Up to his old tricks ?

eurosaint

Our former manager seems to be repeating some of his strange behaviour in his new job:

a) Played a right sider on the left wing !

b) Played one up front in a 'must win' home game!

c) Played his most creative player as lone striker with his back permanently to the play!

d) Took off his best player (having played out of position) after 65mins !

e) Has now upset a striker with negative comments behind his back, causing him to walk out! (see link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7665985.stm

Good old George, eh ??

Our former manager seems to be repeating some of his strange behaviour in his new job:

c) Played his most creative player as lone striker with his back permanently to the play!

e) Has now upset a striker with negative comments behind his back, causing him to walk out! (see link)

Good old George, eh ??

The only manager in the history of the game to play a player out of position, play a lone striker up front and upset a player who cannot get a game for his club let alone for his national team. What is the world coming to and what is this fixation with Burley that people still post on this main board.

He was right about Boyd, though he did get it a fair bit wrong.[/QUOTE]

Strange that he should pick him for the squad, put him on the bench and then slag him off in a TV interview don't you think ??

Didn't exactly slag him of did he. He just reacted to comments made by Boyd who was doing the slagging of.

The only manager in the history of the game to play a player out of position, play a lone striker up front and upset a player who cannot get a game for his club let alone for his national team. What is the world coming to and what is this fixation with Burley that people still post on this main board.

Just making SFC related comment on a football forum !

I assume that you also object to the threads re. Redknapp and Hoddle on the same page ??

7 goals in 14 games not good enough eh ? Just shows what a waste he was with us.

He was right about Boyd, though he did get it a fair bit wrong.[/QUOTE]

Strange that he should pick him for the squad, put him on the bench and then slag him off in a TV interview don't you think ??

I agree it was strange to pick him, don't think he treated him particularily badly once chosen though.

7 goals in 14 games not good enough eh ? Just shows what a waste he was with us.

So you would pick a bloke who cannot get a game for his club side over a player who is in the goals (8 so far this season). I suppose Fabio Capello would be a waste as a manager for us then considering there was no room in the team let alone the bench for Michael Owen, 40 goals in 89 matches. At least Owen didn't throw his dummy out of the pram.

If it works then that is great. If it doesn't then well it doesn't. However Burley is being found out now to be the poor manager most of us knew he was. Anyone who watched Sky on saturday would of heard Charlie blast Burley on air by taking the team back to the stoneage. He said "what annoys me is i hear Burley on tv talking about his dream, well George stop dreaming!"

According to BBC, Burley has had a vote of confidence from the SFA Chairman - so thats OK then.....

I was going to say GB wont be in that job this time next year as he has bitten off more than he can chew.

Having seen that vote of confidence quote I may change it to this time next month !!

I was going to say GB wont be in that job this time next year as he has bitten off more than he can chew.

Having seen that vote of confidence quote I may change it to this time next month !!

Well Burley certainly isn't the man for most situations but the Scots overate their footballing acumen big time as always. They aren't very good that's all.

Celtic get to the group stages of the CL sometimes but I think they have a lot of foreign players.

Good old George, eh ??

Sorry but you need to get some facts right.

Maloney has played on the left side plenty of times for club and country.

Scotland have played one up front for some time and the manager changed this early in 2nd half to 442.

McFadden was struggling with a groin strain at half time acording to GB.

Boyd was due to be dropped for the next squad due to his poor attitude and is currently not able to get into Rangers 1st team.

Have not seen any quotes from GB slagging off the player before Boyd threw his toys out of the pram.

Scotland have played one up front for some time and the manager changed this early in 2nd half to 442.

Boyd was due to be dropped for the next squad due to his poor attitude and is currently not able to get into Rangers 1st team.

Have not seen any quotes from GB slagging off the player before Boyd threw his toys out of the pram.

Careful you might get ambushed for providing real facts.

