Breaking news - HM Treasury buys a stake in Saints

1976_Child

is the whole lse titz up or is it just the slh page, just been on and the usual can't cope msg "this page ...... down due to high demand etc" is posted?

Too much demand, people getting all excited about the nosedive "the markets" are taking..again.most of them haven't even got any investments, they're just information junkies. We haven't had masses of trades today (SLH) price is about 26.50 for "big small deals(8200)" and 24p for piddly amounts.

is the whole lse titz up or is it just the slh page, just been on and the usual can't cope msg "this page ...... down due to high demand etc" is posted?

The market ticker on the BBC Business page doesn't work for the FTSE although it does for the Dow, Nasdaq etc.

Could be volume or maybe the market is suspended :shock:

The market ticker on the BBC Business page doesn't work for the FTSE although it does for the Dow, Nasdaq etc.

Could be volume or maybe the market is suspended :shock:

That's because the values are careering crazily again today. The Dow is like a yo-yo, down 4.5% ,down 2%,down 3% down 2.5% etc, evidently desperate attempts are being made to shore it up (above 8000) but when the bad news comes in about credit swaps (or whatever) later on it will go down like a lead fish.

I mean it's sad for people who are losing money but it justifies the action of certain (like me ) people who, don't have anything, don't owe anything (except for a fully paid up old house) and have had to say "I couldn't get time off this year" (instead of I can't afford flash holidays) when everybody else is talking about their 2 months safari in West Africa or whatever.

10/10/2008

Roman Abramovich has lost £12 billion on the Russian stock exchange, it was revealed today. The owner of Chelsea FC has seen his fortune dwindle as Russia's Micex Index has gone into freefall. The decline in value of two of his companies on the Moscow-based index, steel maker Evraz and mining company Highland Gold, has left the 41 year-old tycoon $20.3 billion (£11.9 billion) out of pocket. The staggering loss was revealed today by analysts who said it represented a decline in the equity value of traded companies. bramovich's woes come on a disastrous financial day for London's Premiership football clubs with the owners of Arsenal and West Ham also suffering.Arsenal FC's part owner Alisher Usmanov has lost £7 billion ($11.7 billion) on the Micex index which has declined 61 percent since its peak in May and was closed today for the second time this week. The metals and mining mogul and Abramovich are part of a list of 25 Russian oligarch's who have lost £140 billion ($238 billion) on the Micex index. The country's ailing economy has also been hit by war with Georgia and foreign capitalists withdrawing billions of pounds worth of investment from a nation facing a period of instability.West Ham were plunged further into crisis as it was revealed that the east London club's Icelandic owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson is considering selling the club after losing £230 million in the country's own economic crash. Abramovich's unprecedented loss will set alarm bells ringing in the football world and the City. It comes after Chelsea chairman, Bruce Buck suggested this week that the club could sell players to survive the financial turmoil. He said: “Even with a benefactor like Roman Abramovich, if we think revenues are going to go down a bit we have to look at our expense side to look for areas where it is appropriate for us to save money. That's actually a process we are engaged with at the moment.”

10/10/2008

Roman Abramovich has lost £12 billion on the Russian stock exchange, it was revealed today. The owner of Chelsea FC has seen his fortune dwindle as Russia's Micex Index has gone into freefall. The decline in value of two of his companies on the Moscow-based index, steel maker Evraz and mining company Highland Gold, has left the 41 year-old tycoon $20.3 billion (£11.9 billion) out of pocket. The staggering loss was revealed today by analysts who said it represented a decline in the equity value of traded companies. bramovich's woes come on a disastrous financial day for London's Premiership football clubs with the owners of Arsenal and West Ham also suffering.Arsenal FC's part owner Alisher Usmanov has lost £7 billion ($11.7 billion) on the Micex index which has declined 61 percent since its peak in May and was closed today for the second time this week. The metals and mining mogul and Abramovich are part of a list of 25 Russian oligarch's who have lost £140 billion ($238 billion) on the Micex index. The country's ailing economy has also been hit by war with Georgia and foreign capitalists withdrawing billions of pounds worth of investment from a nation facing a period of instability.West Ham were plunged further into crisis as it was revealed that the east London club's Icelandic owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson is considering selling the club after losing £230 million in the country's own economic crash. Abramovich's unprecedented loss will set alarm bells ringing in the football world and the City. It comes after Chelsea chairman, Bruce Buck suggested this week that the club could sell players to survive the financial turmoil. He said: “Even with a benefactor like Roman Abramovich, if we think revenues are going to go down a bit we have to look at our expense side to look for areas where it is appropriate for us to save money. That's actually a process we are engaged with at the moment.”

trouble is one really big club in trouble will lead to a sharp fall in player values (similar to that in Italy a couple of seasons ago). They won't be able to sell their way out of it unless there is a buyer at current market value.A "big" club will crash one day (hope it's soon) and football will become football again.In any case (from what I've heard) UEFA are determined that the Champion's League with 3 clubs from one nation in the semis will soon be a thing of the past.

Sometimes I hate the fact that I try and look at things logically. It occassionally throws up moments of horrific clarity, that truly need a warped sense of humour to find amusing.

So here we are at the end of a week that has seen the world just about collapse around us. Panic has set in, people are buying Mackerel instead of Tuna and eating pigs trotters instead of Organic Prime Ribs. The banks won't lend to each other let alone us car buyers. 20% of my savings have simply vanished into thin air and Sky have seen their profits drop from something like 700mil to about 70mil

And here we are having spent most of the past months complaining about Southampton undergoing cost-cutting regimes, dumping expensive journeymen and employing nobody cheapies. Everything has been about living within our means and surviving the season financially.

And suddenly, the whole damned PLANET is trying to do the same darned thing.

Yikes - I know that Rupe's wanted to be a football visionary with his "total academy to first team" football, but I NEVER imagined he'd be the one to see the impending global train wreck and suddenly be remembered as the FIRST to TRY and show the other Football Chairmen how to cope......

Damn ain't it funny how history COULD work....

(winky ironic smiley thingy)