Transfer activity, or lack of

Huffton

If only it was as easy as some on here think. We want players that are really too good for this league, like Fonte. We were only able to sign him because Palace were in such strife. This means that they are probably at a Championship club and don't want to drop down unless we offer them big money (Pardew is the worried about their commitment - we've seen enough of them before), or they've been frozen out at their existing club (some probably just realising now the season's underway that they won't be first team regulars).

I was speaking to a friend who runs a non-league club, and he said it was definitely a game of brinkmanship, as players who were hanging on for higher league football and bigger wages finally decided that they couldn't risk waiting any longer. Our squad was so decimated last summer that it was much easier to sign better players, this year it's much tougher.

Because you constantly behave like a child. 2 games in and you are throwing your dummy out of the pram. I remember you managing to turn a 6-0 away win into a chance to have a dig at the manager at the time. It is a game Alpine. Whatever manager we have at any given point is doing his best to win matches, just as the opposition team manager is doing to us. We are not going to win every game, no matter who our manager or CEO is. If you can grasp those issues maybe we can have a grown up debate?

In a previous post SOG talked about people getting too depressed after just 3 games and said that if we are struggling after 10 games that would be the time to worry. But the club doesn't have the luxury of waiting 10 games because by then the season could be a write-off if results did not improve. NC and AP won't wait 10 games but what will they do?

Genuine team strengthening with quality to improve the first choice 11?

Impact subs, rather than first choice players?

Cover against injury for established players?

The only certainty on the forum is that some posters will applaud whatever they do, or if they do nothing. No names, you know who you are.

In a previous post SOG talked about people getting too depressed after just 3 games and said that if we are struggling after 10 games that would be the time to worry. But the club doesn't have the luxury of waiting 10 games because by then the season could be a write-off if results did not improve. NC and AP won't wait 10 games but what will they do?

The only certainty on the forum is that some posters will applaud whatever they do, or if they do nothing. No names, you know who you are.

and some will always find things to ***** and complain about. No names, you know who you are.

Spot on.

For me the test of a real fan is one who cares about the club, applauds what is done properly and criticises what is done sh*te.

Some people seem to think they are real fans because they applaud everything like mindless sheep.

I still think it makes no sense to panic after 2 league games.

The guy I spoke to is high up behind the scenes. Im very confident he knows whats going on.

I agree theres not a big problem if we sign great players on Aug 30th rather than average players on Aug 25th.

But the problem, as described to me, is not that. It's that AP has a "not made here" syndrome. I.e. he doesnt like recommendations from otehrs on principle.

As in "cutting off nose to spite face"?

Spot on.

For me the test of a real fan is one who cares about the club, applauds what is done properly and criticises what is done sh*te.

Some people seem to think they are real fans because they applaud everything like mindless sheep.

Ah yes ...those hideous mindless sheep who are so stupid they don't uncondtionally agree with you....God these sheep ...they are ruining your proper status as a living deity

None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes but if waiting a bit longer means that we get the right players in why should that be a problem?

BUT to quote one in situ manager, you need the team together pre season - that's apparently why we started slowly last year - evidently this year is different???

Come on AP this present situation just ain't going to get us anywhere we are not even clear ahead of the dross in this league yet so that isn't going to get us where we need to be. You have to be much braver and far more organised - you're leaving everything to chance - including tactics and team selection - same old, same old - we are predictable and so are you becoming.....

Considering all the coaching and back room staff changes I don't see any noticeable difference to the way we play or our fitness - change for change sake?

and some will always find things to ***** and complain about. No names, you know who you are.
Don't flatter yourself my friend, you were not on my list of sychophants, but you seem to have added yourself! If Do Pedro's signing is announced, I'll be there with the rest praising it, and I recognise that there may have been a valid reason for no signings in the past few weeks, but if the response to a poor start is not genuine team strengthening, then licking the manager's boots and saying well done we tried hard, will not be good enough for many of the fans.

Don't flatter yourself my friend, you were not on my list of sychophants, but you seem to have added yourself! If Do Pedro's signing is announced, I'll be there with the rest praising it, and I recognise that there may have been a valid reason for no signings in the past few weeks, but if the response to a poor start is not genuine team strengthening, then licking the manager's boots and saying well done we tried hard, will not be good enough for many of the fans.

Why? What do we know about him? a 4 minute you tube clip of his best bits, that is all. Yes he looks a decent player but who wouldn't if they just showed their best bits in a short film. The much meligned Paul Telfer (who i though was okay by the way) scored a terrific 30 yarder for us when he was here, stick that on a video with a few other passes, tackles etc then i am sure everyone would give him the same reaction. Until we have seen him deliver consistantly over a few months we cant really comment on if he is the Lionel Messi of League One. It always makes me laugh when you see people cracking one out over a player who a few days earlier no one had never even heard of. So in summary would i be pleased if we signed him? Probably, looks decent enough based on what i have seen, would i be overjoyed and praising the management and the board for the greatest signing since Keegan? No, well at least not until he proves himself.

Edited by Turkish

we are 2 hours and 6 minutes into Monday morning Alp's what did you expect? A 9am announcement of 3 new signings?

