Linksys WAG-54GS ADSL Router Stopped Working!

St Chalet

The cause:

BT are currently undergoing an upgrade of their core network (21CN). Essentially they are upgrading their kit at exchanges.

Symptoms:

The Modem will connect to DSL but will not connect to the Internet

Cure:

Go into the Modem's setup menu and change the following to these settings

• Autodetect = "No"
  • DSL Modulation = "ADSL2+"

Hey presto it works. So if your modem suddenly won't connect and you suspect your exchange has just been upgraded, try the above. If typing this out saves one person the hassle that I had, it is worth it.

FYI - My Exchange is Spencers Wood - Reading

That's weird. As far as I know your ISP shouldn't be just migrating you onto 21CN without informing you. We've had loads of trouble with it so far due to the amount of people using Netgear routers that don't cope very well with ADSL2+ due to th error-correction, and we end up having to send out new routers FOC. Diagnosing faults is a lot harder as well.

On the plus side, as long as you are close enough to the exchnage then you should be getting much faster download speeds.

I am with Pipex, they changed my tariff without telling me and cheerily informed me 'not all the letters went out' when I phoned in to complain. They used to have a brilliant service but now are nothing short of woeful. If I had the energy I'd migrate but don't want to risk a loss of service, TBF the Pipex / BT service has been stable for me although I'd be interested in any recomendations.

And you are right about DSL Sync speed. Up from an average of 2mbps to 3.2mbps download and upload from 448kbps to 750+