Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I think we need a decent solid attacking midfielder and not one has been mentioned. I would be very happy with Jarvis or Phillips, Davies, Pienaar, etc, most of the names mentioned but no one yet has mentioned a decent attacking central midfielder.

Harry Kane looks decent whenever I've seen him and caused us a fair few problems at the New Den when we went there in the League. Didn't go to the other 3 Millwall games so haven't seen that much of him. At 19 would be a great prospect, but wont be a Premier League starter just yet.

Always rated Buzsaky as well.

Jarvis, Buzsaky, JRod, Kane, Davies, Trippier and a goalie would be a superb tranny window.

According to reports Southampton have had a bid accepted for Burnley's Jay Rodriguez, although neither club have confirmed this. #SFC #BFC

Ok, just another random twitter feed, but interesting I guess.

Posted this on the predicted date of first signing thread, and although nothing of substance, similar noises have hit my ears too... Can't help but beleive that there is something in this. If nothing else Burnley have offered Derby 1.5 million for Shackell and thats the sort of money they don't really have to shell out on one player, unless they were getting it from somewhere else of course!

Haven't read through all 25 pages; would love a summary! For what it's worth I think the following CADAJFU:

Joe Lewis (still a bit error prone but great potential and he doesn't currently get much help from his defence)

James Tomkins or Curtis Davies - need another CB, either good on theball (JT) or pacey (CD)

Matt Phillips or Matt Jarvis - pace and trickery on the wing is definitely required

Stewart Holden (if we can make sure he doesn't break any more legs) - good goal scoring CM with bags of energy

2 shouts that may be a bit unrealistic: Huddlestone (supreme passer and doesn't get much of a look in at spuds) and Agbonlahor (I think would thrive the way we play and he needs to move to stop stagnating at villa)

Also Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Clyne would be top signings.

I imagine it will be none of these but I'm sure Adkins and Cortese will unearth a couple of gems from the leftfield

Posted this on the predicted date of first signing thread, and although nothing of substance, similar noises have hit my ears too... Can't help but beleive that there is something in this. If nothing else Burnley have offered Derby 1.5 million for Shackell and thats the sort of money they don't really have to shell out on one player, unless they were getting it from somewhere else of course!

Do they get a final parachute payment from being in the Prem a couple of years ago? Would hope they're just passing on the cash we're offering for J Rod though! :D

According to reports Southampton have had a bid accepted for Burnley's Jay Rodriguez, although neither club have confirmed this. #SFC #BFC

Ok, just another random twitter feed, but interesting I guess.

But then if you beleive another "football agent" on twitter he said we weren't looking at Jay Rodriguez as they have set their sights higher.

I'd take Joe Cole in a heartbeat, if we could afford his wages. Out in the worldeness, but has all the ability to be that creative midfielder we are crying out for....imho of course.

Like you said wages a big problem and wouldn't bring enough to the team for that amount.

But then if you beleive another "football agent" on twitter he said we weren't looking at Jay Rodriguez as they have set their sights higher.

Same "agent" had the Pienaar thing 3 days or so before it started popping up elsewhere, also says said move depends on whether Modric stays.

Same guy also claims we are in for McEachran on a season long loan. But these agent twitters should always be taken with a massive pinch of salt,

Same "agent" had the Pienaar thing 3 days or so before it started popping up elsewhere, also says said move depends on whether Modric stays.

Same guy also claims we are in for McEachran on a season long loan. But these agent twitters should always be taken with a massive pinch of salt,

Pretty sure this is just someone making up stuff, and has no links whatsoever.

Brighton have turned down a bid from Barnsley for Gordon Greer their captain. North Stand Chat in uproar - why would their Captain want to go to lowly Barnsley....think they have forgotten only last season they played in a 5k Athletics Stadium and have got a bit overexcited this year...

No smoke without fire, maybe he wants to leave haha.

Brighton have turned down a bid from Barnsley for Gordon Greer their captain. North Stand Chat in uproar - why would their Captain want to go to lowly Barnsley....think they have forgotten only last season they played in a 5k Athletics Stadium and have got a bit overexcited this year...

