Do we REALLY need Rupert Lowe any more?

eelpie

I have always wondered what a chairman/ceo of a football club actually does day to day.

We trade about once a fortnight for 9 months, have department heads for the football, and commercial side of the business.

Turnover is , what £6/7m now, we just seen top heavy imo it is not a full time job

I'd hope the turnover is at least 14 million, otherwise we are maxi-browned.

A chairman of a football club does what any other CEO does, conducts the orchestra and bangs heads together when the melody goes out of sync or out of tune.

Cant see why we need him now?

He knows nothing about football,probably more than many in role due to time in game and fa links

He interfers with the team,source?

He devides the fanbase,agree, but fans go to watch team not directors box

Hes a walking PR disaster,totally agree

He is only now doing what any accountant would be doing in the same curcumstances.??

So go Lowe now.

and be replaced by....

It is utter ,utter nonsense to suggest fans are boycotting because of Lowe. Its the general poor results and lower expectations that are keeping the fair weather fans away.

Some may use it as an excuse to stay away but if we were top of the league and regularly winning games many would return.

Im not so certain those who use the excuse , that while lowe is still at the club they will boycott St Mary's

Yeah sure , there are some who who are staying away for that reason but it is a small minority.

I think many fans go to games because the team are doing well but now stay away as we are seen as no hopers, (The plastic Fan).

There are other groups as well, I get to games when I can, but because of sky changing games to suit their TV needs. I do not bother with a season ticket now which I have had for a number of years for these very reasons.

Also the cost of air fares to get the game are extortionate.

I also have a confession as to who I am. I was formerly known as Orkney Saint and still live here. So getting to a game is costing between £300 and £400 quid a time.

The local airline is being taken over by FLYBE in a couple of weeks and I have gone on line to book some flights. Using my Air Discount card (You get upto 50% off your ticket being an islander. I find FLYBE are charging even more than BA to get down to Heathrow or Southampton

So basic there are myriad of reasons for not going to games mines sky and the cost of air tickets

It is utter ,utter nonsense to suggest fans are boycotting because of Lowe. Its the general poor results and lower expectations that are keeping the fair weather fans away.

Some may use it as an excuse to stay away but if we were top of the league and regularly winning games many would return.

100% correct

I'd hope the turnover is at least 14 million, otherwise we are maxi-browned.

A chairman of a football club does what any other CEO does, conducts the orchestra and bangs heads together when the melody goes out of sync or out of tune.

yes but ordinary businesses trade and have dealings with their customers every day, and whose heads does rupert bang together.

Your statement adds to my thoughts that he has always stuck his nose into areas he is no expert in

To be honest I have far more confidence in the future of Saints since Lowe returned and I suspect that the banks have a similar view. I also have a lot more confidence in JP who I find inspirational rather than just an enthusiastic manager like NP. So all in all I'm happy. I don't subscribe to the theory that Lowe is picking the team or keeping the fans away. I am just focused on enjoying the football which will, when it gets a bit more consistent, attract the fans back.

We Did Not need him back in the first place , I honestly believe if Crouch & Co had been left in place we would have been taken over long before now , Pearson would still be in charge,( Not that I have anything against JP) , We would have a better balanced team and probably in the top half of the League. Rupert Lowe you are just a egotistical ****,

Thanks for nothing,Again!!

What basis have you for this belief apart from prejudice?

Anyone on the board who doesnt split the fanbase.

It doesnt take a genius to do what Lowe is doing,in fact if someone else did it and left the head coach/manager to get on with their job,then things may be a lot better[/b].

Please provide evidence for his interference, if not stop posting your anti-Lowe bile.

That first sentence is ignorant poppy**** spoken by someone I suspect lives a long way from Southampton and does not mix with the fans on a day to day basis.

I personally know about 40-50 principled supporterswho are boycotting because of Lowe. I don't agree with them but I respect their right to do so.

That first sentence is ignorant poppy**** spoken by someone I suspect lives a long way from Southampton and does not mix with the fans on a day to day basis.

I personally know about 40-50 principled supporterswho are boycotting because of Lowe. I don't agree with them but I respect their right to do so.

If you see a fan in a "Saint go Wilde" T-shirt that's Mangey.

Whether or not you know of these 40-50 supporters who are staying away I suspect it's to do with the footy on offer and most will not return if Lowe left tomorrow.

Please provide evidence for his interference, if not stop posting your anti-Lowe bile.

So Lowe didnt have a hand in Delgardo?

He didnt bring in SCW who changed how the team trained?

