TXT message service - Your opinions

Baj

Prepaid TXT service, would you use it?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Prepaid TXT service, would you use it?

• Yes
    • No

We are contemplating launching a TXT alert service for Saints fans, with a slight difference.

Firstly, the service will be prepaid, you will purchase a bulk of messages first. We would like to do this to combat the reputation of other services that keep hitting you with messages and billing you.

Secondly, as users you will be able to choose the types of alert you want, whether you want all news and goals, just goals in the game, or even just HT and FT score.

We need quite a few interested to break even, so really we're putting a "feeler" out to see how many of you would be interested, based on the methods above.

Costs of text's would be (probably) 10p each.

If you are interested in the txt service, please choose "yes" on the poll, feel free to choose "no" if you're not interested.

Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't be interested.

I can surf the web on my mobile and if I want to know the kind of information these alerts would offer, I can access it essentially anywhere for a cost inclusive of my monthly phone bill.

I'm sure other people will think differently though, and full credit on the idea in the first place, a nice thought to keep us all informed.

Hmmm, not sure Baj, not really the type of thing I would usually use. Most people that would want this would probably have wap/html on their phone anyway, and check news/goals online. Juts IMHO.

One thing I would be interested in is an email when a new article is posted up on the main site, either with a link to said article or the text itself with a link to comments.

To be brutally honest, it's a crap idea.

If you're not at the game and you're that desperate for news/updates/scores/whatever, most people's mobiles have decent web browsing capability, plus, they can text a mate for cheaper (i.e. probably free included in their bundle) to get a score. Or, there is teletext, the radio etc etc etc.

Have to agree with the above. The age of text alerts is over now you have internet on the go from your mobile. You can see the scores on there for about 1p so would make no sense to pay 10p for every update. Say it was a high scoring game i.e 4-4 that would be like 80p just for the goals. These alerts are just cons really as 99% of phones now have internet. But i think it is good you guys are looking into other areas to keep people informed of things.

Thanks for the feedback so far, this is exactly the reason for running this poll. We would make very little money from it and really wouldnt bother unless enough fans wanted it.

A little concerned about your comment on making money from it. Didn't think that was what this site was about. Hope you mean making money to cover costs and not profit.

A little concerned about your comment on making money from it. Didn't think that was what this site was about. Hope you mean making money to cover costs and not profit.

Absolutely. Baj hasn't done a particularly good job of phrasing that. It would only be to cover the costs of running this forum.

At 10p cost I wouldn't be interested. Great idea if it ever gets cheaper than that though! If you could text a number when you wanted to know the score this might be a bit more of an interest to me.

TXT message service - Your opinions

Baj in breaking forum rules shocker!

DO NOT write in "text speak". We are fortunate that the Internet is not like text messaging, in that it allows an unlimited number of letters, numbers and special characters to be printed. Please write in plain English.

;)

P.s. For what it's worth I probably wouldn't use it myself, simply for the reason most people have highlighted above.

To be brutally honest, it's a crap idea.

If you're not at the game and you're that desperate for news/updates/scores/whatever, most people's mobiles have decent web browsing capability, plus, they can text a mate for cheaper (i.e. probably free included in their bundle) to get a score. Or, there is teletext, the radio etc etc etc.

With the greatest of respect, PB, it's not a "crap" idea if every club offers the service already. If anything it's "pointless" if there's not enough take-up, hence the poll.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

To answer some of the questions: 10p a text is because of the low numbers that would sign up, it could be lower, it could be higher, but it would only cover costs. If you're not sending that many texts it's hard to find a decent spend. The lowest I can find is 6p a text and that's sending thousands and thousands a week, which we obviously wouldnt do.

You're all right of course, I wouldnt bother using the service either as I have internet on my mobile... but being a bit of a "geek" I wasn't sure how many other people do what I do, so was only one way to find out really.

Cheers all, now I know not to waste my time :)