"Guly" Signing Confirmed

Nexstar

IMO he was technically a lot better than nearly all our players and was grossly misused. That's my opinion and what qualifies you to call it nonsense.

IMO opinion he technically wasn't better than nearly all our players. No intellegence at all, always offside, not a great first touch, an average finisher, poor in the air but what he was was fairly quick and unpredictable, and he ran around a lot (which is some peoples eyes all a player has to do to be brilliant) therefore a great option to come off the bench. And it is nonsense because you are using Pardew not using an average player when better was available as a stick to beat him with comparing it to keeping two top players like Tevez and Mascarano on the bench and picking Mullins. That in ability terms would be like picking Waigo ahead of Lambert.

Edited by Turkish

IMO opinion he technically wasn't better than nearly all our players. No intellegence at all, always offside, not a great first touch, an average finisher, poor in the air but what he was was fairly quick and unpredictable, and he ran around a lot (which is some peoples eyes all a player has to do to be brilliant) therefore a great option to come off the bench. And it is nonsense because you are using Pardew not using an average player when better was available as a stick to beat him with comparing it to keeping two top players like Tevez and Mascarano on the bench and picking Mullins. That in ability terms would be like picking Waigo ahead of Lambert.

I suppose that you have compared his number of starts with his number of goals as well and found him wanting?

Another Italian footy writer told me on twitter: 'Devestating shot, tends to play just behimd the front men. And don't let anyone give you the cliche about the British physical game, Serie B is a tough old Championship'.

Sounds good, i quite like the views coming from these italian based media people - they'll know exactly what he's about.

Looking forward to seeing him, seems like he's exactly what we wanted. Just fingers crossed on the injury front.

I suppose that you have compared his number of starts with his number of goals as well and found him wanting?

No i haven't, because i went to most Saints game last season and know what i saw. Dont need to arse around tapping away at my keyboard to try and prove a point, i can do that having seen him play most of last season and actually knowing a decent player when i see one.

It might be a ''gamble'' but he's a safe gamble, becuase he's not tied to us until we decide to get him signed. He's on ''trial'' until january and it will be interesting to see how he settles.

This isn't the last signing either, we'll have another one in before saturday according to Pard's.

Watch the window get interesting now.

That was a good point that you made earlier this afternoon, S-C. Chance for the guy to prove himself before we commit too much. Let's hope he does well. (and doesn't do a Saga when/if he gets a longer contract:D). I'm watching the window, but "the big one" will be at 11.29hrs one day, I expect. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I assume that Guilherme translates as "William" in English, so perhaps he ought to be called Bill? I don't think we have had any Do Prado's before, but I'm sure there have been a few "Bills" in the team.

No i haven't, because i went to most Saints game last season and know what i saw. Dont need to arse around tapping away at my keyboard to try and prove a point, i can do that having seen him play most of last season and actually knowing a decent player when i see one.

And I suppose you don't give two hoots about how many Lallana scored coming in from the left wing either, and rather play him through the middle? What you and I might think must surely be challenged by the facts, and if not I think that we are far to stubborn.

Waigo was a perfect player for the right side of a 4-3-3/4-5-1, I'm sure he had little or no experience of 'ye olde english 4-4-2' with it's long balls and hitting heads against a pair of enormous CBs. In spite of that he scored and laid on goals at some amazing rate. We missed a trick by not appreciate it.

And I suppose you don't give two hoots about how many Lallana scored coming in from the left wing either, and rather play him through the middle? What you and I might think must surely be challenged by the facts, and if not I think that we are far to stubborn.

Waigo was a perfect player for the right side of a 4-3-3/4-5-1, I'm sure he had little or no experience of 'ye olde english 4-4-2' with it's long balls and hitting heads against a pair of enormous CBs. In spite of that he scored and laid on goals at some amazing rate. We missed a trick by not appreciate it.

Agree with that assessment, B.

I hope Guly will do extremely well here, in spite of not believing that he was an obvious first pick in Serie A. What I'm more interested in is whether he is just to replace Hammond, or whether AP has got the balls (oops, balls and goolies in the same post) to play a 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 or any other formation which accommodates somebody to plays behind the striker. I doubt it, and fear that he might not have Hammonds defensive qualities, and therefore leave us unbalanced. We will have to see.

The contract seems fine by me. If he is not what we want he can go back and if it is a true option deal he will remain ours if we want him to stay.

There is no comparison with Antonio here. Reading had an option to extend his contract with a year, which they took only to try to force Saints to pay for him, and thinking that they also had a development fee to collect. As it happened they got neither. The one losing on that deal is Antonio who will now spend a year not playing football until he is released in the summer.

Why would you suppose that? I think Lallana is very good on the left and also good down the middle, he interchanged very well with Puncheon last season so i would stick with that if we are to persist with 4-4-2. Personaly i am a big fan of 4-3-3/4-5-1 and think 4-4-2 is dated, i posted this a couple of weeks ago on another thread. I still prefer Puncheon on the right of a 5 ahead of Waigo.

Eh? 5 goals in 34 appearances in the league? That's an amazing rate! Granted a lot of those were as sub, but the reason he was sub so often was that he was better as a sub and often faded out of games after starting. He was a great squad player, but not the world beater a lot of people seem to be making him out to be.

Eh? 5 goals in 34 appearances in the league? That's an amazing rate! Granted a lot of those were as sub, but the reason he was sub so often was that he was better as a sub and often faded out of games after starting. He was a great squad player, but not the world beater a lot of people seem to be making him out to be.