If you read the previous forum before this one,it was a long running thread on there on how Lowe interfered with the team and wanted his way.I probably could look it up somewhere,but cant be that bothered on a Friday night.

At one point,some even thought Rupert might even line himself up for the managers job.

As for posting anti Lowe bile,i would rather do that than be a luvie like you.

Maybe the question should be, if Lowe goes who will step in to run the club? Again and again people cry for the head of Lowe, well ok that's fair enough to feel that way but please give me an alternative at the moment because I can't see a huge queue of people waiting to take over. Maybe he deserves a little credit for doing a job that noone else is willing to do at the moment. If you happen to think that he is only in it for the money then ask yourself how is he going to acheive that by making the club less successful? It's a self defeating argument isn't it?

I'll play amateur psychiatrist and hazzard a couple of guesses as to why Lowe and indeed Wilde battle it out when the flack they get from all quarters would have had most people kissing the whole thing goodbye at the earliest opportunity. IMO when people talk about Lowe being in it for the money, I prefer to think in terms of the money invested in his shares rather than what he earns for his two days a week. Neither Lowe nor Wilde are that wealthy that they can just shrug their shoulders at the financial losses they would make if the club went into administration, so that is good enough reason for them both to make an attempt to keep the club afloat until such times as it can hopefully be sold at a price that rewards them for holding out. In the meantime, it is not costing them money to keep treading water as neither of them is putting in one penny more into the club.

But again it is my opinion that when Lowe left in ignominy, his ego and reputation amongst his contempories in the business world he used to inhabit and whose respect he would like to earn, took a nose dive. I believe that almost as much as the desire to protect his shares, his motivation was to restore his tarnished reputation he had in the City as an achiever, an innovator, a high flyer. Unfortunately, football is not like most other businesses and even after a decade of involvement, there are several areas of it that I think he does not fully understand. I still feel that there were other sensible courses open to him, but he had to go down the route of the massive gamble, coming straight out of left field, hoping against hope that if the experiment came up trumps, it would be all the more spectacular and his reputation would be enhanced and restored as somebody capable of achieving success through thinking outside the box.

Provided that we don't go into administration, he can carry on with the experiment, just keeping the club ticking over, hoping that the players will grow and develop into a team that might eventually gain us promotion. But it won't happen, because we will have to sell any of the decent players to pay the bills. But Lowe and the Quisling can still harbour some hopes that eventually somebody will try and buy the club and provided they get something half decent for their shares, they can leave with some dignity.

It was obvious to many of us in the summer that his experiment would fail, that gates would fall, that he would divide the club, that failure would lead to falling share prices, that simply having him back destroys any confidence in the club, plc, team and fans.

Now - Lowe does have to go. No doubts at all. In fact, he should NEVER have been allowed to return by Wilde in the first place.

We do not need Wilde either or any of the parasitic boardmembers who have lead this plc before club any longer.

However, to remove them we need a takeover (not investment - a takeover).

So, how do we do that? WE SELL THIS CLUB.

How do we sell this club?

1. Make it difficult for Wilde and Lowe to want to stay.

2. Assemble a consortium of greats, respected fans and Wilde along with members of Southampton City Council / local MPs.

3. The Sales consortium do what Newcastle and Pompey have just done and tell the world we're for sale and a sleeping giant.

4. We take the first decent offer we get - SISU in retrospect wouldve done to tide us over for a bit - mark my words Coventry, SISU and Coleman will be knocking on playoffs door this season or next whilst we fal.

5. We get a new manager - rule number 1 of running a football club - get the best manager you can and support him... we have Lowe's robot - who even looks like C3PO FFS!

6. We get optimism again.

7. We return.

Been typing since the summer and not changed my mind in the slightest.

I think this thread is ample proof (should it be needed) that Lowe divides the fanbase. Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant. It has happened.

The only solution is Lowe to leave.

Although I still go and support the Saints I can't bear the thought that should we be successful it will be him who will want to take the credit and it is that which the stay away fans can't stomach.

This will not be pleasant reading to the Manjis and the NickGs but they have to admit right or wrong, their messiah, Rupert Lowe is a divisive presence.

It was obvious to many of us in the summer that his experiment would fail, that gates would fall, that he would divide the club, that failure would lead to falling share prices, that simply having him back destroys any confidence in the club, plc, team and fans.

Now - Lowe does have to go. No doubts at all. In fact, he should NEVER have been allowed to return by Wilde in the first place.

We do not need Wilde either or any of the parasitic boardmembers who have lead this plc before club any longer.

2. Assemble a consortium of greats, respected fans and Wilde along with members of Southampton City Council / local MPs.

3. The Sales consortium do what Newcastle and Pompey have just done and tell the world we're for sale and a sleeping giant.

