Breaking news - HM Treasury buys a stake in Saints

1976_Child

You heard it here first! HM Treasury (aka the government) now has an involvement in our football club!

"What? eh? 1976_Child is a nutter!" I hear you all say

Well, let me explain. Unless you have been living on Mars over the last few days you will know that the government has just bought a huge slug in our nation's banks. Barclays is one of these banks. And SFC owes a shed load of dosh to Barclays, and now to HM Treasury. So although the Treasury does not (yet) own shares in Southampton Leisure Holdings plc it does own shares in Barclays and therefore has St Mary's stadium as collateral against the club's debt.

weird times. as a tax payer i demand free beer at the next home game!!

You heard it here first! HM Treasury (aka the government) now has an involvement in our football club!

Well, let me explain. Unless you have been living on Mars over the last few days you will know that the government has just bought a huge slug in our nation's banks. Barclays is one of these banks. And SFC owes a shed load of dosh to Barclays, and now to HM Treasury. So although the Treasury does not (yet) own shares in Southampton Leisure Holdings plc it does own shares in Barclays and therefore has St Mary's stadium as collateral against the club's debt.

St Mary's is owned by Aviva. Much of Aviva's investment funds are in Government Bonds. It is that money that is being lent to the Banks.

So AVIVA own part of the Government who own part of the Banks who own part of our debt.

And as AVIVA is my pension provider and using my funds to buy Government Bonds I own part of SMS so 1976_Child you should be buying me a beer.

St Mary's is owned by Aviva

since when? it still shows as an asset on the balance sheet, as of last annual report.

and also the money being used to buy the banks' shares is new bond issues so unless aviva buys direct from the primary market they won't yet own any of the bonds being used to buy the banks. so i don't owe you a beer ;)

since when? it still shows as an asset on the balance sheet, as of last annual report.

and also the money being used to buy the banks' shares is new bond issues so unless aviva buys direct from the primary market they won't yet own any of the bonds being used to buy the banks. so i don't owe you a beer ;)

OK Mortgaged to AVIVA then. Same thing really

Anyway,and you're going to have to take my word for this, 4 million isn't exactly a "shedload" of cash to Barclay's Bank PLC. a very small thimblefuil perhaps, shedload no.There are probably hundreds of trades every day where they would reasonably have expected to make that sum in about 2 nanoseconds.

Aren't Barclays leaving Barclays House?

That was the plan - were moving to a new build (being built by Walmart) but the current financial issue meant that Walmart would need to pay more for the loan to build the building and tried to pass that cost to Barclays.

Staying at Barclays House now - they are talking of renovating.

Brilliant! Where did you find it?

The internet

Sorry....sarky answer.....slap on wrist....just type in "nutter sign post" in Google and Bob's your Uncle. I'm thinking of going on Britain's Got Talent next year.

St Mary's is owned by Aviva. Much of Aviva's investment funds are in Government Bonds. It is that money that is being lent to the Banks.

So AVIVA own part of the Government who own part of the Banks who own part of our debt.

And as AVIVA is my pension provider and using my funds to buy Government Bonds I own part of SMS so 1976_Child you should be buying me a beer.

No wonder you know what's going on Ron.

Sure you don't mean Activa ????? ........... you know, the stuff that helps you to S**t ????

Knowing our luck we will have breached some league rule as a result and will be docked 10 points.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/paulkelso/3161332/Sport-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-Sport.html

It ain't looking good out there in la-la land

and as for West Ham....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/3168202/West-Ham-feeling-the-big-freeze-Football.html

51 mil in debt to Icelandic Banks

oops - guess the local councils will be round to get their money back

Lee Bowyer sweeping the streets in Ealing

lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/paulkelso/3161332/Sport-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-Sport.html

It ain't looking good out there in la-la land

and as for West Ham....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/3168202/West-Ham-feeling-the-big-freeze-Football.html

51 mil in debt to Icelandic Banks

oops - guess the local councils will be round to get their money back

Lee Bowyer sweeping the streets in Ealinglol

Perhaps a part time job in Mcdonalds?

There are so many wasted threads on here. All together they make an emperor's suit of clothes. And Lowe is wearing it.

Wasted is a strange word to use really. It means that they take up space and use ressources that could be used more productively. They aren't wasted, they're just pointless or useless.