Can we trust jan to keep us up?

SaintMike

After one match we think we are set for the play-offs.........after the next we seem certainties for relegation. There seems no stability at the moment.

Do you think Jan is good for the club or was his appointment a mistake?

Edited by SaintMike

If people are able to look at more than one game at a time, then clearly yes. We aren't in the relegation zone, and our last five games have been two wins, two draws and a defeat.

If we accept that our target for the season is to stay up, then you'd have to say we are on our way to achieving that goal.

No, but I dont blame him for that.

Why do you keep saying stuff like that? Jan took the job. I'm pretty sure he's got broad enough shoulders to take the rough with the smooth...

Poor Jan...didn't know what he was getting into...he's only a simpleton...

That evil Rupert Lowe though...ooh he knew what he was doing...he's thrown him to the lions in his bid to see Saints get relegated...he does stuff like that because it's to his benefit...

At times during the first half, we were playing some good football and we were passing it around Coventry with ease. Unfortunately, we don't have a goalscorer to convert our chances and we are attrocious at the back. Lloyd James and David McGoldrick were our worst players on Saturday, IMO, and they are playing in the positions we need the most help in.

Hopefully, and I am hopeful, Jan will bring in some experience at the back and someone who can convert chances. Why not venture abroad to find a striker and a full back? Maybe do a Dave Jones and find the next Marian Pahars?

After one match we think we are set for the play-offs.........after the next we seem certainties for relegation.

Then we'll end up in mid-table. Sorted.

Maybe do a Dave Jones and find the next Marian Pahars?

Aye, that'd be a piece of p*ss ;)

After one match we think we are set for the play-offs.........after the next we seem certainties for relegation. There seems no stability at the moment.

And so it wasn't like this last season then?

At the moment the reactions are much more polarised, more because there are far fewer posters these days. With only a regular 100 or so on-line you have a narrower band of positions held by everyone.

The real difference this year is the fact that we all realise that we're "extremely shaky" and hoping to survive rather than the "we are a PL club" attitude that we had for the previous 3 years. We have NEARLY lost all hope, we just want to see that spark hence the mood swings

Just be grateful for one thing - we don't support the Spuds right now!

Strange thread. If by 'we can't trust Jan to keep us up' you mean 'is it guaranteed we wont go down?' no we can't trust him. Nor could we trust Wenger, Morinho, Capello, Nigel Pearson or even my mum.

If the question is is it likely he'll make a decent fist of working at the job in hand I'd argue on the basis of the season so far you'd have to say yes.

Would anyone lese do better. We can't know.

Amongst the fanbase, that has no bearing on the job the manager is doing.

Why do you keep saying stuff like that? Jan took the job. I'm pretty sure he's got broad enough shoulders to take the rough with the smooth...

That evil Rupert Lowe though...ooh he knew what he was doing...he's thrown him to the lions in his bid to see Saints get relegated...he does stuff like that because it's to his benefit...

Well said.

Nor could we trust Wenger, Morinho, Capello, Nigel Pearson or even my mum.
I trust your mum.

I think we will have a better idea by Christmas whether Jan has what it takes to be a successful manager at CCC level.

True, Jan might have accepted a job where he has one arm tied behind his back, and he is responsible for making that decision and the personal and professional consequences thereof, but the thing many of us are questioning are the motives of the person imposing the restriction, and whether it truly is the only option.

And if we can bring in new members to an already congested midfield squad, and even loanee strikers to supplant our 20 goal a season international bench warmer, why can't anybody at the club, including the manager - an ex-defender with world cup final experience, sort out the defence ? In a period of team and confidence building, that is the main area where you need cool and experienced heads to guide the young-bloods.

True, Jan might have accepted a job where he has one arm tied behind his back, and he is responsible for making that decision and the personal and professional consequences thereof, but the thing many of us are questioning are the motives of the person imposing the restriction, and whether it truly is the only option.

And if we can bring in new members to an already congested midfield squad, and even loanee strikers to supplant our 20 goal a season international bench warmer, why can't anybody at the club, including the manager - an ex-defender with world cup final experience, sort out the defence ? In a period of team and confidence building, that is the main area where you need cool and experienced heads to guide the young-bloods.

What's that got to do with what i said?

Quit the hysterical fish-wife malarkey.

How about he simply underestimated how diffifcult the task would be ?

How about he hasnt had the lattitude for loans he expected because Lowe failed to shift all the high-earners he intended, or because attendances have dropped more than expected ?

Grow up, FFS.

Quit the hysterical fish-wife malarkey.

How about he simply underestimated how diffifcult the task would be ?

