New Laptop Advice

EBS1980

Hi

My current laptop, while there is nothing wrong with it's performance is falling apart. Hinges both damaged, doesn't work unless plugged into the mains, wont charge the battery while plugged into the mains.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a new laptop for me please. I don't use it for anything other than internet, outlook for emails and the occasional bit of work from home, using excel and word.

I'm not really sure how much to spend, obviously i don't wanna spend more than needs be.

Thanks

I know they got "bad press" in another thead on here, but I just got my hands on a new Toshiba Netbook for a family member (NB250-108 ).

For just over £200, I was impressed. It will do everything you listed above no problem. Very good battery (5hrs) and Win7. Screen's a bit small if your eyesight's not great, but otherwise I would recommend it to anybody for browsing and occasional work. No DVD, but with 16 & 32GB flash drives, who needs them now anyway? I've been using my own laptop for 6 months now without a DVD, and haven't missed it yet. Very light & portable.

There's no e-mail client with Win7, so you'll have to buy Outlook or use one of the free alternatives.

I know they got "bad press" in another thead on here, but I just got my hands on a new Toshiba Netbook for a family member (NB250-108 ).

For just over £200, I was impressed. It will do everything you listed above no problem. Very good battery (5hrs) and Win7. Screen's a bit small if your eyesight's not great, but otherwise I would recommend it to anybody for browsing and occasional work. No DVD, but with 16 & 32GB flash drives, who needs them now anyway? I've been using my own laptop for 6 months now without a DVD, and haven't missed it yet. Very light & portable.

There's no e-mail client with Win7, so you'll have to buy Outlook or use one of the free alternatives.

I couldn't advise somebody buy any form of netbook if they wish to do any sort of Word or Excel work on it. The screens and keyboards make anything that quick on the go editing where there's no alternative a complete no go.

I couldn't advise somebody buy any form of netbook if they wish to do any sort of Word or Excel work on it. The screens and keyboards make anything that quick on the go editing where there's no alternative a complete no go.

The screen is small, admittedly (10.1" 1024x600), but the keyboard on the netbook is exactly the same as the keyboard on my Satellite Pro. I was surprised, I thought it would be smaller, with some keys missing.

As I said, I was very surprised. I expected the netbook to deliver a lot less than it does. It's not a portable desktop, but it does everything I do on my £700 laptop, just a little bit slower. If I was spending my own money, it's a no-brainer.