Did the investment rumours kill off the fans?

Saint Billy

Since the supposed interest from Paul Allen, along with the heady plans to plough millions into the club along with re-development of the area, there has been much speculation regarding numerous other investment links, from the Arabs to the Chinese, Canadian Ice hockey club owner, Everton chairman, US football club owner, loads more than I can care to remember.

I believe the above has had a lot to do with the falling gates and general apathy, not all by any means, but surely it has not helped.

The excitement kicked up by the Paul Allen link was immense, not just on this forum, but in the tabloids, media, radio etc. It was being spouted that we could rival the top four in the prem with the amount of spends we would have. Not all, but many of us were taken in and started to dream of the impossible.

Yes, the boardroom politics, the power struggles, the financial meltdown and the poor results and numerous managers hold the biggest blame for the dwindling gates, but I also feel that all this endless and fruitless speculation has done the fanbase more damage than good and has played it´s part in ripping the heart and soul out of many fans who now see no hope for the future.

Ironically, we are now in a situation where we cannot survive without investment, nor can we without the fanbase.

Well put Saint Billy, I share a similar view. The future looked so bright when all this talk of 'a deal being done by Friday' was going on and now ... nothing, no real hope it seems.

The problem goes deeper though doesn't it? The media promote the Premier League as being the only thing that matters and our younger fans have such high expectations and the joy of supporting your local team disappeared long ago when money took over.

We can't turn the clock back so we can only hope that our young team grow in confidence and maturity, the wins start becoming more regular and that that confidence and maturity will start to spread back to some of the younger fans.

If not? Well there is more to life than football ...

Since the supposed interest from Paul Allen, along with the heady plans to plough millions into the club along with re-development of the area, there has been much speculation regarding numerous other investment links, from the Arabs to the Chinese, Canadian Ice hockey club owner, Everton chairman, US football club owner, loads more than I can care to remember.

I believe the above has had a lot to do with the falling gates and general apathy, not all by any means, but surely it has not helped.

The excitement kicked up by the Paul Allen link was immense, not just on this forum, but in the tabloids, media, radio etc. It was being spouted that we could rival the top four in the prem with the amount of spends we would have. Not all, but many of us were taken in and started to dream of the impossible.

Yes, the boardroom politics, the power struggles, the financial meltdown and the poor results and numerous managers hold the biggest blame for the dwindling gates, but I also feel that all this endless and fruitless speculation has done the fanbase more damage than good and has played it´s part in ripping the heart and soul out of many fans who now see no hope for the future.

Ironically, we are now in a situation where we cannot survive without investment, nor can we without the fanbase.

Interesting post and I think you are right that this has been a factor. Compare the hope and joy that the initial Paul Allen takeover generated with the current prospect of

" cheer on the yongsters when you can 'cos if they are any good they will be sold at the next transfer window."

Without investment the future looks bleak. With investment a la Paul Allen it would have looked brilliant.

Did the investment rumours kill off the fans?

In a word..."No"....the chap below summed up the actual reason quite nicely.....;)

the boardroom politics, the power struggles, the financial meltdown and the poor results and numerous managers hold the biggest blame for the dwindling gates

I honestly don't think that most of these takeover rumours stirred up any real interest outside of this board.

Even the Paul Allen [sic] one didn't get people out in the real world talking for long. Yes, it got a mention in The Echo, but it had no legs and was quickly forgotten.

Luckily, normal people were spared the Tommacs, LongLife, Barry the Briefcase and their ilk!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't think that most of these takeover rumours stirred up any real interest outside of this board.

Even the Paul Allen [sic] one didn't get people out in the real world talking for long. Yes, it got a mention in The Echo, but it had no legs and was quickly forgotten.

Luckily, normal people were spared the Tommacs, LongLife, Barry the Briefcase and their ilk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree.

I agree that the "takeover" talk probably has had little effect on people outside of the internet forum world.

Most people probably had more sense than to believe the initial wild speculation once the story "leaked" out,and as they were not privvy to,or spared the constant self perpetuating spiralling of "I know a secret..." 'itk' posts for months on end.probably forgot about it.

In the real world there are enough factors on the pitch,and the soap opera in the boardroom to p!ss the general footballing public off at SMS, without the help of fantasyland.

I'm not so sure!