So you would pick a bloke who cannot get a game for his club side over a player who is in the goals (8 so far this season). I suppose Fabio Capello would be a waste as a manager for us then considering there was no room in the team let alone the bench for Michael Owen, 40 goals in 89 matches. At least Owen didn't throw his dummy out of the pram.

Poor argument, I could rattle off a list of players that can't get a game for their club but play for their country.

Why would Owen throw his dummy out ? He lost his place because he is always injured. We all know you can't build a team around a player that is going to miss half the games. But saying that I would still prefer to see Owen instead of Heskey.

Poor argument, I could rattle off a list of players that can't get a game for their club but play for their country.

Why would Owen throw his dummy out ? He lost his place because he is always injured. We all know you can't build a team around a player that is going to miss half the games. But saying that I would still prefer to see Owen instead of Heskey.

Please feel free to rattle them off ;) As for Owen he is not injured and is playing for the first team and scoring unlike Boyd. Boyd threw his dummy out of the pram because he did not play against Norway, Owen kept his head after being dropped from the English squad without a place on the bench even though he is not injured.

I think that my facts are better than yours !

a) Maloney is right sided and playing on the left (that's what I said!).

b) If playing one up front was changed at h/t then surely it was wrong in the first place !

c) If Boyd was DUE to be dropped why the hell pick him in the first place !

d) Please re-read the BBC article and you'll find that Boyd reacted to GB's comments on TV, not the other way round, there is no mention that Boyd said anything prior to this !!

Anyway, it's all history as far as Saints are concerned but I could detect similar weaknesses to his time down here, that's all !

Apparently a 'rushed' press conference to be held today by GB in response to Boyd and the inference others do not wish to play under him, irrespective of the individuals involved I am of the opinion Boyd has not acted in a professional manner and should be treated accordingly

I am of the opinion that I don't give a f**k, either about Burley or about

Scottish Football.As long as Burley ain't here why should I care what he does.

Please feel free to rattle them off ;) As for Owen he is not injured and is playing for the first team and scoring unlike Boyd. Boyd threw his dummy out of the pram because he did not play against Norway, Owen kept his head after being dropped from the English squad without a place on the bench even though he is not injured.

Lets start nearer to home: Chris Baird played more games for Ireland than he did Saints. Saganoski anyone

As for the rest, I could be typing them in all day. Ferreira, Ivanovic, Agger just to name a few.

Peter Crouch struggled to get a regular first team slot for Liverpool, yet was playing and scoring for England.

As for Boyd, he had scored 7 golas in 14 games for Scotland, until Burley did to him what he did to Saganoski and dropped him for the last 4 or 5 games.

Lets face it Burley has lost the plot.

I was listening to a Scottish radio commentator last night and he was saying in the game against Iceland Gb brought on an uncapped player who scored the winner, he also g=brought on Iwelumo who with his first touch should have won the game.

He said that had he scored they would have said Gb has a Midas touch, and none of the media stuff would be written.

The fact is Iwelumo missed a chance that even Frannie would have put away and Gb is taking the flak.

If Boyd is so up himself he does not deserve to play international football.

How would we feel if Kenwynne came back to play for us now? Would the fans accept him after his I wont play antics?

Im sure some would, and i am a great fan of his but not the way he conducted himself and the same goes for Boyd he is not a superstar and so should be a team player and wait his turn.

As for playing players out of position, you dont have to look far in all the top teams for that.

I was listening to a Scottish radio commentator last night and he was saying in the game against Iceland Gb brought on an uncapped player who scored the winner, he also g=brought on Iwelumo who with his first touch should have won the game.

He said that had he scored they would have said Gb has a Midas touch, and none of the media stuff would be written.

The fact is Iwelumo missed a chance that even Frannie would have put away and Gb is taking the flak.

How would we feel if Kenwynne came back to play for us now? Would the fans accept him after his I wont play antics?

Im sure some would, and i am a great fan of his but not the way he conducted himself and the same goes for Boyd he is not a superstar and so should be a team player and wait his turn.

