House I rent out in Southampton

Dr Who?

Had a call today from the tenant a young lady saying that the boiler has broken, but it turns out that it just needs re-pressurising, which can be done by any Tom **** or Harry or anyone else really and an engineer is NOT needed.

The problem is the tenant does not feel confident doing this, and I live in Cambridge.

I was wondering if any of you kind gentlemen from the Southampton area could go and assist her?

The instruction manual is at the property, and I have a copy that I can email to the person who can help.

If you can help I will send the full address in Sholing, just PM me.

I will sort the person out with a token gesture for their help.

Cheers

Kev

As I was posting this, I was thinking the same thing. Should I be offering people round to her house that I do not know? Hmmm. But she cannot fix it, and she is struggling big time with no heat. I am down saturday but that is not much good!

Had a call today from the tenant a young lady saying that the boiler has broken, but it turns out that it just needs re-pressurising, which can be done by any Tom **** or Harry or anyone else really and an engineer is NOT needed.

The problem is the tenant does not feel confident doing this, and I live in Cambridge.

I was wondering if any of you kind gentlemen from the Southampton area could go and assist her?

The instruction manual is at the property, and I have a copy that I can email to the person who can help.

If you can help I will send the full address in Sholing, just PM me.

I will sort the person out with a token gesture for their help.

Cheers

Kev

can i ask how you know it needs re-pressurising?

I am local by the way so happy to help

Typical reactionary comment from the likes of you who usually berate some people for getting something for nothing.

It is his legal duty, as a landlord, to get the problem sorted out.

Certainly not. Surely even you can see the difference between a scrounger who chooses not to work and gets propped up by the state, and a fellow human asking a favour from a fellow saints fan which would otherwise set him back a considerable amount of time and expense.

Well done to the likes of JustMike who offered to help out for free. I would do the same if I had skills in that area. Thanks for proving that community spirit is not dead.

I doubt you would be quite so charitable if you owned a small plumbing business that has just lost out on a few quid. I don't know Mike so I'm not knocking him but I hope whoever does the job is appropriately registered.

Otherwise Dr Who might find himself up sh*t creek.

Edited by bridge too far

I doubt you would be quite so charitable if you owned a small plumbing business that has just lost out on a few quid. I don't know Mike so I'm not knocking him but I hope whoever does the job is appropriately registerd.

Otherwise Dr Who might find himself up sh*t creek.

I'm not motivated by money so actually if I did own a plumbing business it would not bother me in the slightest.

Certainly not. Surely even you can see the difference between a scrounger who chooses not to work and gets propped up by the state, and a fellow human asking a favour from a fellow saints fan which would otherwise set him back a considerable amount of time and expense.

No I can't see much of a difference, TBH. If he's got a property he lets for income, he has a responsibility as well (and it's a legal one).

Tough tits if it sets him back time and expense - that's what he must expect if he lets a property.

I doubt you would be quite so charitable if you owned a small plumbing business that has just lost out on a few quid. I don't know Mike so I'm not knocking him but I hope whoever does the job is appropriately registered.

So you have never ever had anyone do you any favours?

You have never been anywhere near a DIY store? (thus depriving the appropriate trade the revenue they would have had if you didn't do it yourself)

Don't be ridiculous BTF

It is his legal duty, as a landlord, to get the problem sorted out.

If he's got a property he lets for income, he has a responsibility as well (and it's a legal one).

It is his legal duty to get it sorted, but he is not legally required to pay someone to do it. If someone does it for him as a favour (assuming they are appropriately qualified), the fact that it is done (in a timely manner) is all that counts. Knowing what most plumbers are like, it would be quicker to get someone to do it as a favour and therefore benefit the tenant.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

It is his legal duty to get it sorted, but he is not legally required to pay someone to do it. If someone does it for him as a favour (assuming they are appropriately qualified), the fact that it is done (in a timely manner) is all that counts. Knowing what most plumbers are like, it would be quicker to get someone to do it as a favour and therefore benefit the tenant.

too right, the last plumber i had out caused more damage and still didnt fix the original problem. There is a reason they call it DIY

can i ask how you know it needs re-pressurising?

