Obama

CabbageFace

what i dont get is all the happyness being shown when none of us really know what he is all about..?

talk about over reaction

In my case it's more a matter of feeling that electing McCain would see us enter another 4 years of headlong rushing into countries without discussion or negotiation.

While I understand the need to meet terrorism with an equal, if not stronger, force I would welcome a return to negotiation in an effort to learn what is wanted and try to find common ground to build upon. While, I believe, Obama will be no pushover I do think that he will afford people some time to come to the table and air those grievances. I'm not so confident that McCain and his administration would be willing to try that.

Which itself would have left the UK military increasingly bearing the brunt of the fight both physically and financially.

While currently most, if not all, terrorists appear to be of the Muslim faith it does not necessarily mean that most, if not all, Muslims are terrorists. Likewise it is a very sad and xenophobic attempt to link the name Hussein to being

a. Muslim and

b. Therefore terrorist

Hand on heart, the majority of people in this country would vote for a man because of his policies and not his creed, ideology or colour. Because most of the people in this country are not racist or xenophobic.

While you, I and many more are happy to see Obama as the first black president of the USA we still need to observe the insidious ways that the racists will work to undermine society.

If Obama fails it will not be because he is black. It may be because his policies are flawed, it may be even because there are people who do not want him to succeed.

Of what I have seen he is brave and might turn out to be a great man. I do hope so, but I fear that it will turn out to be a them and us situation if we are not careful.

I do hope you do not believe I think because they are muslim they are terroists as that would be offensive and far from the truth.

Honestly, who cares what religion the man is? Religion is one of the greatest evils humanity has ever conjured up and all it has EVER done is cause wars, conflict and death.

for their part in global warming

2 points to answer from your post. I agree religion is the worst evil, and that nobody should be taught it until they were over 18 when they can make thier own minds up.

Secondly the global warning thing. I dont know what age you are but my experience is of the younger generations, citizens who have been taught from an early age of the perils of waste and usage of energy. Tell me whose kids dont leave all the lights on in the house or cant be faffed to walk or to the bus stop but rather drive their old bangers of cars, and the people walking into IKEA and filling their homes with furniture etc that will be thrown away in a few years so they can have a new lounge. It is convienient ot point the finger at the big bad Yanks but we here as responsible and wasteful so cannot throw the first stone.

2 points to answer from your post. I agree religion is the worst evil, and that nobody should be taught it until they were over 18 when they can make thier own minds up.

Secondly the global warning thing. I dont know what age you are but my experience is of the younger generations, citizens who have been taught from an early age of the perils of waste and usage of energy. Tell me whose kids dont leave all the lights on in the house or cant be faffed to walk or to the bus stop but rather drive their old bangers of cars, and the people walking into IKEA and filling their homes with furniture etc that will be thrown away in a few years so they can have a new lounge. It is convienient ot point the finger at the big bad Yanks but we here as responsible and wasteful so cannot throw the first stone.

I totally agree and you're quite right, it would be extremely hypocritical of us to 'lump' all the blame on the USA, but as one of the largest consumers of natural resources, they need to set the example for countries such as China.

His father is Kenyan, his mother is a white mid-westerner. That means that the half of him that actually is American is white :)

I just glad that McChip didn't get in, as there is no way he would have lasted a full term, and Mrs Palin frightens me more than Maggie T ever did.

Mrs Palin frightens me more than Maggie T ever did.

It's interesting what Palin will do now. I'm hoping she just ****s off back to her igloo to continue helping in her husband's secessionist interests.

Some are saying she represents the direction of where the GOP wants to go now...don't know whether to laugh or cry... :rolleyes:

Right, I'm off to prepare myself for the impending catastrophe that soothsayer St George has generously warned us about that wouldn't have threatened if McCain had made it.

The best thing about the democrats winning the election is that we'll soon see the back of **** Cheney, Paul Wolfovitz (sp) and the hard right christian fundamentalist who have created and profited from many of the problems in the world today.

Bye, bye PNAC it wasn't nice to know you.

This letter, written in 1998, says it all IMHO

January 26, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton

President of the United States

Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor.

The policy of “containment” of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam’s secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons.

Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world’s supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat.

Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate. The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.

We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council.

We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitage William J. Bennett

Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky

Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad

William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W. Rodman

Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber

Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey Robert B. Zoellick

Edited by Saint Paul C

OK, I can handle that and I am sure OhioSaint can too.

Back in the 60's I read the following story about a vision that occured to Jeanne Dixon, the woman who predicted JFKennedy's assassination. I've never forgotten about this vision and the date mentioned. At one time I even thought it might refer to Michael Jackson. Dixon's visions were very real but her own interpretations were off the mark. She predicted a terrorist attack on the States to which Nixon prepared. It may have referred to 9/11.

Last night and seeing that Obama was born 4th Aug 1961 had me thinking that the baby she mentions may have referred to his rise to the Presidency. The event took place 6 months after Obama was born. For several months before this vision there had been a similar planetary line up as at the time of Christ's birth 2000 years ago.

Makes fascinating reading and may be a warning of things to come

Jeane Dixon( 1904-1997)'s Vision

The vision which Jeane Dixon considers to be the most significant and soul-stirring of her life occurred shortly before sunrise on February 5, 1962. The date itself may have special significance, though Jeane was unaware of that fact at the time. For several months beforehand, astrologers and soothsayers had been predicting an earth-shaking event on that day ...some even forecast the end of the world...because a rare conjunction of the planets. A similar conjunction which occurred nearly two thousand years ago is believed b some biblical scholars to explain the "bright star in the east" which dazzles shepherds and guided three Wise Men to humble manger behind a crowded inn in Bethlehem.

Three nights before Jean's vision she was meditating in her room when she became aware that the light was dimming. Glancing up, she saw the five bulbs in the crystal chandelier go dark, except for a curious round ball which glowed brilliantly in the center of each. Strangely frightened, she ran into her husband's bedroom and told him of the light failure. Since their other house lights were working properly, Mr. Dixon assumed that a fuse for one circuit had blown, but when he started down the hall to investigate he noticed that Jeane's chandelier was again burning brightly.

The next evening during her meditations the phenomenon recurred. This time Jeane remained quietly in her room, staring at the tiny balls of light in the otherwise darkened bulbs. In approximately ten seconds, she say, she head "a tiny crackling sound." The wires in the clear bulbs then began to glow again, and normal light resumed. When the performance was repeated exactly as before on the third evening, Jeane accepted it as an omen that something important was soon to befall. She did not know when or where. The next morning she overslept, but the sun was not yet up as she walked toward the bay window of her bedroom which faces east.

At she gazed outside she saw, nt the bare-limbed trees and city street below, but a bright blue sky above a barren desert. Just above the horizon was the brightest sun that she had ever seen, glowing like a golden ball. Splashing from the orb in every direction were brilliant rays which seemed to be drawing the earth toward it like a magnet. Stepping out of the brightness of the sun's rays, hand in hand, were a Pharaoh and Queen Nefertiti. Cradled n the Queen's other arm was a baby, his ragged, soled clothing in startling contrast to the gorgeously arrayed royal couple. "The eyes of this child were all-knowing," Jeane say softly. "They were full of wisdom and knowledge."

A little to one side of Queen Nefertiti, Jeane could glimpse a pyramid. While she watched entranced, the couple advanced toward her and thrust forth the baby, as if offering it to the entire world. Within the ball of the sun, Jeane saw Joseph guiding the tableau like a puppeteer pulling strings. Now rays of light burst forth from the baby, blending with those of the sun and obliterating the Pharaoh from her sight. Off to the left, she observed that Queen Nefertiti was walking away, "thousands of miles into the past." The Queen paused beside a large brown water jug, and as she stooped and cupped her hands to drink she was stabbed in the back by a dagger. Jeane says that she "distinctly heard her death scream as she vanished."

