Broadband problems

Thedelldays

yesterday I upgraded my BB from virgin...from 10mb to 30mb at the extra cost of £5 per month (seemed like a no brainer)however, for a brief time this morning (early) you could very much notice the difference and was getting around 28+mb on the speed test sites on a wireless connection with their super hubhowever, since about 10am and still now, my BB is horrifically slow and lucky to hit 1mb on the speed test sites....and not much better at all when I use a wired connection..anyone else having/had such snags..??cheers

Get on the phone to Bangalore mate.....that aint right

just a load of crap. their super hub is not good at all...

have pluged in the ethernet cable and getting better speeds. getting around 8-10mb (not 30 or even close at any point) and work is going on in my area (yeah right) for another 3 days.

was thinking about getting my own wireless router and using the super hub as a 'modem'

can you recommend and good, not massively expensive wireless modems...?

just a load of crap. their super hub is not good at all...

have pluged in the ethernet cable and getting better speeds. getting around 8-10mb (not 30 or even close at any point) and work is going on in my area (yeah right) for another 3 days.

was thinking about getting my own wireless router and using the super hub as a 'modem'

can you recommend and good, not massively expensive wireless modems...?

I don't know if you can use your own devices...yet.

When i was with them they'd locked it down so you could only use their device as the router/modem - but they were planning on rolling out an upgrade which allowed you to operate the notsosuperhub in bridged mode, enabling another router behind it etc.

Not sure if this has happened yet...as I left them because I was having the same issues as you. I've gone to ADSL, 7mb...but I get 7mb, always, and whatever time of the day.

I don't know if you can use your own devices...yet.

When i was with them they'd locked it down so you could only use their device as the router/modem - but they were planning on rolling out an upgrade which allowed you to operate the notsosuperhub in bridged mode, enabling another router behind it etc.

Not sure if this has happened yet...as I left them because I was having the same issues as you. I've gone to ADSL, 7mb...but I get 7mb, always, and whatever time of the day.

yes it has happened, the super hub can be turned into "modem" mode......just which modem to get as theirs have push poor wireless coverage

Cool - in that case..

Have a look at some of the netgear RangeMax wireless-n devices, I have one here (it's just a WAP, not a router) and it's fantastic - I get full 300mbps upstairs via wireless, and around 100-200mbps downstairs, and when i was with Virgin and it worked...I used to get full 50mbps internet connectivity as far as the patio.. It's not bad at all.

Cool - in that case..Have a look at some of the netgear RangeMax wireless-n devices, I have one here (it's just a WAP, not a router) and it's fantastic - I get full 300mbps upstairs via wireless, and around 100-200mbps downstairs, and when i was with Virgin and it worked...I used to get full 50mbps internet connectivity as far as the patio.. It's not bad at all.
just ordered a netgear range expander WAP thing on Ebaymy wireless service pishes me off... this morning (early) when connected with a cable I was getting just a fraction uner my 30Mb connection speed. as soon as I take the cable off, turn onmy wireless I was getting less than half that. seems too much is getting lost even whilst in the same room

Got a Virgin SuperHub a few weeks ago. I get some variation in speed but not as bad as yours. Ranges from about 15Mbps but usually around 25.

The hub is just below the lounge window and I get good reception up in the loft so no complaints there.

Just sold my old Linksys router on Ebay, but I did try it connected to the SuperHub and it worked OK.

Those that live in the SO 15,16,17,18 Areas will have a few probs with virgin as the 100Mb F/O upgrade is underway.

most of you who have trouble with wireless it is normally you`re own fault due to location of Router/Hub, ensure you are not near Pipes,Rads,Wires, Not on or near a large TV and defo not near any watertanks. Fishtanks are the main culprit. Water is like a sponge to WiFi.

Edited by sfc1971
?