Up to his old tricks ?

eurosaint

I was listening to a Scottish radio commentator last night and he was saying in the game against Iceland Gb brought on an uncapped player who scored the winner, he also g=brought on Iwelumo who with his first touch should have won the game.

He said that had he scored they would have said Gb has a Midas touch, and none of the media stuff would be written.

The fact is Iwelumo missed a chance that even Frannie would have put away and Gb is taking the flak.

If Boyd is so up himself he does not deserve to play international football.

How would we feel if Kenwynne came back to play for us now? Would the fans accept him after his I wont play antics?

Im sure some would, and i am a great fan of his but not the way he conducted himself and the same goes for Boyd he is not a superstar and so should be a team player and wait his turn.

As for playing players out of position, you dont have to look far in all the top teams for that.

It's interesting, Boyd's situation reminds me of Robert Earnshaw a bit. Two players that on paper at least should be getting in their respective club and international sides yet managers never seem to be satisfied with them or want more of an overall contribution. I think Earnshaw's had similar bust-ups with the Welsh management as well although I don't think he's gone as far as Boyd has. Paul Parry of Cardiff did recently though. Makes you wonder what the managers' see behind the scenes or at training that fans or pundits don't.

No point on speculating on what might have beens, just keep to the facts.
and the facts are what in this case?

You have a player who thinks he should be in the side and the manager believes that a player in form deserves his chance.

I dont follow Scottish football but a Scottish commentator said that that both Walter Smith and Gb thought he doesnt offer much to team play. His goalscoring record does seem good if Marcos figures are correct, but as in all things football we all rate players differntly.

You must add attitude to a players worht, and we dont know how he mixes with the rest of the squad.

Whatever it doesnt help Gb and he will be under more pressure due to this episode.

and the facts are what in this case?

Read the last line again and you have your answer.

You are trying to twist it by saying if only he scored. He didn't...fact.

Scotland are unlikely to qualify..fact. George Burley picks the team that are underperforming...fact.

But hey, why not disguise his incompetence by picking on a player that didn't play.

And as you like playing the 'if only' card, ask the Scottish fans what they would say, 'if only' Boyd was the one with that chance.

Scotland are unlikely to qualify..fact. George Burley picks the team that are underperforming...fact.

But hey, why not disguise his incompetence by picking on a player that didn't play.

And as you like playing the 'if only' card, ask the Scottish fans what they would say, 'if only' Boyd was the one with that chance.

The facts are that we dont know if boyd would have scored. He may not have been in the position and so it is irrelevant.

The facts is that Gb did not pick the player, that the player went off in a strop and instead of knuckling down he has made himself unavailable to play for his national side.

Without a doubt anyone would have put that ball away, even Neil McCann, but Iwelumo will not be the last to miss an absolute sitter.

You are a comedian, Scotland are unlikely to qualify FACT. Where is the fact in that statement, it is opinion only, it will be a fact when they are mathmatically out of it.

You think Gb picks teams that are underperforming, it doesnt count in the real world as again it is opinion only.So dont tell me they are facts but opinions, by someone who does not wish to have a balanced view but only wants him to fail and so it all adds up in your stupid mind.

Roll out some accurate facts and then perhaps you will get agreement but do not confuse your opinion to that being fact.

Scotland are rubbish. Now there's a fact.

Another fact is they haven't qualified for a major tournament in 10 years.

The facts are that we dont know if boyd would have scored. He may not have been in the position and so it is irrelevant.

The facts is that Gb did not pick the player, that the player went off in a strop and instead of knuckling down he has made himself unavailable to play for his national side.

Without a doubt anyone would have put that ball away, even Neil McCann, but Iwelumo will not be the last to miss an absolute sitter.

You are a comedian, Scotland are unlikely to qualify FACT. Where is the fact in that statement, it is opinion only, it will be a fact when they are mathmatically out of it.

You think Gb picks teams that are underperforming, it doesnt count in the real world as again it is opinion only.So dont tell me they are facts but opinions, by someone who does not wish to have a balanced view but only wants him to fail and so it all adds up in your stupid mind.

