"Guly" Signing Confirmed

Nexstar

I doubt if there is anyone on here who doesn't want Guly to prove to be a great signing. He fits the bill for a stronger midfield presence and MF attack so now we have to see if he performs as well as we all hope. Better to praise him after you've seen him play, rather than wet yourself over a player none of us know, but it does show intention and commitment by Cortese and Pardew, for which they deserve the credit. Good for them for taking the risk and for the loan arrangment as insurance.

as far as I can see there is no argument on here. Everyone bar 1 or 2 feels this way.

WTF are you on about, Spock ? The whole concept of debate is to discuss opinion, and feeling and emotion play a role in forming an opinion.

What are you basing this feeling on? I think your main problem is that most people have said something like "sounds like a good signing, could go either way though but lets wait and see" whereas you wade in with "FFS a loan, I have a bad feeling about this Pardew isn't sure if he is the right player FFS season is f*cked up already" which I'm sorry but IMO is a completely ridiculous view to take.

Nice to have a Brazilian in the team and looks like it could be a big scoop.

I would have thought he would be replacing Morgan as the attacking midfileder and leave Hammond as the defensive midfielder? Dont really see Morgan as a defensive kind of player and I would be supprised to see 2 attacking midfielders in the middle without dropping one of the strikers.

Judging by his haircut I think he may have taken the brazillian wax a little too far though.

On Twitter:

@officialsaints History suggests we'll be lucky to see him at the weekend, let alone tomorrow, knowing what the Italian FA are like.

@SteveGrant1983 Had same issues with Papa last year, but helps when the Chairman knows how to work the system in Italy - fingers crossed!

Only people on this board would moan about us signing a brazillian who decided instead of signing for Roma wanted to come here.....We could sign Ronaldo,Messi etc and some would still ***** about something.

I don't know much about this guy but from his videos he seems big and powerful,fast and has a ferocious right foot that could do some serious damage. We needed an attacking midfielder and he looks like someone who fits the bill. So well done Pardew and Cortese for bringing him in!

All we need now in my view is a winger i.e Antonio and a central defender for when Jaidi get's locked up for one of his tackles and were be alright!

In his interview on Solent AP said that we are hoping to get another player in before Saturday Antonio? or a back up for RL

Guly sounds like he could pitch in as a target man up front when Rickie is out so I'd say a winger. We need to stop getting our hopes up about Antonio as it appears Reading are asking us to pay way over the odds for him. If anything, we should wait until January when the price may drop to prevent him leaving for free in the summer.

Only people on this board would moan about us signing a brazillian who decided instead of signing for Roma wanted to come here.....We could sign Ronaldo,Messi etc and some would still ***** about something.

I don't know much about this guy but from his videos he seems big and powerful,fast and has a ferocious right foot that could do some serious damage. We needed an attacking midfielder and he looks like someone who fits the bill. So well done Pardew and Cortese for bringing him in!

All we need now in my view is a winger i.e Antonio and a central defender for when Jaidi get's locked up for one of his tackles and were be alright!

Only one poster has so far.

Funny you mention him, I thought "Delgado" after reading the report too.

So you think Delgado yet moan about it not being a permanent deal? If people are weary of him doing a Delgado then getting him on a loan is pretty much common sense?

Btw, I'm not overly excited by this like others. I'd urge everyone to calm down a tad. The Chievo and Roma links are clearly turd, he wouldn't choose us over them. From now two Italian friends I have spoke to, one on a forum and another I know, both have said his record is due to his pens and Cesena have been wanting him out so they could improve there squad, so he's not a Serie A player. He's not spent much time at any club, and has a few injury problems over his career and that 4 minute video of him that everyone is cumming over, shows him scoring about 4 goals, 1 of which is a pen. 2 Great strikes and some good runs/crosses though but all videos are obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The loan makes perfect sense. Alpine moaning and showing his stupidity once again on that matter but totally understand the caution.

is it possible to start one thread on this site without it turning into a ****ing slagging match?

Personally, I'm pleased we're trying to address the midfield where we know we have issues - it means that AP and NC can see the same problems as us and have moved to get a tall, pacy, skillful attacking midfielder. What more can we ask for?

