Sony Cybershot not working

Crazy Diamond

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-W220, I've had it about two years and barely used it. My parents borrowed it when they went on holiday and found that it just didn't hold any charge in the battery and it would last a matter of minutes.

I bought a new battery, thinking it was a simple case of the old one being knackered. No such luck - I got the new battery today, inserted it into the camera and it worked, 150 minutes of life apparently. I then turned it off, it wouldn't turn on again.

I put it in the charger, which had the yellow light on for about five minutes, I put the battery back in and it turned on. I then read it might be an internal memory problem so I should take out the memory card, turn on again and format the internal memory. The camera didn't turn on so I couldn't even get that far. It now doesn't work at all - even when plugged into my laptop which usually powers it battery or not.

I called Sony's technical support, they say I need to send it off for a repair. I go to the website to register the repair, the register repair form is not working.

Any camera boffins have any ideas? I paid £170 for this two years ago and have had next to no use out of it at all so I'm really not happy.

Charger issue? You said it charged for 5 mins?

Yeah that occurred to me too. I was told on the phone that it was the camera or the battery though.

I am also suspicious as my old flatmate had the same charger but always asked to use mine - I'm wondering if his was broken and he switched it with mine.

It also doesn't explain how the camera one minute said a brand new battery had 150 minutes then the next refused to turn on, or why the camera won't turn on when connected to a power source.

Best bet is get it repaired under warranty if you've only had it 2 years. Where did you buy it from? Can you ask them?

According to Sony, the warranty is for one year, I bought it from Amazon in March 2009.

Trouble is, I wanted it for my graduation on Friday, and I'm guessing I won't be able to afford any repairs. Pretty certain in fact.