"Guly" Signing Confirmed

Nexstar

You let yourself down by generally being a little bit thick. The article clearly says we have 1st option to buy him in January. If we signed him outright now, and he turned out to be awful, you'd be the first moaning that our scouts aren't up to it and what a waste of money. The loan gives us the best of both worlds, if he turns out to be a success we can sign him in January, if he turns out not to be, then we can let him go back with no real damage done. It's a no brainer and a great deal for Saints.

I really wish that people on my ignore list would be invisible in peoples replies. My only option to cut Alpine the idiot out of my life completely is to ask you anyone replying to one of his idiotic posts, please please don't quote his original. What a bloody moron.

I'm pleased with this signing but just hope that he is better than the previous South Americans we signed.
On that note, does anyone know when his birthday is so we can give him some special treatment on the day.......this will prevent him returning to his native country in a sulk for a couple of weeks.

On that note, does anyone know when his birthday is so we can give him some special treatment on the day.......this will prevent him returning to his native country in a sulk for a couple of weeks.

With agent/s + translators+ best friend+parents! Oh, those were the 'happy' days under Rupert.

Excellent news. I hope he turns out to be tremendous. Even better that we have signed him on a loan deal with a view to a permenant move. That is exactly what you want - zero risk transfer, lovely.

hmmm id rather that we signed him permanent.didnt we have papa and antonio on these type of deals both ? both done well and neither came back. also the chance that if he is awesome we could get gazumped by bigger clubs

hmmm id rather that we signed him permanent.didnt we have papa and antonio on these type of deals both ? both done well and neither came back. also the chance that if he is awesome we could get gazumped by bigger clubs
What if he turned out to be pants? It has to be the better way of doing it when you are bringing in players that have zero experience of English football - especially at our pitiful level.

Let's hope he doesn't get to those lovely, bracing November & December crisp (ie; sub zero) mornings over there on the training ground at Staplewood and think: "Brrrrrr - what the f@*k have I done???" ;)

Sounds a very good signing tbh. I do so love a Brazilian.

Do you know how cold it get's in Italy during th winter months??? Weather will not be a problem....

Are you unable to read? The article clearly says he is on loan until the January window, when we have the option of securing him on a permanent basis. How on earth is that in any way a bad deal for the club?

Because it means we are not sure he is the player to kick start our season and do the business for us. I would have expected AP to have more confidence about his signings than that, seeing as he has pondered them all summer long..

By January we might too far adrift again.

Pardew didn't want Papa back, and Papa didn't want to come back. Pardew didn't rate him that's why he never played him and went out and bought Barnard, Papa was not impressed by not being played so wouldn't come back to sit on the bench again.

Antonio was a loan with no fixed agreement to sign. Guly's deal differs in that there is obviously a deal to sign should it work out. If the deal is done right then there will be no `gazzumping' opportunity. A similar deal was done by the Skates when they loaned in Yakubu. Having impressed in the championship there was loads of interest, but they already had the price set in stone and no one could gazump them.

Only shock is that it took you 77 posts to say it.

So, to conclude:

Sign no-one - Alps wants to sign anyone

Sign someone - we still need more

Loan someone - he'll leave and it's underwhelming anyway

Sign someone you've heard of - he isn't good enough

Sign someone you haven't heard of - never heard of him, probably rubbish

A loan with first option to buy negates risk. How is that possibly a bad thing? If he's ****, he leaves, if he's good we sign him. It's a signing, in a vital area, with some reason to believe he may have quality. How is that not a positive?

I am glad he has signed someone, but although this is a low-risk strategy to the club, it is a HIGH RISK strategy to our promotion campaign this season, imo.

Because it means we are not sure he is the player to kick start our season and do the business for us. I would have expected AP to have more confidence about his signings than that, seeing as he has pondered them all summer long..

By January we might too far adrift again.

Every signing is done with the best intentions, but not many work out how you want them to. He could get home sick or anything. Pardew will have confidence, but who knows how he will settle in.

As for being too far adrift, doesn't a signing help try to prevent that? Not sure what your point is there.

Oh look at that. We've signed a player who could have been playing in Serie A this season.

A player of high quality from the video clip, with pace power and height to play in CM. A steal of a deal accoring to all on here.

Now if only AP and the club had told us that they were taking time, being careful and looking for the RIGHT player to help complete the jigsaw of the team.

Oh that's right, they did din't they.

Patient fans who read, listen and trust our new structure 1 - Moaners 0

Hate to pour cold water on your pre-conceived approach that everything the management do is fantastic - err, no I don't, I'm happy to do it.....

His club have off-loaded him on being promoted to Serie A, so he's not a Serie A player. There were rumours that Lazio and Roma were interested earlier in the summer but either they were just rumours or they decided against him. A 4min video clip can make any player look good, even Delgado and the club aren't sure they have got the right player, which is why he's on a 5 months loan before they decide whether to offer him a permanent deal or not. The idea that no other player could have been brought into this role at any time in the past 4 months and that Guly is uniquely right is plainly stupid.

I doubt if there is anyone on here who doesn't want Guly to prove to be a great signing. He fits the bill for a stronger midfield presence and MF attack so now we have to see if he performs as well as we all hope. Better to praise him after you've seen him play, rather than wet yourself over a player none of us know, but it does show intention and commitment by Cortese and Pardew, for which they deserve the credit. Good for them for taking the risk and for the loan arrangment as insurance.

Hate to pour cold water on your pre-conceived approach that everything the management do is fantastic - err, no I don't, I'm happy to do it.....

His club have off-loaded him on being promoted to Serie A, so he's not a Serie A player. There were rumours that Lazio and Roma were interested earlier in the summer but either they were just rumours or they decided against him. A 4min video clip can make any player look good, even Delgado and the club aren't sure they have got the right player, which is why he's on a 5 months loan before they decide whether to offer him a permanent deal or not. The idea that no other player could have been brought into this role at any time in the past 4 months and that Guly is uniquely right is plainly stupid.

I doubt if there is anyone on here who doesn't want Guly to prove to be a great signing. He fits the bill for a stronger midfield presence and MF attack so now we have to see if he performs as well as we all hope. Better to praise him after you've seen him play, rather than wet yourself over a player none of us know, but it does show intention and commitment by Cortese and Pardew, for which they deserve the credit. Good for them for taking the risk and for the loan arrangment as insurance.

Funny you mention him, I thought "Delgado" after reading the report too.

Pardew could be extremely confident that this will work out, but you can never be 100 percent certain. If you have the chance to do a deal like this then I would always do it. It means that even if there is a slim possibility that he is sh1te or that he gets a bad injury then we can send him back no strings attached. Anyone who moans about that is a troll and just looking to get people's backs up IMO.

Have we ever had a Brazilian player before? Hopefully he'll bring the "chaos" factor that Papa Waigo was meant to bring last season. Looks like a good signing though. Now for a pacey striker, a centre back and possibly a nice versatile player who could cover 2 or 3 positions.

Haven't read about the actual player, but i've been nosing around the Cesena web-sites, and when you consider that their crowds are half of ours, it makes more sense that he should come here. The highest crowd I saw on their reports was 12k, but generally a lot less. We got 17k for an early round paint pot game the other day, which puts our relative financial position into perspective.

WTF are you on about? It feels wrong? FEELS? What is the point in discussing something with you if you are basing your opinion on feelings.

WTF are you on about, Spock ? The whole concept of debate is to discuss opinion, and feeling and emotion play a role in forming an opinion.