Alternative to Sky

hamster

Due to pending move we cancelled our Sky subscription yesterday, apparently we stop receiving in 31 days.

Currently get all Sky channels but had a think about it and the ones I will miss miss most are:

Sky Sports 1,2,3 and 4 (I know I'll have to get used to not having these but would like to keep SkySports news)

Discovery Shed

The channel with Buffy

All terrestrial (1,2,3,4, and 5)

Home

Discovery RT

Sky News (for when something big happens)

Discovery Science

Discovery

MUST HAVE some kind of recording device to avoid too many fights over the remote.

Bear in mind that we want to be able to unplug it all and take it with us when we go.

Please advise?

PS

Do not need nor want 3D, I can't make out HD with my bad eye so waste of money.

Price is number one priority.

Cheers.

Im also moving soon, so have decided to cancel sky and look at the alternatives. Not sure if i should go for another bundle (phone, internet, tv) in one package or look about for good individual prices. Anyone got any experience with Virgin Media as i have only ever used Sky???

Im also moving soon, so have decided to cancel sky and look at the alternatives. Not sure if i should go for another bundle (phone, internet, tv) in one package or look about for good individual prices. Anyone got any experience with Virgin Media as i have only ever used Sky???
I like and hate virgin at the same timenever had a problem with their TV/Phone.however, their broadband can be a nightmare, you only have to look at the virgin media forums (30-50mb chat room) to see countless problems with it and the superhib they send you..and if you have a problem and you need to call them 9 times out of 10 you will be put through to a call centre in bangalore or mumbai...and most of the time they are utterly useless at helping you.

I've had Virgin TV, phone and broadband for years and not had too many problems.

When there has, they've been fixed pretty quickly and they've even phoned me afterwards to check that everything's OK.

I've got a V+ box which will store 80 hrs of SD programmes. It's got 3 tuners so you can be watching one programme while recording 2 others. They now do a Tivo box which is like a better version of V+, stores more and has programme search facilities.

As a new customer, you'll probably be able to negotiate a good deal.

Exceelent repleis, cheers.

What sort of costs are we talking for 1. initial box + channels and 2. broadband? Don't want a home phone although I understand I may have to pay a standing charge for the internet to access the property via.

I hear that Virgin (and others) have a scheme whereby the person referring you get's a bonus, when I get this sorted I'll give my details to the first one who wants to bag the bonus as a thank you.

Exceelent repleis, cheers.What sort of costs are we talking for 1. initial box + channels and 2. broadband? Don't want a home phone although I understand I may have to pay a standing charge for the internet to access the property via.I hear that Virgin (and others) have a scheme whereby the person referring you get's a bonus, when I get this sorted I'll give my details to the first one who wants to bag the bonus as a thank you.
depends on the deal you want...I was thinking of going with sky but the hassle of getting an engineer round to fit a dish etc was something I could not be arsed to wait for....so I upgraded my virgin services anyway....here is what I get...all the channels (including moves, sports/espn)HD package (not quite as many as sky but you get the sports and films in HD)V+ box - 80 hours of recording etc30MB broadband with wireless hub...brilliant when it works but for me can be hit and miss...area dependant..I would look into the Virgin media forums and see what work is going on in what area....I also get a phone line that is free evening and weekend calls to other lad lines....that costs me £85 per month.good points....no interference at all, TV is sharp and never ever have I had a problem...Broadband is the biggest headache...when it works its great..but the times it is down..nightmare....customer servicec...the single biggest annoyance...if you have a problem be prepared to speak to someone who can barely speak and understand english...they use indian call centres.. Edited by Thedelldays