Jeane shifted her gaze back to the baby. He had by now grown to manhood, and a small cross which formed above him began to expand until it "dripped over the earth in all directions. Simultaneously, peoples of every race, religion, and color (black, yellow, red, brown and white), each kneeling and lifting his arms in worshipful adoration, surrounded him. They were all as one," Unlike previous visions, which had gradually faded away from Jeane, this one moved ever nearer until she seemed to be in the very midst of the action, joining int he adoring worship. "I felt a tiny seed ready to sprout and grow," she says, "But I was only one of millions of similar seeds. I knew within my heart. "here is the beginning of wisdom" The room was becoming dark again, and though she was still caught up in the spell of the vision, Jeane glanced automatically at her bedside clock. The time was 7:17 a.m.

What does it mean? What is the significance of this strange visitation ona dull February morning in Washington, a third of the way around the world from Egypt/ Jeane feels that she ha been shown that answer. A bit haltingly, she explains it this way: "A child, born somewhere in the Middle east shortly after 7 a.m. (EST) on February 5, 1962, will revolutionize the world. BEfore the close of the century he will bring together all mankind in one all-embracing faith. This will be the foundation of a new Christianity, with every sect and creed united through this man who will walk among the people to spread the wisdom of the Almighty Power.

"This person, though born of humble peasant origin, is a descendant of Queen Nefertiti and her Pharaoh husband; of this I am sure. There was nothing kingly about his coming...no kings or shepherds to do homage to this newborn baby...but he is the answer to the prayers of a troubled world. Mankind will begin to feel the great force of this man in the early 1980's and during the subsequent ten years the world as we know it will be reshaped and revamped into one without wars or suffering. His power will grow greatly until 1999, at which time the people of this earth will probably discover the full meaning of the vision."

Attempting to describe her own sensation, Jeane says: "I felt suspended and enfolded, as if I were surrounded by whipped cream. For the first time I understood the full meaning of the biblical phrase, "My cup runneth over." I loved all mankind. I felt that I would never again need food or sleep, because I had experienced perfect peace."

As a reporter, I felt there were questions that must be asked. How could she be sure that the queen in her vision was Nefertiti? Who was the Pharaoh who disappeared back into the sun? Why was Joseph in the vision? Jeane could answer only in part. She said that she recognized Nefertiti from a small bust of the famed Egyptian Queen, which a friend once brought to her from Cairo. She "knew" that the Pharaoh was married to Nefertiti but had no idea of his name or identity. Joseph seemed to be controlling the couple and inducing them to present the child to the world, but she did into know why.

Baffled by the meaning of the strangely compelling vision, I consulted the Old Testament to job my memory about Joseph. I recalled, of course, that as the favorite son of Jacob he had been sold into Egyptian bondage by jealous older brothers. I knew that eventually he saved his family from starvation, when famine came, but beyond that...what? Turning to Genesis, I read that "hidden things were revealed to him" and he was able to "interpret dreams". Because of this, a grateful Pharaoh made him governor of all Egypt and presented him with a wife, Asenath, whose father Potipherah was an influential priest.

So Joseph could understand meanings and interpret dreams1 I next turned to the Encyclopedia Britannica and learned that Nefertiti was the wife of Pharaoh Amenhotep IV who, after abandoning the worship of Amon, "devoted himself to that of the Aton (the solar disk)." He thereafter changed his name to Ikhnaton and built a new capital dedicated to worship of the sun on the banks of the Nile above Cairo. Archaeological evidence suggested that Nefertiti was also an "ardent supporter of the Aton (sun worship) religion." They had seven daughters but no sons. Suddenly I realized how strange it was that Jeane Dixon, who was totally unaware that Nefertiti and her husband had worshiped the sun, nevertheless "saw" them stepping forth from the solar disk in a vision.

You also got 'Bill Ayers' in

The domestic terrorist that wanted to "eliminate" at least 25 million Americans (and as of 2001, still does)now has full and unfettered access to the Whitehouse and all that goes with it .....Hope you can live with that.

What an absolute fool George is.

Can I suggest that you run for the hills right now with your provisions to establish an anti-government enclave complete with M-16s, ammunition and hare traps George?

America voted overwhelmingly, at presidential, senate and house of reps level!

Funnily enough, I agree with checks and balances that St George mentions elsewhere but the Reps gave themselves no chance of getting those things anyway.

I don't agree with all Obama says but to see the difference between Obama at his victory speech and Bush's passover speech illustrates quite clearly the difference between the two in terms of passion, belief and ability.