Just like the Charlton investment possibility, the news got out there. At games people were talking about it, local councillors where talking about it, Sky sports news, Sky news, BBC News and Talk sport covered it. Remember the quote from Leon Crouch "Very exciting times for sfc". The daily's ran editorial and the web was awash with it. Just google Paul Allen and Southampton fc and endless pages are still there.

Most if not all saints followers knew about the Paul Allen link.

We were poor for a long time in the Prem but I guess people turned up just to see a Prem game. I used to live in S London and go to Palace with my mates, not because I was interested in Palace but because I wanted to see a Prem game.

Less people are interested in CCC footy and what we have now is probably a true refection of the hard core "paying" support.

I used to turn up at the gate and get in with my pocket money, now you need a second mortage and a ticket. I am not going to spend the same amount of money going to a football match as I would to a rock concert. I think football has priced itself out of a certain market.

I remeber the day that all broke about Paul Allen, I was caining my mates and my Liverpool supporting friend was sincerely worried when i convinced him Gerrard would take 300k a week to join us :grin:

How it all quickly changed

Last years football and performances are probably the last straw for many people. I know a wealthy corporate sponsor that just walked away. All round me in block 5, people that were season ticket holders have just disappeared. Some of them I know just had enough.

Last years football and performances are probably the last straw for many people. I know a wealthy corporate sponsor that just walked away. All round me in block 5, people that were season ticket holders have just disappeared. Some of them I know just had enough.

I totally agree with this assessment.

When i look around in the Northam at how many people were there last season,there are not that many left.Most of the row behind me and in front of me have changed and there doesnt seem to be many regular faces anymore.

I think most people are just fed up with it all.

I'm not so sure!

Just like the Charlton investment possibility, the news got out there. At games people were talking about it, local councillors where talking about it, Sky sports news, Sky news, BBC News and Talk sport covered it. Remember the quote from Leon Crouch "Very exciting times for sfc". The daily's ran editorial and the web was awash with it. Just google Paul Allen and Southampton fc and endless pages are still there.

Most if not all saints followers knew about the Paul Allen link.

I think there is something in what you say, a significant amount but one very difficult to put a figure on.

I remember certain lads at work and other venues giving it the big one in respect to Paul Allen and who we would be buying etc. Similar to when looking over at the Itchen / Northam corner, who always seemed more concerned with the opposition fans than the match itself. Having gradually had the **** taken out of them over those years it is clear to see some no longer have the same interest in Saints.

But at the present there just seems to be a general malaise regarding Saints apart from the hardcore (who are diminishing). A few that come to the games with me are less bothered about going anymore. They are not interested about the boardroom events or chairman, get their admission for free, but just don't seem to get the same exitement out of things anymore, even though I think the football is so much better.

Then take into account those whose enthusiasism has only dropped a small amount, throw in the cost of living increases and travelling costs outside of the city area and it comes as no surprise attendances are down.

Someone posted the other day that Saints had one of the highest proportions of home fans that travelled the furthest. Factor that into the above and it is not difficult to understand what is happening in this current climate.

I totally agree with this assessment.

When i look around in the Northam at how many people were there last season,there are not that many left.Most of the row behind me and in front of me have changed and there doesnt seem to be many regular faces anymore.

I think most people are just fed up with it all.

I agree, and would also add that only one home league win in five hasn't really encouraged walk ups.

Playing the youngsters might be inspiring to some (including those who appreciate some spirit and some sort of affinity to the Club), but it has also failed to inspire others who don't appear to be impressed by the performances or the results to date.

Disloyal, fairweather, scum (not my words), call the the stayaways whatever you like, but the hard nosed fact is that unless we start turning in decent performances and getting results, then we are unlikely to win back a large chunk of our latent support. That's just life and we have to deal with it.

Lot just got bored with the product on offer and voted with their feet......trouble is with such an inconsistent team it will take a lot to get even a few of them back.....I fear the bankers will deal Saints a mortal blow before long on gates of 13k to 14k.......the whole thing is unsustainable, especially after the last week!!.........more people are tightening belts, fans, sponsors and more alarmingly those funding the borrowings

Relegation followed by sales of walcott etc, The most worrying thing for me though is that teams and clubs that were /are inferior in some ways can attract investment and for some reason investors shy away from us.

The rise of Reading and Portsmouth where they were playing CCC football then got promoted also took supporters away from Saints while we were in the Prem some of those used to come to SMS.

They were takeover RUMOURS!They were not real!

There was never an interest from Paul Allen. Rumours do not effect on the falling level of interest from fans for Saints.

