Converting Word/PDF Documents

Barney Trubble

I recently created a number of documents using another PC, just simple things like a CV and saved them to a USB stick.

However now I have saved the documents onto my PC, they won't open and those that do are a total mess.

Sometimes it will ask me about 'ASCII filter options', even when I ensure it's Western European it still opens messy with strange letters, small boxes etc.

Any suggestions on how to get these documents to work again.

On the PDF files, it won't open them at all, 'the selected document can't be opened' is the error message I get.

NOTE: I think the documents may have been created using the latest version of MS Word as the persons laptop was new. This was a trial version though and I think it's expired and I don't have any MS word programmes on my laptop.

I really need help with this as they are important documents.

Ta

Thanks Pedg. I have tried openoffice but still the same problem.

I have even tried opening them in wordpad but it's still the same. I have a gut feeling that I will need to buy the latest MS office version to solve this, which is just crazy.

Before you do that, I would suggest that you send them to someone who has the software. My money is on file corruption.

Before you do that, I would suggest that you send them to someone who has the software. My money is on file corruption.

Thanks Pap. I will ask around.

What causes file corruption and is there a way to correct it?

Update - I have found a back up, it's a ew months old but better than nothing. The files open on the back up floppy on a very old laptop that i have but not on the newer laptop. The new laptop doesn't have ms office at all, it uses openoffice.