While saying "nothing's happening" is truly ridiculous as no-one on here has any clue what's really going on with negotiations behind the scenes, I'm getting ever more worried as the end of the transfer window approaches of our ability to get in the 3 more players we really need to contend this year. I still have faith it'll happen but would like to see it done before the last day.

Considering a team like Exeter City haven't PAID for a player for about 6 years shows that you don't have to spend lots just to produce a team capable of functioning in League 1. So the argument that 3-4mill spent just got us up to the standard of the other league 1 sides is a bit far fetched to say the least. The money we have already spent should be MORE than enough to get us promoted from this league. It now comes down to other factors...

While saying "nothing's happening" is truly ridiculous as no-one on here has any clue what's really going on with negotiations behind the scenes, I'm getting ever more worried as the end of the transfer window approaches of our ability to get in the 3 more players we really need to contend this year. I still have faith it'll happen but would like to see it done before the last day.

If somehow we secure the services of 3 new players in the next 8 days (v. v. doubtful, imo) we can expect they are good enough to get into the first XI.

Cue "Gelling" bullsh*t.

We really have f**ked this season up already.

If somehow we secure the services of 3 new players in the next 8 days (v. v. doubtful, imo) we can expect they are good enough to get into the first XI.

Cue "Gelling" bullsh*t.

I think many people have already stated that gelling is not an issue for only 3 players. It wasn't at Xmas for Fonte, Puncheon, Barnard or Seaborne so why would it be now?

We've had a p!ss poor start, that's for sure and I'm pretty disappointed we're seemingly still a fair distance from the squad we need to be. But we haven't "f*cked up" the season at all. Did Norwich "f*ck up" their season last year with a worse start than ours? You can throw the towel in now if you like, but I'll carry on supporting.

Cue "Gelling" bullsh*t.

Yep, two games in, it is f*cked.

Every time we have one of these threads we sign someone. :D

This can be locked now, though.

I think we should have a thread a day if it means we get the players in!

Can anyone actually clarify where "Guly" will play? I know the article says he's an attacking midfielder but any ideas whether that's been part of a midfield 2 or 3, is he out wide, or in the hole? Apologies if its been confirmed before but I've been away on hols and haven't trawled back through.

oh look, something has happened, happy now?

No, because it's too late, we are going to be gelling now, where is the cover for CM?

What? Do Prado can play there? Well where is the cover for the wing?

....What? Ok, but what about the cover for Lambert? What do you mean he can cover all three???

No, because it's too late, we are going to be gelling now, where is the cover for CM?

What? Do Prado can play there? Well where is the cover for the wing?

....What? Ok, but what about the cover for Lambert? What do you mean he can cover all three???

But what about if he gets injured? Who is going to cover for him then? We need to sign another player in case of this. And it's on f*cking loan, loans are not the answer.

Definitely looks like we wont make any more permanent signings.

Why? Surely this is ideal. What appears to be a decent player here who wants to prove himself, if he is good he is ours, if he turns out to be sh*te we send him back and not lumbered with big wages and spent a large fee on someone who aint up to it, how can the way this deal is structured be anything other than a good thing?

If we are looking at loan signings and thinking "maybe he'll work out", it seems to me that there is no prospect of shoe-ins coming up or the competition / price for them will be too high.

You're right, they probably didn't do any research on him, just looked on Champ manager and picked anyone who was available. Fact is not every signing does work out, Veron, Crespo, Schevhenko etc, who'd have thought that when they signed. So why gamble £1m on someone that might not, when you can get them for minimal outlay have a look at them, them look at us and assuming all goes well get a permenant deal. Do you not agree or should we just sign him for the sake of it? If it doesn't work out f*ck it, we are rich, it's only a £1m quid.

You're right, they probably didn't do any research on him, just looked on Champ manager and picked anyone who was available. Fact is not every signing does work out, Veron, Crespo, Schevhenko etc, who'd have thought that when they signed. So why gamble £1m on someone that might not, when you can get them for minimal outlay have a look at them, them look at us and assuming all goes well get a permenant deal. Do you not agree or should we just sign him for the sake of it? If it doesn't work out f*ck it, we are rich, it's only a £1m quid.

I would have put the aforementioned 1m on someone closer to home with much higher probability of success.

I would have put the aforementioned 1m on someone closer to home with much higher probability of success.

Such as? We tried to get Bailey and Danns and failed. Weren't you clamouring for the return of Papa a while back? he was a local lad wasn't he. You've got one of the signings you were depserate for, surely you must have raised a tiny little grin when you saw it announced?

Such as? We tried to get Bailey and Danns and failed. Weren't you clamouring for the return of Papa a while back? he was a local lad wasn't he. You've got one of the signings you were depserate for, surely you must have raised a tiny little grin when you saw it announced?

Of course I did, and I hope it works out.

But considering the critical nature of our activity in the market over the next few days, this has left me a little underwhelmed. Why is that so hard to understand ?

Of course I did, and I hope it works out.

But considering the critical nature of our activity in the market over the next few days, this has left me a little underwhelmed. Why is that so hard to understand ?

It's not hard to understand you being underwhelmed, not hard at all. Who where you expecting? Who would have made you all warm and glowing?