Sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality

Dave Benson Phillips

Did you not know that business is currently in recession and this type of expense is normally reduced until conditions improve?

Well can you explain to me why every other stadium I visited last season ( about 15 ) in League 1 seem to have alot of sponsorship and advertising and the ones I remember noticing... busy hospitality areas?

Maybe you should pop over from America yourself, that might give you grounds for a reasonable debate then? :D

Well can you explain to me why every other stadium I visited last season ( about 15 ) in League 1 seem to have alot of sponsorship and advertising and the ones I remember noticing... busy hospitality areas?

Maybe you should pop over from America yourself, that might give you grounds for a reasonable debate then? :D

Last season was last season. Circumstances change.

I 'pop' over every 3 months.

I am not saying that it is the only reason, but it is certainly a consideration you would take into account as an advertiser. And as far as 'TV Facing' sponsorship goes, I didn't notice one non-Football League sponsor on that side. When you look round other stadiums, it is not as bad for other clubs... just wonder what ours is doing wrong.

Cost, value for money and competition I guess.

Just out interest what other L1 teams advertising boards have you seen this season?

Just how obsessed do you need to be to give a ****?.....really?

To think some peeps actually 'pay' money to come and take part in this obsession fest

Yep, **** the football, I'm counting advertising hoardings.

The amount of advertising at a ground does not necessarily reflect the total value of the revenue stream. Whilst I have no definitive knowledge of the rates every club in League 1 charges for advertising what I can see with my own eyes is that the vast majority of the boards around grounds are for small local businesses, I therefore assume the rates are low and the total revenue stream equally low. It may be Saints are aiming to attract national or even international brands at higher rates based on our expectations of promotion and a higher profile. If this is the policy the real test is not the amount of advertising but the total value of the revenue stream. As with most things quality beats quantity.

Just how obsessed do you need to be to give a ****?.....really?

To think some peeps actually 'pay' money to come and take part in this obsession fest

The fact is that it is a measure that can be applied in assessing the overall health of the club, just like the US unemployment figures are a measure that can be applied in assessing the overall health of your country.

Comparing as like for like as possible, I used Sheff Weds

Exec Box Hire

Sheff Weds £88+VATpp

Saints £110 - £135+VATpp

Exec Club

Sheff Weds £71+VAT

Saints £120+VAT

'Carvery'

Sheff Weds £55+VAT

Saints £99+VAT

Although not sure whether beer is thrown in with Wednesday... still.... even without, a marked difference in prices...

arent sheff weds close to admin though? could explain the lower prices, reduce the price to get more bums on bar stalls so to speak

Other Corporate areas and pitchside advertising seem to be aplenty at other grounds, I don't think it is just Southampton that have been through a recession. I think it is more of a case of 'value for money'. Locally, we have lost a massive amount of money to the Rose Bowl in every way, matchday and non-matchday events.
As usual, you seem incapable of seeing where your feeble arguments fall down, when often there are weak points in your own post. Just as an example, kindly furnish us with a list of third division clubs that have a County Cricket club in their back yard competing for business. I don't think that you'll be able to give many. Also, in case it escaped your notice, we are still in the cricket season and the Rose Bowl is doing rather well with televised matches. Do you think that the ground advertising hoardings will remain through the winter? Or will some of those advertisers come back to St. Mary's?

Shouldn't make any difference, the club should just adjust prices to take into account the recession.

I'm in advertising and somebody much earlier on the thread stated entirely correctly that Company's Finance Directors have too much say on expenditure and that as the revenue return is impossible to forecast, advertising expenditure is an easy victim for the axe. Often they make the excuse of saying that if it is a case of reducing expenditure on things like this or laying off workers, it is a simple choice.

We are owned by a family with billions of personal wealth.

They have declined to take up a shirt sponsor this season.

That says to me that obtaining sponsorship is not that high on our list of priorities.

It also suggests perhaps we are thinking we will be in a better negotiating position next season if we are in the championship, which would bring in potentially greater revenue, long term.

Taking all that into account, does anybody really give a **** if there is a lack of sponsors and corporates at the St Marys? If you do I suggest you get out more. I actually prefer a stadium that doesnt ram corporate branding down my throat every five minutes.

Stu, are you saying you only watch the Football League Show to take note of the league 1 advertising hoardings? Do you sit there with a clipboard making notes?

