"Guly" Signing Confirmed

Nexstar

Funny you should say that Ron. I think this looks like another Cortese Italian connection signing similar qualities to Waigo. We all know what happened then Pardew had never seen him and despit his obvious value under-utilised him.

But then Pardew has form, in similar circumstances he was given two of the best players in the world in Tevez and Mascherano and didn't have the wit to build the side around them instead trying to get them to fit in to the Pardew pattern. When it didn't work, he left them out, look at them now. I can see this not being Pardew's decision, so unless he comes in and proves undroppable I wouldn't be surprised to see him messed about as Waigo was. However I can't see Cortese letting that happen for long if it does.

Not sure if I agree with that; but then I'm only going on Pardew's radio interview, which is not alot to go on.

When Papa came in Pardew openly admitted he knew very litttle about him and was going off the recommendations of others who had seen him. AP had clearly never seen him play and seemed to intimate he had not even seen any footage of him.

This time, he seems to have a very good idea of the type of player Guly is, what his main attributes and strengths are, and it would seem he's seen a decent amount of footage of him to gauge his opinion of him as a player (amongst other things, his comment about how he has long legs which he uses very well to get himself out of trouble).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the initial connection did come through the Cortese connection; but I think in this case AP has had much more of a chance to run the rule over him.

I'm happy to give the guy a chance to show us what he can do !

He might be a diamond or he might be a turd - Either way the loan arrangement seems to be the most sensible method to decide which, without shackling ourself to a long terms commitment should he turn out to be the latter.

Not sure if I agree with that; but then I'm only going on Pardew's radio interview, which is not alot to go on.

When Papa came in Pardew openly admitted he knew very litttle about him and was going off the recommendations of others who had seen him. AP had clearly never seen him play and seemed to intimate he had not even seen any footage of him.

This time, he seems to have a very good idea of the type of player Guly is, what his main attributes and strengths are, and it would seem he's seen a decent amount of footage of him to gauge his opinion of him as a player (amongst other things, his comment about how he has long legs which he uses very well to get himself out of trouble).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the initial connection did come through the Cortese connection; but I think in this case AP has had much more of a chance to run the rule over him.

I think that he would have been thoroughly briefed, with reference to Weston's post re Pardew/Cortese/Reed/Burke I had heard that it was no longer a manager decision who we signed.

I think that he would have been thoroughly briefed, with reference to Weston's post re Pardew/Cortese/Reed/Burke I had heard that it was no longer a manager decision who we signed.

I've said on that post, I don't really care too much how exactly we sign the players; whether its the manager's original spot, the scouts recommendation, Cortese's link, the tea boy making a suggestion, whatever; so long as the manager wants the player and is party to club discussions prior to the signing, its utterly not important in my eyes. Continental clubs have long operated whereby the manager is only part of a team to bring in players. Where that falls down is the Real Madrid approach where the manager seemingly has no say and the President and his mates make the choices; I don't think we have that here. I think we have a decent approach to new signings; and I think AP has been much more involved with this one than he was with Papa.

Funny you should say that Ron. I think this looks like another Cortese Italian connection signing similar qualities to Waigo. We all know what happened then Pardew had never seen him and despit his obvious value under-utilised him.

But then Pardew has form, in similar circumstances he was given two of the best players in the world in Tevez and Mascherano and didn't have the wit to build the side around them instead trying to get them to fit in to the Pardew pattern. When it didn't work, he left them out, look at them now. I can see this not being Pardew's decision, so unless he comes in and proves undroppable I wouldn't be surprised to see him messed about as Waigo was. However I can't see Cortese letting that happen for long if it does.

THis is utter nonsense, The simple fact is Waigo was not good enough to be in our starting 11 when everyone was available. He was okay, not great, unpredictable and had his best games when coming of the bench to offer something a bit different. To say he was messed about is ridiculous. It's only now he has gone people are remising about how great he was supposed to have been and his goal against Torquay which got us through in the first round of the JPT.