No smoke without fire, maybe he wants to leave haha.

Their fans are not worth talking to or about. They think they're massive time now. Since this time a year ago they've been banging on about how tinpot Crystal Palace are and how they're bigger then them in every way. They even sound like some on here when it comes to stadium expansion etc.

now on wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge....

SouthamptonOn 17 May 2012,Yakubu signed a five-year deal with Southampton F.C. for an undisclosed fee and was assigned the number 17 shirt by manager Nigel Adkins.

5 Years!!! he's only 54, should have tied him down to a longer contract. No ambition Saints.

now on wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge....

SouthamptonOn 17 May 2012,Yakubu signed a five-year deal with Southampton F.C. for an undisclosed fee and was assigned the number 17 shirt by manager Nigel Adkins.

You dont miss much do you ? Pls see post 1255.

Gunter from Forrest would be a decent move. Was their best player when we played them at their place (not saying much) and I was told that when he hasn't been in the side (in between loan spells etc.) over the last few years they have always struggled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18103262

Good call. What I saw of him last season he likes to get forward. He even likes to get to the Bye line which would make a nice change!!

Not that keen on Yakubu to be honest - seems to be the exact type of journeyman player we could do without. Having said that, at his age he's probably pleased to sit on the bench, waiting for our main strikers to get injured and pick up a fee to take him out to retirement.

He is not an agent, just someone liking the attention. I would recommend you take everything with a truck of salt.

Not that keen on Yakubu to be honest - seems to be the exact type of journeyman player we could do without. Having said that, at his age he's probably pleased to sit on the bench, waiting for our main strikers to get injured and pick up a fee to take him out to retirement.

I am not sure the Premier Leagues 4th top goal scorer - in a relegated team - would be happy to sit on anyones bench. He has been quite simply unplayable this season.

Let's not get carried away. He can grab a few goals, but unplayable? IMO he's not a strike partner for anyone. He's get some goals when the majority of chances are his, he plays alone up front and doesn't work very hard. I'd trust Moyes more who wanted rid of him.

If we're going for older selfish individuals up front who want big wages, Defoe is a million times better than Yakubu. Wouldn't want either, just saying.

come on...he is a very good scorer and has scored plenty of goals no matter what team he plays in...even in a absolutely terrible team in rovers..he still scored goals

Gunter from Forrest would be a decent move. Was their best player when we played them at their place (not saying much) and I was told that when he hasn't been in the side (in between loan spells etc.) over the last few years they have always struggled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18103262

Corky & I, as well as our kids, all had him down as a player we'd sign when playing the "who would you sign from the NPC?" game on the way back from the Cov' game.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Saint Fan CaM viewpost-right.png

I am not sure the Premier Leagues 4th top goal scorer - in a relegated team - would be happy to sit on anyones bench. He has been quite simply unplayable this season.

Yakubu is an excellent player and equally important, one within our reach. No lack of skill though his goals have come over few games.I doubt Ricky or Billy will hack it in the Premier unless they have someone like Yakubu alongside of them.

I've offered my opinion, 'come on' isn't going to change my mind. Rovers weren't a bad attacking team over the season so hardly terrible. Did ok at everton, then quite badly, did ok at Leicester a league below, did well at middlesbrough.

Is there anything wrong with not thinking a player would suit a certain system? Or just not liking a player? Defoe is better than most our strikers, would score goals, but I don't like him. What is that bad? At some point you need to decide what you're actually supporting, otherwise it might as be the PFC mercenary for hire approach.

As for the Yak, goalscoring blinds some people, it's all about individuals not teams. Well I disagree. You're welcome to your opinion, but for me doing well in any league is having what's best for the team, not securing any individual with a half decent record and hoping it works out.

he did well at pompey too

Yakubu cost M'boro 7.5m and Everton 11.25m!

If we can get him on a free after scoring 20 goals for a v.poor B'burn side we should take him 100%

I proven premier league striker with a bit of pace...who can score 15+ goals in a relegated team for nothing...yes please