Do we REALLY need Rupert Lowe any more?

eelpie

rubbish. when I first went and stood in the chocolate boxes I didn't know nor care who was in the boardroom, I still go to watch the 11 in red and white. If you don't fancy it, can't afford it, find the football too depressing, only like premiership -fair enough but don't pretend it is because of someone sat in the stands - who was there when we sold out in premiership and went to FA cup final

I think that was probably the case back in the day. But then again, if you were happy with how the club was being run back then, I don't suppose you would know who the board were.

These days there are a few chairman who like to be high profile. There are a few who think they know more about the game than their many managers. These are the ones who polarise opinion, and 'die by the sword' when things go tits up.

Yes he is, he gets paid for 2 days a week. It's public knowledge, said so himself. Said it was "all we can afford".

Mike Wilde gets nothing, expenses from Jersey from time to time perhaps.

As he's only allowed what 75 days a year in the UK he probably turns up about once every 2 weeks.

Unless the rules have changed it is 90 days. Has to stay overnight which counts as one day. If he flies in, in the morning at 0730 and flies back 12 hours later it doesn't count.

IMO your talking absolute kak!!!

How many supporters were at the last game of every season over the last 15 years?

I suggest its been near enough sell out year on year no matter who is on the pitch, stands or dug out.

Lowe was also about during our most successful spell since we won the FA cup and the gates were huge. I agree that not many people liked him even then cause he was still a pompus kock but it didnt stop people buying a ticket and going to matches.

The argument about Lowe has been the same for years but until someone buys him out anything we do will just damage our club further.

The club is for sale but its not an attractive thing to buy at the moment. Someone with money will look and think we are a CCC club that are in danger of going further down with a small fan base that have no patience. Looking at Newcastle they are a Prem club with a huge fan base that will respond to anything positive.

get used to Lowe being here and try to at least support the club in the mean time.

I think you're wrong. Indeed... talking more kak.

Those who quote WGSs success in getting us to an FA cup final forget he left soon after because of Lowe's failure to support him.

Draw a simple graph of Saints success over Lowe's involvement at the Club and methinks it contains a red line that continually falls away, base it on League position - afterall the league table never lies.

Southampton IS an attractive investment and IS worth buying. Why? Because we actually have the biggested fan base in the South of England. One I admit that is being slightly eroded once more as the youth shy away elsewhere as we continue to fall under Lowe. Fans are staying away because Lowe's plan is failing. C3PO and the kids are simply not good enough.

This club has the infrastructure. It has the city - a VERY important city to the UK. A city that is the centre of trade for this Island nation... thus a sound place for any wealthy investor who wishes to enter the gateway of the UK for further spoils should consider starting... (and you can park you yacht here! :) ) But seriously, if you can't sell this Club - and I believe with the fans, infrastructure and city factor it is the biggest in this league and arguably one of the biggest potentially in the Premiership. Our city rocks!

This is why I think a consortium of fans, Greats and Southampton City Council members needs to be put together under a banner - being used by Newcastle and Pompey at the moment. An honest statement that reads - THIS CLUB IS FOR SALE...

Sleeping giant is Southampton FC , failing business minnow is Southampton Leisure Holdings Youth team plc.

Lowe was also about during our most successful spell since we won the FA cup and the gates were huge.

That's just not true. The 10 years following our cup win, we acheived League Placings, results, and star signings Lowe could only dream of. Had The Dell been able to fit 40,000 Lawrie wouls have filled it most weeks. The Club was more sucsessful, produced better youth players and played the nearest we'll ever get to "total football" long before Lowe put his snout in the trough........

I think you're wrong. Indeed... talking more kak.

Those who quote WGSs success in getting us to an FA cup final forget he left soon after because of Lowe's failure to support him.

Draw a simple graph of Saints success over Lowe's involvement at the Club and methinks it contains a red line that continually falls away, base it on League position - afterall the league table never lies.