4. We take the first decent offer we get - SISU in retrospect wouldve done to tide us over for a bit - mark my words Coventry, SISU and Coleman will be knocking on playoffs door this season or next whilst we fal.

5. We get a new manager - rule number 1 of running a football club - get the best manager you can and support him... we have Lowe's robot - who even looks like C3PO FFS!

7. We return.

What experiment would that be, that the bank said we had to cut back on everything possible to save money or do you know of another experiment that I have missed. Remember if Crouch or any other person without funding was running the club under the same circumstances we would be in the same situation as Lowe and co.

Cant see why we need him now?

He knows nothing about football,

He interfers with the team,

He devides the fanbase,

Hes a walking PR disaster,

He is only now doing what any accountant would be doing in the same curcumstances.

So go Lowe now.

He seemed to know more about goalkeepers than WGS!

He gave WGS a job when his stock was low, turned out to be a good call.

How do you know that he interferes with the team?

The only people that divide the fan base is the fan base. Have you not noticed? The fan base are ALWAYS divided about something or someone.

he had his moments but would anyone know he was back up the club now? Talk about keeping a low profile..

He is doing a job that if he was not here someone else would have to do, with the same constraints, so why go?

At least he knows the club, who is to say someone esle will do any better?

I think this thread is ample proof (should it be needed) that Lowe divides the fanbase. Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant. It has happened.

The only solution is Lowe to leave.

Although I still go and support the Saints I can't bear the thought that should we be successful it will be him who will want to take the credit and it is that which the stay away fans can't stomach.

This will not be pleasant reading to the Manjis and the NickGs but they have to admit right or wrong, their messiah, Rupert Lowe is a divisive presence.

If everybody left who ever devided the fan base the club would have collapsed years ago!

So Lowe didnt have a hand in Delgardo? Chairman in being involved with transfers shocker

He didnt bring in SCW who changed how the team trained? A proven sports coach and world cup winner to show for his achievements

If you read the previous forum before this one,it was a long running thread on there on how Lowe interfered with the team and wanted his way.I probably could look it up somewhere,but cant be that bothered on a Friday night. It was a thread without substance just talk

At one point,some even thought Rupert might even line himself up for the managers job. Exactly, some THOUGHT this but again nothing was proved, just messageboard rumour

As for posting anti Lowe bile,i would rather do that than be a luvie like you. Never been a Lowe luvvie and would like him to leave along with all the other cronies but until we get new owners he is probably the best of the worst

As answered above.

What experiment would that be, that the bank said we had to cut back on everything possible to save money or do you know of another experiment that I have missed. Remember if Crouch or any other person without funding was running the club under the same circumstances we would be in the same situation as Lowe and co.

But didnt Crouch have the backing of the banks for this season?

Though i agree with you that Crouch would have had to make cuts along the lines of Lowe.

But this also adds weight to my point that Lowe isnt the only person who can do what hes doing now.

Anyone on the board who doesnt split the fanbase.

It doesnt take a genius to do what Lowe is doing,in fact if someone else did it and left the head coach/manager to get on with their job,then things may be a lot better.

yeah of course like Wilde did well at it and Crouch did well at it and everything became rosey just because Lowe wasnt around!!!

I said before I am all for Lowe being gone and would like to add Wilde and Crouch and any of the current main shareholders. I appreciate there efforts over the years but would love for someone else to come in and have a go.

Problem is who is going to replace them? Just someone from the board and we will be going in the same direction fast. Someone else and they need to bring some money with them.

So like it or lump it we are stuck with things the way they are and can only hope the board and team get things right enough to improve the whole situation.

As answered above.

Ah come on surely SCW being a proven coach in Rugby cant have any bearing on playing footy in the Championship?

All i remember SCW for was taking a lot of money out of the club and being responsible for building a white dome at Staplewood.

Wow!

Or did his being here suddenly turn our team into a Premiership winning football club?

So Lowe didnt have a hand in Delgardo?Lowe also had a hand in Crouch (so to speak)

He didnt bring in SCW who changed how the team trained? WGS did the same

If you read the previous forum before this one,it was a long running thread on there on how Lowe interfered with the team and wanted his way.I probably could look it up somewhere,but cant be that bothered on a Friday night. Totally Anti Lowe people have said many things that cant be backed up and many of them have been debated to death so you could bring some of those up while your at it

At one point,some even thought Rupert might even line himself up for the managers job. Again this is something that someone thought, not what was a fact or something suggested by the club

As for posting anti Lowe bile,i would rather do that than be a luvie like you.I know this post wasnt directed at me so wont take that personally but wanting Lowe and Co out of the door and talking absolute kak most of the time are 2 different things

on the last point there are a few utter nutters that support Lowe like he created the world and there are also a few of the same that are in the complete oposite camp. there are many inbetween that try to look at things objectivly. Lowe IMO is not the monster that some make out but he is far from being the great one and could do with finding a replacement rather than trying to prove he was right all along.

yeah of course like Wilde did well at it and Crouch did well at it and everything became rosey just because Lowe wasnt around!!!

