what has my wife done to her laptop

Saint Keith

wifes laptop has stopped connecting to internet in the last couple of weeks. its seeing my network, but is showing limited/no connectivty. its says its not returning an ip address. ive checked the lan settings to automatic, and that they are exactly the same settings as mine, but no luck

ive checked my router and it says she is not connected. all 3 other laptops are connected fine

hers is using an intel 4965AGN wireless. i tried resetting everything to default as well, but no luck. its seems to have started when i switched her to chrome, but for some reason ie has been deleted so i cant roll back to that

needs some help on this one

Edited by Saint Keith

I assume the routers been hard rebooted. Tried safe mode with networking incase a program/service is blocking drivers??

Someone I know's PC had a virus once that all but uninstalled IE so that I was unable to download a repair program to get rid of the virus.

Could try setting the IP address manually if you know what address range the other devices are on...

Edited by Liquidshokk

• 2 weeks later...

ok, still got the same problem. i did the ipconfig renew bit, hasnt worked, ivve done a system restore on it back to september, whcih hasnt worked, apart from shes got ie back showing again

from what i can make out, it seems to be generating an ip address that isnt one that matches my router. ip adress on my netgear router are normally 192.168.0.1 to 6, but hers is showing something different. its a standard netgear router and all the other laptops are fine

any ideas on how i can get it to use the right ip address, or if there is any other problem?

edit. ip address showing on hers is 169.254.72.15 CONFUSED!