X-Box 360 won't read game discs

doubleonothing

Bit of an annoying one really but my x-box 360 has now decided to stop reading game discs. It informs me that either the disc can't be read or that it is a DVD meaning that I can't play any games. I've tried quite a few discs but nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone had this problem or got any suggestions?

Cheers

OOO

I had a ps3, sold it after 6 months, the exclusive games arent much cop.

Anyway, disc drive failure is more common these days than the red rings o' death (RROD has been solved, not many of those boxes' knocking about these days). If your feeling handy you can get a new / refurbed drive off of ebay and swap it over yourself, pretty easy to do, just have to make sure you get a drive that matches your old one, as I believe there are 2 different types (ones made by one company and the other by another). Loads of guides if you get stuck, google is your friend. Will be alot cheaper than getting a ps3 / black dust gathering waste of time.

I had a ps3, sold it after 6 months, the exclusive games arent much cop.

Anyway, disc drive failure is more common these days than the red rings o' death (RROD has been solved, not many of those boxes' knocking about these days). If your feeling handy you can get a new / refurbed drive off of ebay and swap it over yourself, pretty easy to do, just have to make sure you get a drive that matches your old one, as I believe there are 2 different types (ones made by one company and the other by another). Loads of guides if you get stuck, google is your friend. Will be alot cheaper than getting a ps3 / black dust gathering waste of time.

Sorry Jonny, I know you mean well, but DONT follow this information.

There are 4 types of drive, and regardless, your xbox will be registered with xbox live with your cpu, motherboard and dvd drive serials. If you change ANY of these parts, then you will be banned from xbox live as having a faulty console. There *is* a way of overcoming this, but it is extremely technical and way beyond what its worth hassle wise, best bet is to pick up a 2nd hand xbox off ebay.

Sorry Jonny, I know you mean well, but DONT follow this information.

There are 4 types of drive, and regardless, your xbox will be registered with xbox live with your cpu, motherboard and dvd drive serials. If you change ANY of these parts, then you will be banned from xbox live as having a faulty console. There *is* a way of overcoming this, but it is extremely technical and way beyond what its worth hassle wise, best bet is to pick up a 2nd hand xbox off ebay.

Ouch, my bad! Best listen to Baj he seems to be a technical guru. For what its worth, I followed a guide on the net to change my own xbox drive, got the part numbers matched up and it worked fine, had no problems over a year later.

Not got any red lights. Eveything seems normal apart from when you try to start up a game.

PS3 may have to be a posibility!

Trouble is the disc error isn't exclusive to xbox either, I have the exact same issue with my PS3, it worked fine for a year or so and then just stopped reading any discs. It has been this way for over 18 months now and sits useless beneath my TV gathering dust.

I've been told that as it's out of warranty I could exchange it at a cost for a reconditioned model... not sure I'm happy with this either as mine is an earlier model with features not included on later ones. Maybe it will be my only option as at least a reconditioned one will work but would just prefer mine was fixed at an even smaller cost, but nowhere does this apparently :(

Ouch, my bad! Best listen to Baj he seems to be a technical guru. For what its worth, I followed a guide on the net to change my own xbox drive, got the part numbers matched up and it worked fine, had no problems over a year later.

If you're still on xbox live you're very VERY lucky

My 360 is also starting to do this, its on the odd occasion and only with MW2 though. Opening the disc tray and closing it again lets it play, but the edges of that game disc is slighty rough, almost like they are melted? Any connection?