PS. I do feel sympathy for McCain, he's a decent guy who snuck through the Rep primaries because of division within his right wing opponents and I'm sure he can make a contribution still. Palin however was a suicidal move designed to appeal to the Rep base such as St George and with no chance of reaching out to the floating vote. What twits!

Tim Dowling in the Grauniad today:

"Those who voted for Barack Obama can glory in the fact that hope didn't simply triumph over cynicism, it smashed its fat ugly face in. Even Americans who didn't vote for him should be proud they live in a country where wiser people can be counted on to cancel out their mistake."

Nicely put, I though :lol:

Well his late father is from Kenya, if that automatically makes him 'of that persuasion' then so be it.

Honestly, who cares what religion the man is? Religion is one of the greatest evils humanity has ever conjured up and all it has EVER done is cause wars, conflict and death.

The man will finally make America 'step up': I have no doubts that the US will be out of Iraq by 2010, they will finally take responsibility for their part in global warming and Obama will introduce free health care for American citizens - Something with EVERY citizen of the globe should be entitled too!

religion sure does cause some problems. But one of the biggest evils?

Compared to , say, totalitarianism?

Or The arms industry?

or Nationalism?

religion sure does cause some problems. But one of the biggest evils?

Compared to , say, totalitarianism?

Or The arms industry?

or Nationalism?

For people to have faith is wonderful, but to have those faiths so up against each other is the problem. It is like here in a minute way 'you believe that RL is not all bad' so you're a pr###.

Rather than 'You think RL is not all bad' Ok I can see some of what you mena but...

There is little leeway and religion breeds conflict, surely that is not what faith is for.

Did they vote for him because of his policies or other reasons?

The opposition was garbage, wouldn't have won if the Rednecks could have trumped up an excuse to field Schwarzy.

I would think that for some reason or other the Republicans didn't want to win.

Obama may well do a fine job, but whatever he does probably won't live up to the weight of the expectations that have been placed upon him.

, j

Aha the old age of aquarius bullsh*t again.

Obama was born in Hawaii wasn't he ? hardly the Middle East is it.

Mme Dixon, foresaw whatever she wanted to foresee, as did Nostradamus;

You can always put whatever spin you want on the ramblings of astrologers and other associated nutjobs, it's a sort of hypnotic suggestion.

Here's a little Nostradamus prediction of the episode

The great empire will be torn from limb,

The all-powerful one for more than four hundred years:

Great power given to the dark one from slaves come,

The Aryana will not be satisfied thereby.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Aha the old age of aquarius bullsh*t again.

Obama was born in Hawaii wasn't he ? hardly the Middle East is it.

Mme Dixon, foresaw whatever she wanted to foresee, as did Nostradamus;

You can always put whatever spin you want on the ramblings of astrologers and other associated nutjobs, it's a sort of hypnotic suggestion.

Here's a little Nostradamus prediction of the episode

The great empire will be torn from limb,

The all-powerful one for more than four hundred years:

Great power given to the dark one from slaves come,

The Aryana will not be satisfied thereby.

I refer you to: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=98135#post98135

post 58

Great minds and all that :)

Back in the 60's I read the following story about a vision that occured to Jeanne Dixon, the woman who predicted JFKennedy's assassination. I've never forgotten about this vision and the date mentioned. At one time I even thought it might refer to Michael Jackson. Dixon's visions were very real but her own interpretations were off the mark. She predicted a terrorist attack on the States to which Nixon prepared. It may have referred to 9/11.

Last night and seeing that Obama was born 4th Aug 1961 had me thinking that the baby she mentions may have referred to his rise to the Presidency. The event took place 6 months after Obama was born. For several months before this vision there had been a similar planetary line up as at the time of Christ's birth 2000 years ago.

Makes fascinating reading and may be a warning of things to come

Jeane Dixon( 1904-1997)'s Vision

The vision which Jeane Dixon considers to be the most significant and soul-stirring of her life occurred shortly before sunrise on February 5, 1962. The date itself may have special significance, though Jeane was unaware of that fact at the time. For several months beforehand, astrologers and soothsayers had been predicting an earth-shaking event on that day ...some even forecast the end of the world...because a rare conjunction of the planets. A similar conjunction which occurred nearly two thousand years ago is believed b some biblical scholars to explain the "bright star in the east" which dazzles shepherds and guided three Wise Men to humble manger behind a crowded inn in Bethlehem.