I said before I am all for Lowe being gone and would like to add Wilde and Crouch and any of the current main shareholders. I appreciate there efforts over the years but would love for someone else to come in and have a go.

Problem is who is going to replace them? Just someone from the board and we will be going in the same direction fast. Someone else and they need to bring some money with them.

So like it or lump it we are stuck with things the way they are and can only hope the board and team get things right enough to improve the whole situation.

I understand what you are saying,but im sorry i cant agree with you that theres no one else to do Lowes job.

Surely hes the worst choice with his history?

Again i will ask the question "What has Lowe done that an accountant wouldnt have done?"

But didnt Crouch have the backing of the banks for this season?

Though i agree with you that Crouch would have had to make cuts along the lines of Lowe.

But this also adds weight to my point that Lowe isnt the only person who can do what hes doing now.

Crouch had the backing just like Lowe has the backing. Maybe the bank preferred Lowe at the helm as opposed to Crouch, I don't know if this is the case just speculation on my part but I am sure the bank would have had some say in whats going on.

Ah come on surely SCW being a proven coach in Rugby cant have any bearing on playing footy in the Championship?

All i remember SCW for was taking a lot of money out of the club and being responsible for building a white dome at Staplewood.

Wow!

Or did his being here suddenly turn our team into a Premiership winning football club?

Was he brought in because of his skills in Rugby though? And thinking about it he employed coaches to coach the rugby and he managed the team from a nice little room with a view so had he got anywhere near our 1st team it would have still been from a distance.

As radical as it may have been I think he could do a job in football but could never see him as a touchline manager.

This IMO is the biggest flaw with lowe. He fell out with the press so much that anything he tried to do was swamped in the papers and made to be a laughing stock. he brought so much bad press it made us look stupid. Had the wigan chairman brought in SCW with a view to using his skills and building a managment team around him the press would have looked at it differently and given him allot more backing.

Wow!

Didn't they have something similar at Bolton under big Sam? Didn't do too bad did they with several top ten finishes.

I understand what you are saying,but im sorry i cant agree with you that theres no one else to do Lowes job.

Surely hes the worst choice with his history?

Again i will ask the question "What has Lowe done that an accountant wouldnt have done?"

In fairness Lowe is doing what an Administrator would be doing but maybe trying to hold out for better prices where an administrator would sell for anything so you do have a point.

but Wilde had a go then left things to the other muppets who then got booted out for Crouch to have a go who spent any remaining cash we had for wilde and lowe to come back and have another go.

maybe Lowe is not the best public face and wildes face is not exactly too welcome either but with them and crouch being the major shareholders they are our only feasable choices.

When lowe was originally being ousted I thought the best situation would be for all 3 to put there heads together and work as a team as we would have the experience in lowe passion in crouch and wilde must bring something to the table i just dont know what. this IMO at the time would have given us new direction and a sound platform to bounce back. the swapping and changing has been farsicle and helped at no time in trying to get us back up to where we belong.

Didn't they have something similar at Bolton under big Sam? Didn't do too bad did they with several top ten finishes.

It goes to show that with the right manager the sports science can be a benifit. Bolton had many aging players doing well beyond there years which must have kept there over all spend down in todays massivly over inflated transfer fee's and wages.

we had the main man for the sports science approach and bagpuss.

all of a sudden the flaw becomes clear lol

Wow!

He wasn't allowed anywhere near the first team, which given the postion we were in, you would have though that @Arry could have done with some advice from a "winner".

Like him or not, he was never given a chance to show what he could do at SFC.

He wasn't allowed anywhere near the first team, which given the postion we were in, you would have though that @Arry could have done with some advice from a "winner".

Dont you think the same could have been said about Sturrock?

Dont you think the same could have been said about Sturrock?

Good point TBH but even recently Sturrock said that he left for his own reasons rather than being forced out. you would think after all that time he may have dropped 1 or 2 hints as to why he left but still sticking to what he said back then.

