Blackberry or iPhone?

thesaint sfc

I've got the iPhone 3GS. It's starting to **** me off now. I don't feel inclined to buy the iPhone 4 as I don't see that there are enough improvements and I kind of fancy a change.

Has anyone else here shifted from the iPhone to the Blackberry and seen an improvement?

Should I get the Blackberry Torch?

I went the other way.

I had two Blackberry's which I hated. I then got an iPhone 3GS and now have an iPhone 4.

The iPhone is the best phone out there. Simple as that.

I would never have a Blackberry again.

I would be interested to hear what you dislike about your iPhone? The 4 improves the speed of apps/internet massively, and the camera is a lot better.

Got a BB 9700 last year instead of an iPhone for various reasons. Its a good phone, easy to use and the "real" keys are top; music player is nice, semi-decent camera. Browser, screen and lack of touch are ****e though.

Im jacking the contract and getting an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 3G as a work phone and an iPhone 4 for personal use.

The 3G runs far too slowly on the latest operating systems. Time has not been kind to it and although it is still an impressive piece of kit it cannot run at an acceptable pace with the modern apps. It is ergonomically better but it scratches far too easily.

The 4 is an absolute lightyear ahead of the 3G. Once you have used the retina display you cannot take the lower resolution ones seriously... they seem pre-historic in comparison. It is bloody durable too. Resists hairline scratches and wear and tear far better then the 3G/3Gs.

It is a shame that the Apple OS limits the customisation options for the device (yes you can jailbreak it, but i'm not going to do that...) but other then that I canot recommend the 4 highly enough.

Edited by Colinjb

The battery lasts for about 4 hours in mine now. I've had my itunes account hacked and had £200 spent on apps. Apple have said they only deal with those problems via email and its taking them on average 5 days to get back to me. Most of the apps I use regularly freeze now. I find it's got pretty slow now also. Guess I can't complain as I do have the older model now, but the iphone 4 doesn't look appealing to me. I opted for another years warranty on mine, so I guess I could take it to an Apple store and explain the problems I've had and see if I can blag an iPhone 4 out of them to replace it - even if I have to pay a bit to upgrade.

The Blackberry Torch does look f*cking sexy.

I’ve had a number of BlackBerrys for work over the years and have had a Torch since October. As with all BlackBerrys, it is fantastic for email and BlackBerry Messenger is great if you have other friends that use it. The built in browser has always been gash and the while the OS6 (latest BB OS used in Torch etc.) browser is light years ahead of previous attempts and based on WebKit, it is still pretty gash. Main issue is how laggy and slow it is. It does the job but can be pretty frustrating. There are some ok apps but don’t expect to see any stunning 3d games on a BB. On the plus side, it is very easy to use and battery life is great.

Suggest you have a look at a Windows Phone 7. Have had one for a couple of months and on the whole, it is stunning. The platform is still very new and a little rough round the edges but I’ve had no major problems. Everyone that has seen mine has been amazed including iPhone owners. I’ve got a HTC HD7 but all the models seem pretty similar, depends what network you are on. I got mine on O2 PAYG and use GiffGaff.

Rumours are iphone5 to arrive in the summer but to be honest if you wait around for each new one to come out you would never buy one! I got an iphone4 a few months ago and love it. I think BB are perhpas a bit better for business use but for apps, net, games etc.. the Iphone4 is brilliant.

Rumours are iphone5 to arrive in the summer but to be honest if you wait around for each new one to come out you would never buy one! I got an iphone4 a few months ago and love it. I think BB are perhpas a bit better for business use but for apps, net, games etc.. the Iphone4 is brilliant.

Exactly. An iPhone 4 on an 18 month contract this month will mean you should be first in the queue for the 6th gen in summer 2013. Thats my rationale... maybe. Still torn between Apple and Android...

Why on earth pay that for one?!

I've got a Blackberry for work and an iPhone for personal stuff. Blackberry would gather dust if I didn't use it for work.

Flat rate for a handset.... no contract. In context, on my iPhone 4 contract I am paying £1,000 over two years. If he goes with a simpler tarrif he could easily save 200 pounds or more in that time.

SIM free iPhone at £505 (£499 pre-VAT increase) is the best way to go. No 18m/24m contract, choose your own SIM only deal (cashback via Quidco etc) and be free to switch between telecos if a better deal comes up to suit you or if your needs change.

I pay £20/mth on O2 for 600mins, 1200 texts and TRULY unlimited Data (I've used 1.23GB in this period with 11 days of my billing month still to go, so work out the excess data charges with Voda/Orange etc!) I could get it a little cheaper with GiffGaff, but can't be bothered to switch.

I have a spare Orange PAYG SIM that I stick in for Orange Wednesday deals and when travelling abroad you're able to source the best local SIM deal to stick in for the duration of your stay to avoid hefty call/data charges.

Plus, the handset is factory unlocked and at any time it will achieve a greater resale value than a contract/locked one.

A SIM-free iPhone is easily the best option, but I can understand those that plump for a contract deal - despite the restrictions - if they can't afford the initial outlay.

^ that.

I don't understand how peoples minds work. My friend was like :o you spent £500 on it?

He spends £45 a month out for half what I get for 24 months. = £1080

I spent £505 on the phone, £20 for what Ess gets (Not unlimited data :() = £985 + £50 cash back on Quidco. I get more for my money and can get out of my contract whenever I like!

There isn't really THAT much between it - but I'm still getting more for my money! I like the idea of getting a £500 bill out the way rather than paying £45 a month for the next 24 months too!

SIM free iPhone at £505 (£499 pre-VAT increase) is the best way to go. No 18m/24m contract, choose your own SIM only deal (cashback via Quidco etc) and be free to switch between telecos if a better deal comes up to suit you or if your needs change.

I pay £20/mth on O2 for 600mins, 1200 texts and TRULY unlimited Data (I've used 1.23GB in this period with 11 days of my billing month still to go, so work out the excess data charges with Voda/Orange etc!) I could get it a little cheaper with GiffGaff, but can't be bothered to switch.

I have a spare Orange PAYG SIM that I stick in for Orange Wednesday deals and when travelling abroad you're able to source the best local SIM deal to stick in for the duration of your stay to avoid hefty call/data charges.

Plus, the handset is factory unlocked and at any time it will achieve a greater resale value than a contract/locked one.

A SIM-free iPhone is easily the best option, but I can understand those that plump for a contract deal - despite the restrictions - if they can't afford the initial outlay.

Only Three offer all you can eat data on the one plan best thing i did move from o2 to three iphone works ten times better faster speeds and belive it or not coverage !!