As for playing players out of position, you dont have to look far in all the top teams for that.

I agree with what your saying about Boyd's attitude. My argument is the fact that Burley dropped him after scoring 7 goals in 7 starts in the first place. Had he been on the pitch instead of an untried Iwelumo the result could have been different.

He did the same with Saganoski, he had a really good goals ratio towards the end of the previous season, then in the first game of the new season he scores for us against Palace then he's dropped for weeks on end.

When he eventually does give him another chance, Saga returns as a man with drained confidence.

This is the point that people are making about Burley, he does the weirdest things then bemoans his luck when it doesn't pay off.

The bloke has clearly started to show he has little respect already in Scotland. Boyd and Charlie Nickerlas are only the start, of what is going to be a rough ride for George.

Billy Dodds wrote his views on it as he knows Kris Boyd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7666305.stm

It makes things a lot clearer. The problem seems that he has been trying really hard in training both while with club and while away on international. He has a 50% goal ratio for country and has scored 54 times in 82 games for Rangers which is outstanding %. He is not some run of the mill player. He is a goal scorer, a proven goal scorer. The thing which he is unhappy about which was echoed all around the media is that it is right to try new things if games are not going your way. People deserve to be in the squad on current form. BUT that should not be in important games where it is vital to win. With 10 mins to go he brought on Iwelumo for Mcfadden and Steven Fletcher. Two forwards who have a grand total of 0 international goals between them. Add to this their strike rate for their clubs is pretty poor. Iwelumo has started well for Wolves and scored 6 goals in 6 games. But his tally is actually 303 games with 77 goals. Not very prolific. And Fletcher has 130 games and 34 goals. Again not very prolific. Where as Boyd has 235 games at higher level football (champions league etc..) and has 117 goals which is nearly 50% goal ratio.

As Dodds said at some point you need goals so you must use your top goal scorer. The fact he has been overlooked for 2 inexperienced at that level strikers in a vital game is a huge kick in the teeth. But as he also says it isn't down to that game it is the whole period under Burley and being pretty much under used in the 8 games or something.

It is very similar to what happened here, Burley has an obsession with being different even if he finds the right set-up. As with the Midas comment i disagree, they are all saying they should of won the game, they are a better team. The fact they drew and at home is hard to for them to take. They have gone from playing great against teams like France,Italy etc.. to losing to teams like Macedonia. They were 1 place below us in the rankings and looked set to go on to the next level. But Burley has come in and changed the winning formula just for the sake of changing it. That is what i think has ****ed most people off. Again very similar to here.

Billy Dodds wrote his views on it as he knows Kris Boyd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7666305.stm

It makes things a lot clearer. The problem seems that he has been trying really hard in training both while with club and while away on international. He has a 50% goal ratio for country and has scored 54 times in 82 games for Rangers which is outstanding %. He is not some run of the mill player. He is a goal scorer, a proven goal scorer. The thing which he is unhappy about which was echoed all around the media is that it is right to try new things if games are not going your way. People deserve to be in the squad on current form. BUT that should not be in important games where it is vital to win. With 10 mins to go he brought on Iwelumo for Mcfadden and Steven Fletcher. Two forwards who have a grand total of 0 international goals between them. Add to this their strike rate for their clubs is pretty poor. Iwelumo has started well for Wolves and scored 6 goals in 6 games. But his tally is actually 303 games with 77 goals. Not very prolific. And Fletcher has 130 games and 34 goals. Again not very prolific. Where as Boyd has 235 games at higher level football (champions league etc..) and has 117 goals which is nearly 50% goal ratio.

As Dodds said at some point you need goals so you must use your top goal scorer. The fact he has been overlooked for 2 inexperienced at that level strikers in a vital game is a huge kick in the teeth. But as he also says it isn't down to that game it is the whole period under Burley and being pretty much under used in the 8 games or something.

