iPhone 4 tarrifs and Networks

Colinjb

Hi all.

I am on the verge of upgrading from a dog basic nokia to an iPhone 4.

Now, I am currently on T-Mobile. They tried to switch me onto the iPhone 4 there when I got my PAC code but due to their network coverage around Winchester and my girlfriends in Hereford I didn't go with it.

So, in your experiences who would be the best to go for? I am looking for a reasonable price (45 quid ish per month) and not too high a phone cost. I don't need unlimited txts but I do need a lot of minutes for calls.

I will be browsing on the interwebs for tarrif details but if any of you can advise I would be grateful. Cheers.

Buy the phone SIM-Free from Apple, then find the best SIM only tariff that suits you. I use O2 Simplicity 600mins, 1200 texts, UL Data (although new tariffs are 500MB) for £20 per month. You can use any monthly SIM then, or get cashback via Quidco for a new SIM only plan - last I knew it was up to £100 on O2 and £120 on Vodafone. Over the course of the plan it'll cost you a lot less than a £45 contract and subsidised phone. Plus you've got an unlocked iPhone - I have a spare Orange SIM chopped down for Orange Wednesdays, plus can use local SIMs when abroad to save a fortune on Roaming charges. Plus your re-sell value will be higher for a factory unlocked iPhone.

If you do opt for a subsidised handset, then 3 are doing some decent tariffs (coverage in your area dependent).

Hi all.

I am on the verge of upgrading from a dog basic nokia to an iPhone 4.

Now, I am currently on T-Mobile. They tried to switch me onto the iPhone 4 there when I got my PAC code but due to their network coverage around Winchester and my girlfriends in Hereford I didn't go with it.

So, in your experiences who would be the best to go for? I am looking for a reasonable price (45 quid ish per month) and not too high a phone cost. I don't need unlimited txts but I do need a lot of minutes for calls.

I will be browsing on the interwebs for tarrif details but if any of you can advise I would be grateful. Cheers.

i phone 4 has problems your be better of with the iphone 3gs or a android phone.

google i-phone 4 problems before you decide.

i phone 4 has problems your be better of with the iphone 3gs or a android phone.

google i-phone 4 problems before you decide.

I am fully aware of the technical issues, thankyou. I have considered my choice of phone carefully and have decided it's the one I want.

I am aware that phones using the Android OS are as good as if not better in some aspects then the iPhone and are cheaper, but my extensive itunes catalogue and my familiarity with the iPhone OS from my work iPhone 3GS make it a winner.

Edited by Colinjb

If you do opt for a subsidised handset, then 3 are doing some decent tariffs (coverage in your area dependent).

Sadly they have limited coverage around Tarrington, Herefordshire therefore they are not an option. I am feeling drawn to the Orange 45 pounds per month 24 month deal though. (29 pound handset.)

Edited by Colinjb

Pretty sure that Orange provide the phone sim free - they get them direct from Apple and don't phuck about with them....

All phone supplied to Network Operators are NOT 'unlocked' I the true sense that you can swap and put different SIMs in. When you walk out of the Orange (or Voda, 3, T-Mobile etc.) shop, you CAN then put any other Network Operator's Micro SIM in, but it is then locked to the that network: you can't then take it out and put a different network SIM in. You'd be pretty stupid to do this though, as you'll still have the 18/24mth subsidised handset contract to run!

The IMEIs are registered on Apple's database and so when the iPhone 4 is activated with iTunes, only those purchased at the SIM-free full price from Apple are truly unlocked.

It arrived today. A nice shiny new iPhone 4 16gb.

Orange 45 tarrif, 24 months contract. 1200 mins, Unlimited txts per month.

I am one happy chap. I appreciate the suggestion Essruu but the one off price for the handset from Apple was something I wanted to avoid. Much happier to spread the burdon, especially when it still ends up 5-10 quid cheaper per month then my old contract.