So you think Delgado yet moan about it not being a permanent deal? If people are weary of him doing a Delgado then getting him on a loan is pretty much common sense?

Btw, I'm not overly excited by this like others. I'd urge everyone to calm down a tad. The Chievo and Roma links are clearly turd, he wouldn't choose us over them. From now two Italian friends I have spoke to, one on a forum and another I know, both have said his record is due to his pens and Cesena have been wanting him out so they could improve there squad, so he's not a Serie A player. He's not spent much time at any club, and has a few injury problems over his career and that 4 minute video of him that everyone is cumming over, shows him scoring about 4 goals, 1 of which is a pen. 2 Great strikes and some good runs/crosses though but all videos are obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The loan makes perfect sense. Alpine moaning and showing his stupidity once again on that matter but totally understand the caution.

F*cking hell, you make him sound sh*t.

Seems like the perfect deal to me. A player who is reportedly much higher than L1 standard, strong, able to play in our weakest areas, and if he doesn't settle into lower league England - we can send him packing.

Perfic

WIFM

Rubbish.

Professor's post represents the most sensible and balance perspective posted on this move so far.

I only said I was underwhelmed and it feels wrong. I remain open-minded.

You also said

Why is it only a loan, FFS ? He could walk away in January.

When he can't.

I very VERY much doubt that is the case. Seems like a good signing though.

Depends,

He may be desperate for first team football, and at Roma that would be very unlikely.

We'll just have to see how he performs but if he can take a player on and stretch our opponents maybe he is the spark that we need to break down sides that will get 10 men behind the ball.

On the face of it he is just the sort of player we need.

People have made valid points about the Delgado syndrome but the structure of the deal looks like it covers that to a degree

Nice to have a Brazilian in the team and looks like it could be a big scoop.

I would have thought he would be replacing Morgan as the attacking midfileder and leave Hammond as the defensive midfielder? Dont really see Morgan as a defensive kind of player and I would be supprised to see 2 attacking midfielders in the middle without dropping one of the strikers.

Judging by his haircut I think he may have taken the brazillian wax a little too far though.

Interesting that you don't see Morgan as a defensive player, IMO the makalele role is his best position!

I'd like to see AP try summat like this against Bolton tomorrow :

------------Schniederlin------------

Punch-----------------------Lallana

---------------Guly---------------

----Lambert----------Barnard------

This would also give us the option of bringing on Hammond to sure up midfield if we're leading with 20 mins to go

Nope, just not a gushing happy-clapper. This signing feels wrong.

Happy to be proven wrong, of course.

Just because YOU describe others as `happy clappy' it doesn't actually mean they are happy clappy. Usually it just means they are just a little less negative than you.

In his interview on Solent AP said that we are hoping to get another player in before Saturday Antonio? or a back up for RL

I really hope it's a big bruiser CM who can tackle and string some passes together. That's the kind of player we lacked last season and what we need if we're going to win mid-week, winter away games on sh!t pitches.

Just because YOU describe others as `happy clappy' it doesn't actually mean they are happy clappy. Usually it just means they are just a little less negative than you.

I have been accused several times of demanding signings for the sake of it. Sod their quality.

Well, I reckon a lot of people on here feel obliged to applaud a signing just because its a signing. Nobody has a f**king clue if he will deliver. Most people dont even know who he is.

Look at the abuse anyone who questioned the Dickson signing got. Now look how that has worked out.

I have been accused several times of demanding signings for the sake of it. Sod their quality.

Well, I reckon a lot of people on here feel obliged to applaud a signing just because its a signing. Nobody has a f**king clue if he will deliver.

Look at the abuse anyone who questioned the Dickson signing got. Now look how that has worked out.

Nobody has a f**king clue that he won't!!! Oh sorry you have a feeling about it.

Well, I reckon a lot of people on here feel obliged to applaud a signing just because its a signing. Nobody has a f**king clue if he will deliver.

Hence why Pardew has got him on loan, which you were 'underwhelmed' by.

Dickson has promise, having seen him play.

By the time we decide that, the season will be over the half-way mark.

I aint going to lie, the sort of signing I was looking for was someone like Danns or Stock, where we had put some more serious money down and secured his services as part of the aim of building this team to compete in the Championship that AP keeps referring to.

