iPhone 5 Launch

Essruu

I was wrong; it was 5 minutes.

Go on Apple guys - give Lumia a try....

Does it have an iPod built in? Will in automatically sync everything with my MacBook, MacMini and iPad? Free Cloud storage? Are the Apps I've paid for all available from a Windows App Store and useable with my saved data? Can I stream video, music, photos etc to my tv or AirPlay speakers?

If so, I might be tempted to have a look... but I fear Nokia have missed the boat.

Does it have an iPod built in? Will in automatically sync everything with my MacBook, MacMini and iPad? Free Cloud storage? Are the Apps I've paid for all available from a Windows App Store and useable with my saved data? Can I stream video, music, photos etc to my tv or AirPlay speakers?

If so, I might be tempted to have a look... but I fear Nokia have missed the boat.

So what you are really asking is "does it interact with all my other overpriced stuff from apple", and the answer is yes, which is hardly surprising as they want you to buy into the whole thing. (I discount that the iPad is bad value as IMO it is pretty good value, painful as it is for me to admit that)

Still, I'm looking at my Nokia N8 and can't find anything that it doesn't do that an iPhone can do (that are remotely useful)...and a few things it can that the iPhone can't (FM transmitter, far superior camera, HDMI output, support of many video codecs etc).

The Lumia 800 does look gorgeous, I want to have a play on one now!

@Suhari, have you got Belle already? If so where from? I'm not really interested in flashing my device, mind.

Edited by Saint_Jonny

Ess, appreciate you've only had it a couple of days, but how's yours doing on battery life?

Not as good as the 4, for sure, which is disappointing. Getting more use though and I'm sure too much Siri Lolage and too much going on in Notification Center doesn't help much! Still tinkering with things to test it properly and get the optimum battery life.

I see that Siri has now been ported to the iphone 4, so now no need for me to upgrade.

At the moment, just the gui, so you can't actually USE siri. Some hackers have managed to get siri connected to apples servers, so expect a "proper" working siri for iphone4 etc in the next week

Not as good as the 4, for sure, which is disappointing. Getting more use though and I'm sure too much Siri Lolage and too much going on in Notification Center doesn't help much! Still tinkering with things to test it properly and get the optimum battery life.

I've gone from 3GS to 4S, and been charging every day up until last weekend, though as with you I've been using it a lot more sussing things out. Switched off a load of stuff in NC and sending those Diagnostics/Usage reports, and only left essential Location Services, seems to have settled down a bit.

Went in to Apple Friday night to swap from Black to White, mentioned the battery life and they basically said that although it is a better battery than the 4, and certainly the 3GS, the better spec processor and new functions means it pretty much levels out with the 4, but should still be better than the 3GS, which mine wasn't at all. Currently charging every other day now, so it's slowly getting there.

I've gone from 3GS to 4S, and been charging every day up until last weekend, though as with you I've been using it a lot more sussing things out. Switched off a load of stuff in NC and sending those Diagnostics/Usage reports, and only left essential Location Services, seems to have settled down a bit.

Went in to Apple Friday night to swap from Black to White, mentioned the battery life and they basically said that although it is a better battery than the 4, and certainly the 3GS, the better spec processor and new functions means it pretty much levels out with the 4, but should still be better than the 3GS, which mine wasn't at all. Currently charging every other day now, so it's slowly getting there.

And on that note, battery glitch confirmed by Apple. Should be an iOS update in a few weeks to sort it. Goody good. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Go on then.....

No, you can't use your Apple apps and services on a WP7 OS.

Yes, you get free cloud stirage (25GB - rumoured to be extended to unlimited)

Do you get:

'Live Tiles' not boring app icons? - Excellent way to interact with the phone

The 'People Hub' - all your contacts from anywhere you log into in a single place, with status updates, feeds etc? (Inc. all email providers, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc). Can't imagine life without this now

Integration with XBox Live. You see and interact with you Avatar on the phone. Brill!

Out of the box integration with the MS Office suite, Office 365 and OneNote?

Cross platform (text, facebook chat etc) threaded conversations?

Free music downloads - streamed and stored on device (Nokia Music - really cool)

Free voice guided walk/drive sat nav, across 92 countries - which works without a sim?

iPhone is the daddy - rightly so, but the WP7 OS is great, and Nokia has really given it life with decent phones. And some of the stuff coming along later is just fantastic. In 2 years WP7 will have a bigger market share than Android.

So what you are really asking is "does it interact with all my other overpriced stuff from apple", and the answer is yes, which is hardly surprising as they want you to buy into the whole thing. (I discount that the iPad is bad value as IMO it is pretty good value, painful as it is for me to admit that)

Still, I'm looking at my Nokia N8 and can't find anything that it doesn't do that an iPhone can do (that are remotely useful)...and a few things it can that the iPhone can't (FM transmitter, far superior camera, HDMI output, support of many video codecs etc).

The Lumia 800 does look gorgeous, I want to have a play on one now!

@Suhari, have you got Belle already? If so where from? I'm not really interested in flashing my device, mind.

Yep. Been playing with various versions for a few months. Works nicely on an N8/E7. The missus uses a Nokia 700 (the first proper Belle phone). It will be on general release to existing Symbian devices from end of this year (ish). You'll have to upgrade to Anna first though.

Go on then.....

No, you can't use your Apple apps and services on a WP7 OS.

Yes, you get free cloud stirage (25GB - rumoured to be extended to unlimited)

Do you get:

'Live Tiles' not boring app icons? - Excellent way to interact with the phone

The 'People Hub' - all your contacts from anywhere you log into in a single place, with status updates, feeds etc? (Inc. all email providers, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc). Can't imagine life without this now

Integration with XBox Live. You see and interact with you Avatar on the phone. Brill!

Out of the box integration with the MS Office suite, Office 365 and OneNote?

Cross platform (text, facebook chat etc) threaded conversations?

Free music downloads - streamed and stored on device (Nokia Music - really cool)

Free voice guided walk/drive sat nav, across 92 countries - which works without a sim?

iPhone is the daddy - rightly so, but the WP7 OS is great, and Nokia has really given it life with decent phones. And some of the stuff coming along later is just fantastic. In 2 years WP7 will have a bigger market share than Android.

i love the design of the new nokias and seen great reviews of mango 7.5 but may wait for windows 8 on the next generation of nokia phones.

• 2 weeks later...