Kindle

revolution saint

thinking of getting one. Interested in the 3G version as the kindle includes a basic browser and appears to have effectively free world wide roaming once you have purchased upfront. Main problem on the book front is the sillyness that books don't have VAT added but ebooks do so the price of the ebooks on amazon are generally only a few pence below the hardback price. You can however get a large number of free books that are out of copyright for free.

thinking of getting one. Interested in the 3G version as the kindle includes a basic browser and appears to have effectively free world wide roaming once you have purchased upfront. Main problem on the book front is the sillyness that books don't have VAT added but ebooks do so the price of the ebooks on amazon are generally only a few pence below the hardback price. You can however get a large number of free books that are out of copyright for free.

I'm in the same position as you then. There are loads of "classics" which are free and I would take advantage of but the new bestsellers don't really offer too much of a discount. That said the format is appealing.

I reckon for under £150 the 3G Kindle is a bargain. The ability to subscribe to Magazines/Blogs, coupled with the ability for 3G downloads means that updates are just a couple of clicks away wherever you are.

Although you can Browse the internet and even play MP3s using the Beta version of the OS, the Kindle is best at just being a simple reading device. It works for me in my commute into London every day.

I'd like to thank all two responses, course now it's been moved to technology forum I don't expect anymore. Dopey mod clearly was incapable of reading or understanding the original post.

Dopey Admin moved this thread to the correct place. He also reads this forum regularly enough to know that a good amount of people read and responsd to this forum. Regularly enough to know that whilst the response count will be lower, the quality of replies will be higher, and regularly enough to read your sarcastic ****ing responses within 12 hours of you posting them.

I bought a kindle, and I am not a big book reader really. However on the train in the morning I like to get a half hour reading it. It simply is brilliant, I read far more now than ever before. New books can be pricey, but they don't have to be bought from amazon, Calibre is a easy piece of software that will convert any ebook into kindle format so you can get books from anywhere.

Yep got a Kindle 3 and love it. I travel a lot and used to buy a couple of airport editions every time I was at Heathrow. I have about 100 books on mine that I have downloaded from newsgroups, plus a few freebies from Amazon. Its not the same as holding a book but for convenience its great.

I have played with a Kindle - it's okay. Love the idea of e-readers, but I do find the Kindle a little plastic/cheap feeling.

I believe Samsung are (or may have just) brought out an e-reader.

Shame that a well know Scandinavian mobile phone manufacturer recently canned their e-reader project: despite being all lined up for a late Nov launch. Really good product too....

Sat next to a guy on an 8 hour flight last month. He was reading an "e-book" and I was listening to a talking book on my i-pod. I reclined the seat, sat back and relaxed. He was sat up, constantly twitching his finger on the screen and holding it up where he could see it. I know which one I'd rather have. I was considering an e-book thing before that, but not any more.

The only thing I find an audio book good for is sending me to sleep. I usually get as far as chapter 2 before nodding off, then wake at the last chapter. Much prefer the Kindle to Audio. With the kindle you can always turn on text to speech if you want to chill a little - although the voice is a bit Hawking