Bad results DO have such an effect.

Bad management DOES have such an effect.

Ru**rt's return DOES have such an effect.

Playing kids against men DOES have such an effect.

Closing the corners DOES have such an effect.

Showing disrespect for fans DOES have such an effect.

They were takeover RUMOURS!They were not real!

There was never an interest from Paul Allen. Rumours do not effect on the falling level of interest from fans for Saints.

Bad results DO have such an effect.

Bad management DOES have such an effect.

Ru**rt's return DOES have such an effect.

Playing kids against men DOES have such an effect.

Closing the corners DOES have such an effect.

Showing disrespect for fans DOES have such an effect.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've just watched a crock of shi te at Wembley on the TV. I now know why I don't get excited any more. In case you missed it England won 5-1, but could have been totally different if Kazakhstan had a bit more confidence if front of goal.

The less I watch the better it will be I thought. Not watched any football since Rotherham game (not much football there either) but it just didn't happen for me. It's not just Saints, it's not the inept performance by the millionaire super stars against a load of part timers, it's football generally.

Perhaps I should form a gang and go out and rampage around Meadowhall or something - it would probably more exciting baiting security guards!

Bring back birching!

Personally I have to agree with Um Pahars - I think we are, and always have been light years away from any real take over bid. Lots and lots of hot air in the media (but they have to fill their time and inches with something) - but no real substance if the truth be known.

The usual 'tyre kickers' and 'Walter Mitty's' who posted here were nothing more than daytime entertainment idiots who should have been afforded a slot on the Jeremy Kyle show such was the level of their credibility.

I agree, and would also add that only one home league win in five hasn't really encouraged walk ups. Playing the youngsters might be inspiring to some (including those who appreciate some spirit and some sort of affinity to the Club), but it has also failed to inspire others who don't appear to be impressed by the performances or the results to date.

Disloyal, fairweather, scum (not my words), call the the stayaways whatever you like, but the hard nosed fact is that unless we start turning in decent performances and getting results, then we are unlikely to win back a large chunk of our latent support. That's just life and we have to deal with it.

That is part of the problem - you can't just walk up! I left it to the last minute to go to the Birmingham Cup Game - got tot he ground and there was bedlum around the ticket office - I thought hang on a minute we are in for a bumper crowd tonight - got in the ground and there was about eight thousand in there! It is such a ball ache for people - lets get one of the section back to cash on the gate - sit anywhere you like and see how we get on.

I read Lukers views in the echo today - no ideas how to increase attendance just a load of excuses for what he cant do - get rid of him and save his salary!!

That is part of the problem - you can't just walk up! I left it to the last minute to go to the Birmingham Cup Game - got tot he ground and there was bedlum around the ticket office - I thought hang on a minute we are in for a bumper crowd tonight - got in the ground and there was about eight thousand in there! It is such a ball ache for people - lets get one of the section back to cash on the gate - sit anywhere you like and see how we get on.

I read Lukers views in the echo today - no ideas how to increase attendance just a load of excuses for what he cant do - get rid of him and save his salary!!

Get the club to open up the Itchen North again and damm the cost.

The atmosphere has suffered badly since it was closed.

Also lets get the matchday experience a lot better.

Cheaper beer,

Cheaper tickets with some sort of compensation for us ST holders,

Lowe to show some humidity(yeah right),

And maybe some sort of consessions for fans who have been loyal.I dont just mean ST holders,but maybe those who can prove they have followed the team for the last four years.

And of course get the team actually winning matches a lot more than they lose?

Cheaper beer,

And maybe some sort of consessions for fans who have been loyal.I dont just mean ST holders,but maybe those who can prove they have followed the team for the last four years.

He generally looks kind of pink...

Cheaper beer,

All things I have thought of myself -

loyalty cards with points for games/season tickets attended - say 25 points a game (home) thirty points for the away traverllers - these points can then be traded for tickets or shirts or whatever - Chuck the cup games in to the season ticket price - this gves you some flexability to move prices for other games - being able to buy bundles of games - to be used when you want throughout the season - j/st to be even cheaper if bought along side adult st therefore enabling give away to schools/tyros.... loads more ideas

what I am driving at though is the fact that luker has n't come in with anything -all lowe and wilde have done is shut four corners and kill the atmosphere - these kids need to be playing to big enthusiastic crowds - just like an u21 game! TBF the football hasn't been that bad this season - quite enjoyable - so its just about getting the taste back in the mouth for the stay aways and making attractive for Mum/dad to take the kids. Everything is so narrow sited - we need to be getting people back in the gate now not just hoping that we might spunk it back into the premier and then they will all come flooding back and the loyals get ****ed over again. Luker has had his day and is just some one else sucking the blood out of the club -fire hime and let me and rock and roll man have a go - at least the beer will be cheaper!!!!

