N900 or Blackberry Torch 9800?

dronskisaint

Apologies for boringly similar question to many others but....

I've nearly always had Nokia...it has always seemed too much like hard work to learn new menus...I've got on well with all of them pretty much, loved the E90, now have the N97 which is ok but my provider (I buy for a small company running delivery vans around the UK but this is mine) suggests a Blackberry Torch rather than the N900 that I had wanted but was unavailable when I got the N97. They have both in stock so, I think, are not trying to palm me off with anything for that reason.

Any input, experiences would be gratefully received. I am that old fart that doesn't like to change unless there's a good reason but I'm open minded if there are advantages.

For background I have a neat little Lenovo laptop that does most of my email requirements so email is not a prime driver in this. I travel for business in Europe & the US quite a bit & use the phone & text functions more than other stuff.

Thanks in anticipation

Both of these are very capable multi function devices. From what youve said you use it for - are either of them the right choice for you? Ive got a Blackberry, and love it. But its major advantage is its untouchable email capability (because of the enterprise server) compared with other phones. I also use it for the web and satnav. If you just want a good phone and text there are smaller and lighter phones out there.

Edited by buctootim

Both of these are very capable multi function devices. From what youve said you use it for - are either of them the right choice for you? Ive got a Blackberry, and love it. But its major advantage is its untouchable email capability (because of the enterprise server) compared with other phones. I also use it for the web and satnav. If you just want a good phone and text there are smaller and lighter phones out there.

I understand what you're saying & you're absolutely right - I just like having the back up should something happen to the laptop while I'm travelling...likewise the GPS - I have a good one but it's nice to use the phone one in city centres & have a back up option.

I have big hands too so prefer a physically larger phone...I get cramp trying to text on little pads. I still have an old E90..that was ideal but a little slow against the newer ones....6310i was also a favourite.

Thanks - all input is much appreciated

Apologies for boringly similar question to many others but....

I've nearly always had Nokia...it has always seemed too much like hard work to learn new menus...I've got on well with all of them pretty much, loved the E90, now have the N97 which is ok but my provider (I buy for a small company running delivery vans around the UK but this is mine) suggests a Blackberry Torch rather than the N900 that I had wanted but was unavailable when I got the N97. They have both in stock so, I think, are not trying to palm me off with anything for that reason.

Any input, experiences would be gratefully received. I am that old fart that doesn't like to change unless there's a good reason but I'm open minded if there are advantages.

For background I have a neat little Lenovo laptop that does most of my email requirements so email is not a prime driver in this. I travel for business in Europe & the US quite a bit & use the phone & text functions more than other stuff.

Thanks in anticipation

If you like Nokia:

The E5 is a very nice bit of kit.

C6 is good: nice keyboard.

C7 is on its way.......

I can only speak from the viewpoint of a N900 owner.

Bloody marvellous piece of kit.

Good qwerty keyboard and good touchscreen facilities with the capacity to accomodate people with gert fingers and the stylus is a good aquisition, also,superb memory capacity for pics,music and various downloads.

Camera,in my view, is exceptionally good along with the video,however it does have one of the longest time delays i have known from taking the picture to 'capturing'the picture.Battery life is so,so.depends how many widgets and shortcuts you want to display on the 3 personalised 'homepages'.

I thought the bulkyness would be a pain,however,i don't notice it when i have it in my pocket at work and less cumbersome than i originally anticipated.

Overall i have had it a few months and it still remains'new' to me as many updates come out which can change the feel,look and funtionality...if you choose to download the updates.

I was hesitant to have such techy decvice but i soon picked it up and got to grips with it........heres a better overview......i'm glad i chose it over the iphone......It is a computer with a phone........You can have so many apps running at once it is brilliant.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Edited by saint lard

I can only speak from the viewpoint of a N900 owner.

Bloody marvellous piece of kit.

Good qwerty keyboard and good touchscreen facilities with the capacity to accomodate people with gert fingers and the stylus is a good aquisition, also,superb memory capacity for pics,music and various downloads.

Camera,in my view, is exceptionally good along with the video,however it does have one of the longest time delays i have known from taking the picture to 'capturing'the picture.Battery life is so,so.depends how many widgets and shortcuts you want to display on the 3 personalised 'homepages'.

I thought the bulkyness would be a pain,however,i don't notice it when i have it in my pocket at work and less cumbersome than i originally anticipated.

Overall i have had it a few months and it still remains'new' to me as many updates come out which can change the feel,look and funtionality...if you choose to download the updates.

I was hesitant to have such techy decvice but i soon picked it up and got to grips with it........heres a better overview......i'm glad i chose it over the iphone......It is a computer with a phone........You can have so many apps running at once it is brilliant.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Again thanks - I'm leaning towards my Nokia comfort zone...how do you find the phone for both it's call clarity & holding on to signal?

Cheers

When i make calls i have no problem with signal and clarity usually,i will admit however for some reason when i phone out from some areas in my house ocasionally i sometimes have to re-dial which is something i have not encountered with other handsets before,this is sporadic i might add so could be nothing to do with the handset more the network,i'm on 02.

Otherwise it seems fine,i travel out into the sticks quite frequently,with my work,and i rarely encounter any problems.