Southampton IS an attractive investment and IS worth buying. Why? Because we actually have the biggested fan base in the South of England. One I admit that is being slightly eroded once more as the youth shy away elsewhere as we continue to fall under Lowe. Fans are staying away because Lowe's plan is failing. C3PO and the kids are simply not good enough.

This club has the infrastructure. It has the city - a VERY important city to the UK. A city that is the centre of trade for this Island nation... thus a sound place for any wealthy investor who wishes to enter the gateway of the UK for further spoils should consider starting... (and you can park you yacht here! :) ) But seriously, if you can't sell this Club - and I believe with the fans, infrastructure and city factor it is the biggest in this league and arguably one of the biggest potentially in the Premiership. Our city rocks!

This is why I think a consortium of fans, Greats and Southampton City Council members needs to be put together under a banner - being used by Newcastle and Pompey at the moment. An honest statement that reads - THIS CLUB IS FOR SALE...

Sleeping giant is Southampton FC , failing business minnow is Southampton Leisure Holdings Youth team plc.

Its well documented as to why WGS left by the man himself. Adamantly Anti Lowe people choose to suggest it was all very sinister and they continue to believe it. Personally I think there may have been more too it but WGS has stated as fact it was nothing to do with Lowe so how can i call him a lier?

During Lowes tenure the Saints have reached there highest league position in the prem, moved to a 32,000 seater stadium (not much use right now) and reached the FA cup final. All 3 are very much positive things that have happened yet Anti Lowe posters choose to believe we have done nothing but go down hill.

I am kind of with you on the club being attractive but as a supporter I do favouratise the good in the club and can see why I think everyone should be a part of it. unfortunatly it will take allot of money and work to get the positives out of the club. Just getting to the prem is not good enough and as such perspective buyers would be looking at the chances of buying us and getting us into europe positions year on year to get the most out of their investment. On that basis we are not as attractive due to the ammount of work that is needed to be done. 20 million investment into the team wouldnt gaurentee prem football let alone european football.

the kind of investor you are talking about buying the club would be someone that is more interested in what else he/she can get out of southampton rather than an interest in the team so it would be debateable if there interest in us would be long term.

As for the youth team we have right now there is not much we can do about it as there are not the funds available to change it. I think some mistakes have been made in not bringing in players for the right positions but I put that down to the manager thinking we need to be stregnthened in other areas 1st.

The only option I think we have at the moment is to support the team and hope that this policy works well enough to put us in a position where we are an attractive proposition to a wider audeince. We are too close to administration and beyond for anyone serious to come in and stump up the cash. clear some of the debt and finish in a respectable position and we will look a whole lot different.

That's just not true. The 10 years following our cup win, we acheived League Placings, results, and star signings Lowe could only dream of. Had The Dell been able to fit 40,000 Lawrie wouls have filled it most weeks. The Club was more sucsessful, produced better youth players and played the nearest we'll ever get to "total football" long before Lowe put his snout in the trough........

Its difficult to compare the 2 as things were very different back then and I agree that if we had the stadium then we would have filled it. so why didnt we get the stadium to suit?

For as long as I can remember we have struggled and the FA cup win we were the underdogs but comparing our good times from back then to the last 4 years then I can see your point but the years preceeding that I still think our times were better than the past due to the competition being so much stronger. We have made massive achievments while under Lowe but even bigger mistakes and failings.

Still to the point I think if Lowe was gone now without a serious money man buying him and the others out we would be in a slightly worst position but I would be more worried about administration.

Its difficult to compare the 2 as things were very different back then and I agree that if we had the stadium then we would have filled it. so why didnt we get the stadium to suit?

For as long as I can remember we have struggled and the FA cup win we were the underdogs but comparing our good times from back then to the last 4 years then I can see your point but the years preceeding that I still think our times were better than the past due to the competition being so much stronger. We have made massive achievments while under Lowe but even bigger mistakes and failings.

Still to the point I think if Lowe was gone now without a serious money man buying him and the others out we would be in a slightly worst position but I would be more worried about administration.