How about he hasnt had the lattitude for loans he expected because Lowe failed to shift all the high-earners he intended, or because attendances have dropped more than expected ?

Grow up, FFS.

Typical rude response...maybe you should take a look at yourself...

1) there was nothing hysterical about my post...if you like i can post definitions of both hystercial and deluded and then you can use then correctly without making a t:t out of yourself...

2) grow up? what exactly are you getting at? i can be a lot more frivolous than that...the point i made was perfectly valid...

I do not believe for a second that Jan has been given a bum steer by anyone...he was well aware of the situation from the start as you will conclude if you actually go back and read his early interviews...it was always the intention to play a youthful side...something which you fail to understand...

If anything he's had a lot more freedom in the transfer market than any of us expected. But let's forget about that shall we...makes it much easier to give Rupert Lowe a good bashing...

I think he can keep us up we are on a massive learning curve with young inexperienced players but I think its lower mid table for us he has a huge amount of work to do defensively we are way to open but I like the passing Football and a couple of games we have looked like a good side the CCC is a tough league and we are in for a bumpy ride

Don't think we have a choice really!

Although I am confident we won't go down this season, in fact I'll be surprised if we're in a relegation battle next year as we were earlier this year. Ok we had a slightly better start last season but it just got worse and worse and the players lost all hope, interest and ambition pretty quickly. This time I think there will be ups and downs but I can see the team improving as the season progresses.

it was always going to be a rollercoaster ride (always has been supporting saints) but i think we will avoid relegation,which on the whole will be a result that most of us would have taken at the start of the season.

JP seems a good man and seems to want the team to play a bit of footie,he obviously wouldnt have been the choice of 99.99999% of the fanbase but we have got what we have got and we have to make the best of a bad situation we find ourselves in.

if the worst happens and we do get relegated then JP's contribution to our downfall will be minimal as there are other,more serious factors that have dragged us down,things that are out of JP's control and that have been present long before he arrived.

so overall i think JP is doing a fair job under difficult circumstances,a job which would test even the best managers in the world.

At times during the first half, we were playing some good football and we were passing it around Coventry with ease. Unfortunately, we don't have a goalscorer to convert our chances and we are attrocious at the back. Lloyd James and David McGoldrick were our worst players on Saturday, IMO, and they are playing in the positions we need the most help in.

Hopefully, and I am hopeful, Jan will bring in some experience at the back and someone who can convert chances. Why not venture abroad to find a striker and a full back? Maybe do a Dave Jones and find the next Marian Pahars?

During that period (the first 18 minutes) I don't remember us creating one chance.

Its good to see some balanced posts on here. Yes this will be a season of ups and downs but there is a good spirit is in the team, unlike last year and these young players can only get better.

I see us avoiding relegation but there will be disappointments along the way. The defence does need tightening up though and I do think Lloyd James should be getting more protection.

Typical rude response...maybe you should take a look at yourself...

1) there was nothing hysterical about my post...if you like i can post definitions of both hystercial and deluded and then you can use then correctly without making a t:t out of yourself...

2) grow up? what exactly are you getting at? i can be a lot more frivolous than that...the point i made was perfectly valid...

I do not believe for a second that Jan has been given a bum steer by anyone...he was well aware of the situation from the start as you will conclude if you actually go back and read his early interviews...it was always the intention to play a youthful side...something which you fail to understand...

If anything he's had a lot more freedom in the transfer market than any of us expected. But let's forget about that shall we...makes it much easier to give Rupert Lowe a good bashing...

So, if your post was a shining beacon of balance, please explain who by and where JP has been called a simpleton on this site. All I said I was I wouldnt blame him, because I think he has nigh-well impossible task. I have no idea what in that comment sparked your umbrage and uppitiness...

But I do agree on one thing. Lowe bashing is great fun and should be done at the slightest excuse, cos he's a ***T.

So, if your post was a shining beacon of balance, please explain who by and where JP has been called a simpleton on this site. All I said I was I wouldnt blame him, because I think he has nigh-well impossible task. I have no idea what in that comment sparked your umbrage and uppitiness...

But I do agree on one thing. Lowe bashing is great fun and should be done at the slightest excuse, cos he's a ***T.

Arguing with you is like p:ssing in the wind...i'm not even sure you know what you stand for other than being a moaning minnie...

And at no point have i agreed with you that Lowe bashing is fun...personally i find it a little pointless at present...i happen to agree with his strategy which we are taking on the basis that it's one of very few available to us...i'm quite willing to put my feelings towards him from the past to one side and move on...it's called being a grown up...remember telling me to grow up?