Three nights before Jean's vision she was meditating in her room when she became aware that the light was dimming. Glancing up, she saw the five bulbs in the crystal chandelier go dark, except for a curious round ball which glowed brilliantly in the center of each. Strangely frightened, she ran into her husband's bedroom and told him of the light failure. Since their other house lights were working properly, Mr. Dixon assumed that a fuse for one circuit had blown, but when he started down the hall to investigate he noticed that Jeane's chandelier was again burning brightly.

The next evening during her meditations the phenomenon recurred. This time Jeane remained quietly in her room, staring at the tiny balls of light in the otherwise darkened bulbs. In approximately ten seconds, she say, she head "a tiny crackling sound." The wires in the clear bulbs then began to glow again, and normal light resumed. When the performance was repeated exactly as before on the third evening, Jeane accepted it as an omen that something important was soon to befall. She did not know when or where. The next morning she overslept, but the sun was not yet up as she walked toward the bay window of her bedroom which faces east.

At she gazed outside she saw, nt the bare-limbed trees and city street below, but a bright blue sky above a barren desert. Just above the horizon was the brightest sun that she had ever seen, glowing like a golden ball. Splashing from the orb in every direction were brilliant rays which seemed to be drawing the earth toward it like a magnet. Stepping out of the brightness of the sun's rays, hand in hand, were a Pharaoh and Queen Nefertiti. Cradled n the Queen's other arm was a baby, his ragged, soled clothing in startling contrast to the gorgeously arrayed royal couple. "The eyes of this child were all-knowing," Jeane say softly. "They were full of wisdom and knowledge."

A little to one side of Queen Nefertiti, Jeane could glimpse a pyramid. While she watched entranced, the couple advanced toward her and thrust forth the baby, as if offering it to the entire world. Within the ball of the sun, Jeane saw Joseph guiding the tableau like a puppeteer pulling strings. Now rays of light burst forth from the baby, blending with those of the sun and obliterating the Pharaoh from her sight. Off to the left, she observed that Queen Nefertiti was walking away, "thousands of miles into the past." The Queen paused beside a large brown water jug, and as she stooped and cupped her hands to drink she was stabbed in the back by a dagger. Jeane says that she "distinctly heard her death scream as she vanished."

Jeane shifted her gaze back to the baby. He had by now grown to manhood, and a small cross which formed above him began to expand until it "dripped over the earth in all directions. Simultaneously, peoples of every race, religion, and color (black, yellow, red, brown and white), each kneeling and lifting his arms in worshipful adoration, surrounded him. They were all as one," Unlike previous visions, which had gradually faded away from Jeane, this one moved ever nearer until she seemed to be in the very midst of the action, joining int he adoring worship. "I felt a tiny seed ready to sprout and grow," she says, "But I was only one of millions of similar seeds. I knew within my heart. "here is the beginning of wisdom" The room was becoming dark again, and though she was still caught up in the spell of the vision, Jeane glanced automatically at her bedside clock. The time was 7:17 a.m.

What does it mean? What is the significance of this strange visitation ona dull February morning in Washington, a third of the way around the world from Egypt/ Jeane feels that she ha been shown that answer. A bit haltingly, she explains it this way: "A child, born somewhere in the Middle east shortly after 7 a.m. (EST) on February 5, 1962, will revolutionize the world. BEfore the close of the century he will bring together all mankind in one all-embracing faith. This will be the foundation of a new Christianity, with every sect and creed united through this man who will walk among the people to spread the wisdom of the Almighty Power.

"This person, though born of humble peasant origin, is a descendant of Queen Nefertiti and her Pharaoh husband; of this I am sure. There was nothing kingly about his coming...no kings or shepherds to do homage to this newborn baby...but he is the answer to the prayers of a troubled world. Mankind will begin to feel the great force of this man in the early 1980's and during the subsequent ten years the world as we know it will be reshaped and revamped into one without wars or suffering. His power will grow greatly until 1999, at which time the people of this earth will probably discover the full meaning of the vision."