loyalty cards with points for games/season tickets attended - say 25 points a game (home) thirty points for the away traverllers - these points can then be traded for tickets or shirts or whatever - Chuck the cup games in to the season ticket price - this gves you some flexability to move prices for other games - being able to buy bundles of games - to be used when you want throughout the season - j/st to be even cheaper if bought along side adult st therefore enabling give away to schools/tyros.... loads more ideas

what I am driving at though is the fact that luker has n't come in with anything -all lowe and wilde have done is shut four corners and kill the atmosphere - these kids need to be playing to big enthusiastic crowds - just like an u21 game! TBF the football hasn't been that bad this season - quite enjoyable - so its just about getting the taste back in the mouth for the stay aways and making attractive for Mum/dad to take the kids. Everything is so narrow sited - we need to be getting people back in the gate now not just hoping that we might spunk it back into the premier and then they will all come flooding back and the loyals get ****ed over again. Luker has had his day and is just some one else sucking the blood out of the club -fire hime and let me and rock and roll man have a go - at least the beer will be cheaper!!!!

The basics OTH and well put. Luker's strings are being pulled and he is a fish out of water!

we need to be getting people back in the gate now

Totally agree and what has also been said by others on here is that any old fool can cut costs and slash and burn overheads and infrrastructure, but what is difficult is growing a business, gaining customers and generating revenue.

A sure fire way of getting people through the gate is success on the pitch, but in the absence of that we need to be doing something.

Yes it will be difficult, yes there are different (and sometimes opposing) viewpoints, but in the absence of success on the pitch I really don't see that just doing nothing is an option we can run with.

We need some imagination, some togetherness and some leadership that people can rally behind (some home wins wouldn't go amiss either).

Definately agree with what you say ooohTerryHurlock.

Does that also mean we get a say about the barmaids too?

IMO Lowe coming back is the reason our gates dropped by 7-8k this season.

Don't you remember the first home league game after he went (Coventry at home) and how incredible the atmosphere was? Now he's back, all the hope we had during the last 2 years has disappeared to be replaced by the same old "acceptance" that we will struggle.

IMO Lowe coming back is the reason our gates dropped by 7-8k this season.

Don't you remember the first home league game after he went (Coventry at home) and how incredible the atmosphere was? Now he's back, all the hope we had during the last 2 years has disappeared to be replaced by the same old "acceptance" that we will struggle.

Agreed !

I think you’ve brought up a good, relevant point. I, personally, believe the responsibility for our dramatic fall from grace (& grasp of any form of success) is the culmination of all these dark shadows which have enveloped our sorry club.

Consider the events of the past 5 years (or more, depending on the timescale you want to consider/cover) and people are well justified to make Notts Forest, Leeds or Luton equations. We’ve had numerous management swaps, infighting, self-serving boardrooms, every bright starlet sold as soon as they hit form, manager merry-go-arounds, all our remaining stars (new and older) SOLD, poor quality players brought in, numerous fake/empty takeover rumours, Lowe and Wilde returning, poor results, Burley, some hope with Pearson quelled by Lowe’s change of management, egos, Hone and co holding the club hostage while Wilde & co hid in the shadows, PLC related cr*p, grudges, An exodus of players (even the youth) all too keen to get out the door, debts and poor decision after poor decision (both by board, chairman and managers), poor media relations and disdain towards the fans…basically, nothing but BAD news. The punishing and cementing factor, imho, for the fans is the apparent attitude of the so called guardians of our club in recent times (when you consider Askham, Lowe, Redknapp, Burley, Wilde, Hone/Dulieu and the aging pros that clearly had no desire to play, only for pay, etc.). I.E. NOT ONE PERSON OF ANY STATURE (SENIOR/MANAGEMENT/CHAIRMEN) HAS GIVEN A SH*T ABOUT OUR CLUB IN RECENT YEARS (maybe bar Crouch but he was slow to act and wasn’t ideal, but did care imho). INSTEAD, THEY HAVE CONTINUALLY SERVED THEIR OWN, SUREPTITIOUS AGENDAS.

