Nokia N8

Saint_Jonny

Anyone got one? Thinking of upgrading from my Nokia 5800, really enjoyed having this phone, with all the firmware upgrades its a good little phone to use. From what i've read the N8 is this format perfected.

On the flip side (and its a struggle for me to say this....) ive been looking at, you know, other smart phones, that aren't, erm, Nokia's. Wow, I said it! That was tough. Anyway, looking at these other devices, the overall impression I get is that the UI on Android and iOS devices is better than even the latest ^3 version of Symbian. From my point of view, I'm perfectly happy using a Symbian device, it suits me down to the ground, im a computer nerd, a programmer, a designer, the only thing I can see my self missing out on if I go for the N8 is the array of 3rd party apps available for Android and iPhone.

It is fantastic. Really good quality build, and enjoyable to use.

Camera is amazing, both for stills and video. The UI is fine: no issues at all with it. Only one thing that needs to be improved: the browser is not a slick/quick as it should be; the newer Nokia browser is on its way - imminently, and will be available as a free update.

On the apps front, the approach from Nokia is quality not quantity. Whilst there are thousands of apps on android/apple, the top apps count for most of the downloads. Nokia is bringing on the top ones, plus some impressive exclusives; and a load of new services. Playing Need for Speed on the N8, plugged straight into an HD TV with surround sound is one hell of an experience.

Plus you get free maps. I am about to sell my TomTom - it's now redendant.... bloody good navigation when you're walking too.

It is fantastic. Really good quality build, and enjoyable to use.

Camera is amazing, both for stills and video. The UI is fine: no issues at all with it. Only one thing that needs to be improved: the browser is not a slick/quick as it should be; the newer Nokia browser is on its way - imminently, and will be available as a free update.

On the apps front, the approach from Nokia is quality not quantity. Whilst there are thousands of apps on android/apple, the top apps count for most of the downloads. Nokia is bringing on the top ones, plus some impressive exclusives; and a load of new services. Playing Need for Speed on the N8, plugged straight into an HD TV with surround sound is one hell of an experience.

Where did you find that game then?

I currently have an N97. I have been a bit disappointed because the phone memory, as compared with the mass memory, is crap and the lack of responsiveness of the touch screen. I have been considering an Android phone (HTC) as my next choice, but if the N8 is that good, I might just change my mind!

I hear you on the phone memory / mass memory problem, its the same on the 5800. From what I can tell the mass memory and the phone memory on the N8 are one and the same, at least thats what I gather from looking at the spec sheet. Im pretty much sold on the N8 now... will have to go around the town and see who I can thrash the best deal out with, always room for a bit of bargaining in those mobile shops!

Picked up the N8 on monday, been using so far this week just for music / apps etc (number gets transferred today :))

Its a fantastic bit of kit, huge improvement over older versions of symbian, all the cables it comes bundled with are a nice plus, and the bundled headphones are hugely better than my £25 sony in ear headphones, which is a massive thumbs up to Nokia, usually the bundled stuff is a pile of crap.

Where did you find that game then?

Meant to post this earlier in the week, but my 3 a day limit, and busy work stopped me.......

Angry Birds and Need for Speed Shift are free with the phone. They will be shipped pre-installed on later releases, but for one reason or another they weren't on the first releases.

Go to Ovi Store - there is a widget for this on the phone. Ovi is Nokia's music/apps store.

Search for the games: download. You will need to download Need for Speed via wifi: it's a pretty heavy file. Great game. Search out Galaxy on Fire too: essentially Elite but with nice graphics.

Loads of games on there - some fun footie ones too.

Not surprisingly N8 sold more than any other phone in it's release week: it outsold the entire Win7 range 10:1.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to upgrade to an Android phone this month as amonst other things it has proper flash support (does it?). Looking at the spec for the N8 though it seems to also have flash support, is this right?

Yea, unlike the iPhone it has full flash support. I watched the world cup draw announcement on the desktop version of the bbc website today while sat in a pub (they didnt have it on the tv), played perfectly without a hich. You are never far from something to pass the time with the N8 in your hand :) Keeps surprising me even now i've had it for a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone got one? thinking of upgrading from my nokia 5800, really enjoyed having this phone, with all the firmware upgrades its a good little phone to use. From what i've read the n8 is this format perfected.

On the flip side (and its a struggle for me to say this....) ive been looking at, you know, other smart phones, that aren't, erm, nokia's. Wow, i said it! That was tough. Anyway, looking at these other devices, the overall impression i get is that the ui on android and ios devices is better than even the latest ^3 version of symbian. From my point of view, i'm perfectly happy using a symbian device, it suits me down to the ground, im a computer nerd, a programmer, a designer, the only thing i can see my self missing out on if i go for the n8 is the array of 3rd party apps available for android and iphone.

lollll.

I bought the 5800. I'd rather have been shot in the testicles.

I agree at launch it was a bit of a dog, but once a few firmware upgrades were released it was great to use.

From looking at that link barfy i can't see anything on there that the nexus S can do that the Nokia phone can't do. Its often the case that the nokia phones can do all of the things that its competitors can do, the stuff they brag and flaunt about, is all hidden under the hood of nokias past and present. I went and saw fatboy slim the other night, packed nightclub, and the photos and video I got out of the N8 were simply brilliant, worth thinking about if you like to snap lots of stuff while out and about.

I agree at launch it was a bit of a dog, but once a few firmware upgrades were released it was great to use.

From looking at that link barfy i can't see anything on there that the nexus S can do that the Nokia phone can't do. Its often the case that the nokia phones can do all of the things that its competitors can do, the stuff they brag and flaunt about, is all hidden under the hood of nokias past and present. I went and saw fatboy slim the other night, packed nightclub, and the photos and video I got out of the N8 were simply brilliant, worth thinking about if you like to snap lots of stuff while out and about.

Damn straight.

Did you know loads of the Nokia phones, including the N8, have an FM transmitter built in? So you can play tunes on the phone through your radio......Apple needs you to plug a dirty great transmitter.

Nokia are great at developing stuff, but have fallen down too many times in letting other manufacturers stake a claim, and therefore 'own' (i.e. be associated with) specific features.

I'm still loving the N8 too.

My N97 is driving me mad ATM. The "c memory full. Delete some data" keeps coming up. I have deleted various apps that were stored on that memory, keep clearing the cache form browsing and keep messages to a minimum. I don`t know what else to do. My e-mails have stopped coming because the memory is full. I`ll be glad when my contract is up!

Nokia N8 is the best mobile fone in the woooooooooooooooooooooorld, it has everything, but I struggle to make a fone call, it either keeps losing coverage or the conversation is very patchy. Had it replaced 3 times now and it hasn't solved the problem, what should I do? I am with Vodafone business.