Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Apparently Marin is very unsettled at Weder Bremen and he knows we're a great team as we beat his lot 3-0 ..... HCDAJFU

The same Marin that's already signed for Chelsea? I assume (hope!) that post is tongue in cheek anyway!

Interesting article in an Italian newspaper about good value Italian players. The reason I give the link is not because I think we'd be after any of them but it got me thinking about our scouting networks and whether any signing will NOT be on our list!:-)

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/notizie/2012-05-10/calcio-costo-valore-giocatori-163228.shtml?uuid=AbAA5faF

Transfer Rumours ‏ @1TransferRumour

Southampton are interested in Birmingham's Nathan Redmond and Jordan Mutch despite interest from bigger clubs. #Saints

I've never understood the interest in Burke, another good championship player but not good enough to make the step up. Reminds me o McCann. Lacks that little bit extra you need at the top level. Redmond looks a far better option to me although not the finished article. He's going places. Mutch is a class act, again not the finished article, but he has the touch to play in the Prem. Taking these two would hurt brum fans the most as they are their future. Like buying Chamberlain and Morgan.

Zaha is all tricks and no end product. I'd rather we didn't sign him.
I don't agree with that. He has tricks but he also delivers. We kept him very quiet at SMS, and you could say the same at their place, but we made a huge effort to do so and the management clearly identified him as their key player. Lallana worked his socks off to help Fox, and fix himself got much tighter than I have seen him do all season. Fox had one of his best games in a Saints shirt. Despite that Zaha still managed to get drop his his shoulder, have the pace and strength to get to the byline and hit a low wicked cross in that could and should have been buried. No matter how hard we tried we still couldn't prevent him coming up with that little bit of magic that created a guilt edge chance.

And that's the point, in the Prem you are going to need attackers with more than just the run of the mill pace and tricks otherwise you end up with McCant out wide creating absolutely **** all. Zaha is a rare talent, the only thing that will hold him back is his attitude. He is too easily wound up. If he gets the protection from refs he needs and hasn't got IMO, then maybe he'll not lose his head so much.

Having watched Zaha 3 times this season, and speaking to many Palace fans, I really hope we don't go wasting out money on him. He is quick and has a few tricks up his sleave, but he really does not have an end product. He's very over rated. No better than Guly, De Ridder or Puncheon.

Having watched Zaha 3 times this season, and speaking to many Palace fans, I really hope we don't go wasting out money on him. He is quick and has a few tricks up his sleave, but he really does not have an end product. He's very over rated. No better than Guly, De Ridder or Puncheon.

He's got nowhere near the quality Guly possesses in regards to the final ball. Guly's chip back to the onrushing Lallana against Coventry was merely a testament to this. As you say, Zaha is overrated.

In goalscoring, yes. But also in destroying the wage structure and the no tossers plan. Maybe 1 or 2 like him are fine so long as the squad isn't overrun, I'm not sure.

Just suspicious of these players on the way down who've shown they'll go anywhere for the money. I guess I lost all respect for him when he signed for PFC purely for money.

If there was ever a player who would definitely disrupt morale then its him. Stay well clear. Would much rather honest, hardworking, down to earth pros like Sharp and Rickie got their chance before we go chasing players who think they are better than they are and put their own interests ahead of the team.

He's quick, good with his head, scores all kinds of different goals, can hold the ball up well, would be an ideal future replacement for Lambert as our CF. Agreed it would be a risk as he is unproven at a higher level. Pilkington didn't do too badly either from league one though in the PL. 38 goals is a ridiculous too and we know league one is no walk in the park. Sadly (but understandably from a Huddersfield perspective) they'll want big money for him, I think around the 7-8 million mark.

He's quick, good with his head, scores all kinds of different goals, can hold the ball up well, would be an ideal future replacement for Lambert as our CF. Agreed it would be a risk as he is unproven at a higher level. Pilkington didn't do too badly either from league one though in the PL. 38 goals is a ridiculous too and we know league one is no walk in the park. Sadly (but understandably from a Huddersfield perspective) they'll want big money for him, I think around the 7-8 million mark.

which is utterly INSANE no matter how many league 1 goals he has

Which is why I think we'll look abroad. Even Jay Rod is insanely priced as they want UPWARDS of £8m. That's crazy.

Two of the current top Prem goal scorers cost less them him.( Ba/Cisse).

Rhodes isn't quick, and is all round game isn't brilliant. He is a great finisher and has lots of L1 goals. Lots of Prem teams haVe watched him but nobody has seriously moved for him.

Also has to be said that l1 this yer wasn't as strong as when we were in it. MK Dons were woeful today and Hudds not much better.

Realistically he is a huge gamble at Prem level for anything over £2/3m and would do well signing for Leicester or someone like that.

Edited by Saint Charlie

They're going down the QPR route then.

That'll work well.