Dickson has promise, having seen him play.

Yeah, but you're making a judgment on actually having seen him play, after only 3 games. Alpine clearly has a better feeling about how it will turn our after having not see him in action.

What an obvious WUM; sad really.

I shall reserev judgment until I see him play... I mean come on, over the years we've been told player X Y Z is mustard.. what was that argie we had in that was reportedly the fasttest players over 100m... torpedo or something, can't remember him every playing a game...

Nothing wrong with that. Nevertheless, until he is seen in action, I remain underwhelmed.

Rubbish again. You cant force someone to stay and sign a contract if they dont want to.

In the case of Antonio, didn't the extra year just kick in without him having the opportunity to refuse it and sign for us on m ore money?

I would suggest that when Guly agreed to join us on loan he will have also agreed terms on the permenent contract should we chose to go through with it. There won't be a renegotiation of terms come January, we will either enforce the transfer or not. He has no say in the matter. If he does the business he will stay simple as. Yes true he could get home sick and not want the move and we decide not to bother, but it would be worse if we had spent the million and given him a three year deal.

When I saw Apline Saints initial post I was suprised and agreed with S-Clarke's response. However, I see what Apline means now. We need to sign players we know will make a difference not gamble on them doing so. This suggests weak Management and a lack of certainty.

On this one though I am making an exception. I think the loan part is good business. Brazilians often find it difficult to settle in our climate and tha pace of our football is totally different. I am sure the club think he will make a difference but why gamble on a relative unknown.

I suspect this was not Pardews decision alone.

Of couse it might have been the player who insisted on it being a loan with an option. He might have been able to go to Roma if information in the media is correct. He wanted to try English football

We all wish him well and a success. At least coming to Southampton he will have access to the best part of England, especially looking Westwards.

Why? How can you possibly come to that conclusion if you have never seen him play? It's like you forming an opinion on a saints player without ever seeing him...oh.

Because it is not the sort of player I envision doing the sort of job that we need done at this level.

We will find out soon enough, I suppose.

When I saw Apline Saints initial post I was suprised and agreed with S-Clarke's response. However, I see what Apline means now. We need to sign players we know will make a difference not gamble on them doing so. This suggests weak Management and a lack of certainty.

On this one though I am making an exception. I think the loan part is good business. Brazilians often find it difficult to settle in our climate and tha pace of our football is totally different. I am sure the club think he will make a difference but why gamble on a relative unknown.

Thanks for elaborating, R.

I suppose I am arguing that we should have parted with a few 100K more on a player with a higher confidence level to deliver what is needed.

Rubbish.

Professor's post represents the most sensible and balance perspective posted on this move so far.

I only said I was underwhelmed and it feels wrong. I remain open-minded.

sorry Alps..but how on earth can you possibly feel underwhelmed about a player you have not seen play? Who were you expecting?

. From now two Italian friends I have spoke to, one on a forum and another I know, both have said his record is due to his pens and Cesena have been wanting him out so they could improve there squad, so he's not a Serie A player.

My family are Italian (hence the name) and still live in Turin. I watch Serie A as much as i can when it is on tv. And i know feck all about this guy because Serie B doesn't have much coverage. However i do know that last season he scored 9 goals. 1 Against Modena, 2 against Grosstto, 1 against Reggina, 1 against Piecenza, 2 against Lecce, 1 against Triestina, 1 against Gallipoli. 4 of those were penalties meaning a chunk of his goals were penalties. But that does not mean he is crap, look at Lampard, how many goals of his are from penalties?

He has played in the Uefa cup 4 times and played 17 Serie A games. How many people in our squad or in any of the league one squads have played at the top level and in europe who are still in their twenties? I doubt many.

Last year he played 34 games of which 32 were starts. Not bad considering there are only 42 games.

I think your friends might have got him mixed up with someone else.

Thanks for elaborating, R.

I suppose I am arguing that we should have parted with a few 100K more on a player with a higher confidence level to deliver what is needed.

Like we did with Fonte, I agree but they are few and far apart. It is difficult getting someone to drop leagues who have the recognised skill and class.