I must have misseds all these games where he was amazing and all these goals and assists.

You forgot the 7 (that is 12 alltogether for us who can count) in the cups for somebody who only ever got 15 starts, and, I admit, a number of sub appearances often enough on the left of a 4-4-2, which must have been a very strange experience. Put his record up against footballers generally and anywhere and keep telling me that he was no better than a squad player in the third division.

I must have misseds all these games where he was amazing and all these goals and assists.

I take it you didn't watch the early round of the JPT then!! That was where Papa did his best work. As far as the league was concerned...not so special.

Thanks Ron, it's hard not to stand up for what I think is probably the most talented player we've ever let go. Can you think of a better one?
Not in recent times. People were bias because he was offside so much but some of that was his thinking time was faster than some of the team around him. When he got the ball he passed it and moved into space. Again some of our players did not read that and made him look poor again. Me, you and Derry have all watched him from an impartial point of view and all have come up with the same opinion.

You forgot the 7 (that is 12 alltogether for us who can count) in the cups for somebody who only ever got 15 starts, and, I admit, a number of sub appearances often enough on the left of a 4-4-2, which must have been a very strange experience. Put his record up against footballers generally and anywhere and keep telling me that he was no better than a squad player in the third division.

If you want to bring JPT stats into this, do so by all means, but we all know stats in the league are a better gauge of a player's usefulness to a team whose sole aim is to get promotion. In his 12 starts in the league, he scored 2 goals. I reckon Paterson's record's better than that.

As for comparing his record against footballers generally?? Eh?!! If we compared Lambert's record against footballers generally, he'd be the best striker in the whole of England....but that's just not true is it!

Not in recent times. People were bias because he was offside so much but some of that was his thinking time was faster than some of the team around him. When he got the ball he passed it and moved into space. Again some of our players did not read that and made him look poor again. Me, you and Derry have all watched him from an impartial point of view and all have come up with the same opinion.

I think your right, because I don't think any of us had any bias for him, and not that I can think of what that could have been. He had some unexpected qualities which if you put them up against the like of Puncheon, makes you realise how entirely predictable that guy is.

If you want to bring JPT stats into this, do so by all means, but we all know stats in the league are a better gauge of a player's usefulness to a team whose sole aim is to get promotion. In his 12 starts in the league, he scored 2 goals. I reckon Paterson's record's better than that.

As for comparing his record against footballers generally?? Eh?!! If we compared Lambert's record against footballers generally, he'd be the best striker in the whole of England....but that's just not true is it!

You're misinformed. It was 12 starts overall, only 5 of them in the league. That suddenly makes 2 in 5 look more than respectable.

Exactly my point, two goals against Torquay does not make you a star. Connolly, Barnard and Lambert all have a better goals to starts ratio than Waigo, hence why he was 4th choice striker.

Exactly my point, two goals against Torquay does not make you a star. Connolly, Barnard and Lambert all have a better goals to starts ratio than Waigo, hence why he was 4th choice striker.

What, they all had a better goals to starts ratio than 12 to 15!!! This is all getting silly and I will gently withdraw with that as my last word.

What, they all had a better goals to starts ratio than 12 to 15!!! This is all getting silly and I will gently withdraw with that as my last word.

In the the league they did yes, Barnard 9 in 15 and Connolly 7 in 10. I dont give a stuff about the JPT stats as i said earlier scoring goals againat Torquay doesn't make you a L1 star.

Papa was ok and useful in the right games and one I would like to have seen as a squad player.......But not overly fussed as Alex OC

Holder -Spooner to support Lallana and Puncheon we are very well served on the wings and up front....One extra arriving sounds good

to me...

But I suspect some old farts on here will continue this nonsense about the world class Papa as a dig at Pards......

There is much better at the club and we will not miss Papa to the extent peeps are alluding to..

WIFM

Err Shearer, Mark Wright, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kevin Phillips, Dennis Wise, Martin Craine, Matthew Mills, Tim Flowers, Jeff Kenna, want me to go on???

It has to be Alan Shearer. He will go down in history as one of the best centre forwards ever.

Err Shearer, Mark Wright, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Kevin Phillips, Dennis Wise, Martin Craine, Matthew Mills, Tim Flowers, Jeff Kenna, want me to go on???

With "let go" you tend to mean getting sacked or in football, given a "free". The only ones who qualify in that list is Wise (as a youngster), Cranie and Mills. Phillips we pushed out the door when we got relegated and didn't want to pay is wages, quite apart from that he wanted to leave. It's always harder to answer if you listen to the question first.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I am definitely leaving the building regarding this subject.

Ahem, he said let go, not sell. We mindfully decided not to retain Waigo, no battle, we can only assume the player was happy here. We let him go, why? I have no idea. He brought something that we sorely miss.

Because he wasnt good enough, prehaps?

Also while there is apparently "Saganowski syndrome" there must also be "Rasiak syndrome", who lets not forget also started here with us on loan. And Alpine didn't seem to mind him too much.

In fairness, its a reasonable point you and Turkish have made.

We dont know if Antonio and Papa would have delivered as permanent signings, we just felt confident they would because of how they performed as loans. No way to be 100% sure of no Sagnowski Syndrome.

I suppose I will feel better once Goolie has shown what he is made of in a few games' time..