A thread for the deliberate stay away's only!

Tac-tics

Please just answer me one question, no if's or buts a straight answer.

If you was a footballer.

Would you rather play in front of 30,000 or 15,000?

30,000 of course. But let's get one thing straight we're are heading into a recession and peoples' disposable incomes are tight. Fans won't pay big money to watch reserve team football. Plus the Lowe factor is affecting many.

What exactly is a screwny mugg? There's a whole new language out there being spawned by the Yoof, but I can't be much bothered to learn it.

And just to respond in the same vein as Trousers, if I were a player I'd personally wish to play in front of 18,756 fans ideally, as I'm not quite as intimidated as he would be as a youngster.

If you was a footballer.

Would be interestig to hear from the players too.

i.e.

If you were a supporter, would you pay to watch Saints? Taking into consideration all the reasons given by the 'stay-aways'.

Note: I still go

I'm not a deliberate stay away so perhaps I am not allowed to answer. But if I was a Professional footballer (as opposed to just a footballer) I would try to play the same whether there was 30k, 15k or 1 man and his dog.

I would probably cack myself if there was 30k and I was young and inexperienced (I think I can remember that far back), so maybe smaller crowds would be better while I was learning the game.

Imjust intreged.

lol at the people who thought its a stupid question.

It clearly is'nt

But what prompted you to pose the question in the first place and what analysis have you drawn from the responses thus far? I'm intrigued (intreged) to know...!

For what it's worth 15000 or 30000 should make absolutely no difference at all - a pro footballer should be able to perform to the same level no matter what. I accept that this isn't always the case and as TDD has rightly pointed out - the crowd do play a part in a players performance - therefore I would opt for the largest crowd every time.

tbh after speaking to numerous players over the years they dont really notice the crowd too much as they are (or should be) focused on playing the game.

all of this 12th man b0ll0x is just that imo.............b0ll0x.

if you are a good footballer,you are a good footballer and no amount of chanting or singing by 60,000 or 60 fans is going to make you any better.

in the 80's i was lucky enough to be able to attend training sessions and 'behind closed doors' matches on a regular basis and there would be maybe 10 -15 people on the line,the players still played as well as if there was 20,000 people watching so i dont think they are too bothered about it.

Somewhat off topic I know but just listened to Daniel Levy of Spurs talking about the new ground. One of the reasons being that they have a waiting list of 22,000 for season tickets. I know we never had this 'problem' but it just goes to show the difference between the 'have's' and the 'have-nots'.

The point I was trying to make is players perform under larger numbers.... with only the acceptance of them being behind the team.

I ask on eof the youth team what they thought and they said there favourite game was at st.marys vs Liverpool a few years back, most they ever played infront off.

If you was a footballer.

Ok I am not a stay away although I have left before the end twice this year but am bored so...

If I was a footballer I wouldn't give a toss if it was one man and his dog or 30,000 as long as I got my wages!

That is the players mentality these days..its money nothing else and loyalty is only for fans.

The point I was trying to make is players perform under larger numbers....

I can remember everyone hyping up the home game against QPR a couple of seasons back. I think it was the largest gate so far and yet we didn't play well and got turned over.

However, I think pro's probably would like a full stadium giving maximum home support, but I would also like to see regular 10-0 wins, £1 entry and strippers at half time.

Howeve, the attendance issue is pretty simple. In the absence of anyone at the top who can engender a spirit of togetherness which might tempt people back, we need to win matches to pull in the punters.

Just because players might like to perform in front of larger crowds it will have no affect on the size of the crowd:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point I was trying to make is players perform under larger numbers.... with only the acceptance of them being behind the team.

I ask on eof the youth team what they thought and they said there favourite game was at st.marys vs Liverpool a few years back, most they ever played infront off.

What happens when UEFA and other governing bodies decide that games should be played 'behind closed doors'?

Do both teams suddenly develop an inability to even kick the ball :rolleyes:

The question is a non sequiter.

A fourth division player is used to playing in front of

A third division player is used to playing in front of

A second division player is used to playing in front of

A Prem division player is used to playing in front of 25000+ crowds

The players we have now with only one or two exceptions have mostly only ever played in front of crowds of 5000-10000, so as far as they are concerned everything is normal. They might be intimidated and overwhelmed by crowds of 25000 each week but as it isn't going to happen anytime soon it's all a bit academic

tbh after speaking to numerous players over the years they dont really notice the crowd too much as they are (or should be) focused on playing the game.

all of this 12th man b0ll0x is just that imo.............b0ll0x.

if you are a good footballer,you are a good footballer and no amount of chanting or singing by 60,000 or 60 fans is going to make you any better.

in the 80's i was lucky enough to be able to attend training sessions and 'behind closed doors' matches on a regular basis and there would be maybe 10 -15 people on the line,the players still played as well as if there was 20,000 people watching so i dont think they are too bothered about it.

Have to disagree on this point lordswoodsaints. My brother in law is a Stockport County fan & I went to Wembly with him for the pre cursor to the Johnson's paint trophy what ever it was called at the time. It was against Port Vale 2-0 down at half time & lucky it wasn't 8-0 county were Sh**e first 10-mins no better in the second half & fo 35-mins the whole County contigent stood up and sang Danny Baggara's blue & white army continously the only time they shut up was to celibrate a goal and imediateley started to sing again, it didn't win the game but it dragged them back into it. May only be a small club but prooves the power of support

30,000 of course. But let's get one thing straight we're are heading into a recession and peoples' disposable incomes are tight. Fans won't pay big money to watch reserve team football. Plus the Lowe factor is affecting many.

yeah and how many are saying they dont go cos of lowe, yet never went last year either?

just a handy excuse for loads of divs who would turn up next week if it was liverpool in the cup:rolleyes:

and yep football is way too dear regardless of who's on the pitch.

lets just hope the bubble well and truly bursts, and football returns to the people soon eh:)

yeah and how many are saying they dont go cos of lowe, yet never went last year either?

just a handy excuse for loads of divs who would turn up next week if it was liverpool in the cup:rolleyes:

and yep football is way too dear regardless of who's on the pitch.

lets just hope the bubble well and truly bursts, and football returns to the people soon eh:)

Do you think lowe is "a bit of a tosser" Shimon?

i stay away because we are so ****e it unbelievable....i could not care less who runs the club to be fair

Likewise, I dont like ****ing money up the wall. In reference to the original question, why have you not included the million other viewers when the sky cameras turn up? surely our players LOVE playing infront of even MORE fans............ah!

Likewise, I dont like ****ing money up the wall. In reference to the original question, why have you not included the million other viewers when the sky cameras turn up? surely our players LOVE playing infront of even MORE fans............ah!

im sorry windmill but if you dont like ****ing money up the wall then you should have never become a saints fan,in fact you should have never become a fan of football full stop,being a football fan is an expensive waste of time whatever team you support.

im sorry windmill but if you dont like ****ing money up the wall then you should have never become a saints fan,in fact you should have never become a fan of football full stop,being a football fan is an expensive waste of time whatever team you support.

I find i can be a football fan without ****ing money up the wall, you must be doing something wrong.

Naturally I guess I'd prefer 30,000 fans.

However I don't really care what the footballers would prefer. I'm not staying away because of Lowe - I'm staying away because we're crap, the games are crap, we'll probably lose and it's too expensive.

Lowe has said that football is a 'results led industry' and he's right. Until we stand a fair chance of competing better than we can at the moment then I'm not shelling out and wasting time on something I won't enjoy. Obviously this makes me a 'plastic' fan or a glory hunter which is fine and I can live with that.

what a ridiculous thing to say