Squad for Cardiff

Matthew Le God

I bet it doesn't! Which pre-season games did you see to have that opinion?

How many friendlies against lower league opposition have I seen to get my hopes up over? None.

I was basing my oppinion more on the fact that 5 of those players weren't good enough to get beatten by Bristol Rovers 5 months ago. They are joined by a French teenager, a youngster who hardly set League 1 alight, a midfielder playing at LB, a 36 year old CB, another who has played all of 6 games in the last 4 years and Davis.

R Wright K Davis but fairly close

J Wright James

C Powell Svensson

c Perry Davies

A Surman Surman

Viafara Gillet

II Holmes

Safri Schneiderlin

Euell Dyer / Thomson

John John

Saganowski Lallana

Why is this years team going to get relegated?

Edited by NickG

How many friendlies against lower league opposition have I seen to get my hopes up over? None.

I was basing my oppinion more on the fact that 5 of those players weren't good enough to get beatten by Bristol Rovers 5 months ago. They are joined by a French teenager, a youngster who hardly set League 1 alight, a midfielder playing at LB, a 36 year old CB, another who has played all of 6 games in the last 4 years and Davis.

suppose you would have moaned about just a portuguse teenager if we had signed Ronaldo?

What's the problem with midfielder at LB worked for Benali, Bridge and Bale!

Look at the performance not bizarre negatives

suppose you would have moaned about just a portuguse teenager if we had signed Ronaldo?

What's the problem with midfielder at LB worked for Benali, Bridge and Bale!

Look at the performance not bizarre negatives

How many games did Bale play at LW for us?

Anway, I don't care what BB&B have done in the past, Surman is a different player and I think his strengths (i.e. passing and shooting) are far better suited to a midfield role. His weakness's I feel are tackling, pace and physical presence, all of which you need to be a decent full back.

If you also disagree with that, then fair enough. However is our new-found world-class left back really going to cover for the other inadequacies all over the pitch?

RE: Ronaldo. It seems Redknapp and myself at least agree on one issue. If you are good enough, you are old enough. Ronaldo was good enough, as were Rooney, Walcott, Bale etc. However 5 of the players in that line-up we're good enough to even make the bench for the large part of last season.

agree about age but you describe him, using a negative slant as just a french teenager.

think in this style of football Surmans strengths will still be utilised but am still unsure of the points you fairly raised about tackling/ presence.

however would say most of comments apart from pace apply equally Bale/Surman

agree about age but you describe him, using a negative slant as just a french teenager.

think in this style of football Surmans strengths will still be utilised but am still unsure of the points you fairly raised about tackling/ presence.

however would say most of comments apart from pace apply equally Bale/Surman

I think in this side, age is really going to hinder players like Schneiderlin. I am thinking Jelle Van Damme here. Like a fish up a tree. I don't mean to sound derogatory, but he has very little experience and none what-so-ever of English football. If he were in a team surrounded by quality players, with years of experience in this league, then he I would be more optimistic of him fitting in seamlessley. However he is likely to be in a midfielder with Gillett, Thomson, Dyer and Lallana. Who is he going to look to for help when the going gets tough?

I think our style of football suits Surman's strenghts, if he were in midfield. The trouble with being a fullback is that you have to deal with opposing teams styles too. What is going to happen when Surman comes up against someone like Dyer or Thomson with a bit of pace or trickery about them?

Bale did lack defensive ability, which was a factor in our poor defence in the playoff season. However Bale did have Skacel in front of him, who at least did a half decent job of covering for him when he went forwards. Looking at our new system, I am not entirely sure Surman will have someone infront of him at all, assuming the wide left man is playing just off the strikers, rather than as a traditional left midfielder.

That starting 11 would get steamrollered by most teams in this league. I have to say I think our squad looks dreadful.

The OS spin is just plain shameful at times. DMG and England prospect? The same DMG that has scored 1 LC goal in 2 years of scattered appearances?

I think your spin is shameful DMG could be an Under 21 Prospect

The team seems to compare well with

Bartosz Bialkowski

Chris Makin

Alexander Ostlund

Alan Bennett

Gregory Vignal

Jermaine Wright

Youssef Safri

Andrew Surman

Jhon Viafara

Marek Saganowski

Grzegorz Rasiak

Lost 4 1 last season in the First Match

Celtic, West Ham and Stoke are not lower league! and the team at times outplayed all of them

That french teenager is the French under 19 captain btw :)

Your opinion is null and void as you haven't seen this completely new side play in Jan's new style. Yes I know they are friendlies but they still give you an idea of the ability of the players and the style they will play.

Bart, Makin, Ostlund, Bennett, Wright, Viafara have all been improved upon.

Scneiderlin/Gillett combination hopefully could make up for loss of Safri

Rasiak / Saga can't get in the side.

Not saying we will be great but we have saved money and improved on last years under performing rubbish

Well by 4:45 we should have a feel for where we are as a team. One swallow won't make a summer and by the same token we shouldn't be too concerned at this stage if it ends in defeat although a big deficit could be damaging. Whatever happens in this first competitive fixture we will all have some facts to base our opinions on.