979MB free of 52.6GB

SO16_Saint

Right. I am in no way IT technical - other than being able to do basics. Why/how would i only have 979mb free on my hard drive when in the uninstall a programme place it shows 57 items installed totalling 2.81GB?

What the hell is taking up all the space and how can i remove it!

:blush:

Your remove/add programmes will not take into account any actual data on the drive, by this i mean pictures, videos, documents, music etc etc etc.

Could you be harbouring large amounts of this on the hard drive ??

Don't think so, no, as they are all on the other drive.

When you go into "c" and sort things by size there is nothing larger than 9,100kb but things like programme files and users and windows have no size next to them?

Confuddled

God i can't remember back to my IT days.

I don't think folders show up sizes when you view them within the 'c' drive, however if you do not have massive programmes, nor do you have data on it then essentially i think you may have an issue. UNLESS of course you have some sort of data recovery programme taking a snapshot of the data drive and storing the image on the 'c' drive, i know some crude programmes do this by pretty much taking a flat copy of one drive to another.

If this is the same system that is taking 20 hours to rip from a DVD then you may be in a spot of bother.

How long have you had the system ?? Used it without ever reinstalling ??

When this is all done and you have any electricity supply issues i'll do my best to help with that aswell ;)

God i can't remember back to my IT days.

I don't think folders show up sizes when you view them within the 'c' drive, however if you do not have massive programmes, nor do you have data on it then essentially i think you may have an issue. UNLESS of course you have some sort of data recovery programme taking a snapshot of the data drive and storing the image on the 'c' drive, i know some crude programmes do this by pretty much taking a flat copy of one drive to another.

If this is the same system that is taking 20 hours to rip from a DVD then you may be in a spot of bother.

How long have you had the system ?? Used it without ever reinstalling ??

When this is all done and you have any electricity supply issues i'll do my best to help with that aswell ;)

Yes this is the very same laptop that would have taken a age to copy a DVD! I haven't reinstalled it since new so 4 years ago now.

I have everything backed up, I think, is it worth formatting it or whatever and starting again from scratch?

Whats that data recovery snapshot thingymabob you said about?

Yes this is the very same laptop that would have taken a age to copy a DVD! I haven't reinstalled it since new so 4 years ago now.

I have everything backed up, I think, is it worth formatting it or whatever and starting again from scratch?

Whats that data recovery snapshot thingymabob you said about?

It might be, XP had a wonderful knack of completely f*cking itself up after a while i seem to recall. Just ensure that everything you want to be backed up is backed up first and pretty much only do it if you really know what you are doing.

The recovery snapshot is something that certain programmes will perform, Windows has one but i can't remember the XP one, there is a Norton one and a few others.

What it will do is take a snapshot of the drive either at time based or at the touch of a button intervals and will create an image that can be re-cloned onto the drive if ever needed.

It might be, XP had a wonderful knack of completely f*cking itself up after a while i seem to recall. Just ensure that everything you want to be backed up is backed up first and pretty much only do it if you really know what you are doing.

The recovery snapshot is something that certain programmes will perform, Windows has one but i can't remember the XP one, there is a Norton one and a few others.

What it will do is take a snapshot of the drive either at time based or at the touch of a button intervals and will create an image that can be re-cloned onto the drive if ever needed.

Cool, thanks for your help.

I think it's all backed up but will ask someone who knows what the he'll they're doing first because I will be murdered if I lose photos etc.

You're a sparky? I'll pm you a question in a sec...

ok right. I have deleted some cr@p and now have 2.96GB free. I've installed TreeSize Free and it looks like this:

26.4GB - Users (30,866 files)

19.0GB - Windows (77, 808 files)

2.7GB - Program files

1.6GB - ProgramData

1.3GB - [Files]

0.3GB - DRV

0.1GB - Acer

then loads at 0.00GB

There are only 2 users, me and the Mrs, is this normal?