"Guly" Signing Confirmed

Nexstar

Guest flickjax

Lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt and Pardew, I for one have been impressed with his judgement in signings since he joined us.

I watched the video, and yes i know they are only highlights but the guy looks like he has strength and pace and can cross/shoot something that we have been missing from central midfield. From those clips I believe Rickie may have cleaned up from some of the well placed crosses/passes he made and am looking forward to seeing him in a peru shirt. :)

WIFM

I have been accused several times of demanding signings for the sake of it. Sod their quality.

Well, I reckon a lot of people on here feel obliged to applaud a signing just because its a signing. Nobody has a f**king clue if he will deliver. Most people dont even know who he is.

Look at the abuse anyone who questioned the Dickson signing got. Now look how that has worked out.

For once I agree with you. You do want it both ways. You initially want any old signing, but when one comes in you then aren't happy.

People aren't gushing, they don't have a clue what he is like and all admit that. They are just excited to see what he is all about and extremely happy that we have negotiated a deal that won't see another Delgado.

How has the Dickson signing worked out?

The majority do not think it is 'wonderful.' They have taken a wait and see approach rather than being underwhelmed.

You were the focus of that call ban too, you know.

Why should I be banned for describing my reaction as "underwhelmed" ? And why have you lot reacted so violently to it ?

Interesting that you don't see Morgan as a defensive player, IMO the makalele role is his best position!

I'd like to see AP try summat like this against Bolton tomorrow :

------------Schniederlin------------

Punch-----------------------Lallana

---------------Guly---------------

----Lambert----------Barnard------

This would also give us the option of bringing on Hammond to sure up midfield if we're leading with 20 mins to go

Now Morgan has added a strong challange to his game i agree 100%

Have I got this right......

Alpine thinks we're all excited for no reason, yet alpine is the only one who thinks we should have signed him instead of a loan???

Nope.

I said we should have signed someone properly, and if we feel he is too much of a risk we should have looked elsewhere.

It might be a ''gamble'' but he's a safe gamble, becuase he's not tied to us until we decide to get him signed. He's on ''trial'' until january and it will be interesting to see how he settles.

This isn't the last signing either, we'll have another one in before saturday according to Pard's.

Watch the window get interesting now.

Great signing - but I wonder whether this is Papa all over again - not in terms of playing style or what he brings to the team but how far AP was involved in identifying the player. With Papa, I got sense that AP never saw him as his player and was never truly sold on him. Thus Papa was used sporadically - something which definitely upset his time at the club. Im pretty sure that this deal has been inspired by Cortese and his contact, so I hope that this isnt a case of history repeating himself....

You were the focus of that call ban too, you know.

Why should I be banned for describing my reaction as "underwhelmed" ? And why have you lot reacted so violently to it ?

I know. I'm ignoring deppo because he just posts as a wind up. I wasn't discussing you being banned. I think you are a touch paranoid.

Autumn drawers on

He'll need to grow his hair a bit and get some thicker gloves

Cold Tuesday night in Rochdale/Hartlepool/some other northern turdpit where apparently foreign players forget how to play on a Tuesday night when the weather is a bit parky?

Nope.

I said we should have signed someone properly, and if we feel he is too much of a risk we should have looked elsewhere.

Have you ever had a positive word to say?

Who knows how good he will be, you're using your usual guesswork, as soon as we sign someone you say he may not be good enough, but as always i could just say he will be fantastic, it doesn't make me right. Your using pure guesswork, why not comment on him after the 2 games this week Alpine?

Nope.

but you are also the person that says we can't afford to wait for the perfect signing.

Well, I really hope so.

I am just not comfortable with loans. I think they perform to a misleading level (not bothered, or other extreme - Saganowski Syndrome), and therefore no basis on which to build a promotion campaign.

are you talking about this season or next?

Interesting it is a 5 month loan. Maybe being Brazilian there are question marks whether he can adapt to lower league English football. Could be the player we need when playing at St Mary's and opposition playing with 10 men behind the ball. Not sure if he would be the right player on a cold Tuesday night at Hartlepool.

Learned our lesson with Antonio! This time we have an option to buy!

Just read it. Even AP is describing it as a "risk".

And surely he is a Serie B player, not Serie A. Maybe he has gone up with Cesena, but he hasnt got a proven record at Serie A level.

Isn't every signing? So least season he played in a team that was playing the league above our level, albeit in a foreign country, and that team was promoted, so to top flight, so it's a bit like us signing Kevin Nolan.