I mean, we all come to watch and enjoy football. Football fans may be fickle but they do deserve respect, as any customer does. Football fans like to see people running a club that care, or at least try and create that impression. We’ve had our name dragged across the media for all the wrong reasons – fake takeover & transfer rumours galore (and players arriving with a pedigree about as exciting as an xmas day omnibus of Eastenders!) and infighting from the boardroom, management shifts resulting in yet more failed managerial appointments (ironically, appointment 10.) made by Lowe – Burley (the less said the better – watch the Scotland press for Burley to be finally seen for what he really is), then Pearson offered some hope and proved popular with the fans in his extremely difficult tenure – appointment Made by Crouch, Only for Pearson to be offloaded at the first opportunity upon the widely refuted return of Wilde and Lowe and subsequent appointment of the Dutch duo (by Lowe), whilst playing practically an entire youth team squad (after disposing of our the last of our performing, senior professionals) against men in a long and arduous league/season. This season will see the outcome of that management decision (I am waiting until Xmas to give my full judgement) but it was (and will remain) a highly risky, and many believe, foolhardy strategy without much consideration for the good of the club. More, a protection of an investment by a man (or men, if you consider Wilde and the other puppets) without any football knowledge or idea about the sporting business and a proven failure.

It’s no wonder so many fans have had enough and are staying away (and let’s not even mention the words “Sky” and “TV”).

I think the point made about self serving interest is a fair one.

I really believe that there is now an even greater lack of trust in the current directors as far as the supporter is concerned.

Much has been made of the reduced attendances, however you do not have to be a rocket scientist to understand that we are not a club with any consistency.

Supporters no longer go to home games expecting a win, the attitude is we may win 1--0 or get a mauling.

Until we get some consistancy back, there is little hope of supporters returning.

As far as the Boardroom politics are concerned the actions there have stiffled much of the enjoyment and loyalty.

Lowe and Wilde have returned not to improve the situation, but, by their own public admmission, their priority is to save their investment.

While a situation exists like this then football and the supporters will always come second.

There is no real hope left, we will always be a desperate second rate side simply because we know that any half decent player will be sold.

Its not the future of the club that the directors are trying to secure, but, the investment that they have made.

Until the latter changes there is no future for any return to Premiership football in Southampton.

Most of the posters on this thread have put forward extremely valid reasons why attendances have declined and they all have an accumulative effect to one degree or another.

But I think the blatant commercialisation of football also has a detrimental effect

I started going to the Dell in 1951 as a four year old and from 1955 to 1980 ( when I moved away from Southampton ) I hardly missed a game. There wan't an excess of football on TV (whereas now you can see a game anywhere in the world on a variety of channels) and you were born and bred in Southampton and supported the Saints.

Youngsters now have so much exposure to the "glamour teams and celebrity players who earn more in a week than most of us could earn in four years, and they want to be associated with that whole scenario.

My son in law was born in Maidstone, has lived here all of his life, and supports Liverpool. He's never been to Liverpool let alone Anfield. What's all that about. He should at least have dual alleigance to Gillingham or Charlton.

My son lived in Southampton until the age of 9 and I took him to the Dell as often as I could. He is a dedicated Saints fan and we both manage to get to 3/4 games per season within time and financial constraints.

I have two grandsons aged almost two and three and I bought them Southampton kits when they were born and will do everything I can to encourage them to support the Saints.

So attendances can be affected by a number of things. It's a generation thing, it's an exposure to successful clubs but it's also wanting to be associated with a winning team.

As soon as the Saints have a good run, and I'm sure they will because these things are cyclical, the attendances will rise again.

Yes, I'm a bit of an optimist.

I don't think the economy and ticket prices should be overlooked though. I'm not saying they are the only factor, SFC has been a tangled web in the last few years but £24-26 a ticket for walk-up fans is too much and needs reducing. The early bird ST renewals have been good value but I wouldn't mind if the walk-up price took a cut if it got fans back into SMS, I don't agree with David Luker. Even Newcastle, who have had full houses for at least 15 years, haven't filled SJP this year. Football is not immune from economic circumstances, West Ham are going to be in awful trouble if they don't get a white knight in the nest few weeks but they probably will being a London club sadly.

Imagine if we could get £17-18 walk-up tickets before XMAS, a few pints of German lager in the XMAS market in the city centre beforehand - come on people, that's got to be a good excuse to escape being dragged around West Quay with the other half?