Roll out some accurate facts and then perhaps you will get agreement but do not confuse your opinion to that being fact.

You really are the most annoying poster on this forum.

Try reading things as they are intended and stop twisting them.

Example: The chance of a horse winning the grand national at odds of 500-1 is unlikely to win. Thats not an opinion.

Scotland have a mountain to climb to qualify now. Is that an opinion? Doesn't mean they won't, just unlikely.

But feel free to nit pick every word I use, even though its obvious to most how it was intended.

As for the team underperforming, how many peoples opinions are that GB is performing well ? 4 points from 3 games is a fact, and the fact is thats not good enough form to qualify.

Do you think GB is doing well as Scotland manager ? Do you think he spent £7m wisely at Saints ?

Scotland are rubbish. Now there's a fact.

Another fact is they haven't qualified for a major tournament in 10 years.

Or another fact is they narrowly failed to qualify for Euro 2008 with a group including France and Italy and having beaten France home and away. Given their lack of resources and players it would be a great achivement to qualify for any major tournament these days.

Scotland lost narrowly away to Macedonia recently a team England failed to beat at home not long ago.

Example: The chance of a horse winning the grand national at odds of 500-1 is unlikely to win. Thats not an opinion.

Scotland have a mountain to climb to qualify now. Is that an opinion? Doesn't mean they won't, just unlikely.

But feel free to nit pick every word I use, even though its obvious to most how it was intended.

As for the team underperforming, how many peoples opinions are that GB is performing well ? 4 points from 3 games is a fact, and the fact is thats not good enough form to qualify.

Do you think GB is doing well as Scotland manager ? Do you think he spent £7m wisely at Saints ?

Why because he posts good points that you disagree with? You ask him to read things as they are intended, you should do the same. Good to see you have changed your 'facts' to 'unlikely' which I agree with but until they are mathematically out of the tournament they still have a chance of qualifying and that's a fact.

Thanks for me being high on your approval rating. Now it is unlikely that we will see eye to eye, it is not a fact but a probability. I agree it is a probability that Scotland will not qualify, but not a fact until they fail.

Do I think he spent wisely?

Well as so many of the rabid anti GB's go on about him not playing Rasiak and Saga i cant see where you are coming from.If you keep quoting how we didnt play them you obviously rate those 2 signings. I also rated his signings of Kelvin, Andrew Davies thought that Euell was ok. His loan signings were ok Potter guthrie and the full back from Spurs. I thought the winger from Liverpool was poor. Makin was only a stop gap and Jwright was a good professional. I cant recall many and cant be bothered to look all the names up.

He did play baird and turn him into a £3m fee , KJ who many thought was rubbish (not me) into a 6m fee and of course he took a 16-17 year old kid and put him into the first team who also earned us a 6m fee (no body on here had been gushing and told us that he was any good before he was picked) oh Rudi was a poor signing, although the fans were begging him /club to get him to join.

All in all it was not a glorious reign but it was not as bad as the very rabid anti Gb's think.

Thanks for me being high on your approval rating. Now it is unlikely that we will see eye to eye, it is not a fact but a probability. I agree it is a probability that Scotland will not qualify, but not a fact until they fail.

Well as so many of the rabid anti GB's go on about him not playing Rasiak and Saga i cant see where you are coming from.If you keep quoting how we didnt play them you obviously rate those 2 signings. I also rated his signings of Kelvin, Andrew Davies thought that Euell was ok. His loan signings were ok Potter guthrie and the full back from Spurs. I thought the winger from Liverpool was poor. Makin was only a stop gap and Jwright was a good professional. I cant recall many and cant be bothered to look all the names up.

He did play baird and turn him into a £3m fee , KJ who many thought was rubbish (not me) into a 6m fee and of course he took a 16-17 year old kid and put him into the first team who also earned us a 6m fee (no body on here had been gushing and told us that he was any good before he was picked) oh Rudi was a poor signing, although the fans were begging him /club to get him to join.