It is very similar to what happened here, Burley has an obsession with being different even if he finds the right set-up. As with the Midas comment i disagree, they are all saying they should of won the game, they are a better team. The fact they drew and at home is hard to for them to take. They have gone from playing great against teams like France,Italy etc.. to losing to teams like Macedonia. They were 1 place below us in the rankings and looked set to go on to the next level. But Burley has come in and changed the winning formula just for the sake of changing it. That is what i think has ****ed most people off. Again very similar to here.

I dont follw Scottish football and have heard of Kris Boyd but only a little.

Is Walter Smith getting the same stick for not playing this prolific striker? Some players upset the dressing room with thier attitude and perahaps we are seeing more about the man.

If it was not your pet hate you may be a little more understanding.The Scots were very unimpressed with his appointment and so they have only given him a little of slack before putting him under pressure.

To me it is not about Gb but whether it is acceptable for a player to threaten to destabilise a teams focus before an important game.What gives him the right to call the shots?

As for Saga you think highly of him i dont.I questioned hois ability even before he signed his contract as he was not a brilliant finisher and we went overboard. That is my opinion of him and when he came up for loan there were not a queue of clubs wishing ofr his services and so that tells us a lot.

I myself beleive in team spirit and without it you are lost, Boyd if he played for England and came out and said the same I would not want him to represent my country again.

Is Walter Smith getting the same stick for not playing this prolific striker? Some players upset the dressing room with thier attitude and perahaps we are seeing more about the man.

If it was not your pet hate you may be a little more understanding.The Scots were very unimpressed with his appointment and so they have only given him a little of slack before putting him under pressure.

To me it is not about Gb but whether it is acceptable for a player to threaten to destabilise a teams focus before an important game.What gives him the right to call the shots?

As for Saga you think highly of him i dont.I questioned hois ability even before he signed his contract as he was not a brilliant finisher and we went overboard. That is my opinion of him and when he came up for loan there were not a queue of clubs wishing ofr his services and so that tells us a lot.

I myself beleive in team spirit and without it you are lost, Boyd if he played for England and came out and said the same I would not want him to represent my country again.

The BBC report says that Boyd reacted to GB's critical remarks of him on telly AFTER the match ! I can't understand why it is necessary for the manager to be negative about someone who did not actually play and this is why I question Burley's man management skills !

Ps.

I also think that Boyd is an @rse for refusing to play for his country in future but as this is a Saints forum my only point was about Burley !

Yes it is about GB, read the 1st post on this thread.

If you want to start a debate about players attitudes, start another thread.

The BBC report says that Boyd reacted to GB's critical remarks of him on telly AFTER the match ! I can't understand why it is necessary for the manager to be negative about someone who did not actually play and this is why I question Burley's man management skills !

Ps.

I also think that Boyd is an @rse for refusing to play for his country in future but as this is a Saints forum my only point was about Burley !

I think i recall that Gb was asked why he put on Iwelumo instead of Boyd. Gb replied on the lines that he was not in the first team and so put in a striker who was on form.

If Iwelumo had scored the question would not have been asked, and it was a fair reply , he was being honest.

You clearly don't, the subject to voice an opinion about was with ref: George Burley and his failings, not Boyd.
Oh so the only opinion to have was if you had an issue with Gb and not to try and debate whether the reasons to do so were wrong.

Its really pathetic.

When is saintwarwick going to come to terms with the fact that Burley has gone, and that most people are pleased ?

I got over it in January and don't really give a toss what he is doing now or who with, it appears others (you inclusive) really love him that much you have to start a thread about the bloke after each game that doesn't feature a win :D

Is Walter Smith getting the same stick for not playing this prolific striker?