Oh and once again my post was neither hysterical or uppity...i don't reserve such feelings for a muppet such as yourself...as your one step away from being a Scooby like caricature...and as such if you actually read the post you will see that i am mocking you...

Mocking your artificial concern for Jan's position (how sorry you feel for him as he doesn't know what he's got himself into) which is merely another attempt to slowly undermine the man before you really get into panning him in a few weeks/months time...baby steps eh? Don't want to lose all credibility by slating him straight away after all do you?

However our manager is right now would have a tough job. This is not about the short term, it is about the long term, but how many fans have any patience beyond the next half a dozen games?

Whether you agree with the building on youth strategy or not, I don't see that we have much option. With little money available for new signings JP has to build for the future with what he has and he needs support whilst doing so.

Whether he succeeds are not, only time will tell, but I think it is way to early to make any judgements yet. On the up side he does want his sides to play football whereas we could easliy have ended up with someone who just wanted to lump the ball forwar. That is the easy and quick option.

As Burley found, it is not easy to get you teams to keep the ball on the ground and play when there is so much at stake. JPs sides seem to want to do that, so perhaps if he can keep working on the football ethic hopefully it will all come right at some point.

One thing is for sure, it certainly isn't going to happen overnight or anytime soon.

I'm still dubious about going with the youth although the idea is laudable (if not very risky). I'm not sure that Jan has got to grips with English football to be honest and he will need more time. Whatever happens is not really down to the players because, like the manager, they have been thrown in at the deep end. I reckon that Jan was 'sold' the job and the idea appealed to his footballing principles.

Will it work?

Sadly I don't think so.

Arguing with you is like p:ssing in the wind...i'm not even sure you know what you stand for other than being a moaning minnie...

And at no point have i agreed with you that Lowe bashing is fun...personally i find it a little pointless at present...i happen to agree with his strategy which we are taking on the basis that it's one of very few available to us...i'm quite willing to put my feelings towards him from the past to one side and move on...it's called being a grown up...remember telling me to grow up?

Oh and once again my post was neither hysterical or uppity...i don't reserve such feelings for a muppet such as yourself...as your one step away from being a Scooby like caricature...and as such if you actually read the post you will see that i am mocking you...

Mocking your artificial concern for Jan's position (how sorry you feel for him as he doesn't know what he's got himself into) which is merely another attempt to slowly undermine the man before you really get into panning him in a few weeks/months time...baby steps eh? Don't want to lose all credibility by slating him straight away after all do you?

Rant, rant, rant. Christ this is tedious..........

I feel sorry for him, and wont blame him when it goes tits-up.

My opinion, freely expressed.

F**king deal with it.

Rant, rant, rant. Christ this is tedious..........

I feel sorry for him, and wont blame him when it goes tits-up.

My opinion, freely expressed.

F**king deal with it.

The very definition of a rant...

Owned.

And not for the first time...

You're skills are weak old man...

The very definition of a rant...

Owned.

And not for the first time...

You're skills are weak old man...

No, cutting off an extremely tedious and circular argument where all you have done is abuse me for my opinion.

As for the "owned" comment, all you've done is show yourself up as a bit of a sad troll playing a game.

No school today ?

Really can't be bothered....i've made my feelings known...

You're one of the reasons i can't be bothered to post on the main board too often these days Alpine...i consider you a cancer on this site...eating it up from the inside...

I lost all respect for you the time you tried to tell me you can get a better view of a game by watching it on tv than being their in person...

It showed how utterly clueless you are when it comes to the subject of football...

You're one of the reasons i can't be bothered to post on the main board too often these days Alpine...i consider you a cancer on this site...eating it up from the inside...

I lost all respect for you the time you tried to tell me you can get a better view of a game by watching it on tv than being their in person...

It showed how utterly clueless you are when it comes to the subject of football...

So clueless I predicted how last season would pan out up to one goal too many by SFC against Sheff Utd - starting from May 2007 when it was announced that Chris Baird was leaving and I started my "CB Watch" series...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well of course...Mystic Alpine mapped out the whole season including Burley going off to manage Scotland, Jason Dodd and John Gorman coming in and finally the appointment of Nigel Pearson...

Of course you were the harbinger of doom in the season we finished in the playoffs also...

Alpine Saint...the Saints Web Forum's very own soothsayer. We are so fortunate to have you...

Have a biscuit...

Scudamore mate, I don't have a view on who is right or wrong out you and Alpine and he can get up people's noses at times but can we make a point without using the word cancer? Not getting at you personally but I'm sure Seve Ballesteros's family would struggle to see a football club's woes as the same level of importance as the survival of a great human being.