How has Dicksons signing not worked out, after TWO games?

This signing is a real surprise but it is nevertheless a bold move by the club.

AP's record in the transfer market is absolutely top-notch for us, when you compare him to other managers in our recent past he's bought really well over the past year or so and I'm sure he's seen enough of this guy to suggest that he'll do well for us. Only time will tell as to whether he is any good but I have faith!

It is a risk but sometimes it's not such a bad thing to have someone in the ranks who the other teams are not going to know much about. Hopefully we can get him settled in quickly and up to speed in terms of fitness.

Interesting that you don't see Morgan as a defensive player, IMO the makalele role is his best position!

I'd like to see AP try summat like this against Bolton tomorrow :

------------Schniederlin------------

Punch-----------------------Lallana

---------------Guly---------------

----Lambert----------Barnard------

This would also give us the option of bringing on Hammond to sure up midfield if we're leading with 20 mins to go

Maybe more personal opinion than actualy knowing anything but if I was picking the team I would be putting him behind the front 2 as I think he can open up a defence on his day and make a difference. Just dont see him as the kind of player to be breaking up attacks and guarding the defence, when he played along side Wooton they were only effective when Wooton did the defensive work and layed it off to Morgan to do something more creative.

I admit I have not seen him play nearly enough to give an opinion worth anything but from the little I have seen I would have him further up the park.

This brazilian sounds like he will be taking that role so maybe Morgan will be further back than I thought. Dont see him on the right unless he will be doing the becks type passes from the half way line and he wont shift Lallana from the left so he will have to shift Hammond or Wooton or be 1 of 5 in the middle with 1 striker missing out.

Maybe,

-----------Hammond-------------

Punch----Morgan----------Lallana

----------------Guly-------------

---------Lambert----------------

??

Well, I really hope so.

I am just not comfortable with loans. I think they perform to a misleading level (not bothered, or other extreme - Saganowski Syndrome), and therefore no basis on which to build a promotion campaign.

So did Papa and Antonio, you know, the players you were so desperate for us to sign perform to a misleading level? Just as well we didn't get them then as they must have had 'Saganowski Syndrome'. Thank f*ck for that.

So did Papa and Antonio, you know, the players you were so desperate for us to sign perform to a misleading level? Just as well we didn't get them then as they must have had 'Saganowski Syndrome'. Thank f*ck for that.

It's a great point, and to completely dismiss loans is terribly naive of how football is going these days. As you rightly say we exploited the loan market last season very well with the captures of Antonio, Waigo, and to a slightly lesser extent with Jacob Mellis. Prior to that we've done well from the likes of Danny Guthrie, Jack Cork, Saijis, Richard Wright, Chris Lucketti etc etc. perhaps all of whom we would not have been able to attract without the benefit of the loan system.

Also while there is apparently "Saganowski syndrome" there must also be "Rasiak syndrome", who lets not forget also started here with us on loan. And Alpine didn't seem to mind him too much.

Pardew in that interview talks about him being central midfield.

So a midfield of...

Lallana Guly Schneiderlin Puncheon

With Dickson, Wotton, Hammond, Chamberlain and Holmes to cover.

Would also mean Jose Fonte probably becomes team captain. Fonte will also probably be acting as translator for Guly.

Interesting he mentioned Les Reid who is heading Scounting & Development. That suggests the "committee" on player recruitment is as I suspected - Nicola Cortese, Alan Pardew, Les Reid and David Burke. As long as the Manager is not marginalised this appears a sound set up.

Interesting he mentioned Les Reid who is heading Scounting & Development. That suggests the "committee" on player recruitment is as I suspected - Nicola Cortese, Alan Pardew, Les Reid and David Burke. As long as the Manager is not marginalised this appears a sound set up.

Strachan used to do the same, i remember reading when we signed Prutton that they had a 'comittee' of 6, they all agreed on Prutton. Not sure who was on it though. Seems a great idea to have a few opinions.

Nice, happy with that, hopefully he will turn into just the player we need and a low risk transfer too, luverly.

4-5-1 please, drop Barnard and play Gully, i know LB has been playing well but i get the feeling we only play 442 to accomodate him and IMO its not a formation to be used to break teams down with. We looked better playing 451 last year with an option to move to 442 if its not working.

Another CM and backup to Rickie and we are sorted. (although a couple more than that i won't complain either!)

On another note, Delgado always looked good for me (away from Soton) he was just a liability, Delgado was only Lowes deal, at the time we wanted Forlan for 300K but got Delgado for 3.2m, which stinks a bit too much for my liking.

