DSLR Camera for beginners

GenevaSaint

Another technology quandry then chaps, although I should probably ask Minty directly as well.

My daughter is getting very good at digital photography and we're looking to invest in a family DSLR. What model/make would be a good starting point but with the option to upgrade easily (new lens' or moving lenses to another body) ?

Pancake is a camera/photography genius, ask him. I have a Sony A200, it's a decent DSLR, nothing fancy, but there's plenty of lenses available that are compatible with it. It's perfect for what I need it for - I enjoy photography as a hobby, nothing serious though. It's supposed to be a good DSLR for beginners as well.

I'm a bit out of the loop with DSLRs at the moment as I've gone back to film and my Canon is coming up to 4 years old.

But, I would say when you are choosing the camera, go and try it out first. By all means buy it online and get it cheaper but have a play with some in Jessops/Currys etc to get a feel for the differences between the manufacturers.

Secondly, dont get excited about megapixels - you are better off and will get better pictures by buying a cheaper cameras and more expensive glass (lenses). My Canon is 10MP and I've never had a problem blowing the images up and getting them pro-printed even at 16x24" - and it is rare that I do that!

Thirdly, look the "system" you are buying in to. Factor in the cost of buying additional lenses, flash guns, tripods, filters etc as and when. It might be better to go with the more expensive camera maker is the extras will be cheaper in the long run.

I recently re-entered the SLR fold having, somewhat foolishly, been enticed by the compact digital market a decade or so ago.

I went for the Pentax k-x as it is branded an entry level DSLR but has full manual capabilities in addition to the usual automated features.

I'm really happy with the results produced thus far and would recommend it to anyone as a first DSLR. My original 35mm SLR lenses still work on it whihc is a bonus! It's also one of the cheapest cameras in it's class without compromising on quality.

Here's a few reviews:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_kx_review/conclusion/

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs/pentax-k-x-642482/review

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/digitalslr/127591/1/pentax-k-x-review.html

I recently had to buy a new DSLR.

I originally had a Sony Alpha 100 which I then bought a Tamron Aspherical 18-250 lens. The Alpha 100 broke down but as the lens was Sony specific I had to buy another one and went for the Alpha 230. Looked on the internet and the cheapest was £269 from Argos. One extra that makes a huge difference is a proper flash and I will be asking for one for my birthday. The A230 is well received by experts as one of the better and valued DSLR for beginners

Edited by angelman

Might have to get the Mrs a new camera. What I find annoying with these smaller ones is by the time you press the button, about a minute has passed. Does the Nex3/5 take photos as quickly as a DSLR?

Shutter lag on both is 0.44s. However, there are only three lenses available for it so far.

If you want the widest range of lenses and accessories, look at Canon and Nikon.

My advice would be to look at the secondhand market. Pretty much my entire kitbag has been pre-owned.

Al thanks for the link. Great site as shutter lag is the one think that pi**es the Mrs off more than anything else. My A230 is 0.194-0.107 which I do like. I guess all DSLRs are quicker. Mrs wants a compact that is really simple to use. I have a Kodak M530 (or something like that) which is a pretty terrible camera and I was going to give to my daughter. I had thought about a Lumix but see that on then FS25 shutter lag is over 1 sec!!!!! I will definitely look at that site before buying her anything.

Edited by angelman

Al thanks for the link. Great site as shutter lag is the one think that pi**es the Mrs off more than anything else. My A230 is 0.194-0.107 which I do like. I guess all DSLRs are quicker. Mrs wants a compact that is really simple to use. I have a Kodak M530 (or something like that) which is a pretty terrible camera and I was going to give to my daughter. I had thought about a Lumix but see that on then FS25 shutter lag is over 1 sec!!!!! I will definitely look at that site before buying her anything.

TBF, as long as you pre-focus the auto-focus, you can catch whatever you want to get. I never notice the lag on my Samsung point and shoot if I pre-focus.