Attempting to describe her own sensation, Jeane says: "I felt suspended and enfolded, as if I were surrounded by whipped cream. For the first time I understood the full meaning of the biblical phrase, "My cup runneth over." I loved all mankind. I felt that I would never again need food or sleep, because I had experienced perfect peace."

As a reporter, I felt there were questions that must be asked. How could she be sure that the queen in her vision was Nefertiti? Who was the Pharaoh who disappeared back into the sun? Why was Joseph in the vision? Jeane could answer only in part. She said that she recognized Nefertiti from a small bust of the famed Egyptian Queen, which a friend once brought to her from Cairo. She "knew" that the Pharaoh was married to Nefertiti but had no idea of his name or identity. Joseph seemed to be controlling the couple and inducing them to present the child to the world, but she did into know why.

Baffled by the meaning of the strangely compelling vision, I consulted the Old Testament to job my memory about Joseph. I recalled, of course, that as the favorite son of Jacob he had been sold into Egyptian bondage by jealous older brothers. I knew that eventually he saved his family from starvation, when famine came, but beyond that...what? Turning to Genesis, I read that "hidden things were revealed to him" and he was able to "interpret dreams". Because of this, a grateful Pharaoh made him governor of all Egypt and presented him with a wife, Asenath, whose father Potipherah was an influential priest.

So Joseph could understand meanings and interpret dreams1 I next turned to the Encyclopedia Britannica and learned that Nefertiti was the wife of Pharaoh Amenhotep IV who, after abandoning the worship of Amon, "devoted himself to that of the Aton (the solar disk)." He thereafter changed his name to Ikhnaton and built a new capital dedicated to worship of the sun on the banks of the Nile above Cairo. Archaeological evidence suggested that Nefertiti was also an "ardent supporter of the Aton (sun worship) religion." They had seven daughters but no sons. Suddenly I realized how strange it was that Jeane Dixon, who was totally unaware that Nefertiti and her husband had worshiped the sun, nevertheless "saw" them stepping forth from the solar disk in a vision.

A pretty long winded way of saying "I'll believe anything, me"

I think the Americans have just been watching 24 too much. Black guy gets elected president, America attacked several times by terrorist. Jack Bauer sorts them all out. President quits after 1 term then gets shot just before Jack Bauer can save him.

We will see if the 24 predictions come true! One down, several to go.

The opposition was garbage, wouldn't have won if the Rednecks could have trumped up an excuse to field Schwarzy.

I would think that for some reason or other the Republicans didn't want to win.

Obama may well do a fine job, but whatever he does probably won't live up to the weight of the expectations that have been placed upon him.

That may well be true and, in light of your last sentence, we could say that Dubya was the most successful president ever? Because he certainly lived up to my expectations of him.

I think the Americans have just been watching 24 too much. Black guy gets elected president, America attacked several times by terrorist. Jack Bauer sorts them all out. President quits after 1 term then gets shot just before Jack Bauer can save him.

In fact 24 just conditioned the American people to the idea of a black president.

Good job by some democratic screenwriting visionary;

Love the Obama dog saga though. Guy isn't straightlaced, calls himself a "mutt".

Last night I was having dinner with my daughter and her friend. Here were two young women, not generally interested at all in politics.

But they were so excited at what had happened in the US and so positive about the shape of the world to come.

My daughter's friend's brother lives in New York. He'd texted her to say that he'd never seen so many people in New York smiling, and at strangers. Something, apparently, New Yorkers never usually do.

Last night I was having dinner with my daughter and her friend. Here were two young women, not generally interested at all in politics.

But they were so excited at what had happened in the US and so positive about the shape of the world to come.

My daughter's friend's brother lives in New York. He'd texted her to say that he'd never seen so many people in New York smiling, and at strangers. Something, apparently, New Yorkers never usually do.

Jon Stewart mentioned this in his show after the elections. He's afraid a random stranger is going to invite him over for coffee and pie.:D

Do the BBC use this site for research?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7717578.stm - see point 4!