Just because it never worked for QPR does not mean it won't work for reading...who is to say what sort of season QPR would have had if they stuck with warnock

would be a brilliant signing IMO

Might work short term but it's not exactly team building, and not clever with the old finances. But if they sign him, there will be people on here moaning about our lack of ambition. I imagine there were some Norwich and Swansea fans moaning that QPR had signed 'proven and experienced' premiership stars like Barton, Ferdinand, Young, Wright-Phillips. Nevermind the fact they're all gash.

but defoe is not gash though

which is utterly INSANE no matter how many league 1 goals he has

Ah yes but 7 million is 3.5 mill upfront and then several million appearance/ goal/ international fees staggered. Still even 3.5 million is stupid money for a league 1 player. What's the record for that league?

Redmond looks very good, linked with far bigger clubs but most players are. Moses for instance. Never hurts to bid just in case others are holding back.

Right back is needed. Looks like it might be Trippier which seems a good idea.

CM most vital IMO. Cork and Morgan are great and improving, but maybe not together in a pair, and neither score. So hopefully a bit more goal threat and experience CM.

Striker to add to quality options too. Probably an extra CB and maybe a back up keeper. Not sure we'll get a left back, but wouldn't want to see Fox getting injured or suspended.

That's 6 signings, which seems about right when keeping the basis of the squad but improving steadily. Tadanari will be like a new signing too though.

I would add Nathaniel Clyne to the potential right back suggestions. He eas 1 of Place's best payers when we won there in the legue. The only issue is that other teams are apparently after him as well!

I agree with your point that a CM is reuired. We didn't get enough goals from CM last season and a goal scoring CM is a big bonus for any team.

There seems to be a few players suggested for the striker option. The most likely ones for me are Jay Rodriguez & Jordan Rhodes.

Another CB would be good for competition for places. Zak Whitbread seems to be the most likely candidate for that position at the moment although I feel we could do better

A backup keeper would be another bonus. I feel that Bialkowski is a promising keeper but he desperately needs a run of 1st team football. I think we will rnew his contract and then loan him out to a Championship team for the season to get him some much needed 1st team experience. Kasper Schmeical is a good shout for me as competition for Kelvin.

LB is an interesting position. I rate Danny Fox as easily our 1st choice LB, but we do have a very exciting LB in our academy in Luke Shaw. I'm not sure how much game time he will get next season though.

Another area I feel we need to add to is pace. We need some more players with real pace to help us to counter attack as well as track back and defend. 2 of he names that keep cropping up are Matt Phillips & Wilfred Zaha. Given the choice I would go for Matt Phillips.

If the fee was reasonable would you rather Rhodes or Jay Rod?

Tough choice.

As for Defoe he is a class finisher, can't see him going to Reading though (wages++). He'll go to Liverpool I think. I wouldn't call him a troublesome player either, there is nothing to suggest he is that sort of player and in fact he interview very well and seems professional.

I agree with others, Defoe is a class act and perhaps Englands second best striker. It doesn't surprise me he finds himself out in the cold with Redknapp as his manager though. Whoever he goes to will have a good player.

I'd rather we sign good players than names though. The Norwich style of signings over QPR's anytime please.

Because swansea and norwich have had one good season its now decided that buying non named & prem inexperienced is better than signing proven big names!?

How much of this is down to the manager though?

Look at the form table since hughes took over QPR and they are well above norwich and swansea!!!

Because swansea and norwich have had one good season its now decided that buying non named & prem inexperienced is better than signing proven big names!?

Look at the form table since hughes took over QPR and they are well above norwich and swansea!!!

Barton, while a half decent player, was a massive tempramental risk, Wright-Phillips is massively overrated - his talent is based on pace, which he'll lose quickly in his early thirties. Young is past it and Ferdinand is not brilliant either. Add to that Zamora, Cisse and Taiwo and you've got a wage bill that will eventually cripple you. Especially if they go down tomorrow, which unlikely, I hope happens.

QPR have struggled all season with so called "big names" so pls don't believe that's the way forward!!

Barton, while a half decent player, was a massive tempramental risk, Wright-Phillips is massively overrated - his talent is based on pace, which he'll lose quickly in his early thirties. Young is past it and Ferdinand is not brilliant either. Add to that Zamora, Cisse and Taiwo and you've got a wage bill that will eventually cripple you. Especially if they go down tomorrow, which unlikely, I hope happens.

The issue is not with "big names" more with the mix! SWP and Barton were always going to be a big expensive gamble! That does not mean that players like Defoe will be the same!

How about Bendtner? Got a bit to prove.

Will probably want 50k per week and is the self proclaimed "best striker in Denmark" or something...

Could be a good player but not sure he'll pass the "no idiots" rule for the squad

Chung Yung Lee from Bolton anyone? Was injured for most/all of this season but RM, hardworking, would link up well with Tadanari and is pretty good from what I've seen of him.

Thoughts? (before someone does don't go off on the will sell more shirts bring lots of Japanese over cl in 5 years tangent please!)

Ok , before anyone snaps at me, these are outsiders and ones maybe outta our reach but worth a look I think.

