Virgin Media netgear rourter

mightysaints

I recently upgraded from 10 to 20 meg BB. Virgin sent me a new combined Netgear router. The wireless is fine but i decided that as we have a number of wireless laptops etc it would be better if the desktop was hardwired and its the furthest away. Problem i have is that it takes ages for the internet to work on the desktop. It sees the rouer straight away on boot up but says its unidentified and i cannot get the net. After a while it then says identifying and then reconises the netgear unit so that i can get on the net. Quite often i have to re boot the router when the desktop is on and then i get a connection but this is a pain as the wireless is working OK but this does not always cure the problem

Any ideas to the problem would be greatfully recieved as i don't want to phone VM just yet as their customer servises are hopeless.

I am pluged into the the ethernet, was working fine last night even afte a few boot ups, it saw he conection and logged onto the net ok. This morning turned on the PC and have the same problem. 1st thing i have to do is turn the conection to local but it still does not reconise the router.Will get a new network card today

I thought going hard wired would be easy and is always on. The port is lit on the router when i plug in, will try the laptop tonight as i have a spare short lead at home

In think its the network card on the PC, pluged the laptop into another port via a cable with no problems, conected straight away. I then took it the laptop upstairs and unpluged the desktop that still wasn't connected and used the same cable, it connected straight away so its not the cable or the router so it must be the network unit on the desktop. Its part of the motherboard so would i be right in disabling the unit in systems and then installing another one in a spare PCI slot. Also even when the desktop did connect the lights on the back never lit up.