House I rent out in Southampton

Dr Who?

How is paying your brother to come and fix something which means he has to travel a long way comparable to enquiring if someone in the local area would mind popping Down and doing a job which presumably would not take very long? Bloody hell I wouldn't like to ask you for a favour! I bet plumbers are outraged at all these do gooders depriving them of work. I lifted a washing machine up a flight of stairs for my mum's business last week, should I have paid her for my time?

Will you do some work for me then, if you're prepared to pay me for your time? :D

In answer to your question:

a) because my brother doesn't have much work on at the moment

b) how do you know how long the work will take? We estimate a week therefore it's best for all if he stays over. It wouldn't be viable for either of us if he travelled up and down the A34 for a week

c) because I trust him and I don't know any local carpenters

Will you do some work for me then, if you're prepared to pay me for your time? :D

In answer to your question:

a) because my brother doesn't have much work on at the moment

b) how do you know how long the work will take? We estimate a week therefore it's best for all if he stays over. It wouldn't be viable for either of us if he travelled up and down the A34 for a week

c) because I trust him and I don't know any local carpenters

But that is totally different. If your brother was happy to do it for free then that is up to him.

But that is totally different. If your brother was happy to do it for free then that is up to him.

The question wouldn't arise. The conversation went:

Me: "Bro - I've got quite a bit of work to do on the house. How are you fixed for work ATM?"

Him: "Sis, it's pretty darned quiet right now so I could do it for you"

Me: "Great - obviously I'll pay you for your time and materials but it'll make sense for both of us if you stayed over rather than travelling backwards and forwards every day for a week"

I wouldn't insult anyone by asking them to do something for nothing.

Me: "Bro - I've got quite a bit of work to do on the house. How are you fixed for work ATM?"

Me: "Great - obviously I'll pay you for your time and materials but it'll make sense for both of us if you stayed over rather than travelling backwards and forwards every day for a week"

So, you're comparing the re-pressurising of a boiler - which is essentially about as time consuming and difficult as turning on a tap! - with a week's worth of labour and materials for a qualified carpenter, and you expect everyone to agree with your argument! Besides, as has already been pointed out, the OP DID offer recompense for the job. A job which you pointed out he is obliged to get fixed, hence the point of the thread in the first place :roll:

I think you should have spent a life in politics with your ability to twist an argument to suit your agenda!

Surely, the conversation should have been:

BTF: "Hey, haven't seen you for ages, I miss you bruv"

BTF's Bruv: "Me too, it's ages since I have been down. I am quiet at the mo so could come down for a few days and remember old times"

BTF: "Can't wait. I have a bit of work to do on the house. Could you help?"

BTF's Bruv: "Anything for you sis and don't even think about paying me, I couldn't take money off you. Only on one condition, though"

BTF: "What's that?"

BTF's Bruv: "Don't talk about ****ing politics"

BTF: "OK, I can tell you about the time I used to audit NHS contractors instead"

Haven't you got a warranty on the boiler? I seem to remember that when we moved into our (brand new) house, the boiler was guaranteed for 2 years.

Seriously, it's a simple, simple job that would be comical to ask a plumber to do. Turn a lever off. Turn a screw until the boiler says 2, turn the screw back, turn the lever on. Job done. It would be a bit like you asking your brother to come and put a picture on the wall...it's that simple. I'm sure you wouldn't be paying him to do that, and guess he wouldn't want paying.

Surely, the conversation should have been:

BTF: "Hey, haven't seen you for ages, I miss you bruv"

BTF's Bruv: "Me too, it's ages since I have been down. I am quiet at the mo so could come down for a few days and remember old times"

BTF: "Can't wait. I have a bit of work to do on the house. Could you help?"

BTF's Bruv: "Anything for you sis and don't even think about paying me, I couldn't take money off you. Only on one condition, though"

BTF: "What's that?"

BTF's Bruv: "Don't talk about ****ing politics"

BTF: "OK, I can tell you about the time I used to audit NHS contractors instead"

Hmm, a bit far out. Especially the politics bit, as my little bro is so far right he's off the scale :)

But he does like the auditing chat as he and my dad used to do a lot of small building works for the NHS.

We don't pay him for his time and vice versa when we visit each other at weekends (not very often because of Mr TF's shifts) but every man / woman is worth his / her price for the job.

See, that's because I was brought up properly and taught to respect people and their worth.

