Converting VHS to dvd/any electronic format

Clapham Saint

Does anybody know the best way to convert VHS tapes?

Mrs CS has **** loads of old tapes that she wants to convert. We can get them done by taking them down to the local camera shop but that will cost a small fortune. There must be some gizmo which I can use to do it for (close to) free?

I've found this but the site looks pretty basic and I'm a sceptic...

EDIT: or this?

Edited by Clapham Saint

Clappers, I have a 'Sony RDR-VX410 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo' machine that once set up does the job just fine, if you can find one I would recomend it my friend.

None currently on ebay unfortunately but imho that would do the job.

If you have no joy or better suggestions/offers I am more than willing to lend it to you for a week or two, you would of course have to collect from my home, that way I could run you through the set-up and wiring etc. Return could be done at a home match if that suits.

I would need to hold you to the two week max lend i am afraid as mrs h would go nuts if she had to go too long without watching Shirley Valentine...just one more time.

NB

You need to make sure that you use the correct DVD format, don;t assume that they are all the same, I did this and had copied quite a few hours worth before realising that they wouldn't playback on all other machines.

Brilliant. Thanks Hammy.

I'll check how many she actually wants to convert (she has a well over 100) to see how long it will take and make sure we can get them done in time.

How long does it take to copy? Does it run at playing speed or a little quicker?

Edited by Clapham Saint

Brilliant. Thanks Hammy.

I'll check how many she actually wants to convert (she has a well over 100) to see how long it will take and make sure we can get them done in time.

How long does it take to copy? Does it run at playing speed or a little quicker?

Best work on actual running time of the original video I'd suggest Clapham.

I can move the bedroom player downstairs if you think you'll need more time but as long as I know how long for it's your's to borrow.

What you can do though is set the record to get more play time on each DVD, affects playback quality quite a bit though.

btw, we live in bassett and I'm out quite early and back late for the Blackpool game.

you can buy a USB convertor pretty easily from most computer stores - you just need a PC to plug it in to. The other end plug into the AV connections on your VHS. You can then capture the video digitally on your PC. It takes time to do the conversion as its done in real time.

you can buy a USB convertor pretty easily from most computer stores - you just need a PC to plug it in to. The other end plug into the AV connections on your VHS. You can then capture the video digitally on your PC. It takes time to do the conversion as its done in real time.

Do you have any experience of any good ones? It turns out that Mrs CS wants to convert ALL her tapes so it may take her (although no doubt it will end up being me) quite a while.

Try this one on firebox. Whilst I've not bought this yet, I've got plenty of other stuff from their site, they have some great stuff on there. I got a cassette thingy to convert all my rave tapes, but just never got around to it yet.

But this is the vidio converter they do........

http://www.firebox.com/product/2605/U-Record-Video-Converter?via=ser

oooooooooooh you can even use it to copy things from sky+ to your pc, wish I had know that a few weeks ago before I moved house.

Edited by Spudders
added sky+ bit