I am local by the way so happy to help

Itwill not reset and the pressure gage is below 0.5 and it should be between 1 and 2. It will not reset unless the pressure is right. the tentant told me about the pressure and the bloke on the other end of the phone confirmed it. He also said just get her to do it from the manual!! hmmm!

I can see I've got it all wrong :(

When my garage door refused to shut yesterday, I should have jumped on here and asked for free help instead of forking out £40 for a bloke to fix it for me.

Perhaps I should have asked said bloke to fix it for free, in a 'community spirit' sort of way.

My brother is a carpenter. Soon, I will need some work done in my house. I've asked him to do it for me but I will pay him for his time (a 2 hour journey each way and / or overnight stay). I wouldn't dream of asking him to do it for nothing.

So you have never ever had anyone do you any favours?

You have never been anywhere near a DIY store? (thus depriving the appropriate trade the revenue they would have had if you didn't do it yourself)

Don't be ridiculous BTF

It is a job that I could do myself. I will be down on Friday, it is only the pressure, you do not need a qualified person to do it. I have asked mates but they will all be at work until 5/5.30 so was seening if a fellow Saints fan would help me out. She is fine to wait to Friday, but I will try and get sorted before then. She is not confidant with doing this herself as she has not been exposed to having to do this before. I have done her a huge favour in letting her rent the property on benefits and through a friend so not really a biggy. Just asking a favour!

I am nice and help out where I can.

Thanks JustMike I will let you know but seems like my brother-in-law is hoping to get round there this evening after work. It is a 2 minute job, just the lady cannot fix it or is not happy to which is fine. For me it would be a 2.5 hour journey or she will wait to friday when I can do it for her.

Itwill not reset and the pressure gage is below 0.5 and it should be between 1 and 2. It will not reset unless the pressure is right. the tentant told me about the pressure and the bloke on the other end of the phone confirmed it. He also said just get her to do it from the manual!! hmmm!

When the pressure dropped in my boiler, it was because there was a leak in the system, fortunately under the (suspended) ground floor and no damage was done by the dripping water. It may not be as simple as re-filling the system.

When the pressure dropped in my boiler, it was because there was a leak in the system, fortunately under the (suspended) ground floor and no damage was done by the dripping water. It may not be as simple as re-filling the system.

if it consistantly drops pressure than you have a leak. It usually goes after a rad has been bled or after a period of non-use.

It has happened before, the pressure in the house is naff, and the same with the radiators.

Nope we checked this, below the boiler is the kitchen no leaks and the boiler is suspended of the ground. no leaks from any of the pipes. It is common with these boilers and it is only 13 months old brand spanking new the whole system.

Thanks JustMike I will let you know but seems like my brother-in-law is hoping to get round there this evening after work. It is a 2 minute job, just the lady cannot fix it or is not happy to which is fine. For me it would be a 2.5 hour journey or she will wait to friday when I can do it for her.

no probs mate

if it consistantly drops pressure than you have a leak. It usually goes after a rad has been bled or after a period of non-use.

Like the summer. She only put it back on a couple of times in the last week, and then it dropped. Minor thing. All be sorted tonight I hope.

It has happened before, the pressure in the house is naff, and the same with the radiators.

Nope we checked this, below the boiler is the kitchen no leaks and the boiler is suspended of the ground. no leaks from any of the pipes. It is common with these boilers and it is only 13 months old brand spanking new the whole system.

Haven't you got a warranty on the boiler? I seem to remember that when we moved into our (brand new) house, the boiler was guaranteed for 2 years.

I can see I've got it all wrong :(

When my garage door refused to shut yesterday, I should have jumped on here and asked for free help instead of forking out £40 for a bloke to fix it for me.

Perhaps I should have asked said bloke to fix it for free, in a 'community spirit' sort of way.