I would have liked to see him get more of a shot but yet again the press hounded him as he wasnt deemed to be a prem manager. Had a different chairman at another team given him the chance Im sure he would have had better support. his results were better than WGS's in the same amount of games.

7. We return.

To be fair the gates would have fallen anyway. The Club's share price have dropped ever since we did not make the PL under Burley.

And after last season I didnt have much confidence in the team either.

Thats a lot to attribute to one person.

Thank you NickH for probably the most relevant and important point on the whole Lowe issue. Does Lowe need to leave or do fans who have been happy to support the club under his previous leadership but have deserted us now simply need to change their own attitudes. As for the plastics well all clubs have them and no doubt they will return the club to full capacity and pretend to the rest of us what loyal supporters they are.

An excellent point and as usual the stay away anti-lowe types will not respond with an intelligent counter argument as to any true supporter there isn't an argument worthy of consideration.

Before he got caught, people used to respect / idolise Gary Glitter. Look at him now.

I guess people are judged on their actions, and people's opinions change in response to those actions....

This business about Lowe keeping crowds away is a load of old tosh. If we were top of the league, we'd have £25k+ crowds, no problem. Lowe is just a convenient excuse not to go to the game.

How many supporters were there at St Mary's at the last game last season?

How many currently attending matches?

How can you suggest that Rupert Lowe's takeover of the club (and his subsequent actions) have had nothing to do with such a phenomenal decline in support - the most dramatic decline in the Championship?

This business about Lowe keeping crowds away is a load of old tosh. If we were top of the league, we'd have £25k+ crowds, no problem. Lowe is just a convenient excuse not to go to the game.

Why exactly would people need an "excuse" not to go to games? You've lost me there.

Oh and how surprising that people would return in their thousands if we were doing well! Blinding insight mate. Of course fans of other clubs always go in greater numbers when they are doing shxte don't they?

rubbish. when I first went and stood in the chocolate boxes I didn't know nor care who was in the boardroom, I still go to watch the 11 in red and white. If you don't fancy it, can't afford it, find the football too depressing, only like premiership -fair enough but don't pretend it is because of someone sat in the stands - who was there when we sold out in premiership and went to FA cup final

I live a 10 min car drive from the city centre and regularly attend games. Sorry.

For someone who doesn't go to matches and lives away from the area you sure as hell seem to know a lot about the day to day operation of the club. Or do you make it up to suit your pro-Lowe agenda?

If he is:-

the reason why many supporters are not attending matches,

interfering with team selection,

and duplicating Michael Wilde's role in applying stringent economies,

WHY do we need him?

Cowen or Askham could fulfil his role as SLH chairman, and negotiate with Barclays and Norwich.

Poortvliet would continue with the policy of promoting youth,

while attempts to sign and play a couple of better quality and more experienced specialist defenders would not be blocked.

Lowe has done all he needs to do! Without paying his salary we might be able to afford not selling at least one promising player in January.

Without Lowe, morale among supporters would soar. Gates would increase. And the match-day atmosphere that we saw during the last match at St Mary's last season would return.

So thank you and goodbye Rupert, I say. Anyone agree that Lowe is not needed anymore?

spot on!

rubbish. when I first went and stood in the chocolate boxes I didn't know nor care who was in the boardroom, I still go to watch the 11 in red and white. If you don't fancy it, can't afford it, find the football too depressing, only like premiership -fair enough but don't pretend it is because of someone sat in the stands - who was there when we sold out in premiership and went to FA cup final
good post i don,t understand those guys whos lives seemed to be ruled about rupert lowe.i expect if he left they would not have their wet dreams about the guy. i am like you go and watch the boys in red and white and not gazeing at the directors box.

How many supporters were there at St Mary's at the last game last season?

How many currently attending matches?

How can you suggest that Rupert Lowe's takeover of the club (and his subsequent actions) have had nothing to do with such a phenomenal decline in support - the most dramatic decline in the Championship?

IMO your talking absolute kak!!!

How many supporters were at the last game of every season over the last 15 years?

I suggest its been near enough sell out year on year no matter who is on the pitch, stands or dug out.

Lowe was also about during our most successful spell since we won the FA cup and the gates were huge. I agree that not many people liked him even then cause he was still a pompus kock but it didnt stop people buying a ticket and going to matches.

The argument about Lowe has been the same for years but until someone buys him out anything we do will just damage our club further.

The club is for sale but its not an attractive thing to buy at the moment. Someone with money will look and think we are a CCC club that are in danger of going further down with a small fan base that have no patience. Looking at Newcastle they are a Prem club with a huge fan base that will respond to anything positive.

get used to Lowe being here and try to at least support the club in the mean time.