THis is utter nonsense, The simple fact is Waigo was not good enough to be in our starting 11 when everyone was available. He was okay, not great, unpredictable and had his best games when coming of the bench to offer something a bit different. To say he was messed about is ridiculous. It's only now he has gone people are remising about how great he was supposed to have been and his goal against Torquay which got us through in the first round of the JPT.

IMO he was technically a lot better than nearly all our players and was grossly misused. That's my opinion and what qualifies you to call it nonsense.

Signing him on loan suggests we've covered our bases in case he is crap. Which suggests we can't be confident he's going to be any good. Let's hope he is the midfield general we have been looking for.

You see, I just don't understand this thinking that we MUST think he's rubbish if it's only on loan at first. Did we think that when we got Rasiak on loan with an option to purchase? Waigo was also a loan with an option to buy, which we have seemingly passed up, therefore we've obviously benefitted from such an arrangement despite someone at the club clearly believing it was worth the gamble. Loads of other clubs take this option, as it just makes so much more business sense to do so. It doesn't mean that the club has any less confidence that it will be a good signing, simply that they are inserting an insurance method into the deal.

Just to end all speculation as to whose signing this guy is I have had it confirmed to me today that it is most definately another Cortese special along the lines of Papa Waigo. In addition, a striker with pace is (hopefully) on the way in but no name available I'm afraid. Will not be Antonio however even though he is desperate to come to us but Reading won't let him despite the fact he's not starting for them (which IIRC confirms a previous poster's info some time ago).

Cannot disclose my source, it's someone with close involvement on the playing side who I happened to meet today.

Make of it what you will but it's not idle speculation.

I am optimistic about this signing,refering to the comments made from couple of italian aquaitances who put this story/aquasition my way,they stated he will become a fans favourite and has skill in abundance.

I know Italian football is substantially different to the English game,therefore i will cast judgment once he has settled in and i have seen him first hand.

Good luck Raymundo.

Edited by saint lard

Just to end all speculation as to whose signing this guy is I have had it confirmed to me today that it is most definately another Cortese special along the lines of Papa Waigo. In addition, a striker with pace is (hopefully) on the way in but no name available I'm afraid. Will not be Antonio however even though he is desperate to come to us but Reading won't let him despite the fact he's not starting for them (which IIRC confirms a previous poster's info some time ago).

Cannot disclose my source, it's someone with close involvement on the playing side who I happened to meet today.

As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy with the Cortese link; as long as it continues to utilise the support of Les Reed and his team, and with the input of the manager, prior to the signing. I feel confident that will have been the case here, but I never believed it to be true in the case of Waigo's arrival.

I look forward to hearing about more (potentially) new signings coming up.

awesome. not a big fan of nicknames being used on football shirts but that's not really a big issue :lol:, hope this turns out to be a great signing.

the following is so great to read, so strange that good players are talking like this about us:

I was looking forward to what was going to be a very exciting season playing in Serie A, and although there was interest in me from other Serie A clubs, as soon as I heard Southampton were interested I knew that I had to come here.

"I have always wanted to play in England and at the highest possible level. The Chairman sold me his vision for where this Club is going and I wanted to be a part of that and help take this Club through the divisions."

hmmm, id read into that - MONEY talks

im excited about this signing though for sure!

As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy with the Cortese link; as long as it continues to utilise the support of Les Reed and his team, and with the input of the manager, prior to the signing. I feel confident that will have been the case here, but I never believed it to be true in the case of Waigo's arrival.

I look forward to hearing about more (potentially) new signings coming up.[/QUOTE]

Alas and alack, not from me. It was a pure fluke I met who I did today ;)

What tripe. He was woefully misused - and apart from when he arrived (a run that saw us playing some of our best football last season) was never given a run of games to establish himself.

High risk - in football, not financial terms - but exciting.

I'd just sort of assumed he was a winger, so seems that's the other slot we need filled.

Never heard of the bloke before, but this smacks of real ambition by the club. (same sort of reaction as when we got Papa. I'd neevr heard of him, but his record sounded very good for a L1 side)

Chuffed.