My brother is a carpenter. Soon, I will need some work done in my house. I've asked him to do it for me but I will pay him for his time (a 2 hour journey each way and / or overnight stay). I wouldn't dream of asking him to do it for nothing.

That doesn't say a lot about your son in that he isn't prepared to pay you for Bed & Breakfast (services rendered), but you are required to pay him for his carpentry (services rendered). I wouldn't expect B&B for free, just think of all the local guest houses with empty rooms missing out on that much needed revenue.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

That doesn't say a lot about your son in that he isn't prepared to pay you for Bed & Breakfast (services rendered), but you are required to pay him for his carpentry (services rendered). I wouldn't expect B&B for free, just think of all the local guest houses with empty rooms missing out on that much needed revenue.

My brother, not my son. You are a numpty sometimes, aren't you. If he travelled back and forth for a week, his petrol costs (which would be reflected in his price to me) would be far more than the cost of putting him up. So I'm saving him time travelling - and free B & B is a price worth paying to see him.

No doubt you send your family members to B & B rather than put them up when they want to visit you?

Your argument would be more robust if you'd suggested that I employ a local carpenter - keeping it in the community sort of thing.

My brother, not my son. You are a numpty sometimes, aren't you. If he travelled back and forth for a week, his petrol costs (which would be reflected in his price to me) would be far more than the cost of putting him up. So I'm saving him time travelling - and free B & B is a price worth paying to see him.

No doubt you send your family members to B & B rather than put them up when they want to visit you?

Your argument would be more robust if you'd suggested that I employ a local carpenter - keeping it in the community sort of thing.

got a bit out of hand this, nothing wrong with a fellow saint asking for a hand. Its not like he is asking someone to re-plumb the entire system.

got a bit out of hand this, nothing wrong with a fellow saint asking for a hand. Its not like he is asking someone to re-plumb the entire system.

You're right Mike and I hope I didn't offend you in any way. It's nice of you to offer and I'd be the first to help out a friend if I could.

My point was that some people moan about some people getting something for nothing but then applaud someone for trying to do just that. I appreciate the guy lives some way away and he may just be letting his house whilst he's temporarily living in Cambridge.

But if he's a commerical landlord, he should be prepared to pay to fix a problem for his tenant.

You're right Mike and I hope I didn't offend you in any way. It's nice of you to offer and I'd be the first to help out a friend if I could.

My point was that some people moan about some people getting something for nothing but then applaud someone for trying to do just that. I appreciate the guy lives some way away and he may just be letting his house whilst he's temporarily living in Cambridge.

But if he's a commerical landlord, he should be prepared to pay to fix a problem for his tenant.

no didnt offend at all and i admire your principles. Wasnt aiming the "out of hand" post at you, just in general ;)

My brother, not my son. You are a numpty sometimes, aren't you.

Got me on that, but it doesn't distract from the point I was making

If he travelled back and forth for a week, his petrol costs (which would be reflected in his price to me) would be far more than the cost of putting him up. So I'm saving him time travelling

So will you deduct the cost of linen, food, heating etc from his petrol costs. A sort of contra deal?

- and free B & B is a price worth paying to see him.

He obviously doesn't feel you're worth seeing if he expects you to pay for his petrol.

Not at all, I will help any friend/family member at no charge and they would help me at no charge.

Anyway, enough about me, so not only are you depriving local B&B's but you are also depriving local trades people.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

My brother doesn't have much work on ATM Johnny. I have some work that needs doing. It makes sense to bring the two together.

He could include his travel time and costs in his bill and I could counter-charge with board and lodgings but that's plain daft - it's obviously cheaper for both of us for him to stay at my house.

However I shall be paying him for the work he's doing on my house - I don't expect to get something for nothing.

How is paying your brother to come and fix something which means he has to travel a long way comparable to enquiring if someone in the local area would mind popping Down and doing a job which presumably would not take very long? Bloody hell I wouldn't like to ask you for a favour! I bet plumbers are outraged at all these do gooders depriving them of work. I lifted a washing machine up a flight of stairs for my mum's business last week, should I have paid her for my time?