So, you're comparing the re-pressurising of a boiler - which is essentially about as time consuming and difficult as turning on a tap! - with a week's worth of labour and materials for a qualified carpenter, and you expect everyone to agree with your argument! Besides, as has already been pointed out, the OP DID offer recompense for the job. A job which you pointed out he is obliged to get fixed, hence the point of the thread in the first place :roll:

I think you should have spent a life in politics with your ability to twist an argument to suit your agenda!

:lol:

Seriously, it's a simple, simple job that would be comical to ask a plumber to do. Turn a lever off. Turn a screw until the boiler says 2, turn the screw back, turn the lever on. Job done. It would be a bit like you asking your brother to come and put a picture on the wall...it's that simple. I'm sure you wouldn't be paying him to do that, and guess he wouldn't want paying.

I have had people pay me to hang pictures and even smaller jobs than that...

My friend runs a company doing home computer help and he charged someone an hours labour (£39) to plug in a keyboard. He tried explaining over the phone it was a simple job but the customer just didn't have a clue so he had no choice.

My friend runs a company doing home computer help and he charged someone an hours labour (£39) to plug in a keyboard. He tried explaining over the phone it was a simple job but the customer just didn't have a clue so he had no choice.

Lol.....that's brilliant.

Lol.....that's brilliant.

Yonks ago when most people were a little less IT savvy I used to do computer maintenance for DPCE who had the contract with BT. Fully 90% of problems turned out to be 1. not switched on at mains. 2. Cables had come loose or 3. Monitor switched off.

this is true, i used to do it! The money some places charge for basic stuff is daft. (pc world for example)

A sealed system will not just de-pressurise itself. I would suggest you stop being tight and get this done properly.

Yes it really is that easy and does lose pressure. I spoke to the bloke at the boiler service phoneline and he said refer to the manual and do it yourself. As also quoted on here it is like turning a tap on and off!! He said you would be mad to call an engineer out!

It has happened before, the pressure in the house is naff, and the same with the radiators.

Nope we checked this, below the boiler is the kitchen no leaks and the boiler is suspended of the ground. no leaks from any of the pipes. It is common with these boilers and it is only 13 months old brand spanking new the whole system.

what make of boiler is it out of interest

take you about 60 seconds as well, bloody plumbers ffs

What's the problem? I've told him how much I would want to do it and it's up to him now.

And for your information it will take longer than 60 seconds to drive to Sholing, sort the problem and drive back again. £20 is a fair price for anyone's time.

What's the problem? I've told him how much I would want to do it and it's up to him now.

And for your information it will take longer than 60 seconds to drive to Sholing, sort the problem and drive back again. £20 is a fair price for anyone's time.

i suppose but he was looking for someone close to the house

i turned on 2 taps for about 5 secs and that was it, job done and now I know her kids will have heating, so its all good.

Now that is what I have done before and would have done if I was not 2.5/3 hours away. It is nice to know that you can rely on your Southampton Football Club family network to lend a helping hand, as I would do the same at the drop of a hat.

I will make a token gesture as mentioned in the original post, and already have.

Thanks again you have stopped a lot of stress for the tanant, and even though it was my responsibility I believe it has been handled correctly!

Now that is what I have done before and would have done if I was not 2.5/3 hours away. It is nice to know that you can rely on your Southampton Football Club family network to lend a helping hand, as I would do the same at the drop of a hat.

I will make a token gesture as mentioned in the original post, and already have.

Thanks again you have stopped a lot of stress for the tanant, and even though it was my responsibility I believe it has been handled correctly!

this.

this really was! it took her longer to open the door!

Getting up, getting ready, getting tools ready, starting the car, travelling, opening the door, having a quick chat, finding the boiler etc etc.

I am being a bit pedantic but i get increasingly annoyed recently with customers telling me when i programme their jobs in that the wait is not acceptable as its only a 30 minute job etc.

But you didn't answer my original question.

Although I suppose it speaks volumes that you find the notion of someone helping someone else for free so odd.

I'm sorry you choose to misunderstand. Do your blinkers need adjusting maybe?

I have nothing against helping people out, nothing at all. However, here is a landlord who earns an income out of renting out his house. As a landlord he has a moral and legal responsibility for the welfare of his tenant.

He shouldn't have to rely on the goodwill of others. After all, his income from the rent should cover maintenance and repair charges. It is a business he is running.

Businesses have income and expenditure ergo so does he.