If Pardew agreed it would fit in with his plans and was happy to go along with the signing then fine. If not then it is a dangerous game for Cortese to be playing. He must trust the judgement of his Manager or dismiss him. Posters know I am not a fan of Pardew to get us back to the Premiership but whilst he is here he needs to be given 100% support from the club management and players. Anything less will poison the club. We have seen this before.

Unless I hear different I am going to assume Pardew supports the signing 100%. I have a sneeky feeling this might be the quality midfield signing we have been looking for.

What tripe. He was woefully misused - and apart from when he arrived (a run that saw us playing some of our best football last season) was never given a run of games to establish himself.

Its neither tripe nor nonsense, just people expressing a view on a player. Waigo seems to be like marmite on here; you obviously very much like him. I for one thought he was not good enough for the first team, pretty average and frustrating out wide, a good attacking threat when playing off the shoulder of the defenders but absolutely devoid of a footballing brain hence getting caught needlessly offside so, so many times. The fact that we have not replaced him yet is the only reason (to date) I'd even contemplate having him back, and if other quotes are to believed that a new pacy striker is on the way I shan't miss him at all.

Just an opinion of course; neither right, wrong, or tripe.

Seems a pretty apt signing to go with our 125 years when you consider that the Father of Brazilian Football Charles Miller played for St Mary's until the season before we became Southampton proper.

Most Brazilian footballers know who Southampton Football Club are because of his connection to us all those years back.

Someone asked if he was our first Brazilian.................:blush:................ you should go and sit in the corner with a pointy hat sporting a capital D on the front!!!!!! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Miller

If Pardew agreed it would fit in with his plans and was happy to go along with the signing then fine. If not then it is a dangerous game for Cortese to be playing. He must trust the judgement of his Manager or dismiss him. Posters know I am not a fan of Pardew to get us back to the Premiership but whilst he is here he needs to be given 100% support from the club management and players. Anything less will poison the club. We have seen this before.

Unless I hear different I am going to assume Pardew supports the signing 100%. I have a sneeky feeling this might be the quality midfield signing we have been looking for.

I've just listened to Pard's interview on saints player and he knows pretty much everything about the player, down to his height and weight! He knows how he plays, his strengths and what he'll bring to us.

It's probably a cortese instigated deal due to his contacts, but i'm pretty sure Pardew had a good look at this guy before giving it the ok - and he seems genuinely chuffed that he's got him.

I am optimistic about this signing,refering to the comments made from couple of italian aquaitances who put this story/aquasition my way,they stated he will become a fans favourite and has skill in abundance.

I know Italian football is substantially different to the English game,therefore i will cast judgment once he has settled in and i have seen him first hand.

Good luck Raymundo.

The Italian forwards are used to playing against solid defences and learn to unlock difficult to crack back lines. Just what we need IMO

I've just listened to Pard's interview on saints player and he knows pretty much everything about the player, down to his height and weight! He knows how he plays, his strengths and what he'll bring to us.

It's probably a cortese instigated deal due to his contacts, but i'm pretty sure Pardew had a good look at this guy before giving it the ok - and he seems genuinely chuffed that he's got him.

I listened to it as well and agree with you, hense my last paragraph.

Because it means we are not sure he is the player to kick start our season and do the business for us. I would have expected AP to have more confidence about his signings than that, seeing as he has pondered them all summer long..

By January we might too far adrift again.

Do I hear the sound of straws being clutched?

In one wayt I suppose you can say he was misused but TBF the pitches he was meant to be playing on week in week out didnt really set the stall out to show off his tallents. I think had we be playing on more decent pitches more often he may have been used more. He was gash on a crap pitch so it may have had something to do with it.

I am pleased...

Number 8 slot is still available i see...

Rowan Vine wore 8 for QPR, we are trying to cancel his contract. Maybe saints are waiting for that to happen before signing him.

Maybe it could be for Agyemang whos been transfer listed.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2131709,00.html

Tall, pacey and can score by the looks of it. Exactly what we need!