Why do you support Saints exactly? All you do is pick holes in everything about the club, mostly on subjects that you blatantly have no real understanding of the situation.

Is this the big revelation that Stu was waiting to unravel? I'm still waiting for it.

The fact is that it is a measure that can be applied in assessing the overall health of the club, just like the US unemployment figures are a measure that can be applied in assessing the overall health of your country.

The only thing that matters to me when assesing the health of the club, is the league table.

Rupert Lowe got absolutely slated (and rightly so) for trying to suggest that despite relegation, the clubs off the field infrastructure was more of an indication of where the club was.

I do not give a damn about sponsors boards, corporate boxes, how the newspapers refer to us and so on.

All that matters is the score at 5PM on a saturday, and the league table. I really feel that anybody getting so caught up in the overall corporate health of the club has lost their way a little as a football supporter.

As usual, you seem incapable of seeing where your feeble arguments fall down, when often there are weak points in your own post. Just as an example, kindly furnish us with a list of third division clubs that have a County Cricket club in their back yard competing for business. I don't think that you'll be able to give many. Also, in case it escaped your notice, we are still in the cricket season and the Rose Bowl is doing rather well with televised matches. Do you think that the ground advertising hoardings will remain through the winter? Or will some of those advertisers come back to St. Mary's?

Firstly, advertising in general will be done on a seasonal basis... it's much better value rather than on a match by match basis.

Secondly... without even bothering to look down the list, take a look at Sheffield Wednesday, who have a well supported higher division team a couple of miles up the road... yet they seem to be doing well.

So what exactly is flawed?

We are owned by a family with billions of personal wealth. Who are running the club as a profit-making BUSINESS.

They have declined to take up a shirt sponsor this season.

That says to me that obtaining sponsorship is not that high on our list of priorities. lol, every single revenue stream is high on the list of priorities. There is a whole department who specifically sell Corporate Hospitality and Advertising

It also suggests perhaps we are thinking we will be in a better negotiating position next season if we are in the championship, which would bring in potentially greater revenue, long term

Wrong again, pitchside advertising are sold on a seasonsal or match by match basis, so what happens next season is irrelevent.

Taking all that into account, does anybody really give a **** if there is a lack of sponsors and corporates at the St Marys? If you do I suggest you get out more. I actually prefer a stadium that doesnt ram corporate branding down my throat every five minutes.

It was just an observation you hysterical tart... if it doesn't interest you, why have you taken time to post on here?

Stu, are you saying you only watch the Football League Show to take note of the league 1 advertising hoardings? Do you sit there with a clipboard making notes?

No, I made an observation... you don't have to sit there with a clipboard to notice that we don't seem to have many Corporate supporters/sponsors.

Why do you support Saints exactly? All you do is pick holes in everything about the club, mostly on subjects that you blatantly have no real understanding of the situation.

To p!ss on your fire, I have alot of understanding of Sponsorship and Advertising sales and how it works, especially at SFC specifically. I wasn't picking holes... just making an observation.

Is this the big revelation that Stu was waiting to unravel? I'm still waiting for it.

There is no big revelation... if you want to look further into things for reason then cost and competition could play a part in the lack of Hospitality takeup, I am not sure why so many sponsors have backed off this year, it does seem as though SFC are not as 'close' to the Corporate community as they were previous to this regime.

Make of that what you will.

Edited by Dave Benson Phillips

The money worries don't seem to be coming from Advertising, as the place is crammed with advertisers.

Didn't we also have loads of advertisers towards end of previous regime BUT we were not actually earning revenue from them ? Can't say this as fact as sure only saw it mentioned on here. Maybe Shef Wed suffering from same ?

Not being a football finance / marketing whizz kid, would suggest that there must be something wrong with Sheff Wed marketing if they can be in financial trouble and yet still have maxed out advertising. Maybe because of financial problems they have gone cheap on advertising whereas maybe we are holding out for premium price as we do not desperately need the advertising revenue at league one prices.

Maybe comparing like for like with Sheff Wed and other League one clubs isn't a good analogy to use ?

As stated, i'm no financial / marketing whizz kid but as we do not have facts at hand for advertisibg at all league one clubs not sure where this thread is going. I know you like dealing in hard facts, do you fancy checking out all other clubs websites to see if they have a sponsorship brochure available for download like Southampton do and then list comparative prices (insert little winkey thing here!)