See nickh i hate to do this to you as i guess you don't follow football to close but Boyd is actually Rangers top scorer this season. He has played 5 games and scored 4 goals. That is prolific. So i guess you had been reading what Burley said about why he wasen't getting picked at Rangers etc..? Well he has been injured and has started to come back. Ironically he has been playing more recently and scored 3 goals in Rangers last 5 games. Which just makes Burley's reason even more baffling. He has lost the plot once again and rather then take the blame for his mess ups he has tried to shift the blame onto someone else,again. Boyd has actually only played 29mins for Scotland since Burley arrived. The fact he came out after the game and slagged off Boyd even though he hasen't played for the previous 3 games including the game Burley is commenting on is just poor behaviour on Burley's part. My scotish neighbours said to me i'm more scotish then Burley. So i'm guessing that is a big thumbs down from them!

Burley has screwed up

See nickh i hate to do this to you as i guess you don't follow football to close but Boyd is actually Rangers top scorer this season. He has played 5 games and scored 4 goals. That is prolific. So i guess you had been reading what Burley said about why he wasen't getting picked at Rangers etc..? Well he has been injured and has started to come back. Ironically he has been playing more recently and scored 3 goals in Rangers last 5 games. Which just makes Burley's reason even more baffling. He has lost the plot once again and rather then take the blame for his mess ups he has tried to shift the blame onto someone else,again. Boyd has actually only played 29mins for Scotland since Burley arrived. The fact he came out after the game and slagged off Boyd even though he hasen't played for the previous 3 games including the game Burley is commenting on is just poor behaviour on Burley's part. My scotish neighbours said to me i'm more scotish then Burley. So i'm guessing that is a big thumbs down from them!

Burley has screwed up

Some interesting statistics there. Having watched the interview (and pre-match interview) I didn't think GB came across too well. I appreciate it's very subjective and down to personal opinion and that's all I have, no hard facts.

Burley has screwed up

Your wasting your time Marco, Nick and Saintwarwick are more interested in twisting the thread about Boyd's mental state and attitude rather than hard facts.

Burley has screwed up

No, its the same old story that there is only room for his ego in his dressing room, and he bitterly resents others that become bigger than he is in the eyes of the public.

Bizarre (man-)management ethic, I reckon...

Edited by alpine_saint

Just making SFC related comment on a football forum !

I assume that you also object to the threads re. Redknapp and Hoddle on the same page ??

That's fair enough and although the comment was not directed at me I have to say I do find all three threads bizarre. Are we really that mean and vindictive to feel the need to constantly drag up our apparent dislike for these ex managers? I'm sure it's not good for the health. My gran always used to say if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all ;~)

That's fair enough and although the comment was not directed at me I have to say I do find all three threads bizarre. Are we really that mean and vindictive to feel the need to constantly drag up our apparent dislike for these ex managers? I'm sure it's not good for the health. My gran always used to say if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all ;~)

We should try that one week, especially after a Saints defeat, then see how many people post.

Your wasting your time Marco, Nick and Saintwarwick are more interested in twisting the thread about Boyd's mental state and attitude rather than hard facts.

So because a player has a petulant hissy fit and walks out he is in the right.

Answer this, had Iwelumo scored, would Boyd have had his fit of peak and so would any of this conversation gone ahead?

So because a player has a petulant hissy fit and walks out he is in the right.

Answer this, had Iwelumo scored, would Boyd have had his fit of peak and so would any of this conversation gone ahead?

Right or wrong Boyd has fallen out with Burley, for what its worth I think Boyd has a point although by walking out he has gone to far. But it is an incident that has happened to Burley, he has upset a player so much that he has refused to play under him again and in doing so has jeopardised his international career. Now I'm sure he didn't take that decision lightly. Players refusing to play for their country because of the manager are few and far between, but the originator of this thread has pointed out the common denominator is George Burley.

The fact is Burley has dropped someone who has scored 7 goals in 7 starts for two untried players for such an important game and it backfired.

It didn't work, so the blame lays with him, no one else. That is the point being made. He did equally baffling things at Saints.

Had Chris Waddle or Stuart Pearce not missed in Englands penalty shoot out, would they have still appeared in Pizza Pan adverts ?

Iwelumo did miss and Burley picked him so he takes the flak. No point on speculating on what might have beens, just keep to the facts.

Edited by slickmick