All in all it was not a glorious reign but it was not as bad as the very rabid anti Gb's think.

You do realise you are not allowed to have a different opinion or a well balanced discussion on here :-)

Why because he posts good points that you disagree with? You ask him to read things as they are intended, you should do the same. Good to see you have changed your 'facts' to 'unlikely' which I agree with but until they are mathematically out of the tournament they still have a chance of qualifying and that's a fact.

Unlikely was written in the original post of mine.

Or another fact is they narrowly failed to qualify for Euro 2008 with a group including France and Italy and having beaten France home and away. Given their lack of resources and players it would be a great achivement to qualify for any major tournament these days.

Scotland lost narrowly away to Macedonia recently a team England failed to beat at home not long ago.

Which begs the question, what has gone wrong since.

I refer you back to the main post.

Walcott was put in by Saggy chops, not your hero.

But I think we are getting somewhere Nick. As you have shown above, a good bunch of individuals, just needed someone who could mould them into a team.

Many managers in this league would, in my opinion have done a lot better with those players or the £7m to spend.

Walcott was put in by Saggy chops, not your hero.

But I think we are getting somewhere Nick. As you have shown above, a good bunch of individuals, just needed someone who could mould them into a team.

Many managers in this league would, in my opinion have done a lot better with those players or the £7m to spend.

I think he was referring to Bale TBF.

Try again...:rolleyes:

Absolutely correct, try telling your mates as well and not single out one person.

I added it to the end of the thread and your post happened to be the last and most relevant of the slanging but it was aimed at the 'thread' and not a single individual. Not sure what the 'mates' reference is but I won't be drawn into this deteriorating thread further. Enjoy.

For saintwarwick and nickh, this will be the last time I post on this thread..hooray.

I apologise if my use of the English language was misleading to you, but let me try and clarify what I was trying to say:

The fact is Scotland are unlikely to now qualify.

Yes I may have said it back to front and shouldn't have used the word fact. But I think its obvious to most what it was supposed to mean.

Its just a figure of speech.

Now you guys think Burley is doing well and that he did ok with us. Thats fine. We have totally different views on what success is when you are given £7m to spend in a league like ours. I just have higher expectations than you.

For saintwarwick and nickh, this will be the last time I post on this thread..hooray.

I apologise if my use of the English language was misleading to you, but let me try and clarify what I was trying to say:

The fact is Scotland are unlikely to now qualify.

Yes I may have said it back to front and shouldn't have used the word fact. But I think its obvious to most what it was supposed to mean.

Its just a figure of speech.

Now you guys think Burley is doing well and that he did ok with us. Thats fine. We have totally different views on what success is when you are given £7m to spend in a league like ours. I just have higher expectations than you.

Im glad you have pulled back in your tone and appreciate that. The word fact is not a figure of speech but a way of reinforcing an arguement as there is no other arguement.

There is nothing wrong with having high expectations but with those you have to factor all things in, and until fans do they will forever be disappointed.Yes 7m is a lot of money to invest but you also have to take into account the level of fan expectation, the boardroom squabbles and players leaving or not gelling as quickly as we would have expected.

I can hold my hand up and say I was reserved about the furore about us signing Rudi as I had never seen him play and it was on the back of a good season at Hearts. The fans were baying to sign him , and he has been a terible disappointment.Rasiak was a goalscorer but he took away from other areas of the team and the day he fought with Surman to take the penalty he lost a lot of fans respect. Saga was another who we set high standards of but as soon as he got his contract he never seemed the same again.

I was meaning Bale when I said about the young player sorry if I confused things by not naming him but took it people would have relised who it was i was alluding to.

Now of course it could be now said that they were Gb's fault for signing them but at first 2 of the 3 looked fair signings.

I think Gb did a fair job and under the circumstances he did well but he will not go down as one of my favourite managers, but they are few and far between in the all the years I have watched Saints.

I have defended him as he has been unjustly treated by fans who have slurred (bad choice of words) him and made accusations thatr have never come into the open press which is amazing if true.

• 3 weeks later...