Gyan ? Obviously a quality striker, and fell out with someone at Sunderland, wages would be a big issue, but price within our budget and would be a 10-15 goals player, worth the money I think. If he would come.

Kyrgiakos, never settled at wolfsberg, prem experience, maybe a bit old (32) but decent centreback with experience.

Paul Scharner - On a free from west brom - def a good prem player. solid. Again wages could be an issue, ment to be on a bit at WBA but then that is why they are letting him go.

Pienaar - Everton dont have the money- tottenham dont want him.

Dos Santos - A really good player just not liked by redknapp - plays for mexico and is quality.

Holden and Lee from Bolton if they do down.

Holden and Lee definitely, Scharner yes - always need versatility and like you said solid, kyriagos no for me, Peinnar unsure - obviously a good player but not sure where he'd fit in and will likely stay at Everton anyway, not seen a lot of Dos Santos but I've heard good things and plays RM I think, so think I would take him as well.

Dos Santos is a good shout, young and given how he is treated at Spurs would probably have a point to prove. Seems to be in an odd situation at Spurs though. Redknapp doesn't rate him much but every time a team tries to buy him Tottenham demand a large fee (relative to how much he is used). I think Sevilla wanted him in January but pulled out because tottenham asked for too much money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092336/Sevilla-quit-race-sign-Giovani-dos-Santos-Tottenham.html

According to this article Spurs wanted 5.4m, which is quite a large sum for someone who is only given run outs in cup games.

Scharner is another who could definitely do a job, steady PL quality player with lots of experience at that level.

Pretty unlikely, but a player in the mould we're looking for and of sufficient quality to start every week - John Guidetti on loan from Manchester City? Unlikely to be able to play as much first team football as he'd like there, but his progress at Feyenoord (who possibly have an option to extend the loan for 6 months into next season?) has been notable - so City may want to keep hold of him, and give him PL experience. Would be a perfect striking option for a year, anyway.

He was Harry's favourite (when a teenager at Wham)..went on loan to B'mouth and broke all their goal-scoring records...then had a spell at Pompey when HR went there, and then onto Spu*s... but now ...it would be a smart deal for Spurs to be off with someone 29 years old, and an uncertain future for a goodly sum.

Sorry lad, but business is business....

Chung Yung Lee from Bolton anyone? Was injured for most/all of this season but RM, hardworking, would link up well with Tadanari and is pretty good from what I've seen of him.

Thoughts? (before someone does don't go off on the will sell more shirts bring lots of Japanese over cl in 5 years tangent please!)

I chuckled myself when I saw that.

We have one oriental Lee already (who likes to be called Chung)... so what about signing another ..with the same name?

Pretty unlikely, but a player in the mould we're looking for and of sufficient quality to start every week - John Guidetti on loan from Manchester City? Unlikely to be able to play as much first team football as he'd like there, but his progress at Feyenoord (who possibly have an option to extend the loan for 6 months into next season?) has been notable - so City may want to keep hold of him, and give him PL experience. Would be a perfect striking option for a year, anyway.
¨

I've mentioned him a number of times in the past.

The Swedish press don't miss a chance to publicise his name every game he scores for Feyenoord, and its been 20 goals this season so far. Looks impressive.

Edited by david in sweden

]If the fee was reasonable would you rather Rhodes or Jay Rod? [/b]

Tough choice.

As for Defoe he is a class finisher, can't see him going to Reading though (wages++). He'll go to Liverpool I think. I wouldn't call him a troublesome player either, there is nothing to suggest he is that sort of player and in fact he interview very well and seems professional.

If the fee was reasonable, I would rather have Jay Rod. Although I didn't think he did a lot against us in either game last year (I was at both games by the way!), I have heard very encouraging things about Jay Rod's ability and he is still young.

He will be great competition for Lambert, Sharp & Lee for a starting place up front as well! He is a similar size to Lambert (physically) as well which is another big positive. His goal scoring record last season (15 league goals I think) is a very good return as well!

Changing subject a bit, another potential option for the back up keeper position IMO is Keiren Westwood. He is still only 27 and doesn't seem to get a game at Sunderland anymore since joining them on a free from Coventry last year. He is a similar type of goal keeper to Kelvin in that he is a great shot stopper. I believe he would welcome the chance to show that he can do a job in the Premier League.

I don't think loan players are the answer - they just don't seem to fit into the team ethic that has seen success at the club over the last 3 seasons IMO.

I disagree in this case. A player from a top club who can perform immediately at our level - and even if they succeed won't necessarily force their way into contention at their parent club - is surely lower risk than spending silly money on Hooper/Rodriguez/Rhodes, none of whom (I think) demonstrate the same level of potential that Guidetti has. From all of the interviews/features etc. I've seen written about him, he doesn't appear to be of the normal footballer mould, he's got an incredible focus and determination (and self-belief) in a way that a lot of young players do not - I would not think that he'd be a disruptive influence, from the sounds of it he just wants to play regular football at the highest possible level he can.