Already done it with the 'like for like' Sheff Weds. And our prices are exactly the same ( to the penny ) :D

You can't compare to any other club in our League fairly, as the demand and value for money is mainly based on crowd attendance, then T.V exposure, then press exposure.

Already done it with the 'like for like' Sheff Weds. And our prices are exactly the same ( to the penny ) :D

To further the debate (i'm bored this morning) We are comparing a recently relegated 'championship' side who may well have existing contracts with advertisers with an existing league one club who seemed to allow all existing advertising contracts to run down as they are trying to achieve promotion and obtain championship advertising rates.

SO would guess that due to Championship status, Sheff Wed were already in a better position than Southampton with regards to existing advertisers. IF Southampton get promoted and Sheff Wed remain in League One we would then probably obtain a better 'like for like' comparison.

To further the debate (i'm bored this morning) We are comparing a recently relegated 'championship' side who may well have existing contracts with advertisers with an existing league one club who seemed to allow all existing advertising contracts to run down as they are trying to achieve promotion and obtain championship advertising rates.

SO would guess that due to Championship status, Sheff Wed were already in a better position than Southampton with regards to existing advertisers. IF Southampton get promoted and Sheff Wed remain in League One we would then probably obtain a better 'like for like' comparison.

Advertising is done on a seasonal basis. And prices/renewals negotiated each pre-season.

This has to be the case due the the Premier League having their own affilated sponsors which need advertising space. So it is like for like. And Sheff Weds are on the brink of Admin, I don't think they wouldn't bother to try and grab every penny possible.

In other words... you admit you don't know what you are talking about? :smug:

Stu, at least I dont pretend to know what I'm on about.

But go on, explain to me where you "have alot of understanding of Sponsorship and Advertising sales and how it works, especially at SFC specifically." because I am intrigued.

You are the leading cause of smug on this forum

Stu, at least I dont pretend to know what I'm on about.

But go on, explain to me where you "have alot of understanding of Sponsorship and Advertising sales and how it works, especially at SFC specifically." because I am intrigued.

You are the leading cause of smug on this forum

Because 1) I have worked extensively in a number of Sponsorship and Advertising sales roles.

2) I went for interview with SFC and was offered a job as a Corporate Sponsorship Sales Executive 18 months ago. So I done alot of research on SFC's advertising strategy and was shown around the various departments and explained in detail what the job would entail and how business was attracted.

3) I am a regular Corporate Customer myself at SFC in the MLT Suite or one of the Boxes... as a result have friends that have/are sponsoring SFC.

How's that?

Because 1) I have worked extensively in a number of Sponsorship and Advertising sales roles.

2) I went for interview with SFC and was offered a job as a Corporate Sponsorship Sales Executive 18 months ago. So I done alot of research on SFC's advertising strategy and was shown around the various departments and explained in detail what the job would entail and how business was attracted.

3) I am a regular Corporate Customer myself at SFC in the MLT Suite or one of the Boxes... as a result have friends that have/are sponsoring SFC.

How's that?

:lol:

How's that?

So why didn't you get the job, obviously they didn't share your marketing 'vision'

Funny that

How's that?

Read it again. I did get the job. I didn't take it ( because of the lack of job security due to pending administration ) . Stupid.

You didnt say you were offered the job. You just said you were shown round. Why do you have to resort to personal insults? Do you have some sort of inferiority complex?

You didnt say you were offered the job. You just said you were shown round. Why do you have to resort to personal insults? Do you have some sort of inferiority complex?

Let me post an extract from the post.

2) I went for interview with SFC and was offered a job as a Corporate Sponsorship Sales Executive 18 months ago.

There you go. xx

How's that?

I pretty much leave you alone nowadays DBP. But this story does grow more legs each time you tell it. ;)

I agree with Stu. We're never going to win the league with the meagre amount of pitchside hoardings this season. Anyone notice how many Plymouth have? And Leyton Orient? It's no coincidence that they've both got results against so far this season.

Stuart

The only 'FACT' on display here is that you clearly have no life. Otherwise you wouldn't spend it on here. That is indisputable.

I get bored on here after about 10 minutes. How can so many people rack up so many posts day in day out, basically saying the same thing over and over. Oh well, fair play to them.

I'm in advertising and somebody much earlier on the thread stated entirely correctly that Company's Finance Directors have too much say on expenditure and that as the revenue return is impossible to forecast, advertising expenditure is an easy victim for the axe. Often they make the excuse of saying that if it is a case of reducing expenditure on things like this or laying off workers, it is a simple choice.