Bought a Nikon D5000 the other week and am just starting to get to grips with it.

A few questions.

What is the ISO all about and how does it affect the picture quality and what is the best ISO to use?

If i want a really clear picture of a landscape (with no blurs in foreground, midground and background) what apperture and shutter speed and ISO would you recomend as a start point?

Finally there's hundreds of other functions. What are the main ones and what other functions are worth fiddling with?

Bought a Nikon D5000 the other week and am just starting to get to grips with it.

A few questions.

What is the ISO all about and how does it affect the picture quality and what is the best ISO to use?

If i want a really clear picture of a landscape (with no blurs in foreground, midground and background) what apperture and shutter speed and ISO would you recomend as a start point?

Finally there's hundreds of other functions. What are the main ones and what other functions are worth fiddling with?

ISO is the how sensitive the light the sensor is. The lower the number the less sensitive it is, but also you get more detail. Therefore ISO 100 is "better" suited to daylight outside and higher ISOs such as 3200+ for dim inside.

To get front to back sharpness in landscapes, you need to consider hyperfocal distance and depth of field. or you simply dial in the smallest aperture you can (f22 for example) and focus 1/3 of the way into the scene. Keep the ISO as low as possible and use a tripod.

Learn the control of ISO, shutter speed and aperture for getting the correct exposure and getting the effect (movement, sharpness, bokeh, noise etc) you want, the learn the rest of the controls.

Most of it appears to have been covered by answers so far. All I would add is to echo Al's comments about second hand stuff... a healthy secondhand market extends the life and usability of any body more than anything else, hence I would also echo Al's call to look at Canon or Nikon primarily. They also have the most experience in the market. That said, quality of other makes of DSLR is improving all the time and for most users, who don't have special requirements, a wide range of bodies will suffice.

One word of warning though... you'll never know if you made the right choice or not until you've actually started taking more photos and then start looking for those accessories that Pancake refers to... and at this stage you probably won't know what accessories you're likely to need or what kind of photography you're likely to do more of! Chicken and Egg scenario.

Make sure you test a body out... if you're in Southampton, go into London Camera Exchange next to the Marlands, opposite Soul Cellar (not the one at the top of East St) and ask in there, they're one of the best in the city. Do not go into Jessops and ask for any advice. Do not. I say again, do not. The independent shops are pretty good.

Also, check out sites like http://www.fredmiranda.com and http://www.dpreview.com for the largest range of reviews and comments on cameras.

Thought of you when I read this today:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/09/10/grouptest_budget_dslr_cameras_intro/

Check it out, think that's a fair summary and must have been written in response to your post here :)

I've got a Canon 350D which was second hand but does everything that I really need it to. Just trying to play around with HDR at the moment and also need to get a 35-200 or so lense for it (that's the costly bit, anyone got one spare?? :))

Thought of you when I read this today:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/09/10/grouptest_budget_dslr_cameras_intro/

Check it out, think that's a fair summary and must have been written in response to your post here :)

I've got a Canon 350D which was second hand but does everything that I really need it to. Just trying to play around with HDR at the moment and also need to get a 35-200 or so lense for it (that's the costly bit, anyone got one spare?? :))

No but I've got a crap Sigma 70-300 Canon EF fit I'm going to sell.

No but I've got a crap Sigma 70-300 Canon EF fit I'm going to sell.

Yeah, was going to look at a 70-300 or so but realised that I'd have to keep swapping to take family pics and then swap to take wildlife pics etc. So am going for a 35-200 or similar where I won't need to keep swapping! (currently have a 35-70 I think)

need to get a 35-200 or so lense for it (that's the costly bit, anyone got one spare?? :))

Is there such a thing, unless you're talking about a Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.?

Canon have recently released an EF-S 55-250mm which apparently isn't too bad for the price. The problem with it is being an EF-S mount is it won't work with a sensor larger than APS-C should you want to upgrade your body.