Whilst not agreeing with you, I respect your views and the way you've put them over. If everybody on either side of the Lowe debate argued their case in similar vein then things would not get so heated. The problem is Lowe seems to bring out the extremes in everyone, myself included. The fanbase will never be united with him at the Club, or even as a shareholder. To move forward as a Club, we need a clean break from him, Wilde and Crouch. My opinion is that had Crouch remained in charge, that clean break would have been nearer than it is now..

Whilst not agreeing with you, I respect your views and the way you've put them over. If everybody on either side of the Lowe debate argued their case in similar vein then things would not get so heated. The problem is Lowe seems to bring out the extremes in everyone, myself included. The fanbase will never be united with him at the Club, or even as a shareholder. To move forward as a Club, we need a clean break from him, Wilde and Crouch. My opinion is that had Crouch remained in charge, that clean break would have been nearer than it is now..

I agree with everything except the last bit but maybe just more resigned to getting on with things as they are in the mean time. I dont like it but cant see an alternative that would sort the mess out.

Im not sure why but I just cant see Crouch making the cuts and changes needed to cope with the situation with no investment but I can see him being a bit more pro-active in trying to secure it.

He is still a shareholder however so there is no reason why he cant continue to try and secure it. He would have the same hurdles had he still been the man at the top being that Wilde and Lowe would have to agree to any suggestions.

Its well documented as to why WGS left by the man himself. Adamantly Anti Lowe people choose to suggest it was all very sinister and they continue to believe it. Personally I think there may have been more too it but WGS has stated as fact it was nothing to do with Lowe so how can i call him a lier?

During Lowes tenure the Saints have reached there highest league position in the prem, moved to a 32,000 seater stadium (not much use right now) and reached the FA cup final. All 3 are very much positive things that have happened yet Anti Lowe posters choose to believe we have done nothing but go down hill.

I am kind of with you on the club being attractive but as a supporter I do favouratise the good in the club and can see why I think everyone should be a part of it. unfortunatly it will take allot of money and work to get the positives out of the club. Just getting to the prem is not good enough and as such perspective buyers would be looking at the chances of buying us and getting us into europe positions year on year to get the most out of their investment. On that basis we are not as attractive due to the ammount of work that is needed to be done. 20 million investment into the team wouldnt gaurentee prem football let alone european football.

the kind of investor you are talking about buying the club would be someone that is more interested in what else he/she can get out of southampton rather than an interest in the team so it would be debateable if there interest in us would be long term.

As for the youth team we have right now there is not much we can do about it as there are not the funds available to change it. I think some mistakes have been made in not bringing in players for the right positions but I put that down to the manager thinking we need to be stregnthened in other areas 1st.

The only option I think we have at the moment is to support the team and hope that this policy works well enough to put us in a position where we are an attractive proposition to a wider audeince. We are too close to administration and beyond for anyone serious to come in and stump up the cash. clear some of the debt and finish in a respectable position and we will look a whole lot different.

You have a good point or two to make here but I am bored of reading comments from the few on here highlighted in bold above. It's like listening to a Jewish holocaust denier. Lowe has been involved as Chairman or Boardmember in the decline of Saints since he arrived. Just plot the bloody league position graph and draw an average line. GOING DOWN.

However, you are right to say that all we can do is keep supporting the team - a la Illingsworth - but I'm afraid I can no longer sit on my arse and watch Lowe continue the embarrassing slide. I offer one contructive idea - that fans, City Councillors, Wilde and MLT and other Greats get off their arses and SELL this club before Lowe kills us for good. **** me it has to be better than doing nothing and hoping! I completely disagree with the roll over and die negative do nothing punch drunk fan approach - always have. Its pointless having the bigggest fan base in the South and rolling over like puppies. Let's do something. Lets SELL THIS CLUB.

If not, if anyone wants me to protest with them let me know. Banners, Airads, demonstrations against Wilde and Lowe please count in a 40 year old family man with you children.... Mr Average Saints fan (unwilling to roll over for Lowe's final destruction of something so dear to every reader of this and the City of Southampton. Saints = pride).