XP Re-Install disc please

hamster

Hi, I want to re-install windows XP on mrs h's laptop.

The proper method is to hit F8 on startup and select the 'repair' (or similar option, however this is available only once and having used it many moons ago I am a bit stuck.

She's had so many problems recently so if anyone has a spare XP disc that I can cadge I would be most grateful please.

btw, all files backed up and ready to go.

cheers

h

Ps

can collect anywhere southampton/eastleigh

Bump

Correction: It's Vista that we require, sorry.

To fix this you will need an installation disc, ANY installation disc, as long as it does not say VISTA anywhere on it; ( a LINUX variety for preference, though Win7 or WinXP, or even SOLARIS will do ). Power on the PC, insert the CD, and follow the installation instructions, paying particular attention to the bit that says "are you sure you want to overwrite the existing operating system ?".

The problem will be solved in about 10 minutes.

^

It maybe the man flu but not sure that makes sense!?

Too late mate, 'borrowed' one from work and ran it. All well re windows however I don't think there are any Dell drivers etc on the machine now, damnit. Not recognising the wi-fi or ethernet thingies, spun mrs h a line and told her to use mine until i sort it out which should be in rim e for her to facebook everyone a happy new year.

Just about to d/l the driver, apps etc pack from the Dell site onto a stick and hope it sorts itsel. Fingers crossed she it might even get the webcam to work at long last.

Sorry for not responding sooner and thanks everso for the kind offer Baj.

Now sorted as I used a mem stick to sort the Ethernet post and then ran the Windows and Dell Download managers to find the missing bits.

Still no cam though so I suspect a loose connection inside.

I am quite interested in this Ubuntu OS of which people speak and may give it a whirl next time my laptop throws a wobbly. fwiw I have started to use OpenOffice as often as I can and am finding it a great resource, only a couple of files that haven't converted properly but not that difficult to resolve. Actually it has been suggested by a few people at Hants CC that the council makes the move to OpenOffice too, I really hope they do as it must cost us tax payers a small fortune to buy the MS licence for the thousands of machines that they run.

...................... fwiw I have started to use OpenOffice as often as I can and am finding it a great resource, only a couple of files that haven't converted properly but not that difficult to resolve. Actually it has been suggested by a few people at Hants CC that the council makes the move to OpenOffice too, I really hope they do as it must cost us tax payers a small fortune to buy the MS licence for the thousands of machines that they run.

About £120 per client licence for MS OFFICE, more if they use OUTLOOK and EXCHANGE for e-mail; I've made the same suggestion at work.

About £120 per client licence for MS OFFICE, more if they use OUTLOOK and EXCHANGE for e-mail; I've made the same suggestion at work.

HCC's Big Idea by any chance?

their were some very good suggestions put forward along with the predictable 'cut the directors salary' ones. That was not me btw, i want them culled, they really do imho cost too much by vurtue of there being so many of them not because of the salaries alone. Additionally, by default far too many frontline staff are accountable to too many layers of management.

Re the office package that is quite frighteneing tbh. I work partly in an online centre and 50% of the 16 pc's now run OpenOffice the others will be done shorty, that was my own personal contribution to the deficit, thankfully me and my colleague in there are accountable to our su's and not the person/persons who 'negotiate' the deal for staff ;-)

HCC will never go to OpenOffice. We asked and they said it wasn't 'on the roadmap'. They still push out Office 2000 ffs.

Don't get me started on HCC and IT Services......

Why do you think that is stevo? I have my own opinion on the matter but they are quite cynical tbh.

Laziness. And the 'stand still aint broke dont touch it' local govt attitude. The same as still pushing IE6......

They hide behind 'r+d' and implementation costs etc but Virtualisation makes it so damn easy these days.....

Most of my comments on this subject are very very cynical btw....not really for a public forum

Laziness. And the 'stand still aint broke dont touch it' local govt attitude. The same as still pushing IE6......

They hide behind 'r+d' and implementation costs etc but Virtualisation makes it so damn easy these days.....

Most of my comments on this subject are very very cynical btw....not really for a public forum

Upgraded just before christmas I think, they now have tabbed browsing. There is even a proper Google search box on the home page now too!

Maybe they sigend a longer term agreement than they should have? Still no reason not to change to a freebie, albeit one that they should morally perhaps make a financila contribution towards.

Obviously I am not talking about HCC here; I wonder if there are any multi billion pound businesses out there who employ IT people who might be a little out of touch with current systems but are happy to stay in-situ costing their company hunderds of thou in wasted time waiting for pages to load? I know one organisation (NOT HCC I stress) who block users from searching 'Images' as people might view naughty stuff, now even I could get around that one if I needed to; maybe for teaching someone how to make a simple greetings card for example.

Don't lump us all into the same pot, but I accept there's a degree of top managers playing things safe. It's a variation on the old "Nobody got sacked for buying IBM" mantra, only now the safe path is to stick with Micro$haft. We have at least moved the majority of our systems to CITRIX running on top of VMWare - can't abide Terminal Services. The biggest balony excuse for not using open source that I come up against is the 'cost' of retraining - the 'great unwashed' user population can't cope with change apparently.