iPhone email question

SO16_Saint

i *think* the Hotmail access on the iPhone/iPod is only POP3 rather than SMTP, meaning it sends and receives, but doesnt sync.

Exchange, Yahoo, gMail etc are all SMTP on the iPhone IIRC.

(awaits Apple nerds telling me Im wrong)

Yeah, think it is a POP3 account. Didn't realise that meant it doesn't sync. That's rubbish, and very frustrating having to delete messages twice!!

I'm pretty sure there's a setting to "delete messages from server" somewhere in there - but whenever I've used it it has the side-effect of the server redelivering a load of read e-mails which have been dormant for some time (there must be a time-stamp setting on the freeserve/wanadoo/orange server config) to my browser.

So instead of deleting mails from server to prevent double-deleting, it actually means I end up having to double-delete absoutely LOADS of stuff I already deleted off the browser before.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting to "delete messages from server" somewhere in there - but whenever I've used it it has the side-effect of the server redelivering a load of read e-mails which have been dormant for some time (there must be a time-stamp setting on the freeserve/wanadoo/orange server config) to my browser.

So instead of deleting mails from server to prevent double-deleting, it actually means I end up having to double-delete absoutely LOADS of stuff I already deleted off the browser before.

I thought this too, but I've had a look through settings and can't find anywhere - so I think what Pancake said is right.