At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A midfielder!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we need another one, a real muck and netttles league one battler who can win the ball and show some determination. Then we can drop 'dumb' and 'dumber' who "played" in midfield for us on Saturday.

awesome. not a big fan of nicknames being used on football shirts but that's not really a big issue :lol:, hope this turns out to be a great signing.

the following is so great to read, so strange that good players are talking like this about us:

I was looking forward to what was going to be a very exciting season playing in Serie A, and although there was interest in me from other Serie A clubs, as soon as I heard Southampton were interested I knew that I had to come here.

"I have always wanted to play in England and at the highest possible level. The Chairman sold me his vision for where this Club is going and I wanted to be a part of that and help take this Club through the divisions."

What a load of old bull****e! Why these blokes expect us to swallow this crap is beyond me. If this spiel is a measure of his football quality as well don't raise your hopes too much. At least we can be honest and say "Who???" TFIH?

Rubbish again. You cant force someone to stay and sign a contract if they dont want to.

He may have already signed a contract on a permanent deal as part of loan deal, slightly different circumstances but Reading "made" Antonio stay this season without him signing /agreeing anything new as it was in his initial contract.

This guy will have some sort of contract, it may include permanent terms should we wish to keep him here.

He said he wants to play in England at the highest possible level - do you think he thinks League 1 is the Premiership???

Well, if he waits a few years he could probably do a KP and walk into the England Team. After all even Drogbaj/Saint_Stevo are better bets than Lampard in there

I have been accused several times of demanding signings for the sake of it. Sod their quality.

Well, I reckon a lot of people on here feel obliged to applaud a signing just because its a signing. Nobody has a f**king clue if he will deliver. Most people dont even know who he is.

Look at the abuse anyone who questioned the Dickson signing got. Now look how that has worked out.

ffs, it worked out we have a very good 23 year old LB on our books, you really have not got a clue about saints players just want to criticise them

I find the signing encouraging but i am not over excited. He has never played in the top flight, despite signing for Fiorentina, he never played for them. Worryingly had a terrible time with injuries while there. Hmmmmm The rest of his career is spent at 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier of Italian football and 3rd tier of Brazilian football.

I'd like to think he will be a good signing for us, but just because he has come from Serie A and is Brazilian does not mean he will be better than sliced ciabata.

Yes I know we are in the third tier of football so lets hope he fits right in.

Exactly my thoughts atm. He may be good enough for League 1 if he stays fit but the jury's out.

Oh right must be only me that thought our best form last season was after January, you know the run which if it had lasted the season would have been champions form. Which by coincidence was also when Papa was no more than a squad player. So who would you pick ahead of in our best 11, Lambert prehaps, or Connolly, Barnard, or how about leaving Lallana out for him, Puncheon maybe? Or last season he could have been picked ahead of our other world beater who is no longer here Antonio, but no, 99% of fans prefered Antonio and would still have him back given the choice of the two. I know some of you loved to romantisise about past players, but Papa was not good enough for first 11, not after January and not now.

Edited by Turkish

Its neither tripe nor nonsense, just people expressing a view on a player. Waigo seems to be like marmite on here; you obviously very much like him. I for one thought he was not good enough for the first team, pretty average and frustrating out wide, a good attacking threat when playing off the shoulder of the defenders but absolutely devoid of a footballing brain hence getting caught needlessly offside so, so many times. The fact that we have not replaced him yet is the only reason (to date) I'd even contemplate having him back, and if other quotes are to believed that a new pacy striker is on the way I shan't miss him at all.

Just an opinion of course; neither right, wrong, or tripe.

An absolutely spot on assesment of him, IMO of course. I didn't mind him as a squad player but no more than that.

I've only just got in and haven't got time to read through the whole thread, so would I be right in thinking that Alan Pardew's getting a Brazilian, and that he'll see how it's working out in January? He also reckons it might be a bit risky, hence the temporary arrangement. Meanwhile, Alpine thinks it's probably too much of a risk and thinks that Pardew should be looking for something he's more certain of.

Is that about the gist of it?