ian Holloway wouild be a shame, or a bonus, depending on how you look at it, but after Ince stood out in the Play-off final and his club has missed out on promotion, it seems reasonable to think that Prem sides will be looking at him. His contract with Blackpool ends in 2013 and even though they have a one year option that makes their bargaining position weaker than if he was on 3 or 4 years. He seems to be a talented winger of the kind Saints need and at 20 he's the right age to step up. It does seem a case of HCDAJFU, which is what this speculative thread is all about.

Re Tom Ince - upsetting Ian Holloway wouild be a shame, or a bonus, depending on how you look at it, but after Ince stood out in the Play-off final and his club has missed out on promotion, it seems reasonable to think that Prem sides will be looking at him. His contract with Blackpool ends in 2013 and even though they have a one year option that makes their bargaining position weaker than if he was on 3 or 4 years. He seems to be a talented winger of the kind Saints need and at 20 he's the right age to step up. It does seem a case of HCDAJFU, which is what this speculative thread is all about.

I read earlier that Reading were interested at £2.5m... paper talk I'm sure, but a very realistic suggestion if that is what he is valued at (Given how Holloway was with Charlie Adam, I'd be surprised if it was this low). Good signing mind.

Good lucking getting Blackpool to be reasonable NC! They'll be all, "hello remember us? we wanted to buy Puncheon and you was all hardball £1.5m not a penny less? Well guess what... Ince will be £10m not a penny less. Phillips you say? Yeah we can do a deal on Phillips I dare say. £20m. Not a penny less."

PS. I don't usually see thedelldays posts but as Glasgow_Saint has quoted one, I'd just say that RMF seems an area where our weakness at the moment might call for two signings. If so, one could be an established player already at prem level here or abroad, and one could be a prospect such as Ince or his like. It doesn't seem to be a postion where we have another Walcott or Chamberlain coming through from the Academy. SDR hasn't made his mark, staying as a sub option in the Championship, and otherwise we seem to have covered the position with central midfield players. Its not been often recently that you've seen the ball into the empty space towards the right corner knowing we had a winger who would be first there.

PS. I don't usually see thedelldays posts but as Glasgow_Saint has quoted one, I'd just say that RMF seems an area where our weakness at the moment might call for two signings. If so, one could be an established player already at prem level here or abroad, and one could be a prospect such as Ince or his like. It doesn't seem to be a postion where we have another Walcott or Chamberlain coming through from the Academy. SDR hasn't made his mark, staying as a sub option in the Championship, and otherwise we seem to have covered the position with central midfield players. Its not been often recently that you've seen the ball into the empty space towards the right corner knowing we had a winger who would be first there.

yay...im on someones ignore list

If Cortese gets rid of Adkins now then he can **** off.

No doubt some people will still see him as a "legend" though...

You stupid bellend. Do you understand what Cortese means for the future of this football club??

Only in Southampton can we have dikfeed like this!

Nice one, Professor. You haven't made my ignore list, but you have made my "precious flower declaring someone is on his ignore list" list.

Young english players like Ince,Hooper,Rodrigues and Jarvis are probably what we are looking at but i would imagine we will be priced out of moves for these as they are not going to be good value when compared to foreign players.

The problem with that is not many foreigners hit the ground running so can we afford to pay the over inflated prices or buy cheaper foreigners who may not make the required impact immediately.

I believe we will also try and buy one or two older more experienced players to compliment our relatively young inexperienced squad so a mix of all three would be ideal but at what cost.

We will probably break our transfer record for a couple but i doubt if we will spend big on several players leaving a free bee or two making up the numbers.

We may have money but Cortese is not going to give Adkins 30mill to spend and i just hope we get our buisness done early this year.

because we need to aim higher or you just don't rate the guy?

he is very inexperienced and not had it all good this season at blackpool

don't get me wrong, he is going to be a good player but to throw him in as the right side will heap a lot of pressure on him.

yeah yeah, OxO has done ok...but he is such a class above.

Ince (for me) would be ideal to complement the squad right now..NOT be THE RM we require if you get me

I know this is a HCDAJFU thread, but my question is this - where do you think we need reinforcements? I've seen so many names bandied around, and I don't quite know myself. I also keep seeing "we need 5/6 signings".... well where?

I think we *need*:

GK

CB

LM

RM

ST

As a minimum as I think we're genuinely short in these positions; clearly Tommy as #2 GK is not a solution. Now Jaidi is confirmed as gone, then Seaborne and Martin are our only two back ups to Jos and Jose. Guly/Puncheon (if he's to feature) I presume will start as RM, but is he the answer? LM is Lallana's spot to lose, but who plays there now if he's crocked and Holmes has gone? We know we're in the market for a ST, with Hooper and Rodriguez continually linked.

I think we'll stick with the full backs we have (I know Clyne's name keeps coming up), as Fox, Harding and Shaw will cover LB, and presumably Richardson, Butterfield and Stephens RB (whether they are all of the desired quality I agree is up for discussion).

CM could probably do with a revamp - is Deano up for the prem? Who knows. Certainly Cork and Schneiderlin will make a fist of it but as others have pointed out, whilst they're both neat, tidy and busy players, can they unlock a tight door/ break from midfield? Chaplow can break we know, but he can be a little inconsistent. However, in terms of numbers, with those four you could argue again that these aren't a "priority" but I do feel if we were to go for the sixth signing (above and beyond the five positions above), this could be a key position.

Apologies for the ramble - almost trying to clear in my own mind where the "evolution" needs to be... all well and true chucking lots of names of released players in, but trying to focus where I think we should invest in the playing squad.

Definitely need new full backs, well get torn a new one out wide with good premiership wide men. I'd like a commanding CB next to Jos as let's face it well be doing a lot more defending next season

Id also go for a defensive CM and a RM. If we could get Jarvis that would be awesome but I'd look at Matt Phillips too.

Just had a text from a very good source that Curtis Davies is coming down for a fitness test later this week. Don't shoot the messenger & I wanted to put this on its own thread but couldn't be bothered with all the abuse.

Just had a text from a very good source that Curtis Davies is coming down for a fitness test later this week. Don't shoot the messenger & I wanted to put this on its own thread but couldn't be bothered with all the abuse.

Would be a good defensive addition IMO. Plenty of Prem potential.

Totally agree. Someone who's been in this league before, albeit breifly, knows what to expect and at a great age to grow with the team.

The Sun linked Saints with a £3m bid for Curtis Davies on 7th May 2012 if Birmingham didn't win the playoffs.

Curtis Davies would be a good signing, had a few injury problems at Villa that seemed to ruin his time there. But he played a full Championship season + those Europa league matches and was one of the best CBs in the league so those problems appear to be behind him.

Would be a great signing IMHO