As for Weston/Alpines we need players to definately improve the team, you will never ever buy a player to definately improve a team, you just buy players you think will and hope they work out. Kaka was apparantly the best player in the world but hasn't really set the world alight at Real Madrid for example.

Stop p*ssing and moaning, and really, Alps, how can you not see why you get so much abuse when you jump from one extreme to the other whilst managing to sit firmly in the grumpy camp ?

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Have you ever had a positive word to say?

Who knows how good he will be, you're using your usual guesswork, as soon as we sign someone you say he may not be good enough, but as always i could just say he will be fantastic, it doesn't make me right. Your using pure guesswork, why not comment on him after the 2 games this week Alpine?

This!

Strachan used to do the same, i remember reading when we signed Prutton that they had a 'comittee' of 6, they all agreed on Prutton. Not sure who was on it though. Seems a great idea to have a few opinions.

Strachan's autobiography tends to tell a slightly different picture though, with scouts like Terry Cooper selling Lowe on players (most notably Delgado and Cleber Chala, but also Peter Crouch to be fair) and Lowe pressurising Strachan to sign them.

I don't really care what the method employed is; whether it's the manager finding a player, recommended one by the scouts, the owner having a brainwave, whatever. So long as they can do a job and the manager wants them in the team, get them in.

I think the whole club is trying to be based on a team effort from all area's. NC being the "main man" will never work unless he has other "main men" that are experts in there field. collectivly it should be good.

If one is not up to the job then it shouldnt mean all the other wheels fall off.

I have been trying to think of a song for him, the only one I can come up with and those that were boy scouts around 40 years ago will rmember it, "Gin gan goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha gin gan goo, no! I did not think so, I will get me coat and go then.

WIFM

Only people on this board would moan about us signing a brazillian who decided instead of signing for Roma wanted to come here.....We could sign Ronaldo,Messi etc and some would still ***** about something..........

You are misleading your self, and others. There was no offer from Roma, only a rumour of interest months ago that did not come to anything.

is it possible to start one thread on this site without it turning into a ****ing slagging match?

Err, No. But thats half the fun, isn't it?

You are misleading your self, and others. There was no offer from Roma, only a rumour of interest months ago that did not come to anything.

Interesting as he says "Although there was interest in me from other Serie A clubs". Which to me suggests i guess maybe some other clubs might have been interested in him?

Then on the news piece it say's "with other clubs interested in signing the 28 year old most notably Chievo and Roma".

But i guess you know better then the player and club right? ;)

I find the signing encouraging but i am not over excited. He has never played in the top flight, despite signing for Fiorentina, he never played for them. Worryingly had a terrible time with injuries while there. Hmmmmm The rest of his career is spent at 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier of Italian football and 3rd tier of Brazilian football.

I'd like to think he will be a good signing for us, but just because he has come from Serie A and is Brazilian does not mean he will be better than sliced ciabata.

Yes I know we are in the third tier of football so lets hope he fits right in.

When I saw Apline Saints initial post I was suprised and agreed with S-Clarke's response. However, I see what Apline means now. We need to sign players we know will make a difference not gamble on them doing so. This suggests weak Management and a lack of certainty.

On this one though I am making an exception. I think the loan part is good business. Brazilians often find it difficult to settle in our climate and tha pace of our football is totally different. I am sure the club think he will make a difference but why gamble on a relative unknown.

I suspect this was not Pardews decision alone.

Of couse it might have been the player who insisted on it being a loan with an option. He might have been able to go to Roma if information in the media is correct. He wanted to try English football

We all wish him well and a success. At least coming to Southampton he will have access to the best part of England, especially looking Westwards.

Funny you should say that Ron. I think this looks like another Cortese Italian connection signing similar qualities to Waigo. We all know what happened then Pardew had never seen him and despit his obvious value under-utilised him.

But then Pardew has form, in similar circumstances he was given two of the best players in the world in Tevez and Mascherano and didn't have the wit to build the side around them instead trying to get them to fit in to the Pardew pattern. When it didn't work, he left them out, look at them now. I can see this not being Pardew's decision, so unless he comes in and proves undroppable I wouldn't be surprised to see him messed about as Waigo was. However I can't see Cortese letting that happen for long if it does.

I find the signing encouraging but i am not over excited. He has never played in the top flight, despite signing for Fiorentina, he never played for them. .

He played for Perugia in Serie A 17 times, even played in Uefa Cup 4 times. That is a lot higher level then most of our squad have played at i would say.