Reply Dave Benson Phillips/Stu:

Firstly, advertising in general will be done on a seasonal basis... it's much better value rather than on a match by match basis.

Secondly... without even bothering to look down the list, take a look at Sheffield Wednesday, who have a well supported higher division team a couple of miles up the road... yet they seem to be doing well.

So what exactly is flawed?

Yes, of course most might go for a seasonal spend at reduced rates over a match by match spend. But as we're only a couple of matches into the new season, doesn't mean to say that advertising spaces will not be taken up as soon as the season progresses.

As for my second point, suggesting Sheffield Wednesday as an example to answer my challenge, is that the best you can do? Rather feeble, isn't it, especially as I asked for a list of third division clubs with a County Cricket Club in close proximity.

Most cities who have two or more clubs, some of which might be in the third division, are considerably bigger than Southampton. An old Club like Sheffield Wednesday is no more likely to lose fans to Sheffield United than we would to the Skates. Advertisers wishing to cover a broad spectrum of the local inhabitants that watched football would have to advertise at both grounds. I thought you would have realised that.

And you resisted commenting on whether you thought the advertising boards would be retained at the Rose Bowl through the bleak midwinter, or whether some of those advertisers might instead transfer their expenditure to St Mary's.

As for you having been accepted for the job but turning it down because of the insecurity pre-Markus/Cortese, I remain unconvinced that you will have had a good insight into the Club's policies on Corporate hospitality or advertising and sponsorship, as you did not work there. In any event, that was the previous regime, so things could be much different now.

Is it possible that the Mods could split 'The Saints' forum into two seperate forums? One could be called 'Football' for those that want to discuss matches, team lineups, formations, transfer activity, how the manager is performing, etc and the second could be called 'non-football' where those who choose could go to discuss issues such as corporate hospitality, installment packages, car parking barriers at SMS, match ticket booking fees, matchday photography at SMS and the myriad of other 'important' things that this board seems to have become swamped by in the past few months.

I can quite see why many posters are returning to a '3 a day' free membership as paying to contribute to the same old pointless discussions that are being dug up and gone over time and time again is not exactly good value for money.

Some of us have the luxury of being able to rack up the majority of their posts in work time. Others are jealous. :smug:

Glad you didnt take the saints job then if you spend most of your work time posting on the internet (Its my lunch hour at the momnet).

The club CHOSE not have a sponor this year, hence why there are "spaces" where the clubs MAIN sponsor would have had their pitch side advertising.

Have you not answered your own question? No MAIN sponsor = less advertising. It's not just pitch side as the programme, for example, would also have "spaces" where the clibs MAIN sponor would have been. Bloodyhell even the main entrance now has a blank "space" where the Flybe logo used to be.

But then you know this is one of the reasons don't you.

The *entire* stand-front on both Kingsland and Itchen were completely devoid of sponsors this week, but there were a few boards in front of the stand-front areas, so it wasn't any kind of "Markus" thing. They were hardly populated the previous week when we were live on tv either, but there were a few taken up.

There are, nevertheless, massive swathes of the ground where we've recently had adverts (eg last season) that are currently not taken up, for whatever reason.

Is it possible that the Mods could split 'The Saints' forum into two seperate forums? One could be called 'Football' for those that want to discuss matches, team lineups, formations, transfer activity, how the manager is performing, etc and the second could be called 'non-football' where those who choose could go to discuss issues such as corporate hospitality, installment packages, car parking barriers at SMS, match ticket booking fees, matchday photography at SMS and the myriad of other 'important' things that this board seems to have become swamped by in the past few months.

I can quite see why many posters are returning to a '3 a day' free membership as paying to contribute to the same old pointless discussions that are being dug up and gone over time and time again is not exactly good value for money.

What is stopping you discussing what you want on this forum?

Or maybe some of you should engage your brain a little bit before opening a thread?

"Sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality" is hardly a cryptic title is it? It's pretty obvious what the subject is about, so if you are not interested in that aspect of the club, then why the fook open the thread in the first place?

Or maybe some of you should engage your brain a little bit before opening a thread?

"Sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality" is hardly a cryptic title is it? It's pretty obvious what the subject is about, so if you are not interested in that aspect of the club, then why the